What's for dinner? (Part 34)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Time for another thread! We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1264789/

For many of us, we're in the throes of summer and the typical heat that comes with it. But if we all followed the old adage, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" it would mean no dinner for our families. So what's cooking at your place these days?

Thumbnail by Terry
Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Terry! And thanks, Celene. I saved it in my recipe app. That looks like the kind of thing I've been searching for, with more of a Bisquick-type crust to the cobbler! Some people seem to say that if you're using fresh peaches, less than 1/4 cup of sugar works better, so I'll try that. The last one I made was too sweet.

Columbus, OH

I made veggie soft tacos for dinner tonight, with some roasted corn pico de gallo and black beans.

Missouri City, TX

Made reservations last night - LOL.

Will make bison tacos tonight.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We had something that resembled a not too fancy buffet. Leftover chimichanga, leftover chicken alfredo, leftover german potato salad, and stir fried leftover rice with fresh sugar snaps and green beans!!! Anybody who didn't like it was welcome to take over the kitchen!! The left over leftovers went into the garbage. Enough is enough.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My mother was fond of saying, "If you don't like what I fixed, eat what you brought."

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

darius, my dad's saying was there's four hours difference in a bad and a good meal. If you are hungry enough, it will be good.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

M5 - my chickens love left over left overs. Too back you aren't close enough to share.

I'm in CA again this week. So no home cooking for me. I'll have to cook vicariously through you folks. :-)

Tam

Brenda, nice to see you stop by!! Your dad was like so many of my mother's generation... they remembered scarcity.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Tammy, my DH had to drag me away from Tractor Supply when they got their baby chicks in this spring. I would love to have just enough to supply eggs, but we have a winter problem. No way can put up even a chicken tractor on our property, and another outbuilding is against code. So somebody would have to take on the task of slaughtering, and by then I would have named them all, so it wouldn't be me. DH can't even dunk a live lobster, so it wouldn't be him ...and the D*** cats don't even do housework..........

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I keep thinking I'd like chickens, but I have a chicken-loving dog and I can see me having fun trying to keep them separated. Maybe when the dog is dog-gone...

Tonight is a concoction called "Million Dollar Spaghetti" - which is just a glorified pasta bake. Salad (fresh tomatoes and lettuce from the garden) and garlic bread. And maybe something for dessert if I feel particularly baker-ish. Tomorrow night is pork chops (which means I need to get a loin thawed and sliced.)

Swimmer Girl is out for the week - she's hanging out in Mobile, AL doing inner-city mission work, so it's just me, Mr. Official and Middle Son, unless oldest son gets a hankering for home-cooking. I'm predicting leftover night at least one night this week. That's probably a more reliable forecast than our weather prognostications (although we did get a gentle, soaking rain last night.)

Well, you could clicker-train the dog and the chicks at the same time...

Clicker-Training a Chicken
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LmM7gw5fY2k
Classes to teach them tricks (Roosters don't work well, too aggressive.)
http://www.oregonlive.com/pets/index.ssf/2012/03/chicken_clicker_classes_offer.html

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Creative mode is definitely reserved for upcoming events while we get by wading through freezers and the now productive garden. SO grilled ribeyes that I marinated. I made zucchini boats stuffed with onions, red peppers, mushrooms, grated cheddar, garden garlic and herbs and a stale pumpernickel bread dressing. The zucchini boats would have been enough. Half my ribeye went in the fridge.

Nutz, great to "see" you! Missed you at this year's RU. Your Dad's meal philosophy is interesting. Did he do a lot of cooking or was he supporting Mom?

Since we are sharing parental food commentary, my mom used to say, "If it's good enough for company...it's almost good enough for me". She was not being a food snob but rather holding herself to a standard when she was in the kitchen. For better or worse she passed that down to me.

We have had ducks and rabbits with our hunting dogs. They easily get used to fowl and a single dog will be okay with other game if the game is penned. There isn't a breed that I know of that hunts fowl. Retrievers only fetch. Possums and racoons can really do a number on fowl though. They are much mroe creative about getting at fowl than dogs. Our problem with keeping rabbits in a rural area was that neighboring loose dogs would pack and tear up our rabbit pens.

