Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: I am in MOURNING!!!! Lost 21 kois!!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 185, Views: 1,059
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 12, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9202681

My pond is around 10 years old and had spent a fortune on kois over the years. At first it was not netted and so the herons feasted on them.

We netted it and lost most of it when we lost power on one of a severe storm and so 4-5 years ago i bought 100 babies regular and butterflies and over 30 grew to be beautiful and colorful!!

Some of them were over 20 inches.

We had a storm 2 days ago and last night the pump was running but this morning the power tripped and when I went to feed them this AM a lot were floating. You should have seen me, I ran inside to summon my husband that there is no electricity and that most of my kois are dead!!.
He was nice enough to take the dead ones out before leaving for golf.

It is like losing a pet animal. Do i need to start all over again, buy babies or buy big ones?

What do you do with the dead ones?

My heart is breaking and shed few tears. They were my babies!!!

Belle

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 12, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9202712

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your losses. My wife and I are the kind of people that go into mourning when we lose one of our african cichlids in our tank.

What to do with the dead ones? I would put each one in a plastic grocery bag and freeze them until garbage pickup day. That way, they won't decompose and smell up the property until you can dispose of them. Or, if backyard burning is permitted in your area, I would start big a large fire and cremate them. Anyhow, you still have a few heartaches ahead of you.

Take care,
Sylvain.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 12, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9202808

Found 2 more so it is a total of 23 kois.

Thank you Sylvain

Belle
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9202896

Sorry Belle, I feel this way every time I lose one. We have an 89 acre koi farm 2 hours from here. I want to go see the farm this summer.I am getting ready to put 35 outside.They are gettting way to big for my tanks. Your best bet is to start over with smaller fish, they adapt better to your conditions.. I have gotten really unique and well marked ones at Wally world this year! $4.78 each.

Kyle :-)
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9202905

Oh, Belle, this is so sad - if it were me, I would thoroughly clean the pond before putting any more fish it it. Bury your lost fish under your plants - they will appreciate it and you can 'visit' them every day, because you will see the beauty in the flowers - think of it as organ donation to your plants.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 12, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9202961

I'm with Kay. When I lost all my large koi (only about 8) over the winter I froze each one as I found it in the ice. When the plants were up I buried one beside each of my peonies. Not sure if that was the reason, but they peonies are huge this year. I am so very sorry for your lose.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9203185

Belle

I am so sorry - it is so hard when we lose them. I would bury them in your garden by a special plant as a tribute to them. They are our pets and deserve the best. I too would get some smaller fish as well. You will pay a fortune for a larger fish and the smaller fish grow so quickly. I know that you know, but please don't forget to quarantine your new fish.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9203208

Bellieg,
I don't understand how your koi died so fast. I very often forget to turn pump back on cause I always shut it off to feed them as waterfalls pushes feed down the skimmer. I have never had any die yet. I usually forget at night and when I go out in the AM I turn it back on. Was it a lack of oxygen? Whatever the cause I am truly sorry.

Remember last spring after going to koi show and bringing home desease I lost about 32 5 inch that Mary Merry had given me. I had 4 sick tanks set up etc etc. Then an 18" gold fish jumped out of one of the tanks and I lost that one. I now cover all small tanks with screen. Every morning for a week I'd get up and go out and bury fish. Sure was a sad ritual after a few days but thats the way it goes sometimes. I put all of them in my hibiscus bed. I was told that for various reasons from time to time fish will die which I don't appreciate but try to adjust to. Now when I go out I always look and make sure none are floating.

If I understand your post correctly your pump was only off overnight? Wow now I am really going to make sure my pump is on before going to bed. I told my husb. to always remind me to check it.
Sometimes we have storms here in Fl. that puts elec. out for days. Geeze I sure hope not. We only have 1 generator.
Wish we were closer and I certainly would give you some koi. Hope your near a fish farm.
You may want to disinfect your pond before adding new fish. I completely emptied my old one and washed it with chlorine and rinsed it over and over. Also pressure washed it. By that time I was paranoid about desease.
If you invest in smaller ones you can watch them grow. It doesn't take long.
Whatever you decide to do I certainly wish you good luck with them.
Bonnie

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9203222

It has to be the extreme heat. This would create a problem with oxygen as warmer water has far less oxygen than cooler water.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 12, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9203330

I just arrived from playing golf and I lost 26.

