Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 9, Views: 172
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9202361

Have you grown Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia from seeds? I wintersowed the commercial seeds in 2010, and they are finally blooming this year but are crowded out by liatris and Shasta Daisies..Do you think it would be safe to transplant them now or should I just wait till Sept. They are not getting enough sun where they are now because of where they are planted.. The seeds I bought from T&M (on sale and they were still overpriced I recall but I thought they were so pretty so I just had to have them!) Would love to know other gardener's experience growing this plant.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9202560

I haven't grown that one, but the middle of summer is probably the worst time to transplant anything (even in a normal year--let alone a year like this one where so many areas are experiencing extreme heat), so unless they're in danger of dying where they are then I'd wait until fall to move them.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 12, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9203086

I think your are right. Thanks for your response and kindness as always. I will wait till mid to late Sept. I was thinking that this plant might be a candidate to take to the Fall plant swap, as well as the Burgundy blanket flower. Have some other ideas for that area for next year.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 7:06 PM
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

July 17, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9209568

I have grown this plant from seed and I did get the cherry brandy color.

This year I bought a plant, since I had no luck with the 1st plant re-seeding. The plant is blooming and it's flowers are rudbeckia "gold" with red tips. That is a real disappointment. I was looking foward to the cherry brandy color...

I am going to try to find another greenhouse that is selling them. I love that color.

Judy
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
2:32 AM

Post #9209746

The jury is out on this one but I've heard others voice the same complaint about it. Disappointment in color..Is this the only reason people haven't liked it?
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9221455

Hi Pippi, I have been away from DG for awhile--working on household updates. Ugh! So, I am late in responding.

I planted R. 'Cherry Brandy' about five or six years ago. It bloomed beautifully for about two years--then, it came back as a very deep gold with maroon tips. I was quite pleased with the color, even though, it was no longer my 'Cherry Brandy'. I also really liked the 'Cherry Brandy' color with big, gorgeous dark maroon flowers. I too purchased my seed from TM. They had this flower on the front of one of their catalogs, and it caught my eye.

I thought the original plant had died, and the seed from the R. 'Cherry Brandy' grew as this beautiful deep gold and maroon tipped petaled flower. The blooms are quite large and showy. This gold and maroon plant has since re-seeded more--very slowly. I now have some of the normal Rudbeckia gold flowers which I am not as crazy about. The blooms are rather puny and the plant is quite small. I will wait a few more years before I pull the newest ones out as we have had excessive heat and a drought all summer. However, I do like the originally planted Rudbeckia's structure and its hardiness. I don't do much to take care of it.

I have a picture of the deep gold and maroon bloom somewhere, but do not have my pictures organized, nor do I know how to really go about getting them organized.
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9221698

I too planted this from seed, from T&M, and they were eye-catchine, but failed to show the second year. Many of the yellow variety still look beautiful, and all these seed were ordered from T&M.
Does anyone have a positive on the" Chery Brandy", and where they got their seed.I would like to establish them.
Also, does the problem stem from cross polination? I don't see how this could be avoided.
I am going to plant the seed from some of the yellow variety, and hope they are true. Mike
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

July 29, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9223087

The first time I grew cherry brandy it was from seed and they were red. They bloomed the next year and they were red, also. Then, I lost them. I did not save the seeds.

I have grown rudbeckia 'cappucino', from seed and it came true. The red was so vivid, they were beauties. They reseeded themselves and I have them again this year.

Thumbnail by obliqua
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9224442

The chery brandy, that I grew was a dark red, and dark around the petles. I am going to try planting some more, and hope they stay. What I am afraid of is, they cross polinate with the common, and yellow, and faise out. Mike
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9231651

The R. 'Cherry Brandy' was the only Rudbeckia I had in my entire yard with no one else growing it around me. So, I don't think it was "cross" pollination at least not mine. I think it resorts back to its "parents".
My plant now looks like the R. 'Cappacinno'. My blooms are quite large.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America