Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tomatoes: deer eating tomato plants

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 15, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9198422

Has anyone got a secret to keep the deer out of the tomatoes? I can't believe how much they have eaten. Please, any suggestions are appreciated.
Marie
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9198577

After finding several tomato plants with their tops lopped off a week ago, I investigated nearby and found a patch where some daffodils had been flattened as though a deer had been sleeping there. I put some stakes in the area to discourage this and haven't noticed any depredations since (knock on wood).

But I'm reminded of the joke where one gardener was telling another of the many things he had tried to get rid of deer. Hanging soap, hair balls, spray, lion urine, etc., to no avail. "But," he said, "I've finally found a sure-fire method. Come over for dinner and I'll tell you about it." "Sure," said his friend, "what are you serving?" "Venison."
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

July 9, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9198712

Most of the folks were I live have just given up on trying to keep the deer from eating their tomatoes and I live in a county in upstate NY that has perhaps the highest deer population in the state. It's dairy country and the deer have great feeding on all the corn that's grown for the local cows.

You can spend lots of money and surround your plants with electric fences that are high or do a double very high fence which the local orchardists do to try and protect them from eating apples, and on and on.

I have a herd of about 12 that hang out on my 30 acres and since I moved here they have NOT eaten any of my tomato plants. They will eat the roses and sometimes some daylilies, but that's about all. Less than a mile away, though, where I had another tomato patch they were terrible, so terrible that for several years I started posting online about this wonderful new variety that I had but couldn't get enough seeds to share.

One person called it Perry's Teasum b'c it was Chuck Perry who gave me the seeds. Then came the year I could share seeds and did a thread at GW where I described all the background I knew and asked folks to help name it with me. I'd named lots of unnamed varieties but wanted others to know what went into naming.

There were 22 folks who posted in that thread and it ended up being called Neves Azorean Red, which many folks know now and love, me too, and I sent thank you seeds to all of those 22 thread participants.

I grew up with a dad who shot anything that flew or had 4 feet and it wasn't uncommon to see 10-12 deer that his fellow gun club members had shot hanging from the rafters of the barn.

So I treasure watching the does bring down their fawns for me to see and love watching the fawns prance around and chase each other in the backyard, which I'm looking at as I sit here at the computer.

I decided there's a much larger world out there that's bigger and more important than any tomato plants here that are being eaten, and this year quite a few of them have been teeth pruned by my local woodchucks, groundhogs to some of you.

But goundhog doesn't fit when one remembers the ditty:

(How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood,
He'd chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could if a woodchuck could chuck wood)

... or something like that. LOL

Carolyn

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9198827

MyRee - A deer will not jump over something if it can't see where it's going to land. However, they will push their way through shrubbery.

I have read that a wire fence, with at least a shrubbery depth of four feet will discourage deer from jumping into your garden.

Deer regularly pass by on the other side of our fence. I don't know why they don't jump in and enjoy a free feast, but I can only assume they don't like the smell of the dogs.
WayneKY
Cadiz, KY

July 9, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9199118

A simple single strand electric fence (30 inches high) keeps deer out of my orchard. They don't like my tomatoes, I do sometimes see tracks in the garden where they pass through. My electric fence is solar powered and doesn't do any harm to the animals although my wife accidentally checked it out a couple of days ago and found it to be an quite effective!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9199135

I had never even heard of such a thing as deer eating tomato plants! Live and learn I guess.
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9199882

I too love to see the deer, but I love my tomato plants also. I am going to fence them in (the tomatoes that is).
Thanks, Marie.
Carolyn, I have seen many of your posts. I love my tomatoes, but, I can see that you are the expert. Do you still have seeds of the Neves Azorean Red tomato? I would love to try some next year.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9203790

I have never had a problem with the deer eating my tomatoes, but this year with the drought they have been regular visitors and eating on our plants and eating the green tomatoes once they get so big. I am ready to give up for this year...
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9204600

My sister said "I never thought I would hate deer!" She can't grow much because of the deer that frequent her yard daily. Sometimes just camp out there.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9210904

The restaurant is now closed. They stole about 8 green tomatoes. They took a ripe one and ate half and left the rest on the ground. I've covered the remaining tomatoes with bird netting, which is a big turnoff for them. The better our crop, the worse the attacks.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9211443

It would seem everybody is hungry! yep, critters to the table,SMORGASBORD!!!!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9211504

juhur7 wrote: I had never even heard of such a thing as deer eating tomato plants! Live and learn I guess.

They eat the tomatoes, not the plants. They know just where to go.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9211575

Gives a whole another meaning to the phrase "dumb animals" sounds like they are dumb enough to be as smart as anyone, and they are quick too!!!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9211762

They have eaten my plants AND the tomatoes!!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9212646

Ditto here...deer love to eat my tomato plants. They let the squirrels eat the tomatoes! :>)

I finally broke down last year and tried "Liquid Fence", a commercial anti-deer product. It works! I sprayed it once and it kept them away for five or six weeks, then sprayed again. I was impressed.

Myree, you may want to give it a try.

Shoe
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9213545

I tried the liquid fence on a ribbon. They haven't come into the garden since. I love the stuff. They did eat some of the plants though. I have picked a few. Oh, they are good.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America