Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Shady Gardens: Protection from the Sun in a Borderline Full Sun Garden

Communities > Forums > Shady Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Shady GardensReplies: 3, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LaBoy
Buffalo, NY

July 11, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9201392

I have a garden on the northeastern portion of my home which gets the morning sun and afternoon shade. I would say between 730 and 1 the garden is in shade. Since this is very close to 6 hours, I fear all of my gardens including this one is considered full sun (irises, honeysuckle shrub, blazing star do great here). I transplanted a goats beard here and recently planted an astilbe and toad lily (which I set back, moreso protected from the sun that others)

So here's my question...Does anyone know of something that I can do to help protect these more delicate plants from the sun?! The problem is I don't have an actually woodland like setting to put them in instead. I am working with a roll of screen material (like for a door?) to filter the light as it certainly does help. Do you think it would be ok to make like a lean-to style screen over them?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9201913

I think that would work great -- but might not look too lovely. Are you just waiting for some shrubs/trees to grow big enough to provide natural shade?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9201915

I used crabapples and smokebushes in my yard for the same effect of shade. Smokebushes are relatively inexpensive, very low maintenance and disease resistant, and provide nice shade. They also grow quickly.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9204277

How about even a lattice with a vine to provide some shade?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America