Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: What's for dinner? (Part 34)

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 225, Views: 1,662
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9198717

Time for another thread! We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1264789/

For many of us, we're in the throes of summer and the typical heat that comes with it. But if we all followed the old adage, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" it would mean no dinner for our families. So what's cooking at your place these days?

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9198762

Thanks, Terry! And thanks, Celene. I saved it in my recipe app. That looks like the kind of thing I've been searching for, with more of a Bisquick-type crust to the cobbler! Some people seem to say that if you're using fresh peaches, less than 1/4 cup of sugar works better, so I'll try that. The last one I made was too sweet.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 9, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9198765

I made veggie soft tacos for dinner tonight, with some roasted corn pico de gallo and black beans.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 9, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9199034

Made reservations last night - LOL.

Will make bison tacos tonight.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9199081

We had something that resembled a not too fancy buffet. Leftover chimichanga, leftover chicken alfredo, leftover german potato salad, and stir fried leftover rice with fresh sugar snaps and green beans!!! Anybody who didn't like it was welcome to take over the kitchen!! The left over leftovers went into the garbage. Enough is enough.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9199089

My mother was fond of saying, "If you don't like what I fixed, eat what you brought."
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9199155

darius, my dad's saying was there's four hours difference in a bad and a good meal. If you are hungry enough, it will be good.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9199165

M5 - my chickens love left over left overs. Too back you aren't close enough to share.

I'm in CA again this week. So no home cooking for me. I'll have to cook vicariously through you folks. :-)

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9199176

Brenda, nice to see you stop by!! Your dad was like so many of my mother's generation... they remembered scarcity.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9199282

Tammy, my DH had to drag me away from Tractor Supply when they got their baby chicks in this spring. I would love to have just enough to supply eggs, but we have a winter problem. No way can put up even a chicken tractor on our property, and another outbuilding is against code. So somebody would have to take on the task of slaughtering, and by then I would have named them all, so it wouldn't be me. DH can't even dunk a live lobster, so it wouldn't be him ...and the D*** cats don't even do housework...

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9199298

I keep thinking I'd like chickens, but I have a chicken-loving dog and I can see me having fun trying to keep them separated. Maybe when the dog is dog-gone...

Tonight is a concoction called "Million Dollar Spaghetti" - which is just a glorified pasta bake. Salad (fresh tomatoes and lettuce from the garden) and garlic bread. And maybe something for dessert if I feel particularly baker-ish. Tomorrow night is pork chops (which means I need to get a loin thawed and sliced.)

Swimmer Girl is out for the week - she's hanging out in Mobile, AL doing inner-city mission work, so it's just me, Mr. Official and Middle Son, unless oldest son gets a hankering for home-cooking. I'm predicting leftover night at least one night this week. That's probably a more reliable forecast than our weather prognostications (although we did get a gentle, soaking rain last night.)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9199337

Well, you could clicker-train the dog and the chicks at the same time...

Clicker-Training a Chicken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LmM7gw5fY2k
Classes to teach them tricks (Roosters don't work well, too aggressive.)
http://www.oregonlive.com/pets/index.ssf/2012/03/chicken_clicker_classes_offer.html
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9199456

Creative mode is definitely reserved for upcoming events while we get by wading through freezers and the now productive garden. SO grilled ribeyes that I marinated. I made zucchini boats stuffed with onions, red peppers, mushrooms, grated cheddar, garden garlic and herbs and a stale pumpernickel bread dressing. The zucchini boats would have been enough. Half my ribeye went in the fridge.

Nutz, great to "see" you! Missed you at this year's RU. Your Dad's meal philosophy is interesting. Did he do a lot of cooking or was he supporting Mom?

Since we are sharing parental food commentary, my mom used to say, "If it's good enough for company...it's almost good enough for me". She was not being a food snob but rather holding herself to a standard when she was in the kitchen. For better or worse she passed that down to me.

We have had ducks and rabbits with our hunting dogs. They easily get used to fowl and a single dog will be okay with other game if the game is penned. There isn't a breed that I know of that hunts fowl. Retrievers only fetch. Possums and racoons can really do a number on fowl though. They are much mroe creative about getting at fowl than dogs. Our problem with keeping rabbits in a rural area was that neighboring loose dogs would pack and tear up our rabbit pens.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9199479

I forgot to say we are having previously roasted chicken and feta on a monster salad with pickled garden beans.

We had a new refrigerator delivered on Saturday. The old one was dying; the ice maker dead. Newer models don't fit spaces configured for twenty plus y.o. ones. It entailed "minor kitchen alteration". That's like "a little pregnant". This project was about as desirable as a heart attack right now. Kitchen cabinets and their contents are all over the living room. I've been painting beaded pine and staining trim to replace wall coverings where wallpaper no longer exists. We have to return to Atlanta tomorrow and then have three days back here next weekend before the kids arrive and the final countdown begins. I may night be able to fit food into this schedule.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9199490

Sounds like Murphy's Law is still at work... my sincere condolences!
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9199501

darius, I lurk here daily just haven't posted before today.

Laurel, my Dad was born in 1923 so he was a youth during the depression. They were small time farmers barely getting by. He had seven siblings and he had little patience for picky eaters. I was never a picky eater except when my Mom served salmon patties several days in a row. Not one of my favorites. Dad just felt you ate what was served if you liked it or not. If you were hungry enough, it would taste good. My Mom was an excellent country cook but she only knew fried or boiled. She made cornbread with lard and when Dad passed away at age 61, I told her I was not buying her any more lard. She never had a problem with cholesterol though and she died in 2010 at age 88.

I missed seeing you guys at the round up but I am glad I missed the video making!!

Glad your garden is doing well. We had one at my Mom's property but it practically burned up even with Kenny trying to keep it watered. Dad always had a garden but he always said watering just did not have the same affect as rain.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9199512

Plantnutz, the current thinking in some circles is that lard isn't really a bad idea after all. I know that duck and goose fat are supposed to be quite healthy for you.

We scored some organic pork and I tried cooking it tonight for the first time. I thawed two chops and broiled them, with only a sprinkling of garlic powder because I really wanted to check out the taste. It was excellent - juicy and flavorful. I had bought some pork from a friend who had gotten it from a farmer who raised his own old-style, but that was quite lean and lacked flavor. It was more like pork loin - even the butt. I imagine it's the breed. This pork was far superior. With the pork we had fresh corn on the cob, cantaloupe, and salad with our cucumbers and currant tomatoes. Plain but very good.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9199524

YUM, Leslie! (I 100% agree on the use of lard, plus fats like duck fat and goose fat, provided they are not CAFO products.)

The only free-range/organic pork farmer left around here doesn't have a very good reputation so I don't buy from him. The one I had "got religion" and quit raising pork.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 9, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9199547

Laurel , I wouldn't attempt to put my Westie with fowl. He even tries to get the hummingbirds . He knows better, just can't turn my head . He puts up with the cat , but, if he can get it to run , the chase is on .He tries to ignore Oofie's chicks , but Lord , I don't trust him .
I'm on a watermelon OR fresh peaches and ice cream kick. D H isn't into leftovers so am cooking small amounts .
Tonight it was steamed , fresh okra and onions with tomatoes, bell pepper , shrimp steamed on top and the whole mess over rice . Seasoning was a little of this , a shake of that and some sassafras to boot . D H loved it , UGH , watermelon was more refreshing .

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9199993

The farmer tells me that the pigs are a mixture of Landrace and Yorkshire. He wanted to try some Berkshire because that's supposed to have a great flavor, but he's having issues with his dad, with whom he's involved in this project, so these will be the last he raises for a while. Oh well. His meat is expensive - $6.50/lb - so I am buying a half pig with a friend and splitting it.

Why doesn't your farmer have a good reputation? Is there some suspicion that he doesn't use all organic feed?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9200001

What I heard had more to do with the taste, but that also could be influenced by the processing plant. Never thought to ask what kind of pigs he raises, because the guy I was buying from still had a supply.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9200040

The lean breeds don't give that juicy pork flavor that I like.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9200082

I'd love to try some Berkshire pork. There's a farm in Charlottesville that raises them, and I'm going up to that area this week. Unfortunately I have NO room in my freezers.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9200170

You can at least reconnoiter; they may not have any to sell right now anyway.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9200256

Berkshire is incredible.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9200441

g_g, funny how things change; butter was bad, butter is good; coffee was bad, coffee is good; fats are bad, fat is good.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9200592

I don't generally react to all the bad health news that comes to us. I still use real butter, and lard for pastry, but I did give up caffiene, but not for health reasons. It keeps me awake even if I only drink it early in the morning.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9200690

Probably bottom line is that anything's okay in moderation, although I can understand staying clear of caffeine if it bothers you that much. I even drink decaf tea because otherwise I can definitely feel its effect on me!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9200723

Omce you go caffeine free, it's remarkable how sensitive you become to even small amounts. I have to be careful of carbonated beverages too, everything isn't labeled. I got a fruit smoothie from McD's and was awake until 3 a.m. In a fruit drink!!!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9200814

Wow, that's amazing! Why would you add caffeine to a fruit drink?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 10, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9200815

Meezers , if it was a pineapple/mango , you had the best one I ever tasted . I'm glad I don't have any food issues . I'm like Mikey , I can eat anything .

