Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Neck of the Woods * Our Third Annual Swap

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome to our Third Annual "Neck of the Woods” gift exchange! As in previous years, we’ll share food and / or drinks that are popular either where we live now OR are popular in places where we have lived.

A few suggestions to get your appetites whetted could be spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, honey or molasses, cheeses or breads, jams or jellies -- just to name a few. You’re welcome to make goodies if you’re handy in the kitchen, or alternatively shop locally or online for your Buddy.

You're also welcome to share Spring and Summer blooming bulbs, divisions of Perennials you’re already growing, freshly harvested seeds, or other gardening items which fit within your budget. The bulk of your items, though, should be food-related.

Rules and Guidelines…

The value of our items should be $20, less the cost of Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. For privacy, tracking numbers should never be posted on our threads. Instead keep your receipt handy and / or D-mail the numbers you use to me. Carefully wrap your items for transit, and better yet insure packages that contain breakables.

If you are diabetic or allergic to any foods or fragrances, please let us know when you sign up.

Newcomers to DG or other interested folks who haven’t previously participated in a swap I've moderated are welcome to join. Prior to posting your interest, please send a D-mail to me with your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address and include "Neck of the Woods" in the subject line.

Our cut-off date to sign-up is Midnight Friday, August 3rd. You will be assigned a Buddy shortly afterward, not sure if you will be paired directly or we will have a Secret swap. All packages need be mailed please no later than the week of August 27th.

Participants need to ensure your DG Subscription is paid through September.

Let the interest begin!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Our Participants.....

ahoogstra / Alicia (Michigan) -- XXL T-Shirt; love hot & spicy foods. I love wine too and Chocolate

careyana / Carey (Texas) --

chicory31 / Kerrie (North Carolina) -- alcohol is OK; like chocolate and... really there is not much I don't like, except black licorice. Hot and spicy is fine.
XL T-Shirt

ClanCampbell / Chris (Iowa) Likes: BBQ sauce (hey, I was born and raised in TX-gotta love BBQ as much as you love Chili!), spicy foods, salty foods, would enjoy pasta noodles that are locally made, margaritas (Let's see someone send THAT through the mail!),
Dislikes: not much of anything, just no chocolate - I love dark choc, but think it might get a little nasty being sent through the mail right now.

Cris316 / Cris (New Jersey) -- Allergic to bananas, grapes & turkey. Don't like hot stuff or heavy spices.
Love chocolate, home-made stuff (crafts & baking).

deejay9 / Susie (Michigan) -- alcohol is OK

FruitOfTheVine / Susan (Virginia) -- XL T-Shirt: alcohol is OK
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8354406

GardenQuail / Michelle (California) -- Large T-Shirt.
A few dislikes: Please, no alcoholic beverages, hot spices, or olives.
A good smokey bbq sauce without hot spices sounds delicious

happgarden / Joyce (Missouri) -- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8358637
Alcohol is OK. I have dogs, cats, small koi pond, and new additions are ducks and chickens. Still not sure why we have ducks and chickens but we do...rofl.

lizrainey / Liz (California) -- XL T-Shirt; alcohol is OK

rouxcrew / Joy (Texas) -- Medium T-Shirt; alcohol is OK

taters55 / Linda Kay (Texas) --

Tina_A / Tina (Texas) -- I happen to love all foods, but I'm allergic to bananas and avocados. I'm not much of a beer drinker, although dh is. My shirt size is 3X,

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 1:41 PM

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Add my name please?

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

me too, and would someone invite KayJones for me?

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Of course add me!!!!!!! (Jumping up and down frantically)

Debra, I don't see KayJones in the address exchange.

Glad to add you gals and have sent KayJones an invite, Debra.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

you're the best, fruity!

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Susan, can you sign me up, too, please? My husband and I have been thinking about what things we might include :)
Michelle

hayward, CA

oh sign me up please

Sure thing, Michelle and Liz. When I was out of town last week, I picked up a boule of Sourdough bread during my first trip ever to a Whole Foods store. Whoa, what a wonderful place to shop but oh so pricey. The bread is good but not nearly as delicious as the real thing from San Fran.

Liz, how are you doing now?

Everybody welcome ahoogstra who will be joining us as well.
Alicia, feel free to chime in any time.

Glad to have you with us Alicia!

hayward, CA

im good Susan, quit smoking now to learn how to eat not a happy camper on that but i will be able to eat meat its a similar diet to Atkins so going for cardiac rehab for 12 weeks then in august get to have my knee worked on i cant wait! have a torn meniscus but it will be a quick procedure then 2 weeks of recuperating and ill be good as new then no more doctors! lol

cant wait to get into the city again for all my goodies!

