-
AuthorContent
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9197508

This spring when my cone flower were just coming up, i thought a bunny might be in the yard. That in and of itself was strange because i have two dogs amd two cats that would surely not allow a visitor. But this morning, i caught my lab at "the salad bar" chomping away on the leaves. I shewed her away and she went right to the clump in the back garden. Does anyone else have this happen? Ive never had a dog eat anyying but grass before. I know they are herbavores, but cone flower?
Thanks
LesMc
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9198681

Maybe a little cayenne pepper might deter your pup! My dog has never done that, but I learned to go careful with bone meal...he LOVES that! Good luck, I love my cones...one of my favorites.
ryguy319
Owosso, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9243649

Yah my 1 year old black lab mix Maggie is notorious for digging up anything that I freshly plant. Even if she was not out or even home when I planted the bulbs or plant (she likes to go with out son in the car anywhere he goes she thinks she has to go).
So I know she hasn't seen me plant it but if I don't cover it with chicken wire or something to detour her from getting to it she will dig what ever I plan up she doesn't discriminate.
Also she has now gotten the first 2 cucumbers off my vine this season as dry as it has been I haven't had any cucumbers in July but just this month she has found, harvested, and ate 2 cucumbers. Just finds them picks them off the vine and proceeds to lay down in the back yard and devourer them every bit of them. Also she has been picking my green tomatoes and chomps on them.
We have chicken wire surrounding all of these plants but she just crushes it down and goes in for a look.
I guess I shouldn't complain at least she has an appetite for healthy things but I wish she would leave me some.
Last night I bought some mini cucumbers and was sitting there eating one and she was begging so I gave her the end of it and she ate it up and then wanted out so I let out and she headed right for my cucumber plant.
What a snot I yelled at her and she turned and sat down and just looked at me but I know what she was going to do.
Dogs gotta love em but they are too smart for their own good.
Jan

Thumbnail by ryguy319   Thumbnail by ryguy319         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9243791

Minne, I think the word you're looking for is 'carnivore.' Our cats are carnivores, too and they eat grass, pumpkin, canteloupe, peas, tomato sauce...peanuts, donuts, tortillas, ice cream...Anything that falls on the floor, they're all over it. LOL!

One of my cats is nutty for my Carex 'Ice Dance.' She has to be under it, chew it, roll in it.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 16, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9243843

No, I did mean herbivore - plant eaters. They do eat meat too, but I was referring to the plant material.
The dogs are in the "acorn" eating season right now. They will bite the "hat" off the acorn and eat the nut. I dont know how they have the appetite to eat anything else, they fill up on acorns all evening.
One of the cats has been hunting shrews and voles...leaves them in the back yard and the dogs roll in whats left :/ YUK!
I had to pull the cone flower that Maggie had been chewing because it had Aster Yellows...as do many other things in the yard.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9243866

I had a little beige female cat yeas ago ,that would eat hard bones.STEAK BONES ,CHICKEN LEG BONES, Small animal bones.Darndest thing I ever had seen,to watch her chew those bones to dust.
She was little and tiny and would bring me the occasional rat,opossum , whatever as an offering, icky!lol The sentiment was appreciated though.
ryguy319
Owosso, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9243933

Who knows what goes on in their minds they have their own personalities and likes and dislikes.
Last night I gave her a can of peas because our other dogs did like canned veggies she ate half and left the rest but wanted that cucumber.
They're complicated.
Jan

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9244200

Omnivorous herbivorous carnivores. ^_^ I know what goes through the cats' minds. Feed me, pet me, let me outside. Feed me. Feed me. Pet me, stop petting me. No! I'm not going in the crate! Feed me.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9244327

For Kwanjin and all cat lovers -

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9244350

I had a dog that ate violet leaves instead of grass. Turns out violet leaves are edible so that was fine.
I taught another dog to eat, share, the harvest of the small alpine strawberries. She would nibble them off the plant
but only if I pointed them out to her.
There are many poisonous plants in all our gardens so caution is wise.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 17, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9244410

My dogs generally stick to edging the grass (which is nice because it saves me after I mow the lawn, but they have been slacking being its acorn season). When they are feeling "entitled", they eat the ornamental grass..lol.
They lick the grease off the grill, sneak food off an unattended plate, they love corn and of course BBQ ribs, steak, hotdogs...whatever. Just dont give them grapes! (Grapes are toxic to dogs)

Aside from the grass and cone flower leaves (and acorns) I havent noticed or found any evidence of them eating anything else. They do dig in the gardens, but ONLY under my spirea...the "icky" pink ones that everyone has in their landscape here and the wedding bush...:( no mater what I do to deter it, they find a way. What is it about the spirea? Granted I dont like the pink ones and they will be coming out, but "get away from the wedding bush"!! :/
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9244494

Liquid Fence. There are different formulas. I've used the one for Deer & Bunnies (good for Squirrels, too) for years and because I use it on just about everything, I buy the concentrate. I believe there is a formula specifically for dogs & cats. If it's just a few plants a small spray bottle is probably all you need.

It's avalable at nurseries and the Liquid Fence website, but I find the prices much better at home improvement stores and stores like Meijers and Farm & Fleet (don't know if you have those last two in your area) and even Walmart might have it.

It's very safe for the animals (totally non-toxic). It's mainly rotten eggs, hot pepper, etc. Most animals won't even take a bite as they have a very strong sense of smell and avoid plants sprayed with it. Follow the instructions for number of times to spray (very easy) and after that spray periodically.

Good Luck! I love Coneflowers, too!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9244618

Thanks, Arlene! ROTFLOL
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 17, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9244722

The "MAN MALL"! (FF)
LOL...its 2 miles from work and another 2 miles from home.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9249432

We had a dog once that would pull an ear off the corn stalk and lay around and eat it. This was dry corn. He also liked watermelon. When we finished eating the watermelon and threw it away in the ditch he would go after it. We tried turning it upside eown but he still got it. Luciee {;^) Oh, yes, he also ate blueberries off the bush. L

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 6:27 PM
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9255574

I had a dog that drank strawberry daiquiris (if you put it where she could get it), overaged yellow cucumbers, and almost ripe Gala apples from tree. Could not believe it.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9255662

One of our cats drinks orange juice.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 27, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9256037

Lastnight I was making pickles, slicing cukes and I offered one to the chocolate lab. she refused it twice. I offered one to the black lab, he refused it. I offered it again to the choco and she chowed 4 slices. The black still refused. lol. it was funny to watch.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9256053

I use to feed my lab and a previous shepherd a piece of cheese every so often , still do when I babysit my sisters pets.
Kinda had to watch my hand doing that though.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 27, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9256107

I find mine are more gentle when I use a fork to feed them. Its so funny! They get "dainty"

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9256114

LOL! My DBs dog, Cracker, a 75lbs German Shepherd and Malemute cross, used to dfo that, too. He'd skin his lips back and take the treat ever...so...gently...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America