I will probably buy more 2 inch babies. The saddest part is I lost all 4 butterflies which were maybe 20 inches long.

It is devastating because it took 5 years for them to grow that long.
Carolyn, You are right it must be the heat.

Bonnie,
I checked the pump before going to bed and was running.

I will wait till the fall to buy again. I think i have 5 left.

I thank you for your concerns and it helps to have friends who understands.

Belle

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 4:55 AM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9203566

Belle

How were your fish this morning? I am thinking it is going to take time to get the oxygen levels back up to where they were in your pond. Perhaps adding some water will help. I have to believe how you add water, be it from your house or a well or however you do it, that water is cooler and has more oxygen. You may also want to invest in a bubbler for the extreme heat - we run a bubbler when our water temps are in the higher 80's to 90's. I know this wouldn't solve any electrical problems, but I do think the extra oxygen in the long run may have saved some of your koi when the electricity was off.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 13, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9203596

Carolyn,
What are you doing so early???

The few fish that survived appears to be happy. I am withholding food for now.
It is a good idea to put a bubbler and will look for the new one I ordered from AZ ponds. I also have to connect the bubbler in a separate line just in case the pump line trips.

Off to play golf and thank you again for taking time to make me feel better.

Will get in touch with the fish guy and see what he says.

have a good day.

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9203650

Carolyn you got me thinking. Need new temp. gauges to float around in both ponds. It stays in the high 90's here now. Both our ponds feel cool when we step into them. Maybe cause they are both under same big oak tree.
Big pond is now 1/2 full of hyacinths. Do they give off oxygen?? I'll check U of F site.
Everybody warned me about bldg. ponds under an oak and I knew what I was in for with leaf drop but I don't want cooked koi so I will net them both come next fall.
Bad part of electric out front is everything is on one circuit. If one pond goes out everything will.
Husb. said thats the only way he could wire it. Not good.
Belle glad you have some fish left.
Bonnie

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9203655

Belle

so sorry to hear of your devestating fish loss. I think that is a great idea that others have suggested in to plant them by special plants, they give back to you and your garden for all the enjoyment you received from them.

Jan
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 13, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9203918

Belle,
I'm so sorry to hear that! It breaks my heart when the ones we've had for so long...die. I just lost one due to egg impaction. This heat has really taken it's toll this year, so the oxygen levels were probably down quite a bit. I have noticed in the past, that the very large koi can't last long without oxygen. I often worry about losing power due to hurricanes or normal Florida tropical storms, because I know the big ones won't last more than a few hours without air. I already told my husband the generator goes to the pond before us if we lose power!
Again, I'm SO sorry !
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 13, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9203976

Hello All,
Again thank you for your expressions of sympathy. I lost a total of of 26.

Something is going on inside the pond. For the longest time there is one that is not growing. He/she must be only 4 inches and comes from the same bunch.
Any way there are now 3 small ones and I even thought one of my friends came to give me some while I was gone today. This is puzzling!!!

Merry Merry, You are right the big ones are first one to die when oxygen is depleted

We have a generator too and I will tell my husband to connect to the pond in case we lose power.

How many kois do you have in your pond?

Belle

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9203988

Belle

During the week, I am always up early. I have my first cup of coffee in the am with the computer. I try to ease into the day this way.

You said something was goin on in the pond - are you referring to the loss due to the power or something else that has been going on for longer. I do have some fish that are younger and larger than some of the others. I would think if there were no health issues that genetics could wreak havoc with ultimate size.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 13, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9204086

Carolyn,
I have more alive fish than I thought. I saw only 6 yesterday and today I counted 11!!! There was only 1 midgitt Sp and now there are 3!!!

Is it possible for little ones to stay in hiding for months?

I cleared a lot of the tall plants yesterday to make sure that there are not dead ones in between plants.

that is the mystery!!

Belle
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 13, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9204543

I had my pond emptied and cleaned one year. I thought I had lost all mu fish. then a week or so later three showed up. They had hidden in some deep caves in my pond.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 14, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9204647

Good morning,

So it is possible that some babies survived or made it from previous spawning but I did not see them for months!!! I now have 4 small ones.

This incident took a lot from me, it drained me and I could not even concentrate on my golf game the last few days.

