AuthorContent

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9200283

Many people enjoy Christmas too much to have it just once a year. Who doesn't like presents? We have discussed the idea of Christmas in July and now I am stepping off the precipice again to see if there is enough interest to warrant this swap.

Each package should contain at least one Christmas item: decoration, ornament, linen, plant, food, etc. If you don't like or can't have something, please let us know. If you collect or prefer something, speak up. There are no guarantees but likes and dislikes often help our partner make a good match.

Value of your package should be ~$20 before postage. Be sure and use plenty of protective and cushioning fillers to keep your partner's items intact. Use priority mailing and get a confirmation number so that you can track the progress of your package. People who are new to DG are welcome, make sure that I have your address and contact info (dmail it to me) Never post the confirmation number to the list, send it to me privately.

Everyone is expected to post pictures, descriptions and a thank you to the list. It is a courtesy to the sender and a chance for all participants to ooh and ahh over your presents.

We will sign up till midnight July 31 (keeping with our theme) and all packages need to be mailed by August 21. If you are going on vacation, please arrange to have your package sent before you leave.

Look forward to having a fun time.

FruitOfTheVine Susan

Garden Quail Michelle Received from Susan
Rouxcrew Joy Received from Crystal
goldhillal Crystal Received from Alicia
Taters55 Linda Kay Received from Joy
ahoogstra Alicia Received from Michelle

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 4:10 PM

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 7:06 PM

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9200307

Add my name please?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9200949

Great pic, Joy. That fellow ought to be mighty Jolly :)

I'll play. For ideas, ya'll know I'm a glass hound and also have a penchant for primitives including metal & wooden ornaments, earthly and spice scented candles (or Scentsy blocks) for Winter Holidays, flags both small and large, and think the scents that remind me most of Christmas are citrus, cloves, cinnamon, and sage. Sage also encompasses a lot of plants in the Mint Family that I can't seem to get enough of.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9204271

Joy, I'd join in, too. Sounds fun :)
Michelle

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 15, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9205706

I would LOVE to join!
Thanks!
Alicia

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

July 15, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9205817

Great Idea! Let me in!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9206369

While in Charlottesville last week, I picked up a really cool ornament for my bud at the gift shop at Monticello. Did I get one for our tree too? You bet.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 16, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9207556

Oh I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!I just picked up my Christmas in July swap gift!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY EXCITED! Have a great day everyone!
AHoogstra
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9210723

As much as I WANT TO... I'm not going to be able to do this swap this year. I'm having to cut back on my swaps. I will probably lurk around to see what everyone is getting though! :-)
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9210936

Hi, all.
Cool... more people joining in! Welcome! :)
Crit, sorry you can't join in on the swapping (I certainly understand needing to cut back), but glad you can hang out with us and see what everyone receives :)
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9220882

Hi, all.
Anyone else want to join us? July 31st is just around the corner, so we should be getting our buddy's name soon!
A note to my buddy:
Please no alcoholic beverages, hot spices, or olives. Otherwise, I like most foods :) I can think of all kinds of Christmas goodies that would be quite yummy to receive :)
My husband and I have been exchanging ornaments since before we were married. We began by exchanging wooden ornaments, but nice three-dimensional wooden ornaments became hard to find. So we've had to expand our collection to those made of other materials. Since I'm blind, I especially like ornaments that are three-dimensional that I can identify by feel rather than the flat ones with pictures. We've found some really neat ones over the years :)
My planting space is limited (I do most of my gardening in containers), but I love growing things. Sadly, my plants are not so happy with me lately as I haven't had a chance to water them for far too long :( Hopefully, I won't lose too much...
Well, much to get done this evening, so I better go. Have a great week, everyone!
Michelle

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

August 3, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9227926

Did I miss something or has this swap been called off???? I thought we were to get our names July 31st. or Aug 1

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9227933

Nope, life intervened, sorry. It will be an intimate little swap among friends which will be more fun.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9228078

Thanks for the name, Joy! Very excited about this one.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9228091

I got my name too! :-)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9228123

Got my name too!!!!! ROFLMAO
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9229653

Hi, all.
Got my name, too :)
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9229743

LOL Joy! Imagine that :)

My Buddy's goodies are gathered. Just need to add a few finishing touches before mailing next week. Having Christmas in July makes me thankful ribbons and tissue paper are at the ready, instead of being stored way back in the corner of our garage among the bins of Christmas stuff.

