Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Landscaping: Building shallow steps from pavers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 2, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 10, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9200065

I've got a LOT of paver blocks set without morter but on top of fine gravel as the floor of dogkennels. LOVE them. Simple to do, inexpensive, and I can do it with or without help.

Now I'm going to block in a very shallow "ramp" of dirt and turn it into shallow steps. The area is 6'x40' and drops about 4 feet total. And I'm doing steps instead of an incline so I don't slip -- like I did on the icy gravel last winter.

I've never built steps. And I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around a couple of concepts.

1) If I follow the contour of the existing plane (which seems simplest), then I'll have uneven steps. But I'm thinking there will only be 6 steps total, and they will be fairly wide, so it may not matter.

2) The top of the steps are against the house, so that doesn't move. Before I've always just started at the bottom of the paver project, fixed an edge aproximately where I want it, started laying block, and when I had as much as I wanted, I'd finish the edge. It's worked before with the kennel but this needs to be more precise. Or maybe I'm borrowing trouble and I could just end as close to the basement concrete block wall as possible and fill in the rest with quickcrete or pieces or something else...?

3) The step up itself can be bigger blocks or I could use crossties to change elevation. The crossties are simple and once in place WILL NOT WIGGLE when I'm done with them. Bigger blocks will be pieces and may shift a little and may be harder to get a consistent edge.

Anyone built this kind of hardscaping? Any pictures of similar projects? Any suggestions? Thanks.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 30, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9223497

Books in the Library or book store will show you how, what you need and the proper hight of each tread to prevent accidents, too low a riser can cause falls, people to miss there footing and there are safety issues for such, I know you are talking about private garden or kennels etc, but believe me, there is always someone who can cause problems for you and maybe cost so all you need os the know-how how to build the steps AND make them safe at NO extral cost.Also google how to ???? and there may be the info you need.
Good luck. WeeNel.
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 30, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9223731

Thanks for the reply, Nel!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America