We have a HUGE problem in my neighborhood with poison ivy - as long as I remember. And this year it's worst as ever because of the mild winter. I have been spraying and trying to create a poison ivy free backyard for my family. I just found a small poison ivy plant in with my carrots in my vegetable garden. I pulled it out and it looked like it was a free standing plant (never mind we had tilled the garden in the spring and never found roots). So I blame it on the birds. But I am wondering – what sort of area around where the poison ivy was found is “contaminated”? The carrots are very young and I pulled out everything within 3 inches of the ivy (so carrots that were touching the ivy and then some).
Just wondering if I need to pull out more. and also just wondering if folks think that the oil is in the soil (around the ivy or still there after pulling it)? I have read conflicting information.
Poison ivy is sooooo hard to control. The only thing that works for us is definitely not organic (our son is severely alergic to poison ivy so we bite the bullet for his sake). And the goats, which isn't a solution for a non-rural area.
My understanding is that the oil is in the leaves, but the roots could be a possibility. So I'm anxious to hear what others think. Good question!