Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: I am now a goat owner ☺

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 16, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9199038

These are the does. We got a buckling, too, but he is in a separate pen as a couple of the doelings are too young. Only a small heard but a start!

The second photo is of the older doe I got to be the alpha doe and teach the younger does the ropes. I had a head librarian once who used to get to looking like this in staff meetings!

Thumbnail by terri_emory   Thumbnail by terri_emory
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
12:25 AM

Post #9201194

Good lookin' goats you got there! Are they milk goats or eatin' goats? (I know nothing about goats except that if you give them sweet feed they get spoiled and don't want to eat grass. A friend told me this.)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9201372

Ladypearl, thanks! These are eatin' goats. The little brown doeling and the little off white doeling are Kikos and the big brown and black is a Spanish. The rest and 50/50 Spanish/Kiko. I also got a Kiko buckling, but he is in a separate pen. They are mostly to clear up this really overgrown pasture. But we are hoping to build a heard as we go along.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9202846

They say goats will do the trick on clearing your land. Wouldn't mind having a few myself but don't know how we could keep them out of all the gardens and off the fruit trees. (our fences do well for the chickens and dog but not strong enough for goats.)

I lived in Greece years ago and boy do they (Greeks) know how to cook up the goat meat (Yummmmy!) Hope your herd grows quickly for you.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9203803

Are kikos a dairy breed? Love the horns on your spanish doe. The buck I borrow from a friend has horns like that and rather longish hair. He is small so I thought he was a pygmy or a dwarf but I wonder now if he is spanish crossed. Are they the only ones with that type horn?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9203838

I think they all have horns unless dis-budded, but I'm not as knowledgeable as I would hope regarding goats. This is a totally new adventure for DH and me =). Kikos can be multi-purpose but are primarily meat goats. Our buckling is six months old and already has horns around 12" long. He is going to be a big boy!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9203857

Mine have horns too but they just curve back in a gentle arc, not that elaborate swing like your girl has. The buck I use has that same swing to his horns.

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9210830

Wish you luck with the goats. I had two at one time my kids were very young 6/7 yrs old . And those goats acted like little dogs followed the kids all around the yard, even inside the house. I realy like smoked goat meat but those two never made it to the smoker.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9211123

Thank you!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9212260

Oh,Terri, I'm so excited for you! I knew you were for looking for the kikos. Great job finding them, they are some lovely looking ladies :0) Named yet?
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9212290

Ah, gee! Thanks!

The adult (brown one) is a 100% Spanish. Even though these are production goats we are naming them as we will keep these for some time, if not all their lives, as our foundation stock. So the Spanish mama is named Georgia after a nice lady who owns the diner where we eat breakfast every Saturday morning. She says she is thrilled we named a goat after her and keeps laughing about it (I hope she really is thrilled, we don't mean it in a bad way at all!). Our son name the Spanish doe's daughter Toni (long story there). She is 50/50 Kiko/Spanish. And the little brown doeling, 100% Kiko, is named Little Michelle after a friend with a really wild sense of humor back up in Chicago. She's getting married next week (our friend, not the goat) and her future husband keeps wanting us to bring the goat up for the wedding. If they were getting married somewhere near here we would, but Chicago is too far for a little goat to travel! Then we named the Kiko buckling (not pictured) after our fence guy. He doesn't know that and we probably won't tell him as we don't know him that well. But they have the same hair style. Their hair is so similar it is almost uncanny! The rest are still to be named...

DH agreed to get them basically to humor me as I've been looking for something to do once I semi-retire and also to keep our land in AG. Now that we have them, he is making plans to expand and is becoming obsessed with their protection from coyotes. Even attending goat raisers meetings with me. So the goats are a good thing!

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9212307

Terecita, comgratulations on your new family members !

What is the goat named-after-the-sence-guts' name ?

I promise not to tell the fence guy ...

Can wesee a pic of that little goaty ?

My imagination is running wild about how that hair could possibly look !

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9212309

Terri, glad to see you have goats! LGD's (Livestock Guardian Dogs) are the absolute best for goat protection, or any livestock protection. There are many breeds and crosses that can do the job, I just bought a 6 month old pup to put in with my young dairy goats and will move her when the younguns get moved to be with my milkers. My guys killed a coyote this spring, one stupid enough to wander in our fences. Two years ago they killed a bobcat that attacked a ewe by jumping out of a tree. I stiched up the ewe and one dog had a nasty claw mark across his face but the cat was dead.
We run pairs because there are a lot of smart coyote packs, but a good single dog will keep most animals safe.
All my goats are disbudded, had Jacob sheep once and the horns always caught in fences, poked me, hurt others. I used to walk around with bruises from being bumped inadvertently.

Good luck and feel free to holler at me if you ever have any questions, I had to learn the hard way and now am setting up my dairy for licensing so I might have answers for you.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 20, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9212320

If you don't want dogs, donkeys or llamas will chase away coyotes and feral hogs. I don't know about bobcats...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9212356

I love the names and the stories behind the names. A little saddened that LM won't be making it to the wedding, tho.lol
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9212476

Well, rouxcrew, those are some fine looking babies there. We've been tossing around the idea of a gardian dog. We hadn't wanted one as we already have five dogs, but we met the gardian dogs owned by the folks from whom we bought these goats and they were more like pet dogs who guard goats. I've met some rather aggressive guardian dogs around here but I was told that those dogs were not trained properly. They shouldn't be running loose like that. That does make sense. Some of the folks around here just let their guardian dogs wander anywhere and I got kind of a bad impression of them. But our goat sellers told us all about how they train theirs and how effective they are. So we are now more open to finding just the right one when the time comes. Right now we will be locking the goats up at night just to be safe. I'll keep you all in mind once questions arrise! Congratulations on all your hard work to get the dairy going!

Will try to remember to get a photo of the buckling for posting next week.

Porkpal, we do have donkeys but they are imprinted upon the cattle. You should have heard them cry last year when the cattle owner took his cow off our property because of the drought. They carried on for days. They do a good job of keeping the coyotes away from the small herd of cattle (they are back now, we lease the grazing rights to this fellow) but they don't keep them completely off the property. We are thinking we might borrow a jack to breed to our jennies and then pen a couple of the jennies in with the goats so that their babies will attach to the goats.

Cocoa, LM didn't think she wanted to wear a bridesmaid dress anyway!

Thanks for all your kind comments guys!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9212963

My LGD's have to be amiable because of all the foot traffic on the farm. They babysit students kids, keep an eye on me, and still wander around with my sheep. A good one is marvelous, but when you do get ready, get one started properly, and from a place with a history of good dogs. Purebred is not the issue, most are "mixed" but only guardian breeds. And one raised in someone's back yard won't be bonded to the livestock.
Don't have a picture of our new girl yet, but here is one of our old guy, Squishy, when he was a bit younger.
Love your kikos, can't wait to see a picture of your buckling.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America