Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Any ideas?

Salisbury, MO

This young bird has been at our jelly feeder where the orioles & other birds congregate. The other day an orchard oriole was feeding it jelly as he did his own off spring. Cannot tell what this bird is, bigger than a sparrow, longer legs and marks on his chest almost like a grackle.

Thumbnail by Jill1989
(Zone 5a)

Yeah, a Brown-headed Cowbird. They are a brood parasite and lay their eggs in other birds' nests. I read somewhere that not often do Cowbirds lay eggs in Oriole nests, but I guess this is an exception. :( At least the Oriole is a bigger bird, so hopefully wouldn't struggle as much as the little warblers that often get cowbird eggs.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto!

Resin

Salisbury, MO

Thanks much, Chillybean & Resin!
I read a few interesting things about cowbirds.
Over 220 other bird species have had to contend with cowbird eggs in their nests.
Females lay as many as 3 dozen eggs a summer. Genetic studies show they are not monogamous. To satisfy calcium needs they eat snail shells and sometimes the eggs shells of other birds. Warblers may build another nest over the cowbird egg. Larger birds may roll the cowbird egg out of their nest.

Thumbnail by Jill1989

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.