What is a Lily Tree?

Spring City, TN

I got an email from Brecks advertising them. Are they like Tiger lilies? 3-4' tall the first year up to 6' tall and don't need staking.... etc.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Just a silly advertizing ploy. They are selling a lily that has a tendency to have a thick and tall stem, not a tree at all. I stake almost none of the hundreds of Lilies that we grow as they don't need it. I would recommend that you try to order any bulbs from a more reliable and reputable dealer as Brecks doesn't cut the mustard in my book. Patti

Spring City, TN

Where do you get yours? Thanks.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I order from these dealers and as I am very fearful of the horrible lily beetle, I never buy anything except dormant bulbs. I prefer to plant lilies in the fall.

Touch of Nature (great Dutchman in Ga)http://www.touchofnature.com/ ( he often has coop prices for group buys which makes them very affordable - just email him, Bert or Bleek as he known on DG
Brent and Becky (tried and true independent bulb dealers) http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com!
Van Engelen or sister company, John Scheepers ( first for large orders and latter for smaller retail ones)http://www.vanengelen.com/ or http://www.johnscheepers.com/
Faraway Lilies in Ma http://www.farawayflowers.com/ check her out in the fall, her husband has medical issues now, but she may be shipping again in the fall or spring.
B and D Lilies and Snowcreek iris http://snowcreekdaylilies.com/ A wonderful dealer for lilies and iris.

Just avoid most of those companies that send out a huge glossy catalog as they generally sell lousy stuff having blown their wad on the cat and not on the goods. Patti

Solon, IA

Three cheers to Patti for telling it like it is! Gaudy catalogs, improbably descriptions, unreasonable claims, retouched photos, weird names = shop elsewhere.

The list of sellers is excellent as well. I would add one more, the Iowa Regional Lily Society, which costs only a few dollars for a yearly membership. They have incredible member only bulb sales both spring and fall, then sell any remaining bulbs to the public. Wanda Lunn, club secretary and lily grower extraordinaire, spends countless hours working with lily growers and hybridizers all over the country and always comes up with an amazing selection for each sale. Some of the varieties she finds are not available anywhere else, the prices are extremely reasonable (from $2.50 up to $6 for most, $10-12 for martagons), and the bulbs are always very nice in size and true to type. I'd been pining for Big Brother, which at $30-40, it was way beyond my price limit, but it was in the sale last fall for $6.00, and the bulbs were the size of apples. Wanda ships bulbs all over the country to members who don't live close enough to pick up their order.

As for Lily Trees, or Tree Lilies, as they are also called, Patti is right, this is simply a commercial name for the larger and taller of the Orienpet lilies. These will indeed grow to 6-8 feet tall, as I can attest from personal experience, they are very floriferous with lovely fragrance, and very easy to grow. Best of all for those of us who are mainly shade gardeners, they will grow and bloom very well in a lot of shade. They will NOT, as I have seen claimed in various catalogs and articles, grow 10-15 feet tall, have 3 inch wide stems, and hundreds of flowers per stem. These bulbs can be purchased from any of the sources listed above, generally being in the $3-$8 range per bulb, sometimes even less in quantity. The gaudy catalogs seem to charge anywhere from $9-30 per bulb.

My favorite of the Orienpets is Conca D'or. I'm rather new to lilies, but have had this one for 3 years. This year the plants were 7 1/2 feet tall, the largest had 22 flowers on the stem, and the flowers ran from 9-10 inches across. They are planted under an oak tree in the middle of a hosta bed and get no attention at all except watering if it's dry. The original 2 bulbs have now increased to 7 plants.

Spring City, TN

THANK YOU, both, for the wonderful links.

I've got the tried and true Tiger Lilies and love them. Hardy and determined and pretty when the daylilies are all done. And the birds have scattered seed around so I have them in several places

I have new links to explore!!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Bravo, Patti. You nailed it on every count!

Donna

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

dhaven, I adore the ones you do too, as Orienpet Conca D'or is a fav, but check out this one. It is at least 10 feet tall. I have to check to see which one it is. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

It is Lilium Div. 8 Other Hybrids 'Baruta' which I bought through one of the great old coops for 1.35 in 2009. Those were the days! Hate that the coops are no longer on DG, so I use other sites for them. Big loss as I know many people who have disappeared from here because the coops are history. Patti

Solon, IA

WOW! I'll have to keep an eye out for that one (or ask Wanda to find it for the IRL sales), it's spectacular. Love the rich, saturated coloring, too.

I bought from the Touch of Nature "Co-Op" last spring, which is really just a sale, not a co-op as nearly as I can tell. The bulbs were all very nice, some huge, and everything has now bloomed and is the correct variety, so I'll be ordering from them again next spring. The prices were very cheap, especially for such nice bulbs. Many were in the 3/$5 range.

Another source I use regularly but didnt mention in my earlier post is Hallson's, website perennialnursery.com. They specialize in hostas, but also have a rather extensive selection of lilies, available spring only. They test all their lilies for virus, and have field grown most of the varieties they offer. Prices are good, quality is always excellent, and they often include bonus bulbs. There is usually a very good sale towards the end of the season, up to 40% off. Also the most wonderful people to deal with, and their forums are a huge asset to the plant loving community.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

dhaven, agree that Touch of Nature or eflowergarden both owned by Bleek (Bert) is a great source always. He is a favorite of mine and a go to guy for spring bulbs and lilies as well as some summer annuals. I have ordered from Hallson's in the past and will look again as I do know they are very diligent, but somehow I have missed them recently. Thanks for the reminder. Today I am working on some fall bulb orders which is way late for me, but time just got away this summer. I will do some more at Thanksgiving when the big sales start. Never miss those.
Here is some shots I took on Thursday of some of the lilies in bloom. Patti https://picasaweb.google.com/pmc.ack/ALBUMOFLILIUM201207WK3?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNHkvJODn-_WtQE&feat=directlink

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank You, Patti, as this is what I have found out the hard way. Also,thanks for the links. I know this is repititous, but I felt compelled to reply also. Thanks, Luciee {;^)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Happy to add my favorite sources. Good growing all. Patti

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I have a lily in a large pot that I grew from seed. Purple outside and white inside. I am going to take it up and plant it in the semi-shade this winter. The fragrance is too strong to be by the front door. Luciee {;^)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images