Photo by Melody

Handyman: stripping.... brick that is...

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 5, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9200610

now that Ive gotten your attention...lol.. I have a brick fireplace in my home that has been painted over the years.. I was wondering if theres anyway I can remove the paint other than sandblasting it off.. Im planning on redoing the living room from floor to ceiling and figured this would be the place to start.. I realize its gonna take a ton of labor but one thing I do have is time..Id really like to get it back top its original state

thanks a lot
kathleen
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9200812

Unfortunately since brick is rough & porous and the paint soaks into it, I think sandblasting will probably be your best option. If you try paint stripper I don't know if it'll get all the paint out of the pores of the brick. It might be less work to just paint it again to a more brick-like color if that's the look you want.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9203631

its already a brick paint color and it looks terrible.. there must be 10 layers of paint on it.. maybe a heat gun to get the majority then sand blasting???
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9203756

It's worth a try--worst case scenario you're not able to get enough of it off and you end up having to paint again, but at least you won't be painting again over 10 other layers of paint, you'll be down to a half a layer at that point. And since you say you have time, if you keep at it you may eventually get it cleaned up, I just don't think it'll be a quick process. Good luck!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 17, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9208591

If you have a Harbor Freight within a reasonable distance, they have their heat guns on sale often.

We learned that it was cheaper to buy 2 of them and buy the warranty for one - there is no way they could tell which one died - lol.
Actually this technique was the advice of one of the store's associates.

A frined and I stripped all woodwork in an 80+ YO farmhouse - took months - used about 7 heat guns but was much bettr than the chemical strippers.

Best liquid stripper was SoyGel - not fast, but it works and is reusable (but messy).
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9212990

My experience with a HF heat gun was that it lasted about 30 seconds before it burned something out inside.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America