Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: tomatoes not ripening

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9200422

My mators have been heavy with fruit for weeks, but I have yet to have one even begin to ripen. I have about 20 plants of varied varietys. Not a single slightly pink tomatoes. What's going on?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9200468

Tough to say. Mine are just beginning to ripen and I'm in a warmer area than you are. When did you plant them out? Depending on the type/variety, they may all ripen at once, or one at a time throughout the season. Two days ago I had none that seemed to be close, this morning, I picked about 20.
Hopefully, time will fix the problem :)
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9200702

Be patient. Tomatoes seem to have their own time table. Here in Zone 6A my tomatoes usually ripen in August and September no matter what I do. The cherries may ripen earlier at the end of July but the big ones wait until mid to late August. The mid sized ones are variable. When they are ready they will ripen. If not fried green tomatoes are great too! But you still have two more months to go! So hang in there! As Catmad said variety is a big factor - some are early, mid or late ripeners. And if they all ripen at the same time you will be swimming in glorious sauce!!

We also just finished a heat wave which really affects tomatoes. I am amazed that I have as many tomatoes as I do since high heat and humidity really make it hard on pollination. Good luck!

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 8:46 PM
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9201514

Thanks for the info guys! I had no idea the weather affected their pollination. I swear I learn something new every time I log onto Dave's Garden!!! I've worked so hard on these tomatoes and I'm counting on my 12 or so Romas on ripening at the same time for a tomato canning marathon LOL! But unfortunately I have to go to NY to visit the in laws soon and I'm terrified all that ripening is gonna happen without me UGH! I guess that's why I am so impatient LOL!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9201906

There's a lot of that going around *grin*. I have to go to NY to visit my family July 20-30. It is, of course, the time everything ripens, and is at it's best :(
Will anyone be home to tend the 'Maters? I have my SO throw all the tomatoes he can't find homes for into the freezer, and then I can them in the fall. Works really well for me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America