Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Cucumber plants NOT flowering.....

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 12, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cate333
Freemansburg, PA

July 9, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9199509

Hello Everyone! I am new to Dave's. I have searched the internet relentlessly trying to figure out what is going on with my cucumber plants but haven't gotten anywhere! I am hoping someone can help me solve my mystery! Last year I purchased Burpee Cucumber Homemade Pickle seeds and had a very successful season. At the end of season I let a few cucumbers lay in my garden and hoped they would germinate this spring. Well did they ever! I have over 15 plants coming up around my garden and did not move them, I just trellised them and let them go crazy. My plants are about 8 weeks now and the vines and leaves are growing beautifully however, not ONE flower(male or female) has grown on any of my plants! (15 plants growing) I am finding this very odd and have searched for reason on how to correct this, but I've come up empty handed. Am I not being patient? I remember last year that the plants weren't as far along week wise and were already producing fruit. Could it be that the seeds are genetically altered NOT to produce fruit a second season? It says nothing about them being hybrids on the seed packet either. Could it be too much nitrogen in the soil? I do not think this is the problem. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thumbnail by Cate333   Thumbnail by Cate333   Thumbnail by Cate333
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9199675

Too much nitrogen can stimulate lots of green growth at the expense of blooms, so if you've been fertilizing them a fair amount that could be it. The other thing I wonder about is if they're getting enough sun? It could be just a coincidence of the particular time when you took the pictures, but it looks fairly shady there which could also hinder blooming.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9199943

I can't find that cucumber listed, as I was wondering if it was a hybrid. If it was you never know what to expect from seeds you save.
Cate333
Freemansburg, PA

July 10, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9200375

Thanks so much ! This area receives a good 8 hours of full sun. It was around 6:30 in the evening when I took this picture. I have not fertilized them in about 4 weeks. The roots are covered in about a half of inch of mulch to keep moist, beneath is a mixture of top soil, and a manure mixture that was worked into the ground prior to when I noticed the plants sprouting. Well, I guess I will just enjoy their viney beauty and hope for the best!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9202072

cate==

I can see on picture #1 ans 32 that there is a Spider Mite problem.
See the speckled. mottled look on the leaves...
This should not have anything to do with blooming. Just wanted to let you know to spray with something...
Something safe for edibles...

I have Spider Mites everywhere this summer. Myst be the heat and the drought.

Gita

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9203734

My cukes hate pampering, like to fight to live, dunno why, but you could have planted on a day bad for cukes- have you clef put our Gardening by the Moon forum? If the time you Planted them wasn't right, they will simply be a plant until conditions are right, or perhaps not at all, if it was a hybrid it's apt to make a plant and no fruit, or not grow at all, those are just no info on a var- could have been several lumped together you got

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9204186

kittriana---

NOT really following you here...I do not know anything much about planting by the moon...
Sorry! I know in the "Pld farmers Alnanac" it is all explained.
It would just be another thing to occupy my time.
I spend enough time on DG as it is...

Gita

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9204350

If you are a member, there is a forum- 'gardening by the Moon', she lays out each month what days are best for what plants, each day of the month, it does really work for the best during planting days. The var you bought isn't a variety or a type of seed, it could have been anything repackaged that would qualify as a 'best pickling cuke' etc, so the plants could be anything that is a cucumber, but might not seed back true to the old plants, grade F1 seeds will have a definite name and the seeds be the best to keep for future plants, did that help?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9204439

kittriana---

Been a member since 2003.
I guess I just do not delve a whole lot outside the Mid Atlantic Forum...

Kind of a creature of habit...Gita

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9204593

I have had to break many habits, I find it keeps from being totally bored, but I do it on my terms as I am ready, but learning the different ways to utilize this wealth of infoation- especially with the changes Daves has made since that time has left me behind. It doesn't help my job is14 hrs minimum a day and stuck where ALL of my attention is trapped dodging tourists, grandchildren, great grandfathers and pure and simple jerks,so this place is where I play. Did you Never 'plant by the moon'? I once tried, but that person takes a lot of stress put of wondering which part of the moon we're in. Texas last year defied all sorts of plant rules, and the things I see when I run 48 states tell me those things are visiting everywhere I go. At this moment, I am exhausted, literally, physically and mentally and what I see leaves me feeling battered by too much sadness. Go visiting, treat yourself to exploring as I do, and perhaps your answers are ones you find you actually knew but needed a chuckl to remember.
Cate333
Freemansburg, PA

July 17, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9208823

Gita-> Thanks for pointing the spider mite issue--I was not aware that this is what caused that molted spotted leaves. I thought I had beginning of fungus from watering them later at night than i should.

Kattriana--> Must check into this "gardening by the moon"...really looks interesting. However, these plants sprouted on their own from last years seeds that were left in the ground. I am guessing they germinated at the wrong time? As of today, still none of my plants have flowered and I have almost given up hope that they will produce any fruit. Thanks for sharing your information. I love to learn new things!!!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9208885

Am trying to remember the weather you guys have been getting, wetter than usual or dryer than usual? These are my Burpee cucumber sets I put out this year - no time for seeds- I believe them to ACTUALLY be a slicing burpless cucumber of some sort, you can see they surprised me with only 3 plants and I thought they would be growing too big to eat, but they are good this size and goin crazy in our rains now, you may be deficient in the blooming fertilizer dept, and crowding for water tho. 2nd pic was taken in June while I was gone, the rest are of my arrival home mid July- and my dau has been pitching cukes that are bigger- hmmm, you may just be impatient, seems like they had runners in May, but no blooms yet, and I think the sets went in ground the last of March...hang in there!!

Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9209178

cate---

The weather we have had in this area is despicable! Heat and drought--the spider mites just love this!

1--Here is a close-up of a Brugmansia leaf showing early Spider Mite damage.
The tiny, yellow speckles on top of the leaf. Try to recognize this and spray asap.
Turn the leaf over. If you see tiny, tiny black specs there--those are spider mites.
If you are not sure---take a sheet of white paper--put it under an affected leaf and tap it.
You may need a magnifying glass--BUT--if any of those little specks that you tapped off
start to move--you have Spider Mites.

2--Further along---the leaves will look more yellowish--with a dull, grayish appearance.
These are leaves on my Brugmansia--which, by now, is getting totally destroyed...
I spray with NEEM--but it just marches on. Maybe my NEEN is old...
3-- Here are some severely affected leaves on my big, old Burning Bush.
Just took these today. The leaves are now dropping off like flies--
The East exposure of this shrubs is still OK--but the West (towards my Patio) is shot!
The infestation is moving on to the rest of the shrub. Sprayed today again---may be a lost cause.
These shrubs will survive--but I hate the thought of them spreading the SM on to everything else.
4-- This is what i was faced with this morning...decided to disassemble all my plant shelving against the shrub--
clean up all the fallen off leaves---spray everything with 2 gallons of NEEM and then put everything back.
As you well know--it was in the high 90's today. Under my patio, though, it was a bit cooler so I plugged along...

I have NEVER, EVER seen this many Spider Mites on anything any other year!!!
Blame it on NO winter---ALL the bugs never died off--they all survived---All this heat--NO rain--etc...

I am NO expert on Cucumbers. Last year--i also lost all my plants. I think it was some kind of Bacterial Wilt.
So far--mine are doing OK! Better shut my mouth!!!!!
Good luck with your crop! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America