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 7:27 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9200868

I made a casserole of something or other four days ago and left it in the fridge for our return to Atlanta. For the life of me I can't recall what's in it. There are layers of corn tortillas and a filling. It's a reflection of what's going on. I received word from a friend who needs hospice care for his SO and will be working part time the next few days. I need the hours to keep my R.N. license current. Hopefully I can find time to shop a little for something to wear.

The smoothies available in FF joints do not contain caffeine but rather have lots of added sugar. They are not healthy alternatives to soda at all. The ingredients in these drinks are available on line. What is called "sugar rush" or "sugar high" will keep you awake for hours and then the downturn "crash" will also keep you from sleeping.

I can't agree everything is okay in moderation. Some things are just plain poison. Maybe it's best left as pick your poison. Most of us have one or more poisons in our lives.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9200960

In any case, it was free with a coupon, so at least I didn't have to pay for my misery!! I don't usually like overly sweet drinks so it didn't inspire me to try it again. The sugar rush explanation fits to a tee .. I felt like a wet rag the next morning.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9201268

Laurel, of course everything isn't okay in moderation - cyanide, for instance! I was talking about things like butter and lard and duck fat, and even sugar if you can tolerate it. I don't think high fructose corn syrup or MSG is okay in any amounts. They are much better avoided.

We had leftover tortellini salad for dinner; of course it was even better the second time around. Cantaloupe for first. Then we went out to the custard stand for ice cream, and our dog had a tiny portion of vanilla with a dog biscuit on top. The weather has been much more tolerable, with temps in the low 80's so we don't need the a/c. After five days with no power it's nice to be comfortable again.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9201977

We are having a gumbo-like stew with okra, tomatoes, green beans, onions and peppers. Need to use leftover chicken breast. The flavor twist will be the addition of scraps of smoked brisket from last week's slicing. The mix is simmering in a pint of home canned tomatoes from last season and a bit of the rich, smokey brisket juice.

Leslie, what I meant was considering stats for diabetes, obesity and coronary artery disease in this country the foods you mention are unwarranted for the average person even "in moderation". More like in limitation. Moderate choices expand for the healthy, ideal weight individual. Unfortunately the average American diet excludes moderation. Most of us struggle with eating what we have been brought up to know and love as familiar vs. what is healthy both in quality and quantity. All the more reason the "What's For Dinner" thread is fun and valuable. People here, as mentioned in the past, work towards healthful expression in the meals they make.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 8:05 PM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 11, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9202068

Except me ,who could live on sweets . Everyone just puts up with me 'cus I'm so loveable . LOL
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9202083

That you are, Sally.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9203130

What ho, we had lobster tonight. We went down to the beach for a couple of hours, DH took a walk while I read, and then we went over to our favorite dockside restaurant there for some lobster. And they were having a special - a 1 to 1 1/4 lb. lobster with salad and two side dishes for $14.95! We were going to get it at their usual price of $21.95, so this was a nice surprise. Yum!
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9203265

Tonight was "Keta" Yukon Salmon (limited fresh salmon supply via local market). new potatoes/w/herbs, tomato/basil, cucumber and feta salad, simple summer pleasures. Best time of the year. (Wish we were near the lobster source, but midwest Kansas doesn't have quite all the advantages!) Still a good time to enjoy the garden produce.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 12, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9203376

Yes, and all that fiber is Good for you.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9203390

I'm going home tomorrow after another week in CA. Had Thai on Mon & Indian yesterday but otherwise, frozen dinners and salads. I need to whip up a quick lunch for some visitors Sat. I guess I'll stop at a grocery store on the way home from the airport Fri night and get things prepped before I go to bed. Two are vegetarian so I'm thinking of a black bean & corn salad w/quinoa and some grilled veggies. Maybe some fresh melon for dessert. Any ideas of fast & easy vegetarian dishes?

Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9203549

Tam, how 'bout gazpacho with basil, grilled or roasted veggie & hummus hoagies with baguettes or ciabatta, sorbet over fresh melon for dessert. Maybe top sorbet with a drizzle of creme de menth or berries.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9204143

We are hopefully having grilled sliders and salad for dinner. That's if we can work around the unpredictable afternoon t-storms of late. I'm going to steam mixed squashes and beans from the garden. We've had almost daily power outages at dinner time with the crazy weather.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9205122

Laurel - thanks for the suggestions! I have not made gazpacho but will have to give it a try to add to my repertoire.

I got home at 10pm last night and my guests arrived at 10:30am this morning. I did the black bean/quinoa salad, a green bean & cherry tomato salad and fresh cantaloupe. I managed to get things prepped last night and pulled it together & got the deck table & chairs cleaned up & a few weeds pulled before they came.

We've got various leftovers for dinner and will have fresh garden tomato, mozzarella & basil with balsamic vinegar & olive oil for dinner w/some crusty bread as the high point. And a glass of wine.

Now I'm off to pull more weeds, pick more beans and prune up a bush that's gotten ahead of me. Dinner will taste & feel wonderful after a productive & sociable day. :-)

Tam

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9205255

@Laurel - the storms ARE crazy. I've got a red (well, actually orange) velvet sheet cake in the oven at the moment and I'm hoping the power stays on until it's done (just a few more minutes, if you please, O weather gods!!!) The cake is for tomorrow - we're planning to celebrate three birthdays: Middle Son's was yesterday, Oldest Son's is Tuesday and "Memaw Katie" celebrates hers on the 16th. Swimmer Girl gets back from her trip late tonight, so hopefully the timing will work out and if it doesn't rain again (not that I am complaining), we might even get in an afternoon swim.

Today the vacuum and I screamed through the downstairs at breakneck speeds, I stripped and remade the bed, did two loads of clothes, cleaned the kitchen and was out the door by 11:30 to meet some girlfriends for a painting party at 1; drove there in the rain, back in the rain and we're now getting downpour #3 for the day.

As soon as we get a break in the weather, I'm plucking plants from the old place and hoping I can find a place to put them that isn't waterlogged. I've got to get them moved ASAP - we put a sign in the yard and I've fielded I-don't-know-how-many calls so far today and we've showed it twice to prospective tenants. (It's a great problem to have, I know...)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012

Post #9205348

Terry, what a mess! We had awful storms last week, but at this point we could use some rain - but just a little, if you please...

We were going to have smoked turkey breast tonight, but DH didn't get the Big Green Egg started early enough and didn't put the meat on the grill until after 6. So I whipped up some linguine with white clam sauce; we'll have the turkey tomorrow night. It seemed to take about two hours for the internal temperature to reach 165°, which is about the length of time I had expected.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9205490

After the drought we experienced 5 years ago, or so, I promised myself I would never again question the manner in which precipitation came to us. Some days a little less would be nice, but I'll always take what we get and be happy for it.

The cake made it through just fine - the power stayed on without a hitch. Middle Son and I picked up Swimmer Girl when she got back and Mr. Official collected a security and pet deposit from the (probably) new renters, who want to move in ASAP. Guess I'm gonna have to double-time it to get the plants - but I will. I left them once; not again :-)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9205603

Don't you still have the right to take them even if the renters have possession of the house?

Glad your power stayed on!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9205701

Terry - glad you got the place rented so easily! I'm with you on the rain...almost. After our mud slide last month, I'd REALLY prefer slow & steady. We could use some of that here - everything is crunchy.

We had leftovers last night - I forgot I had a salad I'd brought for the flight. I have been travelling so much I'm now entitled to get bumped to first class. And scored both legs of my trip last week. That means free (and kinda sort real) food. So last night was a green salad w/ walnuts & blue cheese and cantaulope for dessert.

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9205850

Tam, I haven't had a good cantaloupe in 15+ years. They all seem to taste like wet nothings anymore.

I got a few peaches at an orchard on the way home from Charlottesville and might have enough for a pie or cobbler later today. I took a few lemon squash to the DG fellow where I left my truck for the trip with Susan. His wife fried them and both said they were very tasty. I picked another gallon of blackberries yesterday but really need to get up the hill for some wild blackberries for my savory. Yesterday's blackberries may become blackberry syrup, or maybe blackberry vinegar or blackberry wine.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9205863

We've been getting excellent cantaloupe recently - one from the supermarket and one from an Italian grocery store in a nearby town. I don't know where the melons came from, but they've been large and very sweet and flavorful. One of them lasts us for four meals, they're so big.

