Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Root Knot Nematodes

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 12, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9202650

I had a tomato plant that started turned yellow which I diagnosed as Root Knot Nematodes mostly because that is something that has happened in that area of my garden in the past ..Because I had not grown any tomatoes In the area in recent years I thought that I would have starved them out which is one of the reccomended treatments for nematodes...Okay now for my question last year I had a large Rhodedendron die and when I dug it up the roots were all twisted and deformed exactly like the roots of the tomato that I pulled and photographed now have anyone ever heard of the Root Knot nematodes infecting any thing similar to my Rhodie Sorry will need to find the picture then will send
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 12, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9202668

Found the pix so hope someone knows some more about RKNs that I do I know that Hi-Yield at one time made a product that would effectively rid the soil of the nematodes..The botanicals are way to spendy for me as I have lots of room to grow the tomatoes in other spots only I like the way they look in the portion of my backyard that I call the Twisted Sisters garden

Thumbnail by grits74571   Thumbnail by grits74571   Thumbnail by grits74571
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9202684

There are predatory nematodes that one can purchase to kill other nematodes.

I suggest you take the roots into your local County Extention Agent and get your diagnosis confirmed first.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9202763

Your Ag agent should be able to recommend a trap crop as well for the veggie garden. Mine suggested cereal rye, the nemetodes lay their eggs in the roots, but can't escape. In the spring, the turned over rye is good nitrogen source and builds organic matter.
I'm also growing sesame this year, which is another good summer nematode suppressor.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9202857

Root know nematodes are extremely hard to get rid of. Once we got them in our garden (in Alabama) we never got rid of them (tried everything.) Best to not garden in that area and make sure you don't use or move that soil.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 12, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9203063

Let me say that I have researched this thing for quite a long time and I kinda know how to handle them in the tomatoes but I would like Y'alls opinion about the Rhodedendron i dont think I still have the roots but I may not have as I did not want to take a chance on a cross contamination with stuff I dug up from the Rhodie planting site so I removed every bit of the soil from an area at least 2 feet in diameter I know I still have the soil as I piled it in an isolated spot where I do not grow anything will look and see if i still have the roots
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9203625

There is a product called Nematrol that is supposed to supress nematodes naturally. I have not tried it.
Most chemical products (Temik, methyl bromide) were pulled from the market due to very dangerous side effects to humans and the environment.
I have been using neem cake and it seems to be helping but it is very expensive and some brands are not worth buying because they are dirt and sand and very little neemcake.
We also solarize if a section is bad: wet the area, cover with clear plastic, leave covered at least 6 weeks. Kills bacteria, weed seeds, bugs, nematodes but also kills good microbes.

Most soil in the Valley is infested with nematodes and we still grow lots of things.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 13, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9203749

Thanks Callalily i had not thouht about the solarize angle i have used the solar bit to rid parts of my garden of unwanted pest such as yellow nutsedge

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America