-
AuthorContent
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9200298

hi all I have another little problem I need your advise with . My son ordered what we thought would be able to feed our bog filter spilling into a 1500 gallon pond . it is a beckett waterfall and stream pump that is supposed to handle 1172 gph which sounded fine but when it arrived the box said " 1172 gph and 1 foot lift " . the info on amazon didn't mention lift and I think it is 2-3 feet . the reviews on amazon seemed to say it could handle a much higher than 1 ft so we can't decide if we should try it or send it back . of course being an optimist I want to try it today cause I am excited to get the bog filter going . what do you think ?
laura

Thumbnail by laurawege
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9200328

Laura

According to what I read on this - you should see 1172 gph on this pump. This is including the 1 foot lift - or what I have heard commonly referred to as 'headspace'. What kind of fish do you plan on having? This will also contribute to your filtration needs. The more fish you have, the more filtration you will require in your pond.

You will want to turn over the volume of your pond at a minimum of once every two hours. More often than that is better.

Are you going to have the pump flow through a bog or run down your stream?

laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9200331

the pump will flow into the bog and spill out down a small stream into the pond
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9200351

we have 5 little gold fish right now and are rethinking the koi altogether as I have been reading about the impact they have on plants and pond health. I am not so sure we want them . originally we bought the little gold fish as sort of canaries in the mine shaft , they were sold as feeder fish and they can't believe their luck its like the governor called and pardoned them lol
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9200430

Laura - see how it goes. You should be fine if you don't have a lot of fish. Is there a drop from the stream into the pond?

Goldfish versus koi is a personal decision and there are pros and cons with either one of them.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9200465

hi, this is lauras son dave. thank you so much for your advice and quick responses- my main concern with the pump we have is that it might not have enough lift power. we purchased this Beckett pump my mom was asking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Beckett-7104710-Waterfall-Stream-1172gph/dp/B000MRSU4O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341946071&sr=8-4&keywords=beckett+pump

it seems kind of small to me, just as our pond is about 1200-1400 gallons, and from the surface of the pond water to where it will pump into the bog filter, it may be 2-3 feet of "headspace". the bog is about 4'x5' and will have a spillway to the small stream, and there is a small drop from the stream into the pond. were working on that part as well :) but the other pump i was considering is this Laguna model:

http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Max-Flo-Electronic-Waterfall-Filter/dp/B000HAQPPC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1341946313&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=laguna+max-flo+1500

im just concerned with opening the Beckett pump, and that i probably wouldnt be able to return it after its been used. im hesitant to try it out, but we are both very excited about getting this up and going. decisions decisions!
-thank you again for you time.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9200493

Because you only have 5 you may be OK. This is one of those situations where bigger is definitely better. The more volume of water that you can turn over in the shortest amount of time will go a long way towards oxygen levels and overall filtration. This will help to keep both your pond and your fish healthy. Any type of drop from where the water flows will help to increase the oxygen in your pond as well. You may also want to add some washed down pea gravel to your bog as this too will help with your filtration.

I am not familiar with either Beckett or Laguna pumps, however, I checked another source and you can get the next size up on the Laguna pump for less moeny at WWW.webbsonline.com -not telling you who to deal with as I too have done well with Amazon, bt you may want to take a look.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9202537

Hi Laura & Dave,
Curious, you said bog size, but what size is the pond in gallons? If its rectangular its lenthXwidthXaverage depth X7.4 will give you gallons.
We have always bought larger than recommended when it comes to pumps. Husb. always looks for pumps that take less amps because they run cheaper. The stronger the pump the less it has to work to push water up the required head feet. We have lots of electrical items running around here so we try to go for most energy efficient.
Hope all the info you are getting will help.
Bonnie
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9202817

