Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Need "beginner" veggie help!!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 117
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sillyputty317
North Zanesville, OH

July 8, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9198502

It's july 9 and I know it's really late to start...but what seeds can I plant now, and still see results? Due to budget constraints I have to use seeds, not nursery starts.

Can I plant spaghetti squash? Melons? Peppers?
Is it too early to plant "fall" crops like lettuce and cabbage?

My experiece with vegetable gardening is non-existent, so please, please spell out stuff as if you were talking to a child...Thanks in advance :)

Zone 6/Southern Ohio
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 9, 2012
2:47 AM

Post #9198551

Heat loving plants like beans. I rarely start from seeds myself sp someone will be more knowledgeable.

Belle
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9198590

Beans are good, and okra loves heat. Probably not time for winter squash, but summer might do just fine. Cucumbers are quick, maybe try some of them. I've had cherry tomatoes start to fruit quickly, and some of the "early" varieties might produce for you. In fact, it might be worth it to try things out just in case. Might be a longer summer than usual :). Even if you don't get vine ripe 'maters, they ripen pretty well if picked at "blush", and green tomatoes are awesome fried. I think it's too early for the cool weather crops.
Depending on your specific conditions, you might try shade cloth over the seedlings for part of the day, and be diligent at keeping them moist.
Good luck, hope you'll let us know how it goes :)
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9198626

Just sowed some bush and pole beans last week. Last years early July pole beans produced until mid-October.
You can still sow summer squash and cucumbers and have a good harvest.
You can start cabbage and kale in pots (you'll want to keep them out of high heat)and have a great fall crop.
I'd hold off on lettuce and spinach until at least mid-August for a cool season harvest.
This is a good time to sow beets, you'll just have to keep them evenly moist thru the hot dry summers of Ohio.
Some people sow turnips now, but I prefer to hold off till late August so I can get a freeze to sweeten the roots. Its also less of a chance of having bug damage on the greens.
Just keep everything well mulched as you head into the dry season and you'll be fine.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 7:14 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9198843

Great answers, guys!

Please consider this and invitation to join us on the "Starting Our 2012 Fall/Winter Veggie Gardens" thread, and sharing your planting schedules with us? A number of us from different gardening Zones are following each other's progress toward the Fall-Winter season, so we get a better handle on when to plant what, and ya'll sound very knowledgeable on this subject.

Here's the link to the thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263349/

Sillyputty317, there're a few gardeners from your Zone over on the thread, too. I believe they can help you also. Come see what we're talking about.

Thanks!

Linda
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9199395

Maybe some root veg like potatoes and carrots and onions. A light frost won't hurt them. A long summer could help, but even an early Winter would only mean an early harvest of slighty smaller vegetables.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 9, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9199634

Don't be fooled by the name "Winter Squash". All squash must have warm weather. Grow them exactly like summer squash. Only difference is that Winter Squash(Butternut, Spaghetti, Acorn, etc.) have thick rinds to last through winter after they were harvested in the fall(before frost). They do take longer to mature than most summer squash, so I'm not sure you have time to get them to ripen in your area. I'm thinking around110-120 DTM. So if you have 3-4 months of frost free weather left, go for it. Summer Squash, like Zukes will be ready in 50-70 days. Plenty of time for them.

Smaller Melons need at least 90-120 days to ripen. You might have a chance but you really should have started them in May.

Grow Bush beans. They'll be ready before it gets cold there. Cucumbers are fast too, so they are good to try.

Tomatoes, Peppers from seed will take too long. When do you get cold weather? Oct-Nov?

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9199844

Sillyputty ~ if you go to this link http://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/index.php?q=zanesville ohio and enter your zipcode, it will tell the first average frost date in your area.

All seed packets should have a DTM or 'days to maturity' on them. From that and the time you have till first average frost, you should be able to select what you have time left to plant. Good luck... Kristi
Frank65
Hallowell, ME

July 12, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9202728

You have enough time for bush beans, probably cukes and summer squashes. Might get some small carrots and you may even get some cherry tomatoes or you can try patio tomatoes in containers and take them in the house when the frost comes.
sillyputty317
North Zanesville, OH

July 21, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9213986

Thanks so much!! I've already gotten to work and will be planting even more over the next 2 weeks :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America