Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Pest control options that will NOT burn in the 100+ heat?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 3, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
s0lstice99
Lawrence, KS

July 8, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9197519

I had been controlling mites and some tiny little white speck of a critter on my tomato plants with neem oil/soap/water spray. We've had 100+ degree temps here (107 yesterday) for over 2 weeks now. The night temps have remained about 85, so not much relief at night either. I'm in Eastern Kansas, so we also have humidity issues, which I see several of you are saying the mites don't like...well, these must be Kansas mites :-) Please don't tell me to spray off the plants with water, due to the humidity I've also seen some bacterial or fungal stuff on the tomatoes, unless it's bug damage, but I am fighting PM on my zucchini and I don't want to make that worse with water on the plants. I did spray Actinovate on the tomatoes & squash to try to battle those issues in place of the neem... I've got some plant damage, and I've been afraid to use anything that will burn the leaves in order to control the bugs. I am organic and would like to stay that way if possible, I especially don't want to harm the bees since I need them for the squash, (I was careful with the neem to use it at night). Any suggestions for an organic, no leaf burn, pesticide for the tomatoes? Thanks! (I know, not asking much here!)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9197815

Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earthDiatomaceous earth I haven't had it burn anything ever...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9197991

This episode of Growing a Greener World is all about organic pest control...

http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/episode223/

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9198431

Neem is organic and works good on mites. But any insecticide organic or not is going to kill bees. Incecticides are not recommenced for mites anyway. If anything they will kill the bees but not the mites. You need something for mites. Those temps make gardening very difficult.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America