Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Orchids: Ants

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 7, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9200947

This past weekend I gave my Maxillaria tenuifolia a bath. It is on a wooden plank and the roots are wrapped in Sphag. Poured a little water over the roots and out popped a colony, eggs and all. I also have ants in a number of pots. Is this bad for the plants? I have not seen any ill effects. Or is it just a pain when you're trying to work in the garden

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310
Click an image for an enlarged view.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 10, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9201032

Ted, In some cases, ants and orchids have a simbiotic relationship. That being said, they do tend the mealies, aphids, and anything else that creates honydew, and you certainly don't want to bring an ant colony in the house with a plant... I suppose they could spread viruses also. Just my opinion.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9201650

I agree with Carol. Ants are usually a warning signal that honydew producing plant suckers are at work. The ants will spread them from leaf to leaf and plant to plant. However, I found this on Andy's web site: "Many genus are either excreting sap to attract ants as protection (oncidiums, catts…) or even providing housing (myrmecophylla to name one…) with some sugar excretion to feed them or even depends on them for pollination (Leporella fimbriata)". So, it is not always a bad thing. My advise is to inspect ant infested plants closely and regularly for signs of aphids and their ilk. If none are found, pour a glass of wine and relax.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

July 11, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9202276

I get scale every now and then and always find ants transporting it so i always try to get rid of ants, we have alot around were i live though.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 12, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9203058

I did loose a plant (not an orchid) once that the ants had colonized. When I tipped the pot over, the drain hole was completely blocked with a yellow fungus, which the ants also farm for food. The plant rotted due to lack of drainage. Now if it looks like they've moved into a pot, I check the hole!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 14, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9204920

So, while ants in and of themselves may not harm plants, there livestock will. Begs the question then. How do you get rid of them outside or in.
chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9204973

I have had a lot of positive results using Terro ant killer on my orchids. I just place a few drops on the edge of the pot and it seems to do the trick to get rid of the entire colony inside the pot. They are attracted to the honey-like substance and take it back to the nest. I do not place it on the medium or the roots in order to avoid any possible problems.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9205139

The concensus on my carpenter ants in the cork mount is that I need to submerge the whole plant in a tub of water for a couple of hours to drown them or force them to abandon ship . They won't take sweet bait like Terro, or the Amdro protein bait either, right now.

For the little black ants that farm the aphids and scale, I agree, sweet bait works. Our entomologist at the Extension office taught us to dilute the Terro by at least half with bottled or distilled water because sometimes it is too strong, and kills the workers before they can carry it all the way back to the nest. Makes your bottle of Terro last twice as long, too!

But you have to then get rid of the aphids and scale or the ants will come back.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America