I also have some planted in my garden, but I'm not sure how they'll do. Last year they were tasteless regardless of variety.

Our blackberries are ripening, too. I froze a quart the day before, and it looks like it's time to pick again, but it's very hot and humid out there so I may wait until tomorrow morning.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9205903

I think the key to a flavorful cantaulope is the watering. If its too wet when they are ripening they tend to be watery. If they get good moisture as they are grown and it gets dry as they ripen, the flavor is stronger & better. Last year I had some before & more after the late season rains and it made a huge difference.

The one I bought from the farmers' store down the road was excellent. (A couple ran a roadside produce stand for years and finally built a gorgeous timber frame building w/greenhouse a couple years ago. I call it the farmers' store. They buy some produce and sell their own as well. Its always really good!)

Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9206143

I thought that water had a lot to do with it, but even with a dry summer none of mine had much flavor the last time I had a successful crop. I know that that has a big impact on strawberries, too.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9206159

Here we go again with another crazy storm. I was planting a flat of Isotoma http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1892/ gifted at the RU between stepping stones to the house when the smell of rain became unmistakable. You can readily sense it in these mountain woods. I stopped a few plugs short of finishing to get the laundry down and not a minute later it let loose. We are high enough up to be in the clouds. It's an ethereal view out there right now.

Poor melon flavor can be caused by poor soil fertility, too early harvesting and weather that is too cool for this fruit as well as other reasons (like poor pollination). If you can't smell that melon smell from the outside it most likely won't be sweet.

We had an unusual dinner last night, even for us,...chicken necks and offal tossed in garlic, herbs and oil. Honest. A while back I froze the innards packets from ten chickens roasted for the wedding weekend; a bonanza of parts. Being short of freezer space these days, stock and pate were not options and the parts had to go. Figuring we were ODing on fat (necks) and cholesterol (livers), I ate only a few of each and ate a salad to counter the badness. SO wiped out the rest. You'd never know his roots are in Boston from the way he put down that back woods meal.

We are having leftover baked sausage and penne topped with Italian beef stew and fontina cheese, then re-baked. We picked okra and zucchini last evening but I'd like to get out and pick beans to go with this dinner.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 15, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9206325

Wish I could find chicken necks , skin on . They make the best crab bait when you're hand fishing from a dock
I've been so good , I baked pecan brownies and will make me a brownie sundae for a reward tonight, mexican carmel topping . Haven't had anything sweet for two , yes , I said two, weeks .
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9206349

GG – I like crisps better than cobblers so no help with that issue. There are a number of cobblers on the King Author Flour site. I’ve never had a bad recipe from them yet. http://search.kingarthurflour.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=cobblers&pw=coblers&rt=spelling&isort=score&view=grid&af=type%3arecipes

M5 – Same issue here on naming them.

Laurel – Yum on the “'bout gazpacho with basil, grilled or roasted veggie & hummus hoagies with baguettes or ciabatta, sorbet over fresh melon for dessert. Maybe top sorbet with a drizzle of crème de menthe or berries.” Do you have a gazpacho recipe that you like? What does adding bread to the recipe do to it?

We had sad news whe we got home today. A contra dance freind of ours was killed in Tulsa yesterday. He was at Best Buy with his 11 year old daughter when a gun man opened fire at someone else. He was killed by a stray bullet. We are worried about how the daughter and family are doing. So please think about adding them to your prayers.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9206351

We just got back from dinner at a friends house. She made chicken pot pie & I brought the caprese salad. Was good.

Tam

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9206354

Oh Susan - that's awful! So sorry for your dance-friend & his family. Poor kid, having to be there too!

Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9206484

How terrible, Susan! What a tragedy for that family!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 15, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9206559

That child shouldn't have had to witness that . Poor baby , my dad was my whole world at that age .
Prayers for the family .

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9206568

Susan, that is awful - I'm so sorry for everyone injured in the shooting - what a terrible thing to experience.

I do technically have the "right" to take the place even when it's rented - I'd just rather get them out before they move in. Putting myself in their shoes, I'd rather not look out my window and see my landlord/lady digging up the landscape :-)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9206743

During the period when we were renters, we never assumed that we had much right to the outside of the house in terms of plants that were there when we moved in, but that was a long time ago and attitudes may have changed. At least that would take some of the pressure off you, though, to know that that was an option!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9206746

That is such a tragedy, Susan. My condolences to you on the loss of your friend.

We are on our way back to Atlanta today. The next trip to Maypop will be to meet the future bride and groom for last minute house and garden spiffying. The maypops will be in bloom.

I left freshly cooked red beans in Atlanta and will use leftover sliders to make a quick burrito filling tonight.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9206748

We also have a rental home. The law here is that though we ultimately own and are responsible for the property, the renter has possession of the house and everything on it for the duration of the lease unless otherwise stated or agreed.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9206829

It is a tragedy for his family and freinds. The newspapers are saying that the other person killed in the shooting had Crips gang markings. Our friend was out shopping for a birthday present for his wife and was holding his child's hand at the time.

Yes. That is also been the law in most states that I've lived. Usually the renter is also responsible for yard up keep. So best to get the plants out between renters and avoid any hassles/misunderstandings.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 16, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9207076

The most my renter is allowed to do outside is water , mow . The plants are not to be moved or damaged , or dug in any way without permission .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9207569

I've heard that one cannot grow finnochio (fennel) in the heat, but I have a few about ready to harvest. My first time growing them. I lost a goodly portion of the seedlings when they were small because of heat and not watering them twice daily, but a few survived and are doing fine.

Thumbnail by darius

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9207579

I'm very interested to hear how you prepare/cook them Darius! I grew a few last year but didn't use them.
Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9207593

Tam, Laurel is the one to ask, not me! I'm a newbie with them.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9207606

I've got a nice crop of them too, although I had to pick off the caterpillars to ensure their survival. I planted them in a row and many were eaten by whatever is also getting my chard, but then found that I had lots of tiny volunteers sprouting up all over the garden from previous years, so I transplanted them into the established rows and I have some ready for harvesting and others that will be good later on in the season. I have a couple of recipes that call for them, but you can also just braise them and serve them as a side dish.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9207662

We have a couple of recipes we use for fennel. We chop a few greens and slice the bulb thinly (across bulb) with a mandolin. Then mix both in with salad greens. Sauted with onions is another simple dish. I have to go look for any other recipes we used.

I think I'll talk DH into dinner out tonight. I'm very tired today. I've been out picking eggplants, peppers, and leaks. They have been busy producing while we were gone.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9207684

I had a big green salad w/sun gold cherry tomatoes from the garden and finished up the left over black bean w/quinoa salad for dinner.

Tam

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9207704

It appears that the beets I bought at the garden center are not beets at all. They look like Kohlrabi. This will be interesting...

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9207723

:-) Well... I'm enjoying my kohlrabi. Used the greens in a veggie pasta dish and the raw "stem" in a salad.

Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9207725

We are back in Atlanta. I have to say Susan's original post has been on my mind all day. I looked up the story in the wee hours, before Susan explained, and was so saddened. With our only daughter's wedding right around the corner I keep thinking about this child who will not have her dad. My SO is getting cortisone injections in his hip so that he might dance during DD's wedding weekend, and stave off inevitable surgery, while a dad that loved to dance is gone.

We grow fennel. We use the seeds, bulbs and fronds. I'm getting pressed on time and cooking advice but if you ask me after the wedding I'll be sure to answer. I know I was asked about gazpacho. Bread is used to homogenize the mixture because cucumbers and tomatoes will keep weeping and otherwise make the mixture watery. If you make the gazpacho and serve fairly promptly you don't need the bread. It's like salsa fresca...know how it gets watery if you make it in advance?

Sally, maybe I wasn't clear. It's not about what the renter is allowed to do, it's about what the owner is allowed to do. Yes, the renter can't remove anything from the property but neither can you, without a previous agreement, unless it involves property maintenance.

My chilli is brewing. We had such a bonanza of tomatoes last year I was canning for months. After cases and cases of quarts (think sauce) it seemed logical that pints might be useful for quick dinner additions. They have proven most useful.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9207735

I did the same thing last year - but with frozen sauce. A goodly mix of pint & quarts worked out wonderfully.

Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9207773

I have two refrigerators and freezers in use in Atlanta and one new one, now bigger French door fridge, at Maypop. The use of the freezer at Maypop, that held garden produce for just two seasons, was discontinued years ago. IMO it was energy wasteful and unwarranted. We really prefer mostly fresh, uncooked foods. I know there is a raw foods trend, but that's not how I'd define our diet. We eat plenty of (home) canned products.The freezer was resurrected last month to accommodate wedding fodder. I used to love to eat out. Not so much these days. It's not a matter of economy. We sit at the table analyzing the ingredients and wondering why we are there. Atlanta has fabulous restaurants, no mistake, I save myself for the experience.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9207853

Yup. Exactly what it is. Looking good too.