Hi Bonnie the pond is about 1500 gallons . the pump we got is supposed to be energy efficient ( i hope ) we are hoping to plug the whole thing in tonight or tomorrow . I have built the contraption for the bottom of the bog filter and had a heck of a time getting the pvc pipe down in size of a garden hose, but with the help of a guy at home depot ( who had no idea what I was talking about in regard to a bog filter , but humored me ) it is done ! wheew . my son, the muscle in this endeavor is working until 2 then we will hopefully fill it with the pea gravel and let her rip ! keep you fingers crossed for us
laura

This message was edited Jul 12, 2012 1:20 PM
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9202831

here is the bog and the big picture , the green material is an under liner

Thumbnail by laurawege   Thumbnail by laurawege
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 12, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9202847

Hey. Interesting project. I never thought of adding a formed bog section but would love to filter through a bog. Probably too late for us though. As Carolyn said, bigger is (usually) better. We started with a 3200gph pump on a 2800gallon pond. We now have a 5200gph pump. Course we have about 4' of head to overcome and a 48" UV tube to run through. That really slows it down. Now if someone would just cut down all the darned cottonwoods that are clogging my skimmer filter... miserable overgrown weeds. Your bog garden and pond will look great when done. Good luck.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9203140

Mary

I filter through a bog and truthfully, I wouldn't do it any other way. Ironically DH had turned off the bog pump about 6 weeks ago and never said anything. Our pond started to turn and the stuff that was coming out of the pressure filters smelled like the stuff that ends up in the bog. When he finally mentioned something about shutting off the bog pump, I startled him because I yelled 'That's it!'. We had had the same problem a number of years ago and apparently he had forgotten. Anyway, long story short, we put a larger pump through the bog until it cleared and now we are back using the 750 pump for the bog and the water is clear again.

I know a lot of people don't put their filtration through bogs and they have clear water, so whatever works best for each situation...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 12, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9203162

Yeah, our water is clear, though reflects the greenish tint from the amounts of algae (very little) on the rocks. Looks more natural than no green at all. But the water itself is clear. I would still like the idea of a bog. Seems more natural and healthy. Just afraid that DH would drown me in the pond if I suggest any further changes. lol. Maybe next time, if there IS a next time.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9203174

Laura, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Hope all goes well. I think the bog idea is great.
I don't have one but just did dump 3 construction size garbage bags of hyacinths into my newer larger pond. The root system should be an excellent filter. Have some in older pond too. The fish just love it to hide in and nibble the roots.

Carolyn,
I certainly agree with you on everyones water being different. We put in expensive water softner system years ago and it was fine, now we have problems with iron water. All of our outside water is not filtered and eventually we will have a red house around the bottom. Looks tacky. Dealing with it in pool is really a problem and doesn't help the ponds any either. Oh well thats life.
I am so thankful we have been getting a little rain every afternoon. What a blessing.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9203187

[quote="BonnieGardens"]
I am so thankful we have been getting a little rain every afternoon. What a blessing.
Bonnie[/quote]

Thankfully it is raining here right now! ^_^
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9203214

Someday there will be enough water in our canal to turn irrigation system on again--can't wait.

When God waters plants they always do so much better. Mine are looking like a jungle in the 3 beds I have planted and new plants around new pond are doing great.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9205249

Laura did you get your pond up and going? Hope so.
Bonnie
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9213596

Hi Bonnie We have been away so I didn't see this . Yes we did get it up and running, it is a work in progress as we figure out all the pitfalls and fun . we were gone for a week and there is quite a bit of algae on the sides of the liner but the water is clear ( almost ) since we left . it has been really hot and humid here so that may have contributed to it but I understand that it is all part of the process so I am not to worried about it . I need to get a few more plants for the bog filter and research which ones are best for filtering . it has been so much fun and we really appreciate the help you guys have given .
laura and dave

Thumbnail by laurawege   Thumbnail by laurawege   Thumbnail by laurawege

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9213683

Laura and Dave

There will always be string algae in the Summer. Yes, the heat contributes to it.

Every so often, DH will come in with a wire tooth brush type thing that he put on the end of a long pole and he will go after the stones on the waterfalls to get rid of the string algae.

