Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Are these wasps aggressive?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seran72
Bozeman, MT

July 11, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9202203

Every year, these guys make nests around my house. The first year, a neighbor came and got rid of them. The second year, I sprayed some myself, felt bad and vowed never to do it again. They're back again this year and I really don't want to kill them, but I have a four year old and they are right out the back door. Can anyone tell me what exactly they are and whether they are aggressive? I would appreciate any information.

This is a photo of one of the nests and a link to a video that shows the actual wasps. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sPV8LABwcA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thumbnail by seran72   Thumbnail by seran72
Click an image for an enlarged view.

seran72
Bozeman, MT

July 11, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9202210

I'm going to see if I can load the video directly to this page.

Didn't work.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 9:14 PM
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

July 12, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9202368

Paper wasps in genus Polistes - these usually are not aggressive, but will defend their nest. I've only been stung when I accidentally disturbed a nest that had been hidden from my view.
seran72
Bozeman, MT

July 12, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9202507

Flapdoodle, thank you! I could not definitively I.D. them using a book I have. But after posting, I found several really good websites online from which I was able to also conclude that they are paper wasps.

Sadly, however, the web sites were all in agreement that I can't leave them near an entrance to my home. Their numbers will continue to grow, they can signal each other to attack and they don't lose ther stingers so they can keep stinging.

They aren't aggressive but eventually my daughter, who adores them, is going to accidentally get them riled up.

I am going to look into having them relocated humanely.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America