Thumbnail by meezersfive

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9207916

I understand your perspective Laurel. I use the freezer to keep produce, prepared meals and meats. I buy large amounts of beef (shared side w/friends) and salmon (from a local couple that fishes annual in Alaska). I also freeze meals for my father - typically 3mo worth as well as for us to use when things get busy. So in all, I feel comfortable with the use of the freezer. We all have to make decisions on how we spend our time & how we work to live efficiently on this planet.

Tam
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9207927

Kohlarabi in the old country is used to make some nice vegt. soup. cut it up small pieces, after you peeld it, also some potatoes onions. Sautee until it is soft, pour some water and finish cooking. The potato will thicken it, at serving we used some soure cream. I don't buy them here because of high price, same is with apricots, $3.50 lb in Walmart, I only bought 6, so I won't forget how it tastes. My sister swears by mixing shreded fresh beets, cabbage and aples, make salad for loosing weight. Beets sopose to clens your liver and cholesterole. it is possible. Etelka
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 16, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9208030

Hi , Laurel , yes that was what I was trying to convey . I made the rules and contract . they signed and agreed or I didn't rent to them . That's my old place , just down the hill with a lot, of rock work that I did myself and many native azaleas that I dug and transplanted , along with some prize Jap maples . Also trees that I brought back from Oregon in a suitcase on the plane . Other than that , even tho I spent a summer texturing the walls and painting everything top to bottom, handmade wallpaper (by me ) above and cedar shingles below in completely remodeled bath with walk in corner shower and $48 a yard carpet that I installed in two rooms myself , New fridge and stove , they can keep their 175 lb mastiff in the house , and do , for all I care . LOL. Just don't mess with my plants . They don't have to mow either. Just had a new metal roof put on . I didn't do that , paid a contractor .
The place is on the edge of the woods and don't keep the yard trimmed , Letting it go back more native so many of the plants are hidden from all except me who knows where they are.
I made chicken fried pork chops topped with salsa made with fresh ginger , tomatoes and pineapple , water gravy over rice, and fresh corn on cob ,salad with dates and pecans , garden veggies to dip in fruit processed with cream cheese and a bit of yogurt

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9208189

Well, the inside of the house was a little more "worse for wear" than I saw at first blush. Scratching my head...we lived there almost 10 years and our doorways and hallways weren't fingerprinted and scuffed up - they were there 7 months and I had touch-ups in every room. Sigh.

Ah well..different perspectives (renter versus owner) I suppose. Anyway, the painting is finished (I hope - I'll know tomorrow afternoon when I can see it in daylight; if it's too noticeable, I'll accept the inevitable and paint a couple walls with a quick one-coat.) The master shower was bleached and is now drying; I'll seal the slate floor in it tomorrow; vacuum and tidy up a few final things, and let them start moving in, with the understanding that I will be moving plants out while they move in, and have it mulched as soon as I'm done. This week o' rain has been a blessing and a curse. I'll take all we have gotten and might get, but the ground is pretty waterlogged, so I'm not sure how much permanent planting I can do for a few more days. (As I write, it's thundering and lightning again.)

Yes, our laws (and our contract) is much the same philosophy - once they move in, they are to enjoy the property without us hovering or showing up unannounced. I always contact the renters in advance before the quarterly bug spraying, HVAC maintenance, etc and arrange a convenient time for me to enter the property if they can't be there them in . Beyond that, we leave them be once they're moved in.

Laurel, fingers and toes are crossed for a smooth and fun (!!!) wedding weekend for you and that beautiful bride-to-be.

Cooking will resume soon, I hope. Tonight we noshed on Chick-Fil-A to help a college group raise money for a mission trip. Decent sandwich for a noble cause. Not really dinner though.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 17, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9208387

I'm also very lucky that I was friends with renters before they moved in . Actually , when the other landlord went three years without connecting the water back up outside and she had to carry water in a bucket to try to keep her plants alive that she planted , went without air conditioning the first summer and only stayed there because he let her keep her English Mastiff . Never made any repairs , and informed her he was going up 50.00 a month , did I say come look at my place . Came down by half on the rent and place was a doll house , she said YES before she even knew how much the rent would be .My trailer had been setting 10 years because I didn't want anyone that close that I didn't know. I had periodically spent time completely remodeling the inside and it was much nicer than when I lived in it . She now has a 10x20 deck on the backside that overlooks the woods ,very private ,and a covered walkway off an 8x12 wash and utility room .I knew she was good rent and pretty neat, from being in her house before . I can go to Texas for six months now and have confidence that my whole place is secure . Lucky ? You bet I am , and grateful . If the carpet needs to be replaced in a coupla years , it will be with wood flooring .
I have no idea what I'll have for dinner . The place D H worked in the summer called and wanted to know if he'd come back for the rest of summer because business had picked up and they didn't want to hire , train someone and have to carry them over for the winter . Of course it was yes and I'll be cooking more with him working .He's a light eater anyway so shouldn't be too much different . Soup and salad ? Sounds good to me .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9208393

Sally, what a deal! (Renter, not DH's "job" LOL.)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 17, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9208425

Yeah , Darius , the job means I have all the work around here by myself . Oh well , I thought I had him completely retired to help me . That's a laugh !
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9208878

We have a freezer but I don't use it to the extent that some of you do. No canning here at all. Has to do with the frementation process that can happen with some foods. Also the amount of salt and time some of it takes to can.

Dinner last night was from Panera. I'm not sure what we will be having tonight but I'm not feeling so sick and tired today. I think it was a combination of sick cat keeping me up all night and the temperature change between here and the west coast.

BTW - It's suppose to get to 113 here sometime sometime soon.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9209234

ACK! 113??? That's ridiculous!!!!

We're having omelets. I picked some kale & swiss chard, have onions & shallots from garden & mushrooms from the store. We have soooo many eggs I gave a dozen to the plumber (who stopped over this morning to follow up on a few problems we're having since we installed a new de-acidifier).

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9209769

Yes. I think that is suppose to be more Arizona weather then here.

Dinner last night was sandwiches: ham, tomato, and greens on a french baguette with store bought gazbache, watermelon, and strawberries. Something that involves no cooking on a stove.

Dinner tonight will be another variation of no cooking dinner.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9209820

And we are going out for dinner tonight. An old colleague & friend is retiring from my old company. My DH worked in his department for years too. Should be really nice to see all my old colleagues - many I haven't seen since I left in 2009.

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9210005

Happy Birthday, Bubba!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9210452

Supper will include cantaloupe, as mine needs to be cut NOW. I picked up a small piece of wild sockeye at EarthFare, but that might be fore another day since the whole afternoon has been a fruit fest.

I've got a 'mess' of lemon squash to slice for the dehydrator. The yellow summer squash should be finished in about another week when the squash borers will finally get to them (if not before), and the zukes are almost history. I only got 1 today, off of 3 plants. I let 2 zukes grow huge, since they are OP and I want to try and save seeds, not that I have a clue how to do it. I'm seeing a few flowers on my 2 varieties of bean plants, and the Red Kuri (winter squash) has a few babies starting along the vines. Any produce from my garden is rather remarkable, considering the weather this summer.

I picked up some oyster mushrooms this afternoon and need to clean them and get them in the dehydrator today, too. I dried some okra slices yesterday, said to be a good snack. These were just salted, but I think I'll do another batch with Emeril's Essence if I can find where I copied the recipe.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9210489

Happy Birthday, Bubba! Wadja eat?

We'll take-in after two straight days of wedding shopping. I defrosted rack of lamb for dinner but got home too late (and not in the mood) to create a deserving dinner around such premium victuals. Tomorrow is another day. And, BTW, about wedding planning...the devil and the dollars are in the details.

Darius, you know your pepos will cross what with all those varieties you are growing? That means the lemon squash will cross with the zukes or any other yellow squash. Saving squash and melon seed is easy. No need to ferment like tomatoes but let the fruits age and soften before scooping and rinsing the seeds, then dry for several weeks or more before storing. I take cuke seed, from very yellow cukes, and pack them in plastic containers until the flesh softens, then rinse the seeds and dry.

Our temperatures might be more like Susan's if it wasn't for the daily deluge. The temperature went from ninety five to eighty three minutes while I drove home through the storm.