I have to move on.

Belle

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9204974

Belle moving on does not mean that you have forgotten them. I know it must be hard and very shattering, but as with nature, life does go on. Here's to being able to rebuild your fish pods and to enjoying them once again.

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9205034

Belle

Jan is so right. We move on but do not forget. I lost 2 of my favorites last year - one had a tumor that exploded (that one was bad...) and another that was one of my first koi that I had had for 11 years at that point. We move on but do not forget.

Yes, you could still have more fry hiding that you don't know about. It seems like they are more social or less afraid to show themselves when they are older. You may see some next year that you didn't know you had.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 14, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9205058

Losing 26 is hard for me and misses the butterflies.
The 3 other small fish must have been fry from last year. Is that possible?
I must have visited the pond 10 times already today and they seem very happy. I also got rid of a lot of plants .

I plan to order babies from a guy in Florida.

Happy ponding !!!
Belle

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9205061

Where in FL Belle? if you don't mind sharing.

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9205216

Belle

They may very well be fry - so you have something from your babies to remember them.

I know MerryMary deals with a reputable koi dealer in Fla - don't know if it is the same one, but you may want to dmail her.

Carolyn
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9205237

Belle,
I have bought fish from Sandy Acres Koi Farm and so far they have all been healthy. I drive there once in a while and pick them out and take them home. Owners are Pat & Joe 6633 W. Dunklin St. Dunnellon Fl. 34433 Open 9:30AM to 4:30PM. Tel 352-564-0373. www.sandyacreskoifarm.com.

I think they will ship and if not I'm sure they can tell you who does as they have been in bus. 20 yrs.
There are loads of others here that raise and sell koi. Mary buys from Ebay which I have never needed to try. Most of my koi have been gifts.
Next Wed. we are going to a friend of my sons that wants to give me all his butterflys which makes me very happy. He doesn't like them like the straight sided ones. I like them better.

Glad you got some babies left. Didn't realize they could hide that well. Smart little buggers.

Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 14, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9205404

Jan,

I have to check my address book who sold me babies few years ago. I had good luck with them. They were mix, bought 100 and split it 3 ways with friends.

Carolyn,
This small ones are about 4-6 inches and wonders where they were hiding!!

Bonnie,
I will check the website .

I am jealous, I miss my butterflies and they are more expensive if I buy a decent size.

The 4 butterflies that died were yellows and cream colored.

Belle

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9205434

Bonnie

thanks for that link, they are a doable distance from me, so I've bookmarked their site, for later on when I do get a pond going...

Thanks Belle for taking time to find your info, no hurry here, just when ever you get around to it.

Jan
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9213508

How big is your pond? Gallons vs surface area? Oxygen exchanges into the water weather you have a pump running or not. Your pond should not be 100% dependent on the pump running.. if it is, you have too many fish for the size of the pond. Yes, if the water is waaay too hot it does not hold as much oxygen but it has to be really warm to kill all your fish that fast when the pump goes out if you have a sizeable pond. Think about transporting fish in a plastic bag from the store.. you are able to put quite a few fish in a small amount of water into a closed plastic bag. As long as you supply a large air supply in the bag also.. they do not die quickly. I have a feeling there is something wrong in the pond that was keeping the pond stable by the pump... maybe gasses being put off from the bottom. Add a little hydrogen peroxide to the water to increase oxygen level in the water... some algea growths will decrease the oxygen content in the water and the h2o2 will increase the oxygen content and help kill off some of the algae if it is there... I have done this and it did not hurt my fish.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9213707

Tammie

Larger fish are affected sooner from lower oxygen levels in a pond than smaller fish - there is something to your analogy, however, if you have several fish in the bag you are bringing home from the fish store, then you are dealing with smaller fish.

I agree that hydrogen peroxide will add oxygen to the water - however, when this happened to Belle, they were all sleeping. One thing that we have done when oxygen levels have been low in our pond because of power outages, is to take an oar and run it back and forth through the water to help create more oxygen in the water.

I think a large part of Belle's problem was the high, high temperatures they have been having, coupled with the fact that she had some larger fish. When she lost power, her oxygen levels were already low because of these two factors. Couple that with no electricity - you also lose your filtration.

