-
AuthorContent
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9202037

Yesterday my Colocasias were fine, getting big, they looked great. This morning when I went outside, this is what I was greeted with. I have no idea what happened over night!

They weren't dry and have been sitting in the same place since I planted them in late April/early May (I don't remember exactly when.)

I'm sure these leaves are goners, but are the bulbs salvageable? What can I do to save them?

Oh, this makes me very sad :(

Thumbnail by MaryEv   Thumbnail by MaryEv
Click an image for an enlarged view.

smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9202059

Was it very hot?? Mine have had leaves that looked like this is extreme heat and a lack of water.. Some days i water mine 3 times, but its hot here... However as longs the bulbs aren't dried Unless you have spider mites thats the only other thing i can think of that could maybe do this, but if they were fine yesterday i dont think its that.
good luck
jen
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9202109

They looked great through all the 100+ degree days and last night it cooled down to mid/upper 60's. They were not dry and I see no spider mites. It's the strangest think I've ever seen!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9202113

Mary, from a daytime temp of 100 to a nighttime temp of low 60s can be a shock. I keep my calocasias pretty wet all the time. Usually I get new leaves when others die off. Have faith.

Marcia

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9202115

bummer maryev.. :( that would upset me too..
?? did you by chance overfertilize them? i had a neighbour once use a fertilizer
he found and used on his summer squash..they fell apart..only to check..and it was
like 50:20 :50
just a thought..??
i hope the plants come back for ya !!!!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 11, 2012
11:03 PM

Post #9202336

They definitely look like they've suddenly lost water, or were cooked in the heat/sun. You've lost a lot of plant energy there but the tubers should come back. I'd check them all the same to make sure there's nothing 'bugging them'.
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9202372

Thanks everyone. I'll wait till the foliage is completely dead/dry before cutting off and hope they come back. I really don't know what went wrong!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9202547

from what i remember leaves that are dead just take energy from the plant... I say cut all but one or two leaves off, leaving the center one, and wait for the new ones to open.. I've cut all my leaves off a few times through the winter, leaving less then an inch sticking out of the dirt (easier to get rid of spider mites that way) and they are always fine... These plants from my experience are pretty hard to kill, unless they freeze (which i've lost a few to) As longs you give them plenty of water they are happy
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 12, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9202630

I notice some plants in the bed right next to them that are showing burn - did anyone (lawn service, etc.) spray anything on them recently? It looks peculiar that right along the bed edge the plants are burnt along with the Colocasias.
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9202858

LariAnn, the plant behind them are spent and cut sage. Not really burned, just done. But I do think that is what happened to the Colocasias. I think that I burned them with too much food that I was trying to use up...I didn't measure, though I thought I was close (insert eye roll here.)

Well, fingers crossed that they recover. I don't know why, but I just don't have a lot of luck with EEs. I have an A. Amazonica that just week before last, in the crazy storms we had up here, had a much larger plant land on top of it and broke all the leaves off, but one. Sheesh!

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9202986

dont give up on EE maryev.. :) last yr was my worst yr with EE's.. they didnt get huge like they usually
do..only..or mostly because i was starving the poor things.. LOL
these plants bring an exotic..tropical affect to our gardening..
and many of them are..or can be challenging..which for me makes them even more desirable..
:)
good luck to ya !!!!
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9203008

I had 6 new plants i ordered last aug?? sept?? cant remember.. anyways they were small plants and i put them in my homemade greenhouse for the winter... The heater died and it was a few days (im guessing) before i noticed and yep all 6 baby plants died plant bulb ect all turned to mush... So again this year i had to add to my collection... Ears ( alocasias and coloasica havent had the chance to try Xanthosomas yet) are in my top 5 fav plants.. sure they can be challenging at times to get them big, multiply ect.. But i for one love them...
i really hope yours makes a recovery
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9203033

I do love them, too. They are so tropical looking and I wanted something that would get pretty big beside my back door...they do appear to have some new leaf sprouts - I'm hoping they come out healthily.

I cut off all but the middle couple of leaves (one on each plant that has the new leaves coming out of the sides.) I'm optimistic :)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 5, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9509216

Maryev,
Did your plant make it?

Belle
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9509828

Hi Belle, They came back, but not well. They were sort of pitiful and anemic looking and the tubers rotted in the middle. I ended up throwing them away. I'll try again with new tubers sometime.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 6, 2013
3:40 AM

Post #9510033

MaryEv
I find some rotted corms too but if there are portions of it that are firm I cut it off, wash them well and dry them and most of the time I have good luck with them. In fact I left some Maui magic potted outside the whole winter checked it and was rotted. i did what I just told you and now I see growth. Do not throw anything.

Belle
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

May 6, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9510915

Even coating them with a bit of cinnamon powder after cleaning helps.
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9511106

I've just started using cinnamon powder on seedlings. I'll keep that in mind next time!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America