Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: THERE WAS A BUG THERE !!!!!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 25, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindasch100
Chino Valley, AZ

July 11, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9201551

I love this forum. I breed horses, never did gardens. I'm INTO it!. this is great fun.
all of a sudden holes in the leaves of zuchinni and spaghetti squash. As I moved the leaves I saw an angular beetle-type. Gray -brown in color, about 1/3 inch long. Not fast enougth to catch it and could not find another one. I am in northern Arizona. Now what?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9201567

lindasch100 - when I came to America in the mid-60's my dream was to breed horses. Somehow, life got in the way and it never happened. So, I turned to what I knew best - gardening.

Your bug might be a squash bug. If you Google "squash bug" you'll find some images of them.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9201581

You could look for it on the bugfiles here under guides!
lindasch100
Chino Valley, AZ

July 11, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9202004

yes, I think it is a squash bug.
I googled it: aaackkkkkkk! Hard to control. I have read about picking them off and into a bucket, using insecticide on the larvae, making a homey bug "sandwich" out of cardboard so they go there and then shake them out in the AM. I like organic but with this I am not above chemicals.
Anyone here have favorite remedies?
Linda
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9202404

I believe using a chemical to control squash bugs would require a "strong" chemical. They seem oblivious to Seven.
Picking them off and throwing them into a bucket of soapy water has been my best solution. I do enjoy picking them off and feeding them to the chickens. I'm told that guinea hens will do the job for you and not harm the fruit. I haven't owned guineas so I can not confirm. Maybe someday when somebody breeds a guinea that will stay in the yard I'll give it a try.
I am planning on trying the "board" method which is similar to the cardboard sandwich. Supposedly they will crawl under the board and all you do is step on it. I'm skeptical, but I'll try anything once.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9202664

I don't think there is any chemical that will control them once they reach the adult stage.
janet214
Grass Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9203994

Hi just wanted to say that there is a good organic solution. Try Pyganic but you will need a pesticide I'd # to get it. If you can't get it then try the safer line like the safer endall insect killer. Works on Japanese beetles should work on squash beetles, and it is organic.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9205908

squash bugs, leafooted bugs, even roly polys eat gardens, it is a bugs world, DE -diatomaceous earth- neem oils, 5%sevin, spider mites, but the squash bugs are garden enemy #1.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9206336

"Try Pyganic but you will need a pesticide I'd # to get it."

Pyganic would definitely work on squash bugs and it is readily available and does NOT require a pesticide license. Unfortunately it is super expensive, too rich for my blood.

I'd go with Pyola, available from Gardens Alive and is much less expensive and also "organic".

I'm right there with the rest of ya. As kittriana said "squash bugs are enemy #1". Some years I just don't grow squash because of them.

"Maybe someday when somebody breeds a guinea that will stay in the yard I'll give it a try."

Hah! Yardener... Grinnin at ya. I raised guineas for years and am now guinea-less. Fortunately for me my neighbors guineas come to visit each day! (Unfortunately the guineas never seemed to take a liking to squash bugs here but they sure did a number a multitude of other nuisance bugs)

Shoe
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9206399

I have a plumbers torch with an auto starter. I hold it back about 6 inches, and give them a short burst. Works, and it's therapeutic! Did I mention I hate squash bugs?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9206418

chuckl, also prone to arson, bbq pit lighter worx too, honest!
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9206428

LOL, once I had an infestation, so I built a pile of kindling and baited it with pumpkin pie filling. In the morning they were all over it, so i lit it and burned them up. No chemicals, and a little ash for the garden! I've done this several times, and it works great.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9206490

OH KEWL! will have to remember that trick!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9206520

BCH, I love your style!

Shoe (grinnin' big time!)
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9206725

Well shoe maybe I need to try some new squash and mail you some lol.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9206730

[quote="Horseshoe"]BCH, I love your style!

Shoe (grinnin' big time!)[/quote]

Thanks Shoe, this method is great for stress relief; no chemicals needed in the garden, or in the body
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9207039

Hah! Sounds like a win-win situation to me, BCH521!

Thanks for the squash offer, Ernie! I actually have some crookneck sitting on my counter. So far the squash bugs haven't taken the plants out completely (yet). Also have some Tromboncino growing and it seems much more resistant to squash bugs, perhaps because the vines get so big it takes quite a bit of damage to do them in.

Shoe (squash lover looking for a good casserole recipe if someone has one to share!)
janet214
Grass Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9207179

Oh sorry didn't look at the price for pyganic. But once bought I should last a heck of a long time. They want 69.99 for a gallon at peaceful valley...not sure of yor price. Love there web page always have great videos and info www.groworganic.com

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9207420

wistful-your squash lasts long enough to CASSEROLE? mine goes into raw slices for salads, boiled with butter and onion, (I try to avoid fried, but) non breaded and tossed in a hot skillet with sausages, garlic, onions, zukes, (sometimes a mater), skewered on a grill shishkabob with portabella babies, and anything in the fridge or garden... yummmm
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9207496

You're making me hungry, kittriana...

Normally I eat squash pretty much the same way, cooked in a big black skillet with olive oil, onions, garlic, sometimes throw in a few cut up okra chunks, salt and pepper and I'm good to go! Yummy! But in the days when I grew 50 squash plants I'd always have enough for a casserole, mainly looking for a good way to preserve it since I don't really care for frozen squash "as is" and when I can things I prefer to use my time canning beans, pickled okra, and a few jars of tomatoes. (Nowadays I just freeze the tomatoes though, saving a lot of canning time.)

"They want 69.99 for a gallon at peaceful valley...not sure of yor price."

Actually that price is for a quart, not a gallon. And that is the going rate for that amount, Janet. The thing that gets me is it is a concentrated pyrethrin mix, an ingredient usually used alone or with other ingredients and sold at a lesser costs, so I guess getting a less diluted mix is what really jumps the price up.

Shoe (the miser) :>)
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9207729

[quote="kittriana"]wistful-your squash lasts long enough to CASSEROLE? mine goes into raw slices for salads, boiled with butter and onion, (I try to avoid fried, but) non breaded and tossed in a hot skillet with sausages, garlic, onions, zukes, (sometimes a mater), skewered on a grill shishkabob with portabella babies, and anything in the fridge or garden... yummmm[/quote]

Now I need to go pick some for dinner! Making them sound good
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9208015

Shoe I know what you mean about saving your canning time. I just finished up with 24 pints and 24 half pints of king Salmon took all day. Takes 110 minutes
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9208124

Knowing you, Ernie...didja smoke that salmon first? I haven't had any good smoked fish in years.

:>)
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9208246

Next batch gets smoked this one was plain,
LMHmedchem
Boston, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9219402

I don't know if this has been tried around here, but on old gardener and horticulture professor I used to know trapped the insects he found in the green house and put them in a blender with a little water and something else. maybe vegetable oil (I can find out if anyone really want's to know). He then spread the mixture around the plants and it seemed to keep other bugs away. This would definitely be one of those things to NOT try with your wife's new blender, but it could be a good alternative for those who don't like pesticides.

This professor was as old as the hills and had beautiful gardens all over campus and his home. Even though this sounds a bit odd, he really did seem to know what he was doing. Are there opinions out there on this method?

LMHmedchem

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9219944

Yup, othr stuff is cayenne pepper or reasonable sub. One of these old threads has the recipe on it- it does work usually, but then some years the bugs are just too many and tougher measures get used, chuckl

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America