Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: Suggestions from Peter Schneider (Right Rose, Right Place)

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 20, Views: 198
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9200606

I attended a two hour presentation sponsored by the Sauk Trail Rose Society last Saturday. They set up tents and had fans, comfy seating, cookies and tons of bottled water. The members are really cool, and it was actually worth, for me the 110 mile round trip.

That's because Peter Schneider is my personal rose hero. He is an absolutely delightful human being. And he can't grow Iceberg either. He and his marvelous wife came with about 75 cut roses, which they let us keep to enjoy. I got Karl Frau Druschki, a hybrid perpetual that is surprisingly gorgeous but is hampered by it's name. Peter explained that the second prize winner at the contest where this was got money. The unfortunate first place winner got his rose named for the head judges wife. Guess what her name was? And guess how that name fared in the market?
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=2844&tab=36

And I got Vick's Caprice, a funky striped hybrid perpetual that gets lots of disease.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.6413&tab=36

He gave some suggestions for bulletproof roses for the midwest.

Old Port, a floribunda bred by Sam McGredy:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=2168&tab=36

The Ingenious Mr, Fairchild, which he feels to be a very superior David Austin Rose:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.38989.1&tab=36

And Pink Surprise, a hybrid Bracteata by Lens. What's the surprise? It starts out yellow:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4861.0

He asked me what class of rose I would grow if I could only grow one. I responded, Portland, and he was kind enough to say that he thought it was an excellent choice. See how nice he is?

He also had some suggestions that surprised us all. He uses lawn fertilizer on his roses. He says it has the same great stuff, and it's cheap.

He also is a big fan of Roses Unlimited. He likes Pickering too.

Just thought I'd pass his information on. The man is a peach!

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9208599

I'm a fan of almost any Lens-bred rose, so thanks for the Pink Surprise suggestion. I'm just getting "into" that breeder. And there are some "sleepers" in the David Austin world. I agree that Mr Fairchild is one, this man must trully be a peach.

I'll have to take a look at the lawn fertilizer suggestion. I mostly use Mill's Magic, but have to UPS it in and it is not cheap. It gives great results, but if I could get the same results for less money then that just means more funds at the end of the year for more roses! Did he suggest a brand?

I'm glad you found a cool rose society branch. Did you see the latest survey results in the ARS magazine? Results stated that the rose shows were just the peachiest things in all catagories. Who were these people surveying?!? The people attending the rose shows? I really think the ARS would be better served by an outside, independent survey company. Probably don't have the funds though.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9208631

I laughed out loud at the ARS results. What planet are they on? I think that if they did a random survey of the public they would receive VERY different responses!

I knew nothing about Lens, and I was blown away by Pink Surprise. Where did you get The Ingenious Mr, Fairchild? I have been looking for it.

He said that any lawn fertilizer that has the ratios of a rose fertilizer you like will do.

Oh, and here is a link to the article. A photographer came, and she was a doll. I loved the subtle implication that roses are grown by primarily geriatrics (although I was just about the youngest person there!)

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/lifestyles/vickroy/13699936-452/can-the-rose-bloom-for-a-new-generation-of-gardeners.html

This message was edited Jul 17, 2012 8:59 AM
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9208706

I got mine from Heirloom Roses. I know, I know, a lot of folks don't like them. But they have a really good selection of Austin roses that I want to try and they are own root. The small size does not bother me as I've always received healthy roses from them. So go figure. If you wait for a sale ...

I'll check out your link. Sounds like a lot of fun!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9208736

I got a one gallon from Champlees (your suggestion, yes?) that is blowing me away. I have it in a large blue ceramic pot, and it just blooms and blooms and blooms. Yesterday, in 108 degree heat, it threw out several flowers. I just love that rose. And it has No mildew or blackspot.

Having a rose in a big pot is kind of fun. I have the pot on rollers, so I can move it around and treat it like a pet.

You were right about Chamblees. I had never purchased a rose that small. So what the heck - I'll check out Heirloom.

Thanks.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9208918

Fair warning, the plants from Heirloom can be smaller than Chamblees. Some folks really don't think they are getting their money's worth. And I wait until they have a free shipping sale or some other discount as shipping from CA can be steep. But I've gotten some good roses from them that I can't find elsewhere.

I love the pot on wheels thing. I often feel like I'm taking the plant on a walk around the patio!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9209019

Yes, like a little dog!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9210312

OH, gee! Just got an e-mail today anouncing Heirloom roses big sale. I've never done their big end of year sale, so don't know what to expect. But at $8.75 or less per rose, what the heck? Maybe some one else has order from past sales...

Anyway: http://www.heirloomroses.com/sale
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9210369

Wow, they have The Ingenius Mr. Fairchild.

But it's between 90 and 100 degrees here. How can they ship safely now?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9210402

Oh, heck, who cares? I ordered Jacqueline DuPre, which I have always wanted, and The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild. Shipping is $13 and change. I have the pots. Why not?

Thank you, you enabler!!!!!!

Donna
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9211125

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9215920

Oh Terri!

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild (which I could find nowhere else) and Jacquelyn DuPre just arrived. In 94 degree heat, they look wonderful. Yes, they are small, but they are very healthy! No heat stress. No blackspot. Into pots they will go, for the first year or two!