I did look up the oxygen versus water exchange because of the indications in your posting. Elevation plays a factor in this as well - the article also mentions that warmer water holds far less oxygen than colder water - I don't know what temps Belle's pond has been, but I do know that mine has been about 80 degrees and last year, it spent a longer than normal period of time in the 90's.

Thirty fish is a lot of fish in a pond and there are several different trains of thought on that - so many inches of fish to so many gallons of water. Also, so many fish per so many square inches of surface area and lastly - if one has a large fish load and has the extra filtration, then one should be fine.

What should really happen, and I think probably most of us do not have this scenario - myself included, is to have a generator hooked up to a main circuit to our pond pumps, so that when the power goes out, the generator kicks in.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9213754

We have a new generator never been turned on but if power goes off our freezer will get it first as we have a years worth of beef in there. I told DH we need to buy another generator and he just smiled but I think he would cause he has gotton attached to the fish now himself.
He is slowly working on little pond shack Carolyn. I haven't been outside much for a week. My BP is too high and the heat sure doesn't help me any. It will get done eventually. Fish are all in new pond and ones in old pond have loads of room now. Just goldfish and a couple of koi in old pond.
I have no additional oxygen on either pond. Just waterfalls in one and waterfalls & fountain in the new one. I'm going to order some oxygenator plants. If hyacinths give off oxyg. then new pond has plenty. Boy the fish sure love those plants to hide in play in.
Took some pics today. Will post them on my pond in progress thread.
Bonnie
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9213855

Bonnie, will you give us a link to where you put those pictures?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9214183

"so many inches of fish to so many gallons of water."

I can see that this would be right, as when we had goats or horses, there is a so many rule, 1 horse to 1 acre, 6 goats to 1 acre... so why not with fish.

Belle, hope you are feeling better and on the road to recovery and that your remaining fish are doing well for you.

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9214447

Don't know if link address is one in search bar but anyhow they are near end of thread on my Pond In Progress one. Pics aren't wonderful but you know fish keep moving.
Hope you find them and enjoy.
Bonnie
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9214475

Here's the link - the fish pictures are near the very bottom - WONDERFUL job, Bonnie!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263354/
Irish710
Mount Dora, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9217654

Belle, I hurt for you. I've lost my share of koi, too. I was willing to start you off with a few of mine not so small koi, except your too far away. I've stayed up all night during power failures circulating water and I bought a generator the next morning. Another time after a pump went out, we found our fish piping at the surface. So my husband had this idea. We ran a separate heavy duty 1/4 inch line air pump to the pond and q-tanks. The pump is hooked to a completely separate circuit then any other pond equipment. We have 6 dedicated circuits to our pond. One circuit has only one outlet for the air pump. Mine is outside in an approved electrical box with a lock on it.
(Problematic neighborhood kids)
We try to think of every scenario and yet things still happens. Please remember the best times. When you first hand fed a koi. When you actually could pet one. Or when your IN cleaning the pond they are making total pest of them selves.

I also just a MAJOR incident +/-2 months ago and I'm still not ready to talk about, yet.

BTW: Most of my koi are 10+ pounds and 24+ inches. A rule of thumb I heard some time ago was 250 gallons per large fish. Some people believe that is a minimum and prefer 500 gallons. I believe the type of equipment you run determines your fish load. I prefer the 250 gallon "rule".

Thumbnail by Irish710   Thumbnail by Irish710   Thumbnail by Irish710
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 25, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9217722

Irish,
Wow!! How many fish do you have? all my butterflies are gone. I plan to but babies in the fall.
We too have a new generator, It is still in the box and I hope DH knows how to put it together in case of emergency.
I hope you are getting better from the incident that you are not ready to talk about it.

Jan,

I am getting better everyday, pain meds are every 5-6 hours instead of every 4=5 hours.I thank you for asking.

I am taking things a day at a time and trying to be patient which I do not have much of.

Belle

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9218044

Belle, I hear ya on the patient part of things. LOL when I had foot surgery years ago, oh my goodness it was the longest 6, 8 weeks to go with crutches that I ever went through.

Irish that is a LOT of fish, wow...

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9218359

Irish,
Your fish are lovely. I have seen those pics before. Were they on U-tube? I remember because I was surprised that they would eat watermelon.
Bonnie
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9227679

Belle-I am so sorