Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Blue flowering & good on sunny slopes & drought tolerant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 12, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9202485

Do you have a blue favorite? The terraces are red clay HEAVILY ammended with mushroom compost with superior drainage lots of sun and the plants should be fairly HARDY and tolerant of a little bit of neglect the second year after being established.

I have a LOT of slope to fill and already have plenty of whites, yellow/oranges, and red/purples. LOTS of those. But am leaving spaces for the blues.

For instance:

Russian Sage
Petunias even if they are annuals
Siberian Iris
German Iris
Blue foliage would work too

Any thing you love that could fill in this list? Thanks!

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9203001

I love hardy Agaves like A. parryi and its subspecies. I also love the "annual" Salvia farinacea since it winters over for me. Nepeta 'Walker's Low' or similar (not pictured) could also be nice.

Thumbnail by plantfreak78
Click the image for an enlarged view.

etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 12, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9203026

Ooo, thanks for the suggestions!
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9203527

Maybe Lithodora?

http://www.google.com/search?q=lithodora&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=yXF&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=h7r_T8SFIMHTrQHglcS8Bw&ved=0CFsQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=663
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 13, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9203643

Oh, lithodora is lovely! That's a new one on me but I'm ordering seeds. THANKS, shune.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9207401

I also love Nepeta 'Walker's Low' (and so do the butterflies, bees and, sometimes, hummers) I don't know if I have a good picture, but "Plant Files" should have bunches. I found a plant I thought was very pretty on Bluestone Perennial's "plant finder" by entering some of the conditions you mentioned (they didn't list "slope"). However, I have no personal experience with it.

The link to the picture and info is below, with a link under the photo to enlarge it. It's kind of expensive, though. It happens to be a trademarked plant so I don't know if you can get seeds. If you can wait until Spring, Bluestone starts discounting plants and in May they have a season-end blowout with almost everything on the website at half price!

The "plant finder" is a really good way to find plants by entering your needs. There's no obligation to buy anything. I use it all the time. Sometimes if it's off-season, though, the selection to look at may be somewhat limited.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/ERSB.html

If I think of any others, I'll let you know. I bet it's going to be beautiful when you get it finished!
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 16, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9207502

THANKS, Nuts, , I have 4 of the Walker Lows and like them a lot, foliage and flowers. They are ready to go in the ground in the next couple of days.

If I only had a couple of yard slaves or yard 'bots, I'd have a lot more done a lot faster building terraces. ! Hahaha, but then I wouldn't know where every shovel-ful went and how each bed was made, down to the last grain of soil.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
11:09 PM

Post #9209694

I have extra agave parryi truncata pups if you would like a few.
They are really a nice "grey" color.
How about "hardy blue plumbago"?
I don't grow this one but the other plumbagos I grow are lovely plants.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America