Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Neck of the Woods * Our Third Annual Swap

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 111, Views: 558
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9199759

Welcome to our Third Annual "Neck of the Woods” gift exchange! As in previous years, we’ll share food and / or drinks that are popular either where we live now OR are popular in places where we have lived.

A few suggestions to get your appetites whetted could be spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, honey or molasses, cheeses or breads, jams or jellies -- just to name a few. You’re welcome to make goodies if you’re handy in the kitchen, or alternatively shop locally or online for your Buddy.

You're also welcome to share Spring and Summer blooming bulbs, divisions of Perennials you’re already growing, freshly harvested seeds, or other gardening items which fit within your budget. The bulk of your items, though, should be food-related.

Rules and Guidelines…

The value of our items should be $20, less the cost of Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. For privacy, tracking numbers should never be posted on our threads. Instead keep your receipt handy and / or D-mail the numbers you use to me. Carefully wrap your items for transit, and better yet insure packages that contain breakables.

If you are diabetic or allergic to any foods or fragrances, please let us know when you sign up.

Newcomers to DG or other interested folks who haven’t previously participated in a swap I've moderated are welcome to join. Prior to posting your interest, please send a D-mail to me with your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address and include "Neck of the Woods" in the subject line.

Our cut-off date to sign-up is Midnight Friday, August 3rd. You will be assigned a Buddy shortly afterward, not sure if you will be paired directly or we will have a Secret swap. All packages need be mailed please no later than the week of August 27th.

Participants need to ensure your DG Subscription is paid through September.

Let the interest begin!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9199761

Our Participants...

ahoogstra / Alicia (Michigan) -- XXL T-Shirt; love hot & spicy foods. I love wine too and Chocolate

careyana / Carey (Texas) --

chicory31 / Kerrie (North Carolina) -- alcohol is OK; like chocolate and... really there is not much I don't like, except black licorice. Hot and spicy is fine.
XL T-Shirt

ClanCampbell / Chris (Iowa) Likes: BBQ sauce (hey, I was born and raised in TX-gotta love BBQ as much as you love Chili!), spicy foods, salty foods, would enjoy pasta noodles that are locally made, margaritas (Let's see someone send THAT through the mail!),
Dislikes: not much of anything, just no chocolate - I love dark choc, but think it might get a little nasty being sent through the mail right now.

Cris316 / Cris (New Jersey) -- Allergic to bananas, grapes & turkey. Don't like hot stuff or heavy spices.
Love chocolate, home-made stuff (crafts & baking).

deejay9 / Susie (Michigan) -- alcohol is OK

FruitOfTheVine / Susan (Virginia) -- XL T-Shirt: alcohol is OK
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8354406

GardenQuail / Michelle (California) -- Large T-Shirt.
A few dislikes: Please, no alcoholic beverages, hot spices, or olives.
A good smokey bbq sauce without hot spices sounds delicious

happgarden / Joyce (Missouri) -- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8358637
Alcohol is OK. I have dogs, cats, small koi pond, and new additions are ducks and chickens. Still not sure why we have ducks and chickens but we do...rofl.

lizrainey / Liz (California) -- XL T-Shirt; alcohol is OK

rouxcrew / Joy (Texas) -- Medium T-Shirt; alcohol is OK

taters55 / Linda Kay (Texas) --

Tina_A / Tina (Texas) -- I happen to love all foods, but I'm allergic to bananas and avocados. I'm not much of a beer drinker, although dh is. My shirt size is 3X,

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 1:41 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9199832

Add my name please?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9199912

me too, and would someone invite KayJones for me?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9200029

Of course add me!!!!!!! (Jumping up and down frantically)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9200068

Debra, I don't see KayJones in the address exchange.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9200304

Glad to add you gals and have sent KayJones an invite, Debra.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9201007

you're the best, fruity!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9204267

Susan, can you sign me up, too, please? My husband and I have been thinking about what things we might include :)
Michelle
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9205395

oh sign me up please
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9206348

Sure thing, Michelle and Liz. When I was out of town last week, I picked up a boule of Sourdough bread during my first trip ever to a Whole Foods store. Whoa, what a wonderful place to shop but oh so pricey. The bread is good but not nearly as delicious as the real thing from San Fran.

