Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: summer squash question regaurding hand pollination

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bmo
Putnam, CT

July 10, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9200579

Hello from CT USA!
This is my first year gardening. I have several different plants but my main concern, currently, is that my yellow summer squash are beggining to bloom. However, none of the males have opened. They are just green buds. Morning after morning, I helplessly watch my squash go by. I read up and learned to hand pollinate, but to do this I had to pluck and open a green, immature male. The pollen inside it was yellow; but it was wet and clumpy unlike typical flower pollen. I'm afraid the males have not yet sufficiently matured.
Additionally, I pollinated by rubbing the pollen on the females with my fingers. The females wilted slightly shortly after.
Are my males matured enough ? Is this common? WILL they ever open? Is something wrong? Did I damage the females by touching them with my fingers and not using using a paintbrush or q-tip? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Any shared experience with immature males would be great.
Thanks in advance,
BMO

Thumbnail by bmo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9202814

I see tiny yellow squash on your plants so I'm not sure why you believe you need to hand pollinate?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9203741

You get 7 male flowers for each female flower, don't pollinate by hand, they grow that way. The male squash blooms fried are a delicacy, ESP while waiting fruit to mature. Do not plant zucchini and yellow simmer squash together or they find a way to cross pollinate and change and abort, do watch for a blackish fungus or too much humidity and water to rot them, do not water every day, soak em and let em dry out, good luck
janet214
Grass Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9205209

I am having a similar problem except my male flowers open just don't have any females. The few I did have I hand pollinated with a q-tip. I was told to wait and they will come lol...oh and also to start using liquid master bloom every two weeks. From what the nursery told me was it will help with flower and fruit production. So that is my plan for Monday. Good luck:)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9205458

Yeah, sometimes there are a lot more males for awhile than females,

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America