Well, my dear, this is the second company, the first being Chamblees, to which you have led me. I'll write a review before the end of the day.

Here are the two. Aren't they sweet?

And speaking of sweet, here is my one gallon Glamis, blooming pretty much non-stop in temperatures over 100. Chamblees is excellent! I now have my solutions to the "but I only want one rose" problem. The other small pots are rare hydrangeas I received from Raulston Arboretum. I love the pots, because they are so easy to monitor,

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click an image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9217053

It is turn around fair play and you and Zuzu turned me onto the Canadian nurseries when I first started on Dave's. Glad it worked out! They look really good!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9217061

Oh, interesting. Heirloom wants them to go into the ground. I can do that. What do you think, oh ye goddess of rose knowledge? Pot or ground?

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9217124

Oh, gee. Not a goddess here! Just a demented enthusiast.

I would go with what you feel most comfortable with. I could argue for both. Really, though--are you in the drought and excessive heat area? If so maybe pot and partial shade until cooler weather comes and then plant out in the permanent spot. Then they can spread their roots and get ready for next spring. Even my well established roses wilt a bit in the 95 + heat we are getting now. They need a lot of water and I can't help but think the heat would be too much for that size rose. If I do plant out in this type of weather I have shade cloth and run water with a timer. Potting seems easiest.

Maybe get some of the other of us heat stricken rose growers in on this one...Maybe they have addittional tricks to deal with the heat if you want to plant right away.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9217141

Thanks Terri, I really did not want to plant them out. I much prefer to put them in pots and blow kisses at them till the fall. I had already picked the pots. Glamis is very happy in her pot. The bloom is almost continuous. Such a joy.

I've been out moving things around. I discovered that trumpets and orienpets bloom beautifully in the shade, so I moved a bunch of regales and regale albums to the back shaded bed, and I'm going to move a peony there. I might just move Festiva Maxima closer to the front. It's unhappy in the back. It's leves are burning, and none of my other peonies have experinced that.

Thank you so much!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9221583

Well, spoke too soon. I was sent Jude the Obscure instead of Jacqueline DuPre. I have contacted them by email, since they are not available on Saturdays. I have NEVER been sent the wrong rose. I changed my GW rating to neutral and will keep you posted. Yellow/Apricot is not my thing.

Donna
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9223441

Sorry for your difficulty. Two years ago I ordered Leander (climbing) from Autin's and got Gertrude Jekyll instead (labeled Leander). I didn't really find out it was Gertrude until it started to bloom as I had ordered bareroots. Turned out OK for me as Austin's told me to keep Gertrude--which I didn't think I wanted and it turned out I really like the rose. And then they sent me Leander. So I moved Gertrude and life is good. I think this happens more often that we think. Jude is a really nice rose. Hopefully they will just send you the correct rose and they you have a very nice gift for someone. Heirloom's customer serive has been good in my past experiences with them...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9223750

They are sending the correct rose, which is great. Jude seems to be an incredibly fragrant rose, but it gets mixed reviews. Some say the flowers ball (not an issue for me in my climate). Apparently Japanese beetles love it. My biggest problem is the color, the size and the fact that it needs sun. All of my roses are pink, white, red and a Rose du Reschy color (fuchsia?). I'm ordering Tess to grow it as a climber - Jude is actually a little bigger but isn't recommended as a climber.

I'll figure it out. It will mean moving other things, but I was going to move some other things anyway.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9226212

I received the new rose. It's quite perfect. I gave them a positive review on GW. I will be ordering again. I am impressed by them. Their products are superb, and they cheerfully correct any problems, which is one sign of a top company.

You would never know it was almost 100 degrees outside. The rose looks a lot fresher than I do.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9232366

I found a place to put Jude the Obscure. I actually moved Sea Foam to the end of the bed because from experience I knew how much it would expand. That way I could put Jude near Jacquelyn Du Pre.

I never had risked summer planting for roses. I had always read that it was sheer death for roses. Another myth busted.

And I have found two new companies, at least for me: Chamblees and Heirloom. I actually like the smaller containerized roses. I like the fact that I can order one or two. The catch with big bare roots (and I do love my Pickering roses) is that I must dig much bigger holes in order to handle the spreading canes, and in my experience you really need to get bareroots into the ground in a couple of days or they start to decline. And you have to order at least three of these big babies. Yes, the price is right and they are my height in a couple of months, insome cases (Heritage). But it can be pretty stressful.

Based on the recommendation of Peter Schneider, I have placed an order with Roses Unlimited for replacement roses from my old yard: Zephirine Drouhin, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Rose du Rescht. They will come in the spring. I loved these roses so much. They were amongst my earliest rose purchases, after significant anal research, and I have never regretted buying them. Rose du Rescht is going in the front in a location that required a somewhat showy but reblooming rose. Tess is going, again, on the trellis I took from home (wow, those things are expensive now!) And Zeph is going into a semi shaded spot. I loved all my roses, but Zeph had a special magic for me. It wasn't supposed to grow in my zone. I took the advice of a rosarian from St. Louis, which is in a warmer zone. I put it on the north side of my yard. I didn't grow it as a climber. Sometimes I wanted to hug it (which I could, since it is thornless).

Thank you Terri, for expanding my options so wonderfully. You have made me feel very good about being a BAD, BAD girl!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America