Tam, how was your dinner?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9210517

I knew that c. pepo's would cross with each other, but the 2 zukes I saved had fruited long before the lemon squash even flowered so I may be okay... OR have a great new squash! The c. maxima's won't cross with them from what I understand, and they are on opposite ends of the house anyway.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9210555

C. maxima crossings are not impossible but unlikely. As for distance, anything pollinated by bees is a crap shoot. I'd hazard the zigs and zags are more important than actual distance (like is there a house or barn in the way?).

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9210562

Yup, the house is in between them...

"Species joined by a solid line do not cross, but crossing may occur between species connected by a broken line."

Thumbnail by darius

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9210575

You are sooo on it, Darius!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9210590

I'm impressed, Darius!

For dinner we had cantaloupe, a couscous salad with shrimp, diced zucchini, cherry tomatoes, basil and feta cheese in a lemon/EVOO dressing, and peach cobbler for dessert. It was all pretty good. The salad was a little hard to eat because the couscous kept crumbling off the fork and the ingredients didn't hold together - maybe I needed to add more water when I cooked the couscous.

I have a ton of cucumbers; I brought some to the weekly artists' breakfast with me and gave them to my friends, along with the hot peppers which were supposed to be Cubanelles, which I gave to one of the artists who makes pickled hot peppers and always needs the raw material. Trying to figure out what to do with the rest, since I can never get pickles to work. I found an interesting recipe for cucumber stuffed with tuna and rice and mushrooms on a French cooking site; I'll have to try that. And I'll freeze some. But then what? The woman I gave the peppers to said you can cook cucumbers like zucchini, but I wonder...

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9210624

I had a fabulous time at the retirement party. Really great turn out and I got to see a lot of old friends. I had more wine than food so had a couple eggs for dinner when I got home. :-)

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9210664

GG - I had cold water with lemons and cucumber slices in it recently. It was very nice and refreshing. Also might think about a cucumber soup of some kind. We also like tabouli with a lot of cucumber.

Dinner was sandwiches again. 107 degF here today. So nice to not cook. GG reminded me about couscous so may make that or tabouli tomorrow.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9210666

Tam, sounds like you had a balanced meal. :>) We ate Popeyes and now I'm going to pay.

Leslie, do you make rellanos? I grow Cubanelles just because they are so perfect for rellanos.

We have a hot date for a Netxlix night tonight. I'm ready to be horizontal and promised myself to sleep in (past 5 a.m.) tomorrow.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9210676

BTW - I have used cucumbers in stirfries. I prep them like I would zuchinni.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9210990

I don't make rellenos, but I don't have Cubanelles anyway. I do have Marconi Reds and hopefully some Long Red Hungarians, which are my favorites; those are both long sweet peppers.

I put cucumbers in tabouli too, but if you saw how many cucumbers I have you'd know why I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed! I see that Julia Child has a braised or baked cucumber recipe that I'll try.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9211055

Martha has a bunch of recipes also. http://www.marthastewart.com/274508/cucumber-recipes/@center/276955/seasonal-produce-recipe-guide

My mother used to make freezer slaw. I don't know how that would work with cucumbers.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9211097

I have a goodly crop of Marconi Reds coming along. Mine should be ready in a week or two. Can't wait!

I think we'll have salmon for dinner with a veggie mix from the garden.
Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9211155

Leslie, you can dry cukes...

"Cucumber is technically a fruit like tomatoes, but since most people think of it as a vegetable, I’ll include it here on the dehydrating vegetables page. Dried cucumbers are fair for snacking on like a chip or they can be chopped or powdered to use as a seasoning in dips and soups. Because of the thick waxy coating, I peel cucumbers first and then cut into 1/8 inch slices. Arrange in a single layer and sprinkle with a little salt if desired. Dehydrate at 125° for six to eight hours until leathery. Increase temperature to 135° and dry cucumbers for a few more hours if you plan to powder them."
http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-vegetables.html

The photo/recipe below came from here:
http://www.slideshare.net/tammyhulse/food-preservation-cucumbers

Thumbnail by darius

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9211225

I can freeze the cukes, too. The quote you give doesn't make it sound as though drying them results in a particularly good product. My cucumbers are the Middle Eastern type, mostly, and don't have a thick waxy coating. I found a recipe for cucumbers stuffed with tuna and rice and mushrooms on a French cooking site; I may try that. They're uncooked for that dish.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9211330

Tuna sounds like it will be good. Martha had "sandwich" recipe with cucumber slices as the "bread". It looked good.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9211436

It's worth a try. I just sliced several of the largest cucumbers with my mandoline, and I have them in the downstairs refrigerator, salted, until tomorrow, when I will rinse them, dry them off, and add a 50/50 sugar/vinegar solution. They sit in that for another day and then I put them in pint bags and freeze them. This year I made the slices a little thicker than last time.

We're going out to dinner tonight with two other couples.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 19, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9211548

Darius , Bubba has a seasoning that has Emeril's beat . I bought one for each of our families and they rave over it . D mail him and get the poop on it . I think they ship , there is a web site .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9211551

Sorry, cannot afford to buy any ready-made even if it is LOTS better. (Medical bills and trips to UVa Med Ctr. trump purchasing anything else right now.) But Thanks for thinking of me!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 19, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9211557

Keep it in mind for the future , You will love it !

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9211574

Thanks, Sally. I will.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9212803

I decided to try Eating Well's "Top Vegetarian Recipe" of the last 10yrs. I was amazed at how good it was! And it was almost completely grown on my property - the peppers were store bought. (But mine will be coming along soon).

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/braised_summer_vegetables.html

I'm off to CA for another week there - leave Sun. I'm hoping this is the last of the every other week trips and I'll be down to once a month here after.

Tam

This message was edited Jul 20, 2012 7:48 PM
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9213603

Diiner is turkey stuffed peppers. We bought the makings for tabouli for tomorrow's meals.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9213610

I had a frozen prepared meal... sweet and sour chicken. I only succumb to that about once every 3 years. It was okay but I sure don't want to look closely at the ingredient list!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9213637

We've also staopped buying frozen prepared meals. Sometimes we get to busy so something quick like that helps.

How's the canning going?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9213656

Leftover braised veggies tonight - really good the second time around too. Next week, it'll be a number of frozen meals and packaged salads.

Tam
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

July 21, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9213779

We had palaver sauce. I got the recipe from the cookbook our church women's group has just published. Our pastor is from Ghana, and it was her recipe. Palaver sauce is found in variations all over central west Africa. The consistent ingredient is spinach. I used chard from my garden. This recipe had ginger. I thought I wouldn't like that in a main dish, but it combined with the tomatoes and beef and chard in a wonderful way. You put the thick stew over rice or plantains. I'm going to try some variations from the internet.

LAS

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9213985

LAS, how interesting! Share a recipe?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9214068

Oh please do. It sounds quite interesting!
Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9214292

I just posted this on FB and thought I'd share it here:

Switchel is a great summertime beverage - 1/2 cup of cider vinegar, 1/2 cup of honey, 1 or 2 tablespoonsful of ground ginger, and water to fill a half gallon container; then stir. Let sit for an hour or two in the refrigerator and enjoy. It's very refreshing, and excellent for providing an alkaline boost to your system. I used to make this when my kids were small, but the recipe I used to use didn't include ginger. It did include oatmeal, a traditional ingredient for this haymakers' beverage, which you scooped up out of your glass after you were finished drinking the liquid. Personally I prefer ginger.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9214335

Leslie, could it be made with fresh ginger? Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9214365

If you grate it, I don't see why not. I was thinking of you when I posted this! And you can add as much or as little ginger as you like; as I said, the original recipe that I got out of a Rodale magazine, probably in the late 70's or early 80's, didn't include ginger but it did have oatmeal. It's great on a hot day and I'm sure it replenishes those electrolytes.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9214379

Thanks. I love fresh ginger, and even grate it for a hot ginger tea when the weather is cold.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9214402

That sounds great. How much do you use per cup - or is it a matter of taste?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9214418

More a matter if taste. The fresh ginger seems stronger when boiled in good water.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9214680

Dinner tonight is fish, a lemon parsley bulger salad, and fresh cantalope.

I use ginger to make tea sometimes in the winter. A couple of slices does it for the tea. I've grated ginger into liquid items like soup before and it looks funny floating in the soup.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9214701

I "might" be finished with this round of canning today. I have 8 jars of stock in the canner (and several more to go, although they only take 20 minutes per batch), but I also need to do chicken chunks in stock, and Trotter Gear... both of those take 1 hour and 15 minutes in the pressure canner. Yuck.

I will probably FINALLY get my first BLT this evening!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9214765

Lunch was a BLT with basil leaves. It was very good.

