Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Snow peas

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 10, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9200122

When are snow peas considered "done" for the season? The plants are getting a little pale and not blooming as well as they once were. Since I garden in a very small area, I'm considering cutting them down to give tomatoes and squash a little more room. It has been hot and dry here (although I do provide supplemental water) so don't know if I should keep the peas going or not.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9200412

I pulled mine last week. It's just too hot for them. Probably time for you to do the same. It got so hot so fast this year I barely got any peas at all. I'm planning on a Fall crop. Hopefully I can get some peas this year.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 11, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9201476

sweetie - thanks so much for the advice! I did pull them yesterday. The pods were getting smaller and smaller. DD (an experienced vegetable gardener unlike me) says they usually don't produce past mid-summer. With the heat, I was surprised that they made it this far since I had heard/read that they're cool season crops. When did you plant yours in the spring? I planted on 4/2 but didn't know if that was the right time for our area. I think you're just a tad warmer than me. And you're planning a fall crop? Will they have time to produce before it gets too cold?
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9201509

4/2 huh? I'm surprised they made this long. Good Job!!!! I got mine in late because my gardens weren't prepped. I am probably cooler than you, we are Northern Il. near Chicago. Truth is I could have put my peas in in March because we had such a warm Winter! They are usually the first thing in the ground. Mine didn't go in until May and by then it was getting hot. They pretty much burnt up before I could get any kind of substantial harvest. They yield so little anyway.

I have never tried a Fall crop, but I am thinking late August might be the time to put them in. I'll see though it might still be 100 degrees. I am gonna try a new variety that promises higher yields. It is an heirloom English shell pea I am getting from Seed Savers Exchange called green arrow! Hope I'm not disappointed!

I love garden peas and can barely keep the kids out of them in the Spring, but I am always disappointed with the amount of space I need to get 1 pot full of peas. I will never have enough to freeze/can/share like I can with other veg *shrug*. But I keep trying. I love peas! :)
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 11, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9201675

If you're in the town of Kankakee, I know where you're at. I'm up closer to the lake, about 30 miles east and slightly south of Chicago, just south of Gary. Since you're a little farther southwest of me, I figured you'd be just slightly warmer. I waaaay over-planted in a tiny space and they were a pretty tangled mess. I didn't think they'd grow to be 5+ ft. I never had a pot full of peas at one time so I used them in stir fries or with green beans. I don't think many gardeners ever have enough peas. :)
Frank65
Hallowell, ME

July 12, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9202717

I planted mine in April as soon as the ground was workable and pulled them up the end of June after a bumper crop!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

July 12, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9203138

Good to know, Frank. I wasn't too far off track for a newbie then. I think it just got too hot here for them to do much even though I never let them wilt.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America