I forgot to say we are having previously roasted chicken and feta on a monster salad with pickled garden beans.

We had a new refrigerator delivered on Saturday. The old one was dying; the ice maker dead. Newer models don't fit spaces configured for twenty plus y.o. ones. It entailed "minor kitchen alteration". That's like "a little pregnant". This project was about as desirable as a heart attack right now. Kitchen cabinets and their contents are all over the living room. I've been painting beaded pine and staining trim to replace wall coverings where wallpaper no longer exists. We have to return to Atlanta tomorrow and then have three days back here next weekend before the kids arrive and the final countdown begins. I may night be able to fit food into this schedule.

Sounds like Murphy's Law is still at work... my sincere condolences!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

darius, I lurk here daily just haven't posted before today.

Laurel, my Dad was born in 1923 so he was a youth during the depression. They were small time farmers barely getting by. He had seven siblings and he had little patience for picky eaters. I was never a picky eater except when my Mom served salmon patties several days in a row. Not one of my favorites. Dad just felt you ate what was served if you liked it or not. If you were hungry enough, it would taste good. My Mom was an excellent country cook but she only knew fried or boiled. She made cornbread with lard and when Dad passed away at age 61, I told her I was not buying her any more lard. She never had a problem with cholesterol though and she died in 2010 at age 88.

I missed seeing you guys at the round up but I am glad I missed the video making!!

Glad your garden is doing well. We had one at my Mom's property but it practically burned up even with Kenny trying to keep it watered. Dad always had a garden but he always said watering just did not have the same affect as rain.

Plantnutz, the current thinking in some circles is that lard isn't really a bad idea after all. I know that duck and goose fat are supposed to be quite healthy for you.

We scored some organic pork and I tried cooking it tonight for the first time. I thawed two chops and broiled them, with only a sprinkling of garlic powder because I really wanted to check out the taste. It was excellent - juicy and flavorful. I had bought some pork from a friend who had gotten it from a farmer who raised his own old-style, but that was quite lean and lacked flavor. It was more like pork loin - even the butt. I imagine it's the breed. This pork was far superior. With the pork we had fresh corn on the cob, cantaloupe, and salad with our cucumbers and currant tomatoes. Plain but very good.

YUM, Leslie! (I 100% agree on the use of lard, plus fats like duck fat and goose fat, provided they are not CAFO products.)

The only free-range/organic pork farmer left around here doesn't have a very good reputation so I don't buy from him. The one I had "got religion" and quit raising pork.

Dahlonega, GA

Laurel , I wouldn't attempt to put my Westie with fowl. He even tries to get the hummingbirds . He knows better, just can't turn my head . He puts up with the cat , but, if he can get it to run , the chase is on .He tries to ignore Oofie's chicks , but Lord , I don't trust him .
I'm on a watermelon OR fresh peaches and ice cream kick. D H isn't into leftovers so am cooking small amounts .
Tonight it was steamed , fresh okra and onions with tomatoes, bell pepper , shrimp steamed on top and the whole mess over rice . Seasoning was a little of this , a shake of that and some sassafras to boot . D H loved it , UGH , watermelon was more refreshing .

The farmer tells me that the pigs are a mixture of Landrace and Yorkshire. He wanted to try some Berkshire because that's supposed to have a great flavor, but he's having issues with his dad, with whom he's involved in this project, so these will be the last he raises for a while. Oh well. His meat is expensive - $6.50/lb - so I am buying a half pig with a friend and splitting it.

Why doesn't your farmer have a good reputation? Is there some suspicion that he doesn't use all organic feed?

What I heard had more to do with the taste, but that also could be influenced by the processing plant. Never thought to ask what kind of pigs he raises, because the guy I was buying from still had a supply.

The lean breeds don't give that juicy pork flavor that I like.

I'd love to try some Berkshire pork. There's a farm in Charlottesville that raises them, and I'm going up to that area this week. Unfortunately I have NO room in my freezers.

You can at least reconnoiter; they may not have any to sell right now anyway.