We met a couple today who recently moved from Alaska to Virginia, talk about a climate and culture shock, and both were wishing so badly for snow. Who wouldn't with such high temps almost everywhere in the Country? We can always put on more layers of clothes, but there's only so many we can take off 0:)

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9231077

Hi, all.
Alaska to Virginia... That IS quite a climate change!
Personally, I seem to adjust better to heat than I do to cold. Need a bit of transition time to get used to the heat, though. But, even I have my limits :)
Must say, I got used to the hot weather while we were camping. When we got home, back to the bay area, it was much cooler. I missed the heat :) But, it's warming back up again, a bit at a time. Supposed to be quite warm again for this area by the end of the week.
Well, everyone have a great week!
Michelle

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

August 7, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9232665

My buddy's package went out yesterday!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9233509

The sleigh picked up my Buddy's package this morning. Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRzhd3eUyO8

What is your favorite Christmas song, Carol or Hymn? Can you really just pick one?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9233538

My favorite recording is the acapella (sp) version of "Silent Night" by Boyz2Men several years ago. It gives me shivers. Fun song is Bruce Springsteen and his band doing "Santa Claus is Coming To Town". They get tickled and it is perfect.
Most beautiful in general is "Oh Holy Night" or "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear".

Man I need to step up my game, I haven't even taped my box into shape yet.

Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
12:17 AM

Post #9233819

Hi, all.
Joy, you're not the only one... I have some ideas, but will have to see what I can find :)
Michelle

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

August 8, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9233968

I have so many favorite Christmas songs/hymns I can only pick one of the moment.
Beautiful Star of Bethlehem by the Chuck Wagon Gang is way up at the top.
White Christmas is another.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 8, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9234494

My box is on it's way to my buddy! It should arrive Sat:)
Thanks everyone!
Ahoogstra

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9234687

Gotta stop watching the olympics and put mine in a box. Y'all restore my faith in people.

Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9235160

Hi, all.
Haven't really watched much of the Olympics this year. We watched quite a bit last time, though. Go USA :)
Michelle

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9235870

Whoop! Got my box today from Crystal! Haven't even opened it yet, just got back from the PO. Dang it's big and heavy. Will let y'all know what I got soon, gottat run outside and put a drip on my persimmon tree, looking peaked.

Joy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9236095

Oh wow, we can hardly wait to see what Crystal sent you, Joy. What do you make with your persimmons...jam, jelly? About 100 years ago, one of our neighbors had a huge old tree and every year she was really good tricking us kids into tasting the fruits before they were ripe. Can you say pucker up?!

My Buddy's box was delivered today too.

Now the fun begins seeing what you early birds received :)

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9236110

Ooo. I'm just lurking but I hope you do this again next July! I work for Cracker Barrel as my 2nd job & Christmas starts in August there. I love it though it's so sparkly & little kids get all excited so it's pretty awesome.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9236146

Big kids love Cracker Barrel too! We will have a 'regular' Christmas swap open for sign-ups sometime in November. I'll be glad to D-mail you when I post the interest thread. There is also a running list of swaps found here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1267025/

If you'd like to add plants to your gardens, deejay9 hosts monthly plant swaps from April through September.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9236158

Glad to have you lurking hartzell, we will have this one again next year and would love to have you join us.

Joy
Yes, I've looked, no I haven't taken pics yet. Y'all will just have to wait a bit till after chores.
Oh, and I make conserves with my persimmons. My young tree doesn't produce much right now and even though I am fortunate to have an old native persimmon tree, the fruit isn't much bigger than the seeds so it takes a whole bunch to make anything.

Warning: Major Cute Alert! Two of our new recruits, Peaches and Ellie, who may be going to another DG'er's home when they get a little older and learn the ropes of livestock guarding.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9236226

Sweet LGD's! Who's who and how did you decide on their names? Ya know there's always a method to your madness when it comes to naming new critters.