A lot of canning. What is Trotter Gear?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9214820

Hard to describe Trotter gear. I add it to almost all soups and stews but plan to use it in pates, terrines and the like.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/recipe-for-a-healthy-jar-of-trotter-gear.html
http://frombellytobacon.com/2010/11/08/charcuterie-trotter-gear/
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

July 22, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9214858

Darius and Tammy,

I will post as soon as I have it in a postable format. I won't be near the recipe again for another 5 days. Feel free to nag if you haven't heard from me in a week.

LAS

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 22, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9214873

Korean food tonight, tofu "bulgogi" and sauteed baby bok choi in sweet chili sauce. Fresh cucumber pickle, and purchased pickled yellow radish. The local Korean market makes their own banchan in separate little containers, kim chi, and pickled veg. They're fantastic.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9215017

Anyone grown leeks and gotten a scape off of it?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9215690

It's bunco night here. BBQ pork sandwiches, baked beans, coleslaw, pasta salad, watermelon, and desserts (those are courtesy of my bunco buddies, so I don't know what will show up.)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9215742

I have a hen in the oven, don't know what will go with it yet for supper. Put a cut orange in the cavity because I am out of lemons.

I also have 8 large butternut squash remaining from last fall that really need cooking before they become compost.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9215906

We're probably going to have tortellini with pesto sauce, cantaloupe for first. Last night we had ribs cooked in the crockpot, along with baked beans, a cucumber salad, cantaloupe, and blackberry cobbler for dessert. It's blackberry season and it's nice to have them to cook with.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 23, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9216050

Open face venison roast sandwiches here , pinto beans and mash potatoes . I might throw in a peach cobbler . I put up about 2 1/2 bushels in the freezer .
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9216095

Dh is having left over fish with tabouli. I making an omlette for myself plus biscuits a la facoccia and possibly a tomato/basil salad.

Dairus - I love butternut squash cubed and roasted with fresh sage. Just cook it on high enough temp that it carmelizes the squash. If the heat of the oven is too much right now then there are some crockpot recipes using squash out there.

It hit 103 today. So cooler than yesterday. If you can really call 101 much cooler than 106. There is a extreme heat and ozone advisory until wednesday.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9216258

Butternut squash butter might be a better idea. That you could cook down in a crockpot.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9216455

We love a butternut squash w/lentils in a crock pot recipe. I can't remember the proportions but probably not critical. Its onions, celery, squash & lentils with veggie (or chicken) stock. And your favorite spices - I use cardamon, cumin and (blanking).

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9216696

It hit 105 yesterday. Suppose to be more of the same. Looks like I will be looking for a no cook or crockpot cook meal for tonight.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9216893

Susan - I was talking to Gary about your heat the other day. I think 104deg is the hottest I've ever experienced. Definitely sounds like no-cook time to me.

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9216959

It's unusual here also. We're running hotter then south of us. Someone told me she was headed for vacation in Florida to get cooler temperatures.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9217006

My tastebuds are set for BLTs tonight - not because I'm being lazy, but I picked the first big "batch" of tomatoes this morning, and they are too ripe and juicy to not be celebrated in some monstrous BLTs on some griddled sourdough bread slices.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9217116

We had them for breakfast yesterday! Our first two Whoppers were ripe, and juicy. There's another one almost ready. Saw a recipe for sea bass wrapped in proscuito that looked interesting but I'll have to hit the fish market for the bass, local markets carry a lot of salmon and tilapia but how fresh it is..up for grabs. Fish market is always fresh.

Tonight is grilled italian sausage, potato salad, and maybe if I get ambitious some egg plant parmesan.

Oops, I forgot, I bought fresh corn too.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 3:55 PM
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9217153

Last time my grandkids came , they requested fried catfish. In the store, I was stunned that the catfish was more exspensive then salmon. When I got on the internet, I found out that it is because the corn is used for fuel, and the catfish feed is very high, so all the catfish beds are closed, it is no profit in it after they buy the food. Only a few growers are left in La. I stick with the can salmon and make salmon patties. Etelka

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 24, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9217157

may I join in on this teasing. Now that I am cooking again here at my DD house?
Baked seabass with sweet and sour caramalized vidalias. Olive loaf (fishmarket has specialty breads.
Purple cherokee heirlooms with sauteed zukes thinssliced vidalia,basil and lemon dressing. Heirlooms from farm zukes from her garden. Also white rice with fresh parsley. Fresh fruit and sheep artisian cheese for dessert.

Yesterday we had stuffed cubanella peppers french style (mild tomato sauce with bechamel,fresh pasta, fresh french bread, Greenbean and garbanzola bean salad with red onion and rosemary. Corn on the cob from farm market for dessert, no butter, no salt nothing just corn on the cob cookec for 5 min with a bunch of tender leaves included in water,

This message was edited Jul 24, 2012 4:44 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9217193

Helene, you really are the queen. It all sounds delish...

I had a BLT for lunch, might have another one for supper as I have just enough tomato left. Farmer's market heirloom tomato... my tomato plants are only a foot tall and I'm not holding my breath.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9217196

It's 103 here right now, (I agree with you Susan, 106 or 100 it's all HOT) Supper is pan-fried chicken drumsticks (currently marinating in buttermilk, hot sauce, etc.) tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans and roasted peppers from the garden.
A nice mess of Anaheim peppers, three new butternut squash today and several eggplant in addition to the other items. The water bill will reflect the cost of the veggies, but how great they taste.
Yes Terry, first ripe tomatoes deserve a celebration!! Ours were so slow to ripen this year considering the "early" spring.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9217236

First large juicy tomato should always go on a BLT.

Fresh tomato sauce on Spelt pasta. Tomatoes are from the garden. It tastes so good that I that I'm not sure there's going to be anything else for dinner tonight.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9217296

I knew I shouldn't have gotten on this thread...now I'm so hungry!!

Darius, I believe that someone at the KY RU had dried cukes once and they were good.

Now I have to look in the freezer for a frozen meal for my dinner! Jo

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9217375

yeah - not a good thread to check before dinner! Those BLT's at Terry's place have me drooling! We have not yet gotten anything but cherry 'maters - I sure hope the big 'guys come on soon!

Tam

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9217556

The BLTs were pretty awesome if I say so myself. I'm thinking hand-patted burgers for tomorrow night, with another juicy mater atop.

In other tomato news, did you know that emus AND cows all like rotten tomatoes? In fact, I caused a bit of a food fight over the fence when I chucked a few of them over to the hungry onlookers. Who knew?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9217595

Interesting neighbors terry!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9217941

practicing posting pictures on this lap top. this was dinner last night. Simi chardonnay in glass

Thumbnail by helenethequeen   Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Click an image for an enlarged view.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9217955

Helen, that looks gorgeous and sounds delicious.

We took our teenaged granddaughter and a friend to Rehoboth yesterday via ferry for a shopping trip, and then had steamed crabs for dinner at Dewey Beach before taking the ferry home again. But it was horribly hot. It was only predicted to be 92 in Rehoboth that day but the thermometer on our car was reading 104. It was way too hot to walk around the town; I caved early and holed up in the bookstore.

Tonight I'm probably going to make pasta with sausage and red gravy, since it's blessedly cool and dry today.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9217967

I love Rehoboth, or did. Haven't been there in 30 years, but a group of us used to rent a condo there every year. Being a redhead, I stayed inside and played in the kitchen while the others tanned in the sun. I'd give a lot for some good steamed blue crabs!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9218024

Tammy, I love our neighbors. We have donkeys on either side of us...and I much prefer them to the human counterparts we had at our last house.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9218090

Darius, we hit the outlets first and then go to Rehoboth proper. We always get frozen yogurt and then DH walks on the beach and DGD or DD and I shop. I love the bookstore; it's one of the few remaining independents and I can always find good things there.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9218109

that was one beautiful day for all.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9218164

Do they still have the fry potato place that a Greek guy had, on the main street in Rehoboth, they where the best potatoes in Delaware. I used to live there from 1970-79, in Wilmington. I liked Lewis beach better , it was not so deep water. My son was little. Last time I was up that way when he graduated from the Coast Guart boot camp, I drove 20 h from Ga by my self, just to see the ceremony.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 25, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9218167

Pan fry a T-Bone and share . It's big . Salad and micro a sweet potato . 'nuff said .
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9218242

Helen - Dinner last night looks good.

GG - Except for the heat it sounds like a fun time. I googled Rehoboth and it looks like a fun beach area.

Terry - Nice to have neighbors appreciative of your gifts and it sounds like a wild time with the tomatoes.

Dinner here is going to be spiced pork in tacos. Probably with blackberries as we picked some up at the market.

It's supposed to be 108 here today. We are supposed to get a break in the heat next week. I'm so hoping that happens.

