Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Can I just complain about the weather for a minute?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 12, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9200421

I was so excited to move back to the Midwest from Florida so I could get back to my gardens. Well, Florida followed. Heat wave in February, ridiculous temps all summer, and NO rain...

My peas burnt up before I hardly got any, my beans are tough, cucumbers bitter, sunscald on my peppers, stunted corn, and now non ripening tomatoes (although that may not be weather related IDK). Oh and of course I barely got any cool weather greens and brassicas. I guess all I can look forward to now are my roots and melons. I'm getting so frustrated!!!

Am I the only one?
Easybake
Arlington, TX

July 10, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9200938

long periods of high heat 95^ will stop tomato's from producing.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9201000

Come to think of it, why is it so hard to grow food. You have to have full sun, but not too much. You have to have the perfect soil, you have to have rain at the right time,& you have to have the perfect temperature. Plants seem to be very particular. I think its easier to raise dogs or cats. Is it just me.?
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9201192

It has been HOT and dry here also (in north Texas.) The tomato plants had a good start because of the warm temps and rain in the
early spring (are now over five feet tall) but only have a couple of tomatoes on them. So you aren't the only one who is frustrated Sweetie77!

We got a few sprinkles Tuesday but what we need is a steady soaking rain (we'll take what we can get though and are thankful for it!)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9201244

We're in the same boat here in the Ozarks. Hot and dry. I'm worried about the forest around us. Have never seen it ths dry. Some of the oaks seem to be dieing.
Vickie

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9201310

sweetie77 - I moved from Florida, too, to get away from the heat, humidity and all those bugs! You're right, the weather has followed us!

I dread to think what my water bill will be this month.

One good thing, we had a heavy downpour in the night! YAY!

I keep thinking about the two building lots we own in the Tennessee mountains. I wonder if it still rains there...?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 11, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9201329

We had a downpour here in Virginia Beach yesterday and last night. My plants grew few inches!!! LOL!!! I do not let the heat bother me too much because I am mandated to play golf 3 times a week . LOL!! I have some stuff to keep me cool and we dress to keep cool. I know it is crazy but it is an addiction!!!

One thing good is we have a deep well and a sprinkler system to make my life easier. My gardens still takes a lot of my time watering where the sprinkler can not reach.

We have 8 faucets scattered in the yard. It was all planned very well to make my life easier.

Stay cool. Happy gardening and enjoy the fresh veggies!!!

Belle
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9201474

I've never had a year like this! A green bean failure. GREEN BEANS people! LOL! They are so easy! I haven't given up though, I put in a second crop yesterday, and I've never had any luck with corn even with ideal conditions. I know things could be worse, I could be in Texas. Isn't this the second extremely dry year for you guys? I lived down there 10 years ago and we had 100 days of temps above 100 and no rain in Dallas! WOW!!! I guess where there's a will there's a way.

I know what your saying about the water bill Honeybee! Between that and my electric bill for cooling the house, I'm gonna NEED those veggies to feed the family :) The real crap thing about that is one of the selling points to this house was well water outside and city in, but apparently there was an oil spill nearby BEFORE we bought the house and we were never told. A few years ago all the wells on my street had to be capped because it was dangerous. NICE!!!! But that's a whole other story. Nonetheless, I am watering with city water and it's not cheap! I am still watering with sprinklers too and wasting so much, but I didn't know the summer would be like this. I spent my gardening budget this year on Rosie. My awesome rear tine tiller. Next year drip irrigation!

I try not to complain to much. We may be poor (kinda), but all our needs are met. We may be hot and dry, but my soil is awesome. My green beans might fail, but my melons are loving the heat. :)
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9201490

Honeybee, I assume you have visited your building lots in TN. How is the soil there? My hubby is always away for work, so there is nothing that really ties me to Illinois and I was looking at little 7 or 8 acre lots there because the prices are right. This tiny little house on 1/3 acre is 140,000 and a bigger house on 8 acres in TN is under 100,000. Not to mention IL. taxes and price of living. Other cheaper states I've found for a little homestead are Michigan and Kentucky, but TN is so pretty!

It's just I am in love with my dirt! And as far as I know the best soil in the world is here in the Midwest. Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana... but land prices are thru the roof!

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 8:54 AM

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9201517

sweetie77 - the soil on our lots is hard, red clay - just like here! The two lots are small - just large enough for a house and small garden. One is coverd with trees, the other is on a steep slope.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9201531

so basically what I would save in land prices I would spend on soil ammendments :(

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9201554

Quoting:so basically what I would save in land prices I would spend on soil ammendments

LOL!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9201894

This summer is not as bad as last summer by far! We've not had many days of temps over 100 and we've had some rain. I'm not complaining, but it doesn't really make me want to get out and work in the garden any! LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America