Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: Insulation inside cinderblock basement wall - after built

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

July 12, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9202641

The house is already built (1944). The cinderblock basement walls were new (1995 when the new highway forced a move to the back of the property).

We did NOT insulate or fill the cinderblock walls at the time. I do NOT want to cover/insulate inside the basement or outside the basement for a lot of reasons -- expense and bother moving electric, plumbing, washer, dryer, hot water heater, bathtub, interior walls and stairs, or landscaping, etc.

Is there a product to put INSIDE the concrete block walls? There is a 2-by wood face plate on top of the block that could be drilled (with the right tool) and something appropriate could be akwardly poured/sprayed inside the blocks for insulation.

Ideas? Experience?
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9202733

If you are just looking to insulate, there is a product that resembles Styrofoam balls (it may be styrofoam). I've ran acrossed it several times on renovation jobs when I had to drill through the wall. It pours out all over when you drill into the hollow cavity.
I'm not sure of the actual name or where you can get it.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9202895

I doubt it would be measurably better that the dead air space already in there.

but, only a theory. hope someone else chimes in.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9213010

The little round balls is most likely perlite. From what I can determine, filling the cavities with perlite increases the r-value from a little less that 3 to around 9 on lightwieght block walls and from 2 to 4 on heavyweight block walls. Whether that is enough of a gain for the bother is for you to decide. Remember you are going to have to drill a hole every 8 INCHES through the sill plate and then plug it back up.

If it was me I'd re-evaluate putting rigid foam board on the inside of the walls even if I had to skip the places were the wood from interior walls and the stairwell is against the concrete. The wood itself provides more insulation that the whole thickness of the concrete wall. How big a pain moving the wiring and plumbing out an inch or two is going to will depend on how it's mounted. I wouldn't cover either up because I fear that the plumbing would freeze being on the wrong side of the insulation and the wire would over heat being covered up with insulation.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America