Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bt. a good bacteria and friend in the garden: This is not a friend in the garden

Communities > Forums > Article: Bt. a good bacteria and friend in the garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bt. a good bacteria and friend in the gardenReplies: 7, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AmyInNH
Brookline, NH

July 9, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9198744

Bt kills indiscriminately and is carried around the yard in pollen, so if you were counting on the lady bugs to kill the aphids, it's going to kill the lady bugs. As for the proteins having no effect on people, it would be more accurate to say no proven effects on people. Monsanto's doing a good job of killing off any rigorous scientific studies.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9198797

Many folks are looking for an organic solution vs chemical.
This is one of very few options they have.
Michael_Ronayne
Nutley, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9198864

AmyInNH wrote:Bt kills indiscriminately and is carried around the yard in pollen, so if you were counting on the lady bugs to kill the aphids, it's going to kill the lady bugs. As for the proteins having no effect on people, it would be more accurate to say no proven effects on people. Monsanto's doing a good job of killing off any rigorous scientific studies.

Amy,

Are you confusing Genetically Engineered plants and their pollen, which contain the gene for the expression of the BT toxin with the live Bacillus thuringiensis (BT) bacteria? These are two entirely different issues. Actually the Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria would cut into Monsantoís business because they canít patent it. If you want to outlaw the use of the Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria you may find a friend in Monsanto.

Mike

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 9:45 AM

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9198879

It has done wonders in controlling mosquitoes in Africa and other third world countries to reduce the numbers of malaria deaths.
acfrancis
Trenton, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9199124

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 12:44 PM
the_naturalist
Monrovia, CA

July 9, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9199137

Over my lifetime (I'm now 65) I've had a special spot in my heart and mind for caterpillars and their butterfly or moth adults. Over the last couple of decades it seems to me that numbers of the agriculturally harmless kinds have been declining. I know some of this is due to habitat loss, but I wonder about the effect of Bt introduction into the environment!
boddah
Accord, NY

July 10, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9199935

This is where organics fail. Spraying to kill in any fashion is a losing battle (maybe other than very site specific and temporary applications). Unless a being can kill or injure u there is never a reason to kill it. If you must kill it for food and it's not a choice but a fact of survival then maybe that changes, but to kill good and bad bugs all at once over and over to grow things where they should not be grown is a failure of human intelligence. We are growing weaker as a people and taking all the "beneficial" species with us. Organic growing has become just another avenue of human technogy it is not a natural food. See masanobu fukuoka
AmyInNH
Brookline, NH

July 11, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9595267

The BT genetically inserted in plants by Monsanto is the same BT. And while it is considered organic when you apply it to your garden, it has the same effect, it kills the insects that were not problematic. And to say it can be can be limited impact by avoiding sensitive areas implies insects will know which area to avoid, or a human would know which the insects will/won't be interested in. This doesn't take into account pollen and drift.

As for, is BT "safe" in your food, Monsanto, who is putting it into food plants, is burying those studies. So apparently "sensitive" areas include human consumption plants.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bt. a good bacteria and friend in the garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
BT Applications Michael_Ronayne 7 Jul 30, 2012 8:15 AM
How to Brew Your Own BT Pesticide Michael_Ronayne 2 Jul 10, 2012 5:10 AM
Storage florida254 3 Jul 22, 2012 6:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America