Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Penstemon

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dtreski
Westmont, IL

July 10, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9200209

I bought new penstemon plants and they have not bloomed so far. Is it too late this season to bloom? my soil is mostly sandy. I planted them Memorial Day weekend.
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
2:39 AM

Post #9240854

I had rocky mountain penstemon in the past and it behaved like a biennial and did not bloom until the second year.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9241056

Many perennials won't bloom the first year that you plant them--they need time to get their roots going first. Sometimes they'll get their roots going quickly and bloom the first year but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until next year.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9241113

It is likely that potted purchased penstemons (ooh, alliteration ;-)) already bloomed before they were purchased - you may see cutoff flower stems if you look closely. They should bloom next year. In my experience, plants sold commercially are normally of blooming size, however, it is true that seedlings of perennials usually take until the second year to bloom.

N.B. To say a plant behaves like a biennial implies it dies after it flowers in its second year - I hope that didn't happen with yours, MiniPonyFarmer! What penstemons require, mainly, is good drainage and no excess of moisture or humidity. The genus overall has gotten the reputation of being short-lived, falsely, due to lack of understanding of these requirements.
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9241752

altagardener,
Actually yes, mine did die after the year they bloomed. This did not happen once, but twice with the penstemon strictus. Also I have had this happen with penstemon barbatus once. I do not feel that they are long lived, at any rate.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 15, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9242532

No, it sounds like they are obviously not long-lived in your area without special conditions created for them. Here, a very large number of species can be grown easily and successfully with individual plants being long-lived. Poor drainage, high humidity and high rainfall are usually the culprits when penstemons are hard to grow in an area.

Edited to add: If you have access to it, Robert Nold's Penstemons is an excellent reference that gives a great deal of insight into the conditions that penstemons experience in their native habitats, which is what one needs to consider for growing them in the garden.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2012 1:16 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America