Hope your trip away for a week was for pleasure and enjoyable. Welcome back!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9213743

Laura,
Wonderful you got your pond going. Don't feel bad about pond algae I also have to deal with it in our swimming pool. Thank heavens for pool chlorine. Right now pond looks better than pool.
Wow Carolyn, you really have some algae there. Of course it is very hot here now and will be for months. I always look forward to winter and my vegie gardening.
Happy ponding all.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9213837

Bonnie

Happens all the time in the waterfalls. DH just goes after it with his wire brush... ^_^. Water is crystal clear.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9214452

Carolyn,
Know what you mean. Went in old pond yesterday to tend some plants and waterfall had thick green strings so I pulled them all off but water is very clear. In weird way its kind of pretty on the rocks. Got some around edges on liner too and thats ok with me. Better than seeing black.
I was very surprised how new pond cleared up so fast. All I put in it was Proform-C and good bacteria let it set a week and then turned on UVC. I am so thankful I didn't have to go thru what I did with old pond.
After all new fish were added to pond I salted both of them. Got some wounded from move so hope it will help them also.
If I was closer to Belle I sure could supply her with some fish. Sharing is part of the fun.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9214491

Bonnie

Hope you did your water exchanges with the Proform C - also, Proform C and salt don't mix well. The combination could kill the fish.

Carolyn
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9216644

Put proform-C in weeks before the salt actually the day I filled the new pond. Salt just this week and not a ton like some use.
So far so good. Found crooked tail dead this morning but I feel it was from tramma when moving.
His tail was broken and badly bent plus fins all torn up. Thats part of owning any animals.
Going out to feed now.
Happy ponding all.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9218748

Guess what!!! My fish loving son told me he was going back to the man's pond and go wading again to get me some more butterfly koi. I met the man and he just doesn't like butterfly koi. Ain't it a shame. LOL So after I get back from Texas vac. I will go with him and give them a hand. His pond is about 30 feet long and 25 wide all one liner. My son has a 6 section folding gate thing he bought to keep his dogs from tearing down his Christmas tree and when you stretch it across a pond you can corale the fish all to one end. He gets into coraled end and nets them out pretty easily. He loves doing it and brings all the fish to me so I certainly don't complain. His son helped him last time. Can you picture a 13 yr. old that likes wading with fish. He's in the gifted student program at school and when he gets fish in his hands notices scales and everything about them. Maybe we have a future marine biologist in the family. He's also very interested in vegie gardening. A kid after my own heart. I really enjoy him. In the pics I posted of my pond crew he is the one on the right. Skinny as a rake but strong.
Not sure but I think theres about 30 fish in the new pond now. Not many in old pond so there is room there also. Most are goldfish. Does anyone know if there is a species of goldfish that DON'T grow more than 8". Had one goldie that was over 1 1/2 feet but he took a leap out of a sick tank and didn't see him soon enough so I lost him. Made me so mad at myself. Now I always cover the small tanks if I have any in there.
Son told me they had one fish that kept jumping out of their nets so he held his net up high and caught the fish in mid air naturally we named it Jumper. It's a pretty butterfly kind of pinkish red in color. Always wanted blue koi well now I have 3 straight sided not butterly but heck there free and their beautiful so they rated the new pond also.
Sorry for the rambling but you know how we ponders are when talking fish.
Bonnie
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9219137

Bonnie , I know how you feel about your boy : ) Dave is the same sort and he is 29 we still have so much fun together . When my son jamie (25) is home we all have a great time too. so many people don't get along with their family , they don't know what they are missing : )
laura
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 26, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9219225

Bonnie,
I lost all my butterflies so i plan to buy some in the fall. You are so lucky!! Enjoy!!

Belle

This message was edited Jul 26, 2012 12:53 PM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9219343

Laura - I agree with you. My family is everything to me. We have fun when we get together as well.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America