Berkshire is incredible.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

g_g, funny how things change; butter was bad, butter is good; coffee was bad, coffee is good; fats are bad, fat is good.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't generally react to all the bad health news that comes to us. I still use real butter, and lard for pastry, but I did give up caffiene, but not for health reasons. It keeps me awake even if I only drink it early in the morning.

Probably bottom line is that anything's okay in moderation, although I can understand staying clear of caffeine if it bothers you that much. I even drink decaf tea because otherwise I can definitely feel its effect on me!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Omce you go caffeine free, it's remarkable how sensitive you become to even small amounts. I have to be careful of carbonated beverages too, everything isn't labeled. I got a fruit smoothie from McD's and was awake until 3 a.m. In a fruit drink!!!

Wow, that's amazing! Why would you add caffeine to a fruit drink?

Dahlonega, GA

Meezers , if it was a pineapple/mango , you had the best one I ever tasted . I'm glad I don't have any food issues . I'm like Mikey , I can eat anything .

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 7:27 PM

I made a casserole of something or other four days ago and left it in the fridge for our return to Atlanta. For the life of me I can't recall what's in it. There are layers of corn tortillas and a filling. It's a reflection of what's going on. I received word from a friend who needs hospice care for his SO and will be working part time the next few days. I need the hours to keep my R.N. license current. Hopefully I can find time to shop a little for something to wear.

The smoothies available in FF joints do not contain caffeine but rather have lots of added sugar. They are not healthy alternatives to soda at all. The ingredients in these drinks are available on line. What is called "sugar rush" or "sugar high" will keep you awake for hours and then the downturn "crash" will also keep you from sleeping.

I can't agree everything is okay in moderation. Some things are just plain poison. Maybe it's best left as pick your poison. Most of us have one or more poisons in our lives.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

In any case, it was free with a coupon, so at least I didn't have to pay for my misery!! I don't usually like overly sweet drinks so it didn't inspire me to try it again. The sugar rush explanation fits to a tee .. I felt like a wet rag the next morning.

Laurel, of course everything isn't okay in moderation - cyanide, for instance! I was talking about things like butter and lard and duck fat, and even sugar if you can tolerate it. I don't think high fructose corn syrup or MSG is okay in any amounts. They are much better avoided.

We had leftover tortellini salad for dinner; of course it was even better the second time around. Cantaloupe for first. Then we went out to the custard stand for ice cream, and our dog had a tiny portion of vanilla with a dog biscuit on top. The weather has been much more tolerable, with temps in the low 80's so we don't need the a/c. After five days with no power it's nice to be comfortable again.

We are having a gumbo-like stew with okra, tomatoes, green beans, onions and peppers. Need to use leftover chicken breast. The flavor twist will be the addition of scraps of smoked brisket from last week's slicing. The mix is simmering in a pint of home canned tomatoes from last season and a bit of the rich, smokey brisket juice.

Leslie, what I meant was considering stats for diabetes, obesity and coronary artery disease in this country the foods you mention are unwarranted for the average person even "in moderation". More like in limitation. Moderate choices expand for the healthy, ideal weight individual. Unfortunately the average American diet excludes moderation. Most of us struggle with eating what we have been brought up to know and love as familiar vs. what is healthy both in quality and quantity. All the more reason the "What's For Dinner" thread is fun and valuable. People here, as mentioned in the past, work towards healthful expression in the meals they make.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 8:05 PM

Dahlonega, GA

Except me ,who could live on sweets . Everyone just puts up with me 'cus I'm so loveable . LOL

That you are, Sally.

What ho, we had lobster tonight. We went down to the beach for a couple of hours, DH took a walk while I read, and then we went over to our favorite dockside restaurant there for some lobster. And they were having a special - a 1 to 1 1/4 lb. lobster with salad and two side dishes for $14.95! We were going to get it at their usual price of $21.95, so this was a nice surprise. Yum!

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Tonight was "Keta" Yukon Salmon (limited fresh salmon supply via local market). new potatoes/w/herbs, tomato/basil, cucumber and feta salad, simple summer pleasures. Best time of the year. (Wish we were near the lobster source, but midwest Kansas doesn't have quite all the advantages!) Still a good time to enjoy the garden produce.

Dahlonega, GA

Yes, and all that fiber is Good for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.