Speaking of human neighbors, the one to the east of us is getting a divorce and moving. She came out and told me that she found a place near her home town and will be moving sometime soon. Her husband's mother owns the house to us. She said that her soon to be ex mother-in-law asked when she was moving out because she wants to rent it out to her other son and his girlfriend. The son's girlfriend just lost her apartment and the son is not working. They are the partiers in the family plus he has large engine cars that he likes to rev the engine on. The current neighbor is concerned about how we are going to do with them and I told her we'd deal with it. DH said he was ready to move when he heard they might be moving in next to us.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9218246

I'd be in the market to move too.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9218578

My, my... who knew? I sliced some yellow squash to sauté and got sidetracked by the canner which needed my attention. The squash slightly carmelized in the pan, and it was like eating candy! The pan held only a mix of olive oil, butter, and a tad of bacon grease.

Crummy photo and I'd eaten half before taking the photo... my apologies but my computer is about shot. The cherry tomatoes didn't benefit from the same treatment.

Thumbnail by darius

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9218623

Dinner was whole wheat tacos stuffed with chipolte-lime pork, saute onion & peppers, mixture of red quinoa & wahinna rice, with a fruit salsa consisting of fresh peaches, blackberries, dried tart cherries, lime juice & zest, chipotle powder, and mint. It was stellar.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 25, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9218731

That tuna salad you had the other night , sounds good for tomorrow .I won't be using cucumbers, hate them except mixed with onion and mayo , vinegar , sugar .
The tuna will have different fruits on the side , and cottage cheese boiled eggs ,and sliced toms .

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9218734

Darius, I accidentally carmelized some green beans years ago and it became my family's favorite way of serving them. So I can well imagine that squash would be equally good.

Tonight we had Tuscan White Bean and Sausage Stew, with fennel from the garden, served with a baguette to mop up the juices. DGD decided she'd like the recipe - high praise indeed!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9219429

Pretty in Pink... Chive Blossom Vinegar.

Easy to make... just drop a handful of pink chive blossoms into vinegar (I used champagne vinegar) and place in a cool, dark place for a couple of weeks. Strain into sterilized jars. The taste is awesome in a vinaigrette... I haven't splashed any on veggies yet, but I bet that's good too.

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9219707

I made a pseudo chicken a la king with the chicken breasts left from roasting the bird yesterday... no fresh mushrooms in the house. Not too bad, but I didn't have any flat noodles so I used shells. At least they hold the sauce!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9219783

A chef at a local restaurant chose bowties for his pasta because he felt it held the sauce better than linguine or some of his other options.

We went out for TexMex tonight; I had tamales with guacamole. Good as always, and we can have the leftovers for lunch.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012

Post #9219797

I went by the Farmers market in town and stopped by Grammysgarden's (dg) booth and bought a BIG, shiny green mater...gonna fry that sucker up for my dinner tomorrow evening...all by my lonesome!!! Jo
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012

Post #9219798

I went by the Farmers market in town and stopped by Grammysgarden's (dg) booth and bought a BIG, shiny green mater...gonna fry that sucker up for my dinner tomorrow evening...all by my lonesome!!! Jo
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9219845

Daruis - the vinegar has a beautiful color to it.

Jo - Enjoy!

Dinner was left overs from last night. It rained last night and was cooler here today. Suppose to be cooler for a couple of days and then head backup into the 100s again.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9220843

I'm getting rather addicted to the caramelized yellow squash. Just took a plateful over to my neighbor Buster; he ate 'em all right up!

He gave me a hank of purple basil which I have in a pot of champagne vinegar on the stove (to boil and kill any bacteria on the basil). It makes such a pretty vinegar and I love it on salads.

I picked up some stuff from the olive bar at the store; threw in a few dolmades (they were not so good), plus 2 cipollini pickled onions to try. The onions must be in some kind of balsamic vinegar and they are really tasty! Sure wish I'd thrown about a dozen in my container.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9220995

To caramelize the summer squash - just slow heat in oil?

I'm back home for a few weeks this time. I don't think I need to be in CA for a month or so. I so need to get back to real food! Though I did have some good meals out - a delicious sea bass in a wonderful Moroccan spice sauce and another Indian meal with a particularly good mushroom dish. Cool stuffed grape leaves & roasted cauliflower brought in for lunch one day were good too. So it wasn't all bad. lol

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9221120

Tam, I used a mix of olive oil and butter with a tad of bacon grease left over from my BLT's... Thinner slices worked best, and the heat wasn't all that low.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9221141

Dinner last night was spagetti with turket meatballs with a spicy greek cake.

carmelized squash sounds interesting.

BTW - Greek cake in honor of the Olympics.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2012 9:07 AM
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9221267

I didn't have my fried green mater...storming so I had some delish left overs my DD had sent so I just put them in a quick warm up in the microwave...I must get her recipe though. Jo

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9221314

I'm sure I'll find lots of yellow squash in the garden today. I've been away for a week and DH is not good at picking. I did convince him to pick green beans since they stop producing if you don't. But they've been sitting on the counter since Tues - not sure they are worth the time to wash & prep. If there's a lot out in the garden, these will go to the chickens I think.

Tam
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9222790

Maybe in soup if they aren't too bad.

Dinner is moroccan chicken with a spicy eggplant, tomato, and garlic side dish.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 30, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9223418

Thanks Y'all, for the bday wishes - been very busy (retired, you know - so busier than ever).

As for bday dinner - went to Rudi Lechner's for a German supper. Our son brought his daughter and a friend (his DW could not get away from work). Outstanding as usual - music has been performed there for over 23 years by a couple members of Alpenfest - came to the table & sang me a personal Happy Birthday - we have known the band since 1987.

Son's BD is a month after mine - DGD has already said we are taking him back to Rudi's - she fell in love with the food, ambience, music, etc. First time she ever had escargo - big hit - had to order second serving. Not bad for a 14 year old.

Darius, Dmail me your address, please.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

July 30, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9223432

Made some quinoa salad with cilantro-lime dressing, and roast beef, and a tossed salad.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 30, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9223472

Celene , now that sounds GOOD !

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9223478

we had german potato salad, string bean salad Roast chicken on the grill with lemon, rosemary,garlic and basil in the cavity and Corn on the cob from the farm.

Today - chicken salad sadwiches )obviously) and heirloom tomatos.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9224141

Sounds very good.

Dinner was a spinach salad with turkey bacon, black Krim tomato, fresh corn, and a pesto style dressing.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9224167

I had left over braised summer vegetables w/fresh herb sauce & crusty french bread (from dough I made in my bread maker).

Tam

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9224263

Tammy, I use the bread machine recipes and let the machine do the kneading, but I take the dough out for the last rise, shaping and baking. I know, it's lazy...but effective. I don't care for the shape of the bread machine loaves. I have to use a heating pad under the loaf pans or baking sheet for raising because I don't have a cozy spot where it can rise nicely. I put a cooling rack under the pan, and over the heating pad, works really well. I confess, when we had a water bed, I used to wrap it up and tuck it in there, the temperature was perfect!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9224642

LOL. how inventive. The rise can be a problem.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9224675

My parents never had a problem, we had a wood stove that almost always exuded heat, and if not, there was a space heater in the living room in winter. Modern homes aren't built to have warm spots. Ovens don't stay warm enough for long so you need to be creative.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9224684

oh i know, i know. I am here in NJ at my DD house. I just raised the temp to 75 in the house because I am alone today. Used to 76 year round in my FL house. There I put the dough outside on the front patio to rise. Front patio i can watch from Kitchen as I am not sure if those lizzards would get curious and visit the dough. So far so good and it works just fine.
In my NY home I used to put on top of fridge, Your ideas are better by far.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9225005

I'm in NJ, and we don't even have the air on. It's only about 80 outside.

Tonight we're having friends over for cantaloupe, steamed clams, corn on the cob, a zucchini casserole, and a blackberry pie with crème fraîche topping for dessert - blackberries from the garden. Pie's in the oven, zucchini is cooked and in the casserole awaiting the addition of milk, eggs and cheese.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 31, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9225039

Tuna salad plate with fruit ,boiled eggs, cottage cheese, sliced garden tomatoes on the side, croutons .Peaches from the orchard and ice cream
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9226386

Barely back though I admit to peeking here and there. The "Big Fat" wedding was awesome. It will take a bit of time to recover. We are having smoked brisket & tortilla stacks, grilled okra and Romano beans from the garden.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 1, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9226536

Laurel , Wheew !