Liz, how are you doing now?

Everybody welcome ahoogstra who will be joining us as well.
Alicia, feel free to chime in any time.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9206796

Glad to have you with us Alicia!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9206870

im good Susan, quit smoking now to learn how to eat not a happy camper on that but i will be able to eat meat its a similar diet to Atkins so going for cardiac rehab for 12 weeks then in august get to have my knee worked on i cant wait! have a torn meniscus but it will be a quick procedure then 2 weeks of recuperating and ill be good as new then no more doctors! lol

cant wait to get into the city again for all my goodies!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 16, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9206953

So excited to join you all! lizrainey...you better take care of yourself! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited you stopped smoking! Cancer runs rampid in my life...my husband has battled it twice, my mom passed away from leukemia, my brother (32yrs old) is dying of pancreatic cancer, my mother in-law has battled cancer twice...so needless to say WAY TO GO!!!!! Just dmail me if you need ANY inspiration, or just need a friend to help in anyway! You seriously are amazing to even attempt quitting...let alone quitting!
Have a GREAT day everyone!
Alicia

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9206976

Alicia, so sorry to hear so many in your family are battling cancer! Sending prayers to all!
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9208378

Please add my name too
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9208653

Hey Tina! Long time since I've seen you, girlfriend.

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9209668

thanks alicia, it was a rude awakening for me! i learned my lesson geeez
omg all the cancers sending you prayers too.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9210717

I always look forward to this swap and have been picking up things here and there along the way. HOPEFULLY I will be all caught up with everything else by then! At least I have a head start on goodies. Add me in please.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 18, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9210774

I appreciate the prayers, I know God has a plan and someday I MAY learn what it is, but I have finally learned, that HE has carries burden, so I don't have to carry it too! One thing I know for sure...God has shared his strength with me, and has given me the gift of empathy for others! We are all good right now excwpt for my bro, but he will be OK either way, healed on earth or healed in Heaven! Thanks again!
Can't wait to swap!!!!!!!!!!
Ahoogstra
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9210935

Hi, all.
Hey, we've added more people since I stopped by last :) Welcome to all!
Michelle
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9214672

FOTV,
Been busy with school. This is the last time I do school in the summer. lol I can't wait to have fun with the swap though.
Tina

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9214734

OH My How did i miss this ??? Please don't let me miss out on this . I Just love it & I Still have My Bottle of WINE from CALIF :) HEHE
& my Grab is still hanging on my wall , & My Key chains are being used, my cocoa is gone ,wonder why ???? MMMMMMM

anyway I'm ready for more great goodies :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9214766

Ooh I remember my box from you last year, Tina, full of Japanese memories.

Gotcha covered, Susie. Wouldn't want you to miss out either :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9214776

DID I Happen To MENTION I LOVE SOUTHERN COOKING :) SUSAN WAS It you that sent me the RECIPE For SHRIMP& GRITS MAGNET ???
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9214879

It wasn't me but that is one of my fav comfort dishes. Can you get grits up there?
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9214882

susie lol

well now that were mentioning things there is a delightful wine made and only available in texas lol
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9214952

And a lot of delightful wines are made in VA. Did I tell you about the time my SIL came for a visit when I lived in your neck of the woods, Liz, and we were kicked out of Fetzer? lol

We have a new player. Everyone give a warm welcome to keysfins / Paula.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9215033

Ah yes, I have tried for years to be head of promotionals at some of our TX wineries! And our breweries as well. Alas, they love that I promote TX wines and brews but not enough to pay me. So I suffer on! I have several things that I still use from our swap, although most of the food is gone almost before it gets a photo. Wouldn't want it to spoil.

Welcome Paula,

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9215274

Welcome to the group keysfins / Paula! We are glad your here!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9215316

liz i still have the wine you sent me :) they say the older the wine the better but affraid i might get older then the wine :(

sooz we can get the white grits , but i like the yellow grits best, but cannot find them here

. LK if you can get more pecan for me i sure will be happy to send you the postage & cost for them:)
well Nurse is here back later

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9215331

I can do that Susie, let me see what I can find, I will send you a big box!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9215378

oh cool thank you my buddy might get a treat from two states ;)

Nurse is gone but will be back later today so i'm off to get laundry done while daddy is laying down .back later
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9215410

Hi Susan,

Could you add me to this exchange?

Thanks!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9216024

Sure thing. Welcome Kerrie!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9217641

Oh Fruity, you tried to pull me into this one last year.

Now that things have settled down a bit around here, sign me up! Food/beverage items specific to Austin are easy peasy to come up with!!!! I just need to know alcoholic preferences for any potential swap buddies! ;)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9217765

Just a word of caution to those mailing wine or any alcohol, don't tell the post office, tell them it is bubble bath, or just tell them it is fragile.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9218141

LK, we live in Texas - that be BBQ sauce!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9218153

:-)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9218514

LOL Carey, does Jack Daniels BBQ sauce count? It's so good slathered on ribs and chicken.

The only 'legal' way for an individual to mail alcoholic beverages is through UPS, although I'm not going to snitch. Just sayin' as our Manda coined that phrase. Where are you Manda? Working hard or out joy riding with the top down?

If you do not want Wine or a Brewsky included in your package, speak up and I'll add an appropriate note next to your name near the top of the page.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9218655

Fruity I LOVE that flag!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9218764

Me too along with the small matching one that hung at our mailbox, If you're reading Michelle, the flag is a beach scene with a chair, am umbrella and a palm tree with a caption that says, "It's Five O'clock Somewhere." The pic is from June when both flags were hung to welcome my friend and our zany mail lady back to her route after a year's medical leave. It's so much fun seeing her again almost every day!

Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9218791

I am starting to collect now. I am pretty new to this area but have found some awesome things.

@ FOTV you meant the car top, right? LOL
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9218834

You'll do fine, Kerrie. NC is famous for a lot of foods, but you can keep the tomato based pork BBQ. I'd much rather have SC's that's Hickory smoked and laced with mustard.

Oh yeah on the car top. Can't imagine you had another one in mind...LOL

Edited to say I've started to collect VA goodies...hope somebody here likes PEAnuts.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2012 9:39 PM
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9219042

Hey just wanted to be clear on that =P
I don't love the BBQ here give Kansas CIty style , or Texas style any day. I will eat it here but I don't love it , I especially do not love SC style blah... LOL
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9219113

omg you girls and BBQ sauce im starving! lol

fruity, what did you girls do to get kicked out I've been giggling on that.

linda kay how are you feeling?

deejay, no chocolate, would that have been your dad? he's so cute

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9219123

And here I am sick of BBQ. We laugh all the time because if someone wants to open a restaurant around here it is either BBQ or Mexican. Our town is small, 2A school, and we have 10 restaurants, not counting Mickey D's. 4 are BBQ, 4 are Mexican, 1 is a terrible Chinese, 1 is a tea room.

Always have things for folks, shame I can 't ship my cheeses. I am struggling to get Cajeta right, it is a caramel sauce made with goat's milk. For some reason it is out of my skill set. Hope to get it right before swap time because it is wonderful.

Are we early? Seems like I sent pecans to my buddy the first and second ones but they won't be dropping for a while.

What about shirt sizes? I, for one, would drown in an XL, prefer medium if Hanes type.

Dave is drinking my local wines as fast as I buy them, looks like I will need to hide a bottle or two for this swap.

Joy
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9219129

joy yep you sent me a pecan praline that was to die for yumm
give dave a spanking lol.

good idea on shirt sizes i prefer a xl ,tee or tank
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9219153

rouxcrew funny how no one wants to just cook regular food anymore. Just plain ole something with mashed potatoes and gravy. Hate being disappointed if i paid for something I could have done better at home =(

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9219204

Chicory, do they have vinegar based BBQ sauce where your at? Hubby has been looking for some, and they don't sell it here.

Liz, I am doing fine, thanks. We found out yesterday the Acadia is totaled, and we are now waiting on the claims office to tell us how much we get for a new car. After they pay off the Acadia, I guess we get what's left? Anyone here work in auto insurance?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9219299

Chicory, I truly love old fashioned diner food done well. I cannot abide eating out and being served instant mashed potatoes or canned green beans. I enjoy food period, but if I am paying someone else to cook, I prefer it to be special in some way.

Coming from AL I truly miss my dad's vinegar based sauce. I will have to check with mom and see if she has his recipe. I have his red sauce recipe, nothing like TX sauce, and there are more margin notations than recipe. LOL

Joy
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9219468

Fruity,

As much as I LOVE this swap and have been looking forward to it, I am afraid I will need to withdraw. Hopefully I can be in the next one.

I have been sick since I took the DGD's home on July 15th. They had been here since the 4th and I hated to see them go. :-( Hope to get another few days with them before school starts, but I get well first. Started out as a sinus infection, and I can usually get rid of them. But then I started coughing and finally went to the Dr. Tuesday. Along with the sinus', I have bronchitis. I'm suppose take it easy and not be where there is dirt blowing, paint fumes, etc. type irritants. I still don't feel well and am really weak. I go out to water my plants, but that is about all I can do.

We've had 18 100+ days so far. Today we are breaking a 9 day streak with 98 and a slight chance of storms. Please pray for us that we get some. The next 6 days forecast is for 100+ again. UGH! We are in severe drought here. Pray that we get a nice soaking rain out of this. Suppose to be here about 2 or 3. DH has been watering the back yard so it doesn't end up brown and crunchy like last year. The front yard is already that way, but it is WAY TOO BIG to try and water it. Expensive too. He wants to have a nice green backyard so we can enjoy the new things he is building me.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9219496

We'll miss you Patti! Just take care of yourself. I've had bronchitis and it is NOT fun. Get some rest when you can and drink plenty of fluids.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9219526

THX carey, that is exactly what I'm doing. Don't even feel guilty taking afternoon naps. lol

I'm taking a handful of pills and using an inhaler. Thought I'd start feeling better by today but... not.. :-(
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9219963

@Taters 55 yes they have vinegar based BBQ here. I will see if anyone has a good one.
@Crit I hope you feel better =) Nothing worse than being sick in the summer time (or anytime really).
@ Joy I would pop a cork (and not a champagne cork) if I was served canned anything and instant anything nothing worse (unless someone canned it at home).

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 27, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9220436

Crit, I hope you are feeling better soon! That's so funny about BBQ, because we here in the North always want good TX BBQ:)
Hee hee..Too bad I can't send some good Chinese to youtoo:)
Have a good day!
Ali-C
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9220861

Hi, all.
Welcome, Paula and Kerrie!
Patti, sorry you can't join us this time, but I hope you get better soon! Will pray for rain for you, too.
Regarding shirt sizes, large is best for me.
A few dislikes: Please, no alcoholic beverages, hot spices, or olives.
A good smokey bbq sauce without hot spices sounds delicious!
Hey, Joy, that caramel sauce sounds wonderful! Might have to hide it from my husband or, at least ration it! LOL :)
I, too, have started collecting for my buddy.
Oh, and Fruity, thanks for the description of the flag... It does sound like a neat one :)
Michelle
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9221816

Thanks Garden Quail!
Joy, I used to raise goats and was on a message board where an older member made caramels and sauce from goat milk they were divine.
I used to have the recipe but lost in computer shuffle.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9221980

Room for one more Fruity?
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9222293

I am Ok with alcohol, like chocolate and... really there is not much I don't like, except black licorice. Hot and spicy is fine.
XL tshirts,

I think this swap is going to be fun I have some things in mind ;)

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9222717

Absolutely, Cris. Welcome aboard again!

I think the second block above with our participants is caught up with likes, dislikes, and T-Shirt sizes noted so far.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9222753

You new people to this swap will LOVE it!!! I hate that I cannot participate this year!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9222770

I have some things in mind but holding off purchasing until I know who my buddy is for sure. Austin itself is home to some great stuff.

It's a shame sweet potato fries just wouldn't transport well. :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9222800

or Texas Cowboys! lol (NOT the football team, the real deal)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9222810

We are a bit earlier than last year when we mailed in the Fall. The dance card for monthly swaps filled up quickly this year and just picked August way back when to fill a gap.

It would be difficult to mail a cured Virginia ham, too. I am not touching that line with a 10' pole about mailing taters :D

My goal is for each of us to send to someone in a different state. You Texas folks are leading the parade so far with the most participants.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9222894

I guess that Blue Bell ice cream would be out as well, oh well more for me.

joy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9222938

Joy if that is a BEN N JERRY"S ICE CREAM FLAVOR You Can always send a gift card :)))) MOST States have a BEN & JERRYS
send it through them :))))) HEHE Sounds very tasty I want to try some of your Jelly's some day :) & DO You Make tomalli's ???? If so
I want you as my partner :) hehe

well ya all have a great evening off to lay back GN

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 29, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9223071

Hey all! I love it all! My shirt size would be xxl...I love hot & spicy too:) Hope everyone has a great week!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9223106

Got your preferences added, Alicia.

Hubs goes through a 1/2 gallon of Neapolitan Ice Cream every three nights, spoon in hand eating out of the carton like a kid, and rarely gains a measly pound. If I ate that much ice cream, Katy Bar the Door.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 30, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9223446

Hi Everyone!
I just spoke to Deejay(Susie) her dad passed this morning. She asked me to let everyone know, and she wanted me to tell everyone she will be on when she can! I told her NO worries and that we would all be thinking and praying for her, and she (like she would) said she is thinking of all of us too!
Thanks everyone!
Ahoogstra

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9223532

Sorry to hear that! Thanks for letting us know! Sending lots of prayers to Susie! ((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9223801

Allergies to bananas, grapes & turkey. Don't like hot stuff or heavy spices.
Love chocolate, home-made stuff (crafts & baking).

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9223870

Patti, all Austin has are 'hipsters' - those skinny kids that are vegetarian and whine about everything. ;)

There is some great Austin original food items. Did y'all know that Schlotzky's Deli originate in Austin?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9224018

My sympathies are with you and your family, Susie. You are never far from our thoughts.

Cris, Are you in a baking class or group now? I've been the recipient of some of your baked goods in the past that were not only delicious but professional looking.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9224142

Hi everyone.. I'd like to get in on this one, if I may- I always love getting new foods to try out :)

Likes: BBQ sauce (hey, I was born and raised in TX-gotta love BBQ as much as you love Chili!), spicy foods, salty foods, would enjoy pasta noodles that are locally made, margaritas (Let's see someone send THAT through the mail!),

Dislikes: not much of anything, just no chocolate - I love dark choc, but think it might get a little nasty being sent through the mail right now.

I don't think I've told anyone yet - my son got the promotion to regional manager for Lowes - he's moved to Houston and is in the process of getting his family there. He'll have around 150 stores in his region, which includes SE TX, all of LA and Mississippi. He's already told me that there's a plane ticket waiting for me when I want to come down to visit him :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9224296

How exciting for your son and what a big feather in his cap! Can he issue a discount at our local Lowe's...lol...just kidding. Take him up on his offer for a ticket when he gets settled. No telling what you'll get into in Houston or the fellow DG'ers in the area you have an opportunity to meet :)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9224319

Susie {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} You know we're all here for you.

Congrats to your son Chris! When you visit your son, make sure you plan a day trip to Austin! :D

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9224373

We will give you a grand tour of our little state via DG'er's Chris. Let us know and we will put out the welcome mat.

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9224383

Congrats to your son Chris!
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9224849

Sorry to hear about Susie's dad.
@Chris very nice to hear of your son's job. Feels good when our kids succeed.

I am going to start collecting some things this week. I wish I could send some peaches.
It has been very pleasant today low 80's but it will be disappearing tomorrow and back into the mid 90's again...
Have a great day everyone.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 31, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9225175

Congrats Chris's Son! That's awesome! I am getting very excited! Wanted to let you know...I love wine too:) Chocolate..you know..all the good stuff:) Oh I am having so much fun getting to know other gardeners,and swapping fun stuff! Have a good evening!
Ahoogstra
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9225439

((((((SUSIE)))))) and prayers for you and your family and friends. Don't worry about us, we'll hold down the fort until you are able to return.

Nothing but HOT here. 111* today. Here is our forecast for the week. I don't count much on that 20% chance of rain. We had a 60% chance of rain a week ago but they were only calling for .2 to .5" of rain.. Ya right. Of course, we got nothing.

Thumbnail by Crit

Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9225544

Chris, congrats to your son. You must be so proud ! Thats quite a responsibility
for him. I'm sure if you ask the Texas group, he might get a garden out of the
move :)

Fruity,
I actually teach how to decorate cakes & cookies. Got a few new recipes already
for this years Christmas plates. So of course I'll include them for my swap
partner.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9225616

Patti, your weather sounds like ours did last year. We're hitting the 100s here now, but it thankfully doesn't feel anything like last year - and there's actually green stuff in the back yard.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9225729

Patti, I feel for you. Like Carey we aren't nearly as bad as last year and I am not complaining. What is that green stuff???? I actually had to buy a mower, haven't needed one in 4 years.

Whoop! Made a batch of Cajeta successfully last night. It is a luscious caramel sauce for those who don't know. Now to be able to repeat the process and can it.

Joy

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9225731

susie, so sorry for your loss thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

patti, wow! bet your living in the pool thats hot
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9225891

Hi I have mulled over joining and I can't stand it any more, I would love to join the swap. I have received some fun things from this swap in the past.

Here is some info on me and still is true.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1157183/#top
Post #8358637

I have dogs, cats, small koi pond, and new additions are ducks and chickens. Still not sure why we have ducks and chickens but we do...rofl.

We are in the middle of a horrible drought and topping the record for days over 100, but there are clouds on the horizon, YES! I hope my plants have gone dormant and not dead. We are on a well so watering needs to be limited, not that we have ever had any problems, but since we don't know when this will end I am very cautious.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9226010

Joy...Ohhhhh, I'd love to try that cajetas and buy a vat if you can replicate!!! I looooove caramel sauce! (and if you need some hay, we haven't mowed our backyard in faaaaar too long)

Joyce, you know you have the chickens and ducks for eggs and entertainment value. Good luck on those clouds! And 'happ'y you're joining us!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9226131

Congrats on your success, Joy.

Wondered where you were, happ, and was beginning to think you were wading with the fowl :)

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9226197

I probably am a little fowl or what was that someone said Miss-Happ...rofl.
I have been on vacation for a week and going crazy the week before getting ready for vacation and now trying to catch up from vacation...rofl. But I will say it was well worth it.

Those chickens and ducks better lay golden eggs.LOL...but so far nothing. I am about to decide we have all roosters, now wouldn't that just be the luck. They are quite entertaining but I might have been able to go to Hawaii if I figured the costs up. Lets see fowl, Hawaii, fowl, Hawaii.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9226216

Happgarden, I feel your pain with the drought . We used to live near KC. I was working at Powell Gardens at the time. The irrigation pond there went dry and we could not water. It looked bad, we were carrying buckets from the lake to keep some of our more important plants alive. I was so glad when summer was over...
My parents still live there.
I hope you get some relief soon.

Kerrie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9226618

Kerrie you are a long way from home...lol
I left kc and also moved to nc but slowly made my way back here. I came back from texas and remember sitting at a stop light in my Mg convertible and it was snowing and cold and windy and I thought what have I done...rofl.
When you come back let me know and we can meet for lunch or something.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9226671

Sorry, I am going to have to put off any swaps for awhile.. don't want to go into explaining it.. love you all..

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9226680

DEBRA {{{{{HUGS}}}}} No explanation needed, You take care of things and hurry back to us soon.
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9226929

Sorry Debra, I hope it is something that will and can be worked out easily.
@ HappGarden long way from home. LOL Well I bet it was 70 when you first put the top down on that MG. MO has the craziest weather.
I'll be back in October my nephew is getting married (finally). Maybe I can swing a get together then.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9226946

Won't be long and we will have names...drum roll...LOL

Kerrie it would be fun to meet up with someone from DG. I have been to a couple of roundups here and met for lunch one day another DG member that was from Dalls, her daughter was going to school at umkc.
I live north of the city but work down by union station and have family in Independence out by Blue Springs so I am all over the city all the time. Sometimes I feel like I live in my car.

I think I got rain today, fingers crossed, we need it desperately.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9227115

Did you know that chicken will not lay eggs in this high heat?
A few articles, that tell you about heat and chickens.
http://www.chickenkeepingsecrets.com/keeping-chickens/does-high-temperature-affect-egg-production/

http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-care/chapter-7-caring-for-chickens.aspx
Chicory31
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9227193

@ Happgarden, My Mom and Dad live in Holden, my brother and his fam are in Independence. My nephew lives up north . We have friends in Lee's Summit.

Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9227471

For years I have had a feral cat colony but our yard is an equal opportunity
land, shared with deer, bunnies, possums, skunks & typically whatever
else wanders in.
We're in an area where people "drop off" unwanted animals too.
However, we had this guy here come to our patio and didn't want to
leave. After 4 days of calls, visits & posters I called the Animal Control
Officer. He thought it was a "fine looking chicken" and since he already has
some he's keeping it for himself !!

Thumbnail by Cris316

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9227513

(((Debra))) Ditto what Carey said!

Joyce & Kerrie, is this a small World or what? Really hope it'll work out in the Fall for ya'll to get together.

That a great ending, Cris. We live in an area where people dump animals at the dumpsters (sound familiar to some of you?), despite the large signs posted on each one that it's illegal to do so. Now we, and several others in the neighborhood, have been adopted by a Walker hound dog. She mostly hangs out here. Meet Jill, not a year old yet and just treed her first squirrel today, at least the first one we know of. Hubs used to raise hunting dogs and is in Heaven...lol

Yep, at the strike of Midnight tomorrow, sign-up's will end. Buddy names will be D-mailed over the week-end. If there are any lurkers who'd like to join us, know this is a friendly bunch and there's always room for more participants. keysfins / Paula, I hope you're still with us.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9228007

Kerrie, that is too funny. How long did you live here? I basically grew up in Independence. We lived just outside of Englewood off of Winner Road and use to go to the old Englewood theatre. We moved to Independence when I was in 6th grade and then I left right after graduation.

LindaKay I guess I never need to worry about eggs, cause I also heard they don't lay too much in winter...poured down in KC proper, but not out in country. How can that keep happening, my poor hostas are crispy critters geehz.

Chris I have had alot of things dropped at my house and alot of things visit since I am in the country, but I have never had a chicken show up...too funny. You will enjoy this I go out in my pjs to turn the water off for the water garden and on the ledge is the biggest bull frog I have ever seen! Well I know they eat fish and heavens he was about big enough to eat a shark let alone my little koi, so I netted him took him in the house and had DH drive me to the lake to drop off the frog...rofl, now this is all taking place about midnight Wednesday night. Proably a good thing the game warden didn't stop by...rofl. I can see it now me in my pj's with a very unhappy DH at the police station...rofl, our little city would of loved that one.

Oh fruity how neat to get a Walker hound dog, I bet hubby is having a ball. My parents had friends who had a big old hound and as a kid I loved that dog he was all wrinkley, sad, and really laid back.

Tick tick tick...don't miss this swap it is always good.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9228788

Happ,

Love your bullfrog story - partly cause I can well imagine driving in PJ's for a
midnight run. Curious as to how the bull frog got to your home in the first
place if you're not close to a body of water.

Found this link and hoping it might be helpful to others. http://www.foodtimeline.org/statefoods.html
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9228977

I happen to love all foods, but I'm allergic to bananas and avocados. I'm not much of a beer drinker, although dh is. My shirt size is 3X Tina
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9229074

Cris I have wondered that same thing where the bull frogs are coming from. I know the fields around us are not flat and so in a normal year where they are terraced to stop run off there will be water there in some of them and then probably about a 1/2 an acre away (hard to measure across a field) there is a small creek that leads to a lake which is a good 2000 ft away so maybe they are coming from those two spots. That is alot of hopping tho even for a big frog. I wouldn't want to walk to any of those places in this heat and how do they know I have this little tiny water garden?

