Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Propagation: Rooting hydreanga?

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 8, Views: 245
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BudBowen
Oregon City, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9198463

My creeping hydreanga likes walking! Can I root the cuttings when I trim them to start new plants and when is the best time to do so?
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9214065

Not familiar with that variety of hydrangea but the general rule with shrubs is to transplant in the fall when it's cooler and wetter. When you say "walking" I assume you mean you have buried one of the lower branches in order to make it root? Or do you mean it is sending out runners? I am going to bury one of the lower branches of my limelight hydrangea to get it to produce a rooted " baby" but itl may take until spring too see results. Early in the spring I did this with a gardenia, weighted the branch eulogy a rock, it should be ready by late august. Good luck.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9229692

If you do your propagation this way, it is called layering. You will get the best results if you just slightly nick the part that will be underground so that it has a place to send out roots from. As long as your part you want to plant has a good root system and has some top growth, you can cut it from the mother plant and pot it up anytime. Be sure to keep it watered and put it in well drained soil. A nice dose of Osmocote won't hurt, too

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9279848

I have an Endless Summer Hydrangea which needs a haircut every fall--as it is in a too small area.
I just cut off all the tops of the sprawling branches, trim them to about 6", remove most of the big leaves
and cut back the top two (they are large also)--nick the lower stem in a coule of places, dip it in
some Rooting Hormone and stick it, deeply, into a 1qt. deep, 4" pot...like perennials are sold in.

They grow fresh leaves quite soon, even if they are not rooted yet. In a few weeks--they will pass the tug test
and root easily.
I leave them outside for the winter in a protected spot. Digging the pots into the bed helps too.
Nice starts to take to the next Plant Swap.

I understand that, on a Mophead Hydrangea, cutting branches back is not a good idea, as buds for the
following spring's blooms are already forming on the stems.
My neighbor has one of these, and she has done the soil layering many times.
It is a good way to start a new shrub.
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BudBowen
Oregon City, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9323039

Thank you so much. I will be testing several approaches to propagation and we will see next Spring. Appreciate your support. Bought several new hydrangeas called Wedding Gown. Small bush with great double white blooms.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9449322

I have a question...does hydrangea like their roots disturbed when they are transplanted, or are they fussy about it. Some plants like freeing their roots and some do not like to be touched.

The reason I am inquiring is that I am digging a new shady border. I have a couple of hydrangeas on the north side of my house, but they do not like the hot morning summer sun. (Nor do the brunneras, pulmonarias...etc.) It is just too much for them, and possibly the deer as well. I have a shady area in my fenced garden that will protect them from most of the harsh rays.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9449605

I'm curious myself. I rooted my QuickFire once by putting it in a wintersowing type container and then gave it away. But the mother plant was getting too big and not enough sun, so we moved it to the front yard. Then we rented the house to my daughter and moved half the US away! So I'm not sure how it did.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 18, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9489163

Evelyn, I have been moving hydrangeas here for about the past 3 weeks. they don't seem to mind the disturbance.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9490236

Thanks. I moved them, successfully. At least I think so. They look like they have not even been moved, no wilt or anything.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America