Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Mother Nature dropped Rose Bush in the wrong place!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 11, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CelticJane
Vancouver, WA

July 7, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9197350

Hi from Pacific Northwest,
For the 2nd year, Mother Nature has given me a couple of rose bushes, but they are in a location which will not support them and last years died.
The location where Ma Nature put them is very exposed to weather and can get very dry in high summer.
Also, we had trees in that very spot until 4 years ago, when we had to remove them. Not even weeds grew there for a couple of years.
How do I save these baby plants? Dig them up and move them? How should I prepare the soil? I am afraid a move might kill them but I think they will die where they are.

Thumbnail by CelticJane   Thumbnail by CelticJane
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9197373

If they're going to die where they are, then you really have nothing to lose by trying to move them if you're sure you want them. But rose bushes that pop up on their own where they weren't planted may not be a type of rose that you want--there are some wild rose species that can be invasive in some areas. I don't know what species this particular plant is or which ones (if any) are a problem in your area but I would see if you can find that out before you go to the trouble of transplanting them. You could try posting your pictures in the Plant ID forum to see if anyone can tell you what rose this is, although without flowers it may be hard to tell.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 8, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9198396

It looks a bit more to me like Rubus than Rosa... ?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9198800

I agree Altagardener...The leaves didn't look quite right for Rosa.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rubus+leaves&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=LiF&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yuP6T8aKG4Wa9gT0nOGDBw&ved=0CEYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1580&bih=757
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9198883

Yes, looks like blackberry or raspberry vines. Get your shovel out and get all of the roots while you still can if you don't want a whole yard full of that. Look over the fence, you may find the source if it's not a new seedling. They creep underground and come up... wherever.

Were the removed trees walnut, by chance?
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9199877

My first thought was blackberry, but if that's true, it would not have died. They are extremely hardy (invasive!)
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9200429

Can you take a pic of a stem? That would solve this.
CelticJane
Vancouver, WA

July 11, 2012
12:17 AM

Post #9201191

hallo all

I now have 9 little babies of whatever. The stems are very thorny. I will get a picture to post. If this is blackberry, are all of these connected under the earth?

My largest plant is shaping up like a vine, growing out rather than up.

The removed trees were not walnut, they were redwoods, put in about 30 years ago when there was lots of open ground - heartbreaking to take them out.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9201452

That certainly sounds like one of the berry plants...and yes, they do grow from runners underground.
CelticJane
Vancouver, WA

July 11, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #9202345

So here is a stem of this mystery plant...hope this solves it, as Purpleinopp suggests.
On another site, I saw that here in the Pacific NW, the Himalayan Blackberry is very invasive. Hopefully this ain't it. Any thoughts? And thanks to all for the help.

Thumbnail by CelticJane
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9202578

Here are pics for comparison

http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxious-weeds/weed-identification/blackberry.aspx
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9202908

Looks like the Himalayan blackberry to me, they also spread by seed and in spring they make new plants where the tips touch the ground. They grow by leaps and bounds. My back yard used to be completely covered with these things. The neighbors still have some.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America