Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: Fried Astilbe...Ugh

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 7, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LesMc
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9197830

Two weeks of over 100 degrees have just fried my astilbe. They bloomed so pretty. I have always enjoyed their plumbs after bloom, but now they look terrible! Can you cut these back without harm to next year? I thank you for any answers to this question. Lesley
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9197881

Lesley, I've only grown astilibe one summer and don't know anything about them but I'd take a chance at cutting them back. What do you have to lose? Gardening is all about trial and error. I'm sure you'll get more responses from more experienced gardeners. Good Luck! Keep us informed how it turns out.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9197917

Lesley - I have many astilbe and extreme heat combined with lack of rain will cause their demise for this year. Cut them back, water them well (if possible) and any extra compost you can mulch them with would be most helpful to them.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9197977

Wow, Pirl, what a nice patch of astilbe.
And the lighting makes them look even more spectacular!
It's hard to believe my dried up clump could revive like that next year,
but I sure hope so!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9198052

It has happened often enough to various astilbe patches here. The first time I was sure they were gone forever but (happily) I was wrong. Dump on the cooled coffee grounds and chopped leaves and give it your leftover cooled coffee each day.

This patch seems to dry out fast even though it faces northeast and has the shade of the magnolia. I use the extra day old water from the birdbath on it to keep it happy.

Thanks, Scott. That photo was taken around 7:30 AM. At 4:30 in the afternoon it looks like the second photo posted here. It's in full hot sun all afternoon and doesn't miss a beat. (Lots of compost used at planting time).

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LesMc
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9198319

Thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate your prompt answers to my fried astilbes. I will cut them back, add some compost and add cool coffee! All of this , I can do...I sure hope we get a break in this heat. My astilbes are not the only fried plants in my garden! Happy Gardening to all. Lesley
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9198949

My Astilbes have been covered with coleus, I guess that will protect them. I have been watering every day, so I am hoping they will survive. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mhkilleen
Clementon, NJ

July 24, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9217352

water, food, water food, astilbes are heavy feeders

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America