Guess I could of sent him to someone in this swap...rofl. Darn if I would of only thought of that earlier. ;)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9229419

Hey Everyone! happ, I'd like to be a fly on your wall. You have the most fun. Just got back from a sweaty day at the big Flea Market. My big whoop was finding a leather collar for Jill.

OK, The big drum roll is over and each of you should have just received your buddy's name. Please keep 'em a secret until you receive!
I'll make a Reveal page when my mouse stops giving me fits. Oh, and remember to also check your bud's likes / dislikes as you shop or prepare your own foods.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9229580

Our continued chat and Reveal page is ready!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273956/

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9229746

Oh pooh, I never supplied likes or dislikes!

I will eat or drink just about anything. Shoes sz 8, shirt sz Small :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9230272

Hello ladies. Well, we are getting a little break in the weather. Sure will be better than the one hundred teens we've been having. This is our forecast for the week. It's only 82* here now but the humidity is 66%! Got a drizzle of rain last night. Did you hear about the fires in Oklahoma? They started mandatory evacuation of a town (Mannford, OK) about 4 yesterday afternoon. Mannford is about 10 miles from me, less as the crow flies. Had me kinda worried there. I took some mini blinds and made tags to put around my horses necks with their name, my name and phone number. If the fires got to us, I was just going to open the pasture and let them find safety on their own. Hopefully I would get them back, but even if I didn't I would know they didn't burn to death in the fire. I've already lost one house to a fire, sure didn't want to lose another one. It is the worst thing that can happen to someone. At least with tornados, floods, etc., you can usually salvage some things, not with a fire! Here's a picture of the smoke in the air, and the sun about 7 p.m. It was dark as dusk, just 2 hours early. lol And the sun was a bright red circle in the sky. Pic doesn't do it justice.

I too have entered the world of chickens. A guy gave me 4 of them, long story about them, but I lost all of them. I bought 3 5 month old Pullets, that should start laying this month. The others continued to lay for me even with the temperatures. I read up a lot about them, and what I read was that they would continue to cycle and lay eggs regardless of the temperature. They 'cycle' every 22-26 hours, depending upon the breed, until they get too old. Just like a woman cycles every 28 days, more or less. DH is building me the Hotel Chick Chick so I have a pen to put them in so I don't lose them like I did the others. I am also keeping them in my fenced backyard instead of the pasture. I have a cage I put them in for the night. Was worried about my dogs but I have yelled at them enough to leave the chickens alone, that they are now giving them a wide berth. I have a Rhode Island Red I call Sweetie. Can't catch her yet when she is loose in the yard, but can pick her up out of the cage and she doesn't fight me. She sets quietly and coo's when I hold her, pet her and talk to her. Then I have another RIR cross that has silver on her feathers on her back and tail. I call her Purdy because she is so pretty. The 3rd one is a Cinnamon Queen I call Queenie. She is suppose to have long arching tail feathers, but hers have not developed like they are suppose to. Maybe they will yet.

I'm watching my little 18 1/2 year old Rat Terrier, Pistol. She has been throwing up since yesterday. Just a little bit at a time and it was clear. This morning she wouldn't eat her breakfast, just drank water then threw it up. Every time she drank she threw it back up, so I took her water bowl up. She is blind and keeps going to the spot where it usually is. I put an empty bowl there so she would stop looking. Now she is pooping and puking blood. I've given her Pepto Bismal and she is resting beside me. I may go to town and get some Pediolite to see if she can keep that down. She (all the dogs have) has been eating dead locust she finds in the yard. I don't know if something she ate has made her sick, or if things are shutting down and I'm going to lose her. Either way, I'll do what I can to keep her comfortable.

More threads to read. Everyone have a good day!

Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9230293

Scroll up Crit, we have a new room!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9230340

Oh shoot. lol I started this last night and finished it this morning. I was afraid of that. :-)
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

August 18, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9245902

Oh - I missed it! Maybe next year. It was a good swap last year, so I'll just have to start looking a little early (I've just been busy in the garden). I hope everyone has a great swap and I'll see you next time. :)

Mandy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9246074

Follow the link above to see what is exchanged this year :)
Michelle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America