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9226654

Awww, I'm so glad you're back. Take your time! I thought of you and the wedding often over the past several weeks. I'm glad they got hitched and it went off without a, errrr, well...hitch :-)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9226790

I hope everything was wonderful, Laurel, and that the guests all found the accommodations to be excellent. And I hope it was a fabulous day for the bride and groom and the parents! Mazel tov!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

August 2, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9226816

Indian tonight...I made Paneer makhani and chicken makhani (same sauce, two ways for veg and non-veg people), masoor dal, and sookh aloo. Our local Indian grocery has lovely homemade chapati, so went the lazy route and bought some.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9226863

I'm glad things went well. I look for ward to hearing about it after you recover some.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

August 2, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9226927

Laurel, I'm so glad to hear the wedding went well :)

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9226990

Hint: we sorta kinda like pictures...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9227087

been reading all along about the awsome wedding - glad it was success.

vegetable stuffed shrimp with heirloom tomato salad and fresh ital. bread. Did a no, no used a bit of parm cheese in the stuffing.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9227130

We've really been enjoying the fresh tomatoes from our garden. Today for lunch I had a sliced tomato with provolone cheese and mayonnaise on whole wheat bread. I think that's my favorite sandwich.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9227377

Greenhouse_gal, what's in your zucchini casserole. I have about a dozen medium to large-medium (Burpee brand zucchini don't make seeds at this stage.) I'm always looking for new zuke recipes.

LAS
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9227451

The "kids" (I think I'll always call them that) left this early afternoon. Boo hoo. They were on their way to Franklin, N.C. with a cooler full of wedding leftovers and a romantic B&B. DD has already emailed that the place is like the Bates Motel, their room is the former den off the main dining room with twin beds that do not conjoin (haha) and overlooks a highway cloverleaf. The innkeepers have almost every horizontal surface coated in weird collectable dolls but the redeeming feature is their antique Fiestaware collection. Heads up, Terry. DD did make Fiestaware her everyday pattern as she needs no china or silver. I have multiples. New hub has had his reservation rights permanently revoked. lol I will post photos as soon as someone loads into my computer and time to compress photos and decompress me. SO is coming at me with a thumb drive this minute. Be back soon.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9227492

LAS, I cut the zucchini in slices crossway and then sauté them with some roughly chopped onion in EVOO until tender but not mushy. I put them in the casserole but this time instead of adding the milk and eggs immediately I baked the veggies in the oven for about twenty minutes so that they were a bit caramelized. Then I mixed milk and eggs, one egg to each cup of milk (I usually end up needing two cups), poured it on top of the veggies, and added lots of shredded gruyère on top. You can use parmesan or romano or asiago, too, but I had some gruyère so I used that. Place it all in a preheated 350° oven and bake until set and golden-brown on top. It's really good. And it's more filling than the usual zucchini dishes. As I mentioned, I like it with steamed clams or other meals that need a more substantial side. And leftovers are great with scrambled eggs.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 2, 2012

Post #9227550

G G , tom sandwich with swiss is one of my favorites , after grilled Ruben , bacon and tom .
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2012

Post #9227551

Thanks, Greenhouse_gal. I'm definitely going to try this!

LAS
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9227600

Tonight was Eggplant Parm, marinara sauce all from fresh garden produce, lunch today was bacon, tomato on whole wheat rolls. Love this time of the year.
Laurel, looking forward to photos and reports of the wedding, sounds like a wonderful memory filled occasion. (Ask Terry, I cried tears of joy during the entire ceremony!)

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9227646

LAS14, you can always make some zucchini fritters, it is easy and you don't have to heat up the oven. Just Google Marta Stewarts fritter recepie, it is good, but you can always add cheese to it, like grated Romano.Etelka
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9227663

Here are a few photos of the sanctuary family and I'll post more of the rest of the weekend. We were not allowed to take photos during the service. Unfortunately you are not able to see the bride and groom under the wedding canopy (chuppah). I mounted DD's prayer shawl to a canopy I made and she was married under her prayer shawl that I made for her bat mitzvah when she was thirteen. Her prayer shawl has 613 pearls (belonged to my mom) that I embroidered in a Star of David to symbolize the deeds Jews are supposed to perform throughout life and also that she and her SO should always know that they are here to make a better world for others. We are rabidly serious about raising children for a life of social causes and obligation. The third photo is of the bride, groom and rabbi. She is very close to the rabbi. He mentored and recommended her for scholarships and travel around the world. She was his family's babysitter and taught his children how to swim as well as coached them in summer league competition when she was home from college summers.

Way back when I posted we purchased a fantastic dress that was a daytime Vittadini white jacquard. She last minute ditched the dress, went through my closet, and opted for a long length vintage Lillie Rubin dress of mine. I repeatedly offered up options to her "something old" not an old dress of mine but she would hear none of it. I was freaked that she would want to wear something from my closet on her wedding day. For those who have ever seen that show "Say Yes To The Dress", well the shop, Bridals By Laurie, is just blocks from our home and I did suggest we drop in. She would have none of it. She also requested to wear my (old) black pearl with the dress, which I almost never take off, but did for that day. I was fine with everything but would not have made the same choices. Still..it was her day and she made it her own and it was wonderful.

The fourth photo is the groom, bride, SO and me (looking exhausted before the weekend begins) and the typically bored youngest sibling.

The fifth photo is the Ketubah or wedding contract. They wrote their contract and had their Ketubah caligrphed in Israel. It includes limes from the Song of Songs, also known as the Song of Solomon..."I am my beloved and my beloved is mine". I had her SO's kippah (head covering) embroidered with the Hebrew inscription "Beloved". Most men are bureid with their wedding kippot. SO is going to conservation frame the Ketubah for them. He is an amazing art framer and apprenticed with an Austrian framer and gilt master during our early days together. He hand builds frames from forest woods as well as designing and creating frames from standard moldings. I design many of the frames and mats.

When I was married my father, uncles and rabbi went into the rabbi's study with SO and drank schnapps. Then SO payed Dad a dollar for me and my uncles witnessed a Ketubah that I never saw until after I was married. I am still peeved about no goats or lambs. I also told the rabbi in advance that I was making no commitments to obey.

Okay, pics of the post nups pending.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click an image for an enlarged view.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9227689

Well, that was just lovely, thank you so much for sharing. I think your DD looks perfect!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9227724

She's such a gorgeous girl, in and out and her now-husband seems a wonderful match to her personality - and he has such a charming smile to match his personality :-) So happy for them, and for you and SO - yes, you look a little tired, but very proud - as well you should be. Thanks for sharing!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9227946

You all look so elegant! I bet you feel a wonderful sense pride in having made their special days perfect but also relief that its all behind you and life can go back to "normal".

I'm so wishing we had plenty of garden tomatoes. I've lost 1 plant completely and another looks bad. The ground hogs have eaten all the fruit close to the ground of the rest. All I'm getting so far are sungolds. I'm gonna roast 'em down and make a pasta dish with a few other veggies I have on hand tonight.

Tam
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9227999

Tammy pegged it - you guys are so elegant!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 3, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9228082

I LIKE her dress choice. She matches her DH perfectly . They look soooo good together .I'm going to go have a glass of wine to toast their future !
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 3, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9228083

HELP , Terry , we need a new thread .

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9228101

beautiful , very happy couple. Very elegant indeed. thanks
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9228541

Thanks so much for all the lovely comments. You would not believe they have been together almost six years by looking at them or seeing the way they act around each other. The rabbi made a point of saying how in his knowing them they both have "great kavanah". That means direction of the heart and refers to the way they approach life and support each other. It is a very beautiful relationship.

I'll wait 'til Terry makes a new thread to post any more photos. Many photos are still out there and have not been sent. Meanwhile we are still making our way through reconstituted and reinvented leftovers with garden bounty.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9228543

I think she made a wise choice in a dress!! I will now join my good friend Digger in a saluatory drink to the happiness of the lovely couple/ Jo
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9228571

LOL. Me three. We actually have a fair amount of "beverage" left. I decided not to serve hard liquor at any of the events, save the money on hiring and tipping out a bartender, and put the beverage budget toward buying high end wines, champagnes, cavas, ciders and micro beers. There was a bit of protest in advance from SO and SIL but boy did they thank me for the choice afterwards.

My working menus have been scribbled over. When SO makes some clean copies I'll try to photo and post them.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9228635

I have a nice glass of wine to join in the virtual toast!
Tam
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9228879

Ya'll know how I love chocolate...so my new wine of choice is Chocovine with Raspberry...made in Holland...bought in Krogers/Fry's with a screw top!! Yummy!!! Jo

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9228935

I'll raise my glass as well - a nice crisp cold white (on a muggy, sultry night :-) Best wishes to all and congrats to mom/caterer for pulling it all together. I'm out for tomorrow (our fourth annual school supply giveaway starts at 9 tomorrow morning), so if someone else wants to do the honors of starting a new thread, be my guest. I'm done for the evening because that alarm clock is going off mighty early for a Saturday tomorrow.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9229099

Follow us here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273909/

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 8:13 AM

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9229564

I did want to say earlier. I have not come across such a confident smile as your DD has in both pics. She looks directly at the world, no round and about here. Both very confident peeps.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America