Round-Up, our only fertile Mama cat, and her four kittens that were born on or about St. Patrick's Day, have found a new home on a farm out in the country and will say my good-byes to them tomorrow after I drop Mickey off for his grooming appointment. She's leaving five other kittens that are just a month old but she abandoned nursing them a week ago and they're eating and drinking on their own. Their eyes opened within a week after they were born, no kidding, and have never seen kittens mature as quickly as these have. Round Two adoptions begin soon!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9236234

Fruitofthevine:
That would be awesome if you'd remind me. I am awful @ remembering things like that. :) I remember to send just forget when sign ups are.

I swear I spend half my paycheck in the retail store. They knew what they were doing when they decided to give their employees a discount.

I saw that there's a halloween swap when I checked out the swaps schedule & our displays are *awesome* this year so I'm def going to be joining in on that one too. Obviously I'll be doing my shopping @ work. LOL.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9236290

They are from Ice Age 2, Manny's wife and daughter. Peaches has wire hair and Ellie has light colored eyes. She is on the left. Her name may change because I don't like it that much. Need to look up Despicable Me and Ice Age 3 to see if I can find something a bit better for her.
Did I show you Boo, who is to replace Lucy on goats? She is from Monsters, Inc. the little girl who wasn't afraid of the monsters.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9236292

Please show us Boo? I would love to see her.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9236306

Look LK, they are right here on my phone! See them??? I will need to download them to my computer in the morning.

Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2012
12:55 AM

Post #9236377

Hi, all.
Welcome, Hartzell81!
Fruity sent me a box that jingles! :) Had fun opening it and discovering all of the lovely things inside! She sent me the following:
A pair of predominately red Christmas Socks that have a Reindeer wearing a scarf decorated with Christmas lights. (Yay, they fit, too! I'll have to wear them with my snowman sweatshirt when the weather gets cold.)
An old-fashioned ornament made mostly of Cinnamon sticks and Sage leaves that's finished with a medal medallion at the bottom that has a raised Heart. (It has a tiny vial of Cinnamon oil to keep it refreshed, and it smells wonderful!)
4 woven Placemats with Poinsettias and Holly that say "Christmas Greetings" (My husband says they look really nice; they feel nice, too).
A golden-colored tactile Pineapple Ornament from Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home. (There are little tiny holes in this metal ornament. I bet when it's on the Christmas tree, the light will shine through the holes and look really pretty! The card attached to it says that the pineapple is a symbol of hospitality. I've read this in crochet books, too, but haven't ever tried to crochet one yet.)
And a really neat jingle bell wreath; even the ribbon and holly on it are made with metal. (We're already contemplating where we want to put it for the holidays!)
Oh, and a pair of slipper socks that I'm wearing as I write this :)
Fruity has pictures that she'll post for me soon so you can all see these lovely gifts. Thanks, Fruity!
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9236486

You are very welcome, Michelle! Even the postman made a remark your box would 'jingle all the way'. Ho ho ho

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9236507

Michelle, your Christmas pressies are so wonderful! They are all so pretty and cheery!

Nice job Fruity!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9236936

Here's my great box from Crystal.
First of all who would have thought to send a cat? LOL Maizie got all excited when I unloaded the box. She loves the little red bird ornament, kept stealing it when I wasn't looking. I love the little green stockings on its feet.
A SL Christmas recipe book. For those who have never seen one of these, they are awesome. I haven't had one in years and I sat up for hours last night reading it. Already have marked several must try recipes.
Three lovely Christmas towels, one in each color.
A coffee can of those great pillow type mints that are just air and melt in your mouth. I haven't had those in ages and they are the only kind of peppermint I like. It is closed in the first picture, I leaned it over so you could see the mints in the second, minus a few of course.
A pretty red tablecloth with napkins that will fit my antique harvest table.
Homemade note pad with hyacinths on the cover, a flshy snowflake ornament and a set of tidbit bowls which are great for putting your spices in when you bake. That way you don't have to stop to measure.

Thanks so much Crystal, I really like it,

Joy

BTW, here is a quick photo of Boo, she won't stay still and wants to kiss the camera.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew   Thumbnail by rouxcrew   Thumbnail by rouxcrew

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9236949

Love those Christmas pressies! And Boo is adorable! How old is she?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9236958

Boo is just 6 months old and already quite a good guardian of her little herd of baby goats.

