-
AuthorContent
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9200886

Hello Hibiscus lovers!!! Last winter I had two Hibiscus plants that I had overwintered in a bedroom for the winter under fluorescent lights and they bloomed all winter so I decided to give propagation a try. Every time I had a bloom on both plants, I would cross pollinate them. Well I had one pod come out of the whole thing. I was pretty happy about that! On March 18, 2012 I planted them. Well, July 4th I found a baby that had finally decided to poke it's little head out. When I took mommy and daddy outside in the spring, they died so baby is all I have left of them. The parents are Big Box plants, so they weren't near as cool as ya'lls, but as it is, I am a godfather, so I want to raise it and see what I have created. :) I just want to make sure I do it right, so this is where you come in. :) I have posted a pic of each parent so you could see them, and also a pic of the baby. It is still in the seed tray and I need to know exactly what to do. Don't worry about talking to me like I am stupid, because this is a first for me so I need specifics. I promise ya'll won't hurt my feelings! :) Do I need to repot right now or wait? If so, what kind of soil do I need to put it in and what sized pt? I have potting soil, garden soil and cotton-burr compost (super high in Nitrogen). I told you I needed specifics! hehehe. Oh, the baby is outside in part sun (all morning). Thank you in advance and if it survives hell (West Texas) I will definitely post pictures.

Thumbnail by prosdokaobasile   Thumbnail by prosdokaobasile   Thumbnail by prosdokaobasile   Thumbnail by prosdokaobasile   Thumbnail by prosdokaobasile
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kljflower
Tipp City, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9203768

I don't know enough to suggest anything - but I think it is so exciting that you were able to do this! Good luck!
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9204258

Thank you! Last night I put it in a 3 inch pot with Sta-Green Garden Soil. I had to get it in something cause the root started coming out the bottom. We will see how it goes! :)

Thumbnail by prosdokaobasile
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 13, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9204544

I was at Lowes today and they had a whole section of starter plants in 4"pots. Some of them were tropical hibiscus. I think $3 per plant. Plants looked healthy but I did not look at root system. Good luck. Sharon
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9213972

The baby hasn't grown any at all, but it isn't dying so I guess that is a good thing! Hopefully this means it is concentrating on the roots. :)
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9236311

The baby finally has a new leaf on it, but I think it would be too small to see in a pic, so I will wait until it gets a little bigger. What would be a good fertilizer for it, as I have heard they are food mongers. :) Also, I am tired of calling it "the baby" so please help me find a nick-name for it for now. Once it blooms in the next Ice Age, we can rename it according to it's bloom. ^_^
prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9237396

Here is the new leaf. ^_^

Thumbnail by prosdokaobasile
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 11, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9238503

Have you named this "Baby". We should start cheering for it but we need a name. Maybe "Baby Hib". "Big Tex". It is your baby. You name it and we will cheer. New leaf is great sign. Smiling for you in Las Vegas. Sharon
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9242761

I've grown them from seeds several times. Some times it worked, other times not!
My advice is to keep doing what you're doing. It's worked so far and this guy will need the same care for a while until it gets bigger. I wouldn't do anything with high nitrogen. I doubt the young tender roots could handle it. If you want to fertilize, I would only use a starter fertilizer (one for transplanting plants and helps prevent shock) or something like Fish Emulsion fertilizer.
With those parents, you could get a pretty interesting bloom.
Here are pics of a successful propagation attempt of mine. The parents are The President (Father) and Erin Rachel (Mother). When I managed to grow the babies (three of the five lived) to the point of blooming, I was so excited that I named them after that feeling - Pukin' Happy. ;)
I don't have a picture of the Father, but it's a single red. Here is a picture of Erin Rachel and Pukin' Happy.
Good luck!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie   Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Click an image for an enlarged view.

prosdokaobasile
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9242846

So... is my baby growing at a normal pace or is it growing real slow. It feels slow. How old was Pukin' Happy when it bloomed? Thank you so much for the inspiration! :)
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9243457

For the weather/temps. ertc., I think it's growing fine. I started one several weeks ago and it looks like you first picture. It takes a while for them to bloom. Those who are very experienced can get a bloom within a year, but I had to wait 1 yr 9 mo.
Barb

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America