Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Poppy

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Fairlawn
Hastings
United Kingdom

July 12, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9202544

What type of poppy is this please. Red frilled petals with dark mauve inside.

Thumbnail by Fairlawn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 12, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9202546

Papaver somniferum, opium poppy.
Fairlawn
Hastings
United Kingdom

July 12, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9202565

Thanks but does it have a name, growing many Papaver Somniferum but all different like danish flag, cannot find this one.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9202573

Here is one that looks similar: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56550/ But if it's something that was grown from seed it may not be a particular named variety, could just be part of the natural variation in how the species can look.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 12, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9202603

[quote="ecrane3"]Here is one that looks similar: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56550/ But if it's something that was grown from seed it may not be a particular named variety, could just be part of the natural variation in how the species can look.[/quote]

Note the huge variation in flower form in the photos posted, and all claimed to be the same cultivar! This proves the point ecrane3 made that seed from named varieties will not usually come true (i.e. will not have the characteristics of the parent plant).

Fairlawn
Hastings
United Kingdom

July 12, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9202969

Thanks guys for that link, that was naughty nineties poppy a bit fuller, my daughter sent me pic of hers and from that link she has just managed to identify it Drama Queen, and they are on this site lol but I didn't know what I was looking for. I grew mine and hers from seed you are right they are both quite different. Many many thanks for your help, posted photos of both for you to see :)

Thumbnail by Fairlawn   Thumbnail by Fairlawn
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America