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9236963

Sounds like she is going to be quite the working dog!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9237159

Hi, all.
Joy, those presents sound neat, too! I'm guessing the towels are red, green, and... hmmm, what's the third color? :) What does the "SL" in "SL Christmas recipe book" stand for? Sounds like lots of fun picking out new recipes to try!
Michelle

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

August 10, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9237295

Glad you like the box, Joy.
Merry Christmas in Ju...er August!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9237306

Sorry Michelle, one towel was bright blue with snowmen on it, one was green with a toy loaded sleigh, and one was creamy white with a decorated Christmas tree. SL stands for Southern Living. Every year they do a cookbook which is a collection of their magazine recipes for the year, they also do a holiday entertaining one every year and this one is from 1996, back when I was not nearly the cook I am now. Now these recipes that sounded so hard back then look easy or easier. In fact I am already thinking how to twist the first one I am going to make so that it will appeal to my household a little more.

Joy

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

August 11, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9237953

Got my pkg from ahoogsta (Alicia) today! It's great! There's a votive candle holder with an angel and an elf and besides the candle in the holder, there are 3 refills. There is a red Canna bulb, some hand made package labels, and a set of Christmas cards, also handmade. Now I am all ready! Bring on the spirit(s)!

Thumbnail by goldhillal

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9238000

OMG, we are past the halfway point as of this Monday when my package should be delivered. You guys are the best! Thanks

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 11, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9238388

Hey everyone!
I am so glad you liked your gifts Crystal! Merry Christmas:)
Alicia
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9238489

Those cards and tags are so pretty.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 12, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9238712

Fruity...I am sure I can make you some too! After all you are my very first swap buddy:) I would LOVE too! Gives me an excuse to stamp too!
Alicia

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9240207

Attention please? I got my box today! I could not figure out what the box was, but when I opened it, WOW, I was so surprised to see al the goodies from Joy/rouxcrew!
Well, let me post pictures of all my goodies, I got a wonderful Christmas birdhouse, a wooden set of snowmen, a papermache ornament of a sheep, A really nice and big coffee cup, a cute stuffed Santa face, and a jar of her home made caramel sauce! Thanks so much Joy, you have made my day!
Joy, what can I use the sauce on! It looks so yummy!

This message was edited Aug 13, 2012 2:29 PM

Thumbnail by taters55

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9240420

The cajeta (caramel sauce) is great on a lot of things but my favorite is fresh sliced apples. Or ice cream. Or pound cake. In coffee. On a spoon. It is addictive. And from my Nubian goats. Glad you like everything, I had a time trying to remember where I stashed stuff from the holidays when we first talked about having this swap.

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9240662

I do that all the time, I buy stuff, put it away, then forget about it! I will try the sauce on some ice cream soon. Going to the store tomorrow, so I will pick some up!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9240681

Ooooooo, I forgot Brownies!!!! OMG, brownies.

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9240693

Oh, your going to make me gain weight, just thinking of all the things I can put it on! :-)
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9241805

Hi, all.
Crystal, you're definitely ready for Christmas now! And that sounds like a neat candle holder. Are the candles scented? If so, what scent(s)?
LK, Sounds like some neat surprises! Oh, and I'll be right over to help you with that caramel sauce :) LOL
Have all my buddy's goodies together, well, almost. Just need to do some work on one of them :) Then off to the post office! Should be in the mail later this week.
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9241808

Ladies, let me tell you that the caramel sauce is YUMMY on ice cream! Thanks again for all the nice pressies!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9249168

My box went out today, and it should arrive on the 23rd! Please watch your front door, back door, where ever packages may be left!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9249281

Just checked, and the USPS says my buddy's package was delivered yesterday afternoon. Sorry for not giving you a heads-up, buddy! I do hope you received it all right.
Michelle

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 22, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9250130

I LOVE my box! Sooooo cute! A yummy pumpkin pie candle, cookie mix in a jar, a really cute felt ornament (to make), and a beautiful hand carved wooden ornament. Thank you so much GardenQuail! I really appreciate everything! It made me smile!
Thank you again!
Alicia

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9250132

Thanks Alicia, can you post a picture?