Cutlerville, MI

So excited to join you all! lizrainey......you better take care of yourself! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited you stopped smoking! Cancer runs rampid in my life.....my husband has battled it twice, my mom passed away from leukemia, my brother (32yrs old) is dying of pancreatic cancer, my mother in-law has battled cancer twice.....so needless to say WAY TO GO!!!!! Just dmail me if you need ANY inspiration, or just need a friend to help in anyway! You seriously are amazing to even attempt quitting...let alone quitting!
Have a GREAT day everyone!
Alicia

Alicia, so sorry to hear so many in your family are battling cancer! Sending prayers to all!

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Please add my name too

Hey Tina! Long time since I've seen you, girlfriend.

hayward, CA

thanks alicia, it was a rude awakening for me! i learned my lesson geeez
omg all the cancers sending you prayers too.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I always look forward to this swap and have been picking up things here and there along the way. HOPEFULLY I will be all caught up with everything else by then! At least I have a head start on goodies. Add me in please.

Cutlerville, MI

I appreciate the prayers, I know God has a plan and someday I MAY learn what it is, but I have finally learned, that HE has carries burden, so I don't have to carry it too! One thing I know for sure......God has shared his strength with me, and has given me the gift of empathy for others! We are all good right now excwpt for my bro, but he will be OK either way, healed on earth or healed in Heaven! Thanks again!
Can't wait to swap!!!!!!!!!!
Ahoogstra

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Hey, we've added more people since I stopped by last :) Welcome to all!
Michelle

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

FOTV,
Been busy with school. This is the last time I do school in the summer. lol I can't wait to have fun with the swap though.
Tina

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

OH My How did i miss this ??? Please don't let me miss out on this . I Just love it & I Still have My Bottle of WINE from CALIF :) HEHE
& my Grab is still hanging on my wall , & My Key chains are being used, my cocoa is gone ,wonder why ???? MMMMMMM

anyway I'm ready for more great goodies :)

Ooh I remember my box from you last year, Tina, full of Japanese memories.

Gotcha covered, Susie. Wouldn't want you to miss out either :)

DID I Happen To MENTION I LOVE SOUTHERN COOKING :) SUSAN WAS It you that sent me the RECIPE For SHRIMP& GRITS MAGNET ???

It wasn't me but that is one of my fav comfort dishes. Can you get grits up there?

hayward, CA

susie lol

well now that were mentioning things there is a delightful wine made and only available in texas lol

And a lot of delightful wines are made in VA. Did I tell you about the time my SIL came for a visit when I lived in your neck of the woods, Liz, and we were kicked out of Fetzer? lol

We have a new player. Everyone give a warm welcome to keysfins / Paula.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah yes, I have tried for years to be head of promotionals at some of our TX wineries! And our breweries as well. Alas, they love that I promote TX wines and brews but not enough to pay me. So I suffer on! I have several things that I still use from our swap, although most of the food is gone almost before it gets a photo. Wouldn't want it to spoil.

Welcome Paula,

Joy

Welcome to the group keysfins / Paula! We are glad your here!

liz i still have the wine you sent me :) they say the older the wine the better but affraid i might get older then the wine :(

sooz we can get the white grits , but i like the yellow grits best, but cannot find them here

. LK if you can get more pecan for me i sure will be happy to send you the postage & cost for them:)
well Nurse is here back later

I can do that Susie, let me see what I can find, I will send you a big box!

oh cool thank you my buddy might get a treat from two states ;)

Nurse is gone but will be back later today so i'm off to get laundry done while daddy is laying down .back later

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi Susan,

Could you add me to this exchange?

Thanks!

Sure thing. Welcome Kerrie!

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Fruity, you tried to pull me into this one last year.

Now that things have settled down a bit around here, sign me up! Food/beverage items specific to Austin are easy peasy to come up with!!!! I just need to know alcoholic preferences for any potential swap buddies! ;)

Just a word of caution to those mailing wine or any alcohol, don't tell the post office, tell them it is bubble bath, or just tell them it is fragile.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

LK, we live in Texas - that be BBQ sauce!

^_^

LOL Carey, does Jack Daniels BBQ sauce count? It's so good slathered on ribs and chicken.

The only 'legal' way for an individual to mail alcoholic beverages is through UPS, although I'm not going to snitch. Just sayin' as our Manda coined that phrase. Where are you Manda? Working hard or out joy riding with the top down?

If you do not want Wine or a Brewsky included in your package, speak up and I'll add an appropriate note next to your name near the top of the page.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.