Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: White fluffy, jumping insect

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9201571

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269991/

Today, the critter - in fact two - was noticed sitting on the stalk of my water lily in the pond. I touched it with a stick and it popped! It settled a few feet away on another leaf. I thought it was a curious insect and brought out the camera and I was able to get a few close shots. Wonder what this is. The above link I just now noticed in this forum. Which is mine?

1. This was my first look. I discovered that it was the top view from behind - legs were not seen from this angle.
2. It popped on and found itself on the surface of water from where it easily seemed to walk to a leaf.
3. Side view captured, before I left for my morning ablutions.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9201578

It's a Plant Hopper but I don't know which one. GREAT shots!
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

July 11, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9201610

Several fulgorid families have strange-appearing nymphs. See http://www.nbaii.res.in/Pestsofcrops/images/pyrilla-nymph1.jpg for one in family Lophophidae

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9201625

Thanks kwanjin. In the meanwhile, I had dinner and also got to do a little googling. Then I thought since this is said to be a nymph, of looking into my insect folder and found this 'plant hopper' picture. This was seen in my yard 2 yrs ago. Is this the adult?

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

July 11, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9201740

Wonderful photos Dinu!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9201769

Dinu's pics always delight! ^_^

It is an adult but I don't know if it's the same one.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 1, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9372243

Since no other type of plant hopper was seen in the yard in many years and going by the appearance of its front legs in both the nymph and adult photos I have posted, can we take it as the same one?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America