Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vermicomposting: Any experience with worm towers?

Communities > Forums > Vermicomposting
bookmark
Forum: VermicompostingReplies: 3, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
artgirl
Phoenix, AZ

July 8, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9198142

I am curious whether anyone has had any success with the worm tower type systems with the stacking trays. Any feedback from people who are not in the business trying to sell them?
seran72
Bozeman, MT

July 24, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9217038

Hi. I don't have any experience with worm towers, but I noticed no one has responded to you. I've only ever used the cheapo plastic storage containers and I get the impression most of the people on this forum also make their own worm bins, rather than going the store-bought route.

I will say that I occassionally long for a tower system to see if it helped with harvesting (i.e., separating the worms from the vermicompost so it can be used without sacrificing the worms). In my admittedly limited experience, none of the various methods for harvesting seem to work very well.

So, some sort of tower system might help. But then again, the worms might just stay down there in the bottom level and never move up. I don't know.
vamarj
Luray, VA

September 16, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9276898

I bought a worm farm from the Worm Dr. and I like it. It started off slow because my worms spent the night in my mailbox and it killed half of them. Then I overfed it and it was too wet, etc. I've had it for almost two years now and it is working well, now. I keep it in my unheated cellar. The cellar space is kept from freezing because of the furnace, so it keeps the worms at the right temp. I wish I could keep it closer to the kitchen, but I only feed it once every two weeks or so. I haven't harvested alot of worm castings, as I've been too cheap to buy more worms, and my worms just weren't numerous enough to get the job done. Now I seem to have alot more worms, all ages, and things are picking up. I think my two biggest hurdles were not having enough worms, and not following the directions closely. I have alot of bugs in the bins so I am glad it's not in my house. I still struggle with it being too wet or dry, but the worms don't really seem to care what I do to them.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9278098

vamarj,
I don't believe you will ever need to buy more worms. When you get the feeding right and the temp is right, the worms will rapidly reproduce.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Vermicomposting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vermicomposting anyone? margaran 74 Jan 31, 2008 9:09 PM
vermicomposting margaran 214 May 2, 2008 1:26 PM
Vermicomposting-2 margaran 92 Feb 15, 2008 2:36 AM
Welcome to the new Vermicomposting forum! Terry 16 Jul 21, 2013 6:32 PM
wrigglers? kooger 19 Jul 16, 2008 2:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America