Joy

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

August 22, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9250133

I can as soon as I charge my camera:)
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9250735

Yay! Alicia got her box! Glad to hear everything made it to you all right. And I'm glad you like it all :)
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9250748

Michelle, I'm smiling too and am in awe of the fantastic boxes of goodies you've sent his week You rock, girlfriend!

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9252667

Long day taking Hubby to his regular dr appt. Then we ran a lot of errands on the way home.

LK, the pressies you picked for me are right up my alley! I'll keep everybody in suspense til I post photos and descriptions tomorrow.
Well maybe just one early reveal...

There are four different Santa motif placemats, so pretty and very nicely sewn. LK, did you make these?
Actually I received two shipments, a box yesterday and a padded envy today.

OK, no more divulging until the final reveal tomorrow. Kinda like the tradition we have of opening only one pressie on Christmas Eve, the giver's choice. Does anybody else do that? Growing up, we never opened any presents until Christmas Morning. One year when my Mother was with us, she suggested we each open one present on Christmas Eve. She's been gone several years but we carry on the tradition she started.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9252765

We were allowed one on Christmas Eve but it had to be from someone other than "Santa". But it still was fun and I continued the tradition. Now that my kids are grown we have Christmas when we can.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9252790

Glad to hear they made it! Yes, I made the placemats!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #9252890

Hi, all.
We always opened presents on Christmas morning as kids. But now, it depends on when family is able to get together.
Susan, the placemats that LK made for you sound neat. How very special :)
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9254588

Are you ready for my reveal? Here goes…..

A Christmas card that says “Greetings from Texas”
Four 3-D ornaments: one is a metal filigree ball, another is glass with Santa painting a scene complete with easel and pallette, one is a golden glittery object that looks similar to an open pinecone but is shaped the same on the top and bottom with a bulbous center. Perhaps my fav is a another glass one with Santa in the shape of a long teardrop and soft feathers trim around his green hat.
The bag of Hershey’s chocolate covered nuts has already been opened, but I’ve been good having only eaten two…so far.
The flour sack dishtowel (or maybe it’s muslin) is adorable with an embroidered Texas-style Snowman wearing a 10-Gallon Hat and Bandana and is holding a Lasso on one of his twig arms. The bottom says “Merry Christmas Y’all”. Can’t wait to hang the it on my oven handle during the Holidays…really love it!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine         

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9254592

Each of LK’s rectangular placemats has a square Santa motif in the center and green borders with golden curly-ques. The back of each one is coordinated with a deeper green fabric with small brown pinecones. These could really be used on the reverse side year-round, and I believe they're lighted batted. The four Old World Santas include one with children dressed in their finest giving Santa their lists. Another has lots of begging puppy dogs for the bone in Santa’s hand. One has toys, horns, and angels with big red ribbon bows intertwined. And lastly there’s the one with Santa holding a stuffed bear, as a nutcracker peeks out of a stocking hung on the mantle. Miscellaneous background images include lighted old-fashioned Christmas trees, candles and lamps burning, stockings hung, presents wrapped and I even spotted a White Poinsettia. All the things that make you think of a traditional Christmas!

A really nice job, LK, and will enjoy everything from year to year! Except the Chocolates :)

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9254716

Way to score Fruity!!!!!! Excellent job as always LK.

Looks like we finished in record time, I want to thank everyone for joining in and for being such good swappers. All packages were awesome!

Hope to see everyone next year,

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9254785

Fruity, I have to tell you my Hrandkids picked out those ornaments,,they had so much fun shopping with Grandma! Glad you liked it all!

Thanks for an awesome swap!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9254834

That makes them even more special, LK. My SIL has already booked her flight from Dallas for the Holidays and will visit us and her Mom in mid-December for a few days. We traditionally put our tree up in mid-December so that's perfect timing for her to help decorate it.

Joy, I had so much fun seeing what everyone received too and look forward to a repeat next year. Great idea, Girl!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9254835

Enjoy your visit!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9254853

Hi, all.
Definitely a fun swap! :)
Susan, those ornaments and placemats sound wonderful!
Michelle

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9255217

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277320/
Interest thread for the annual PJ and or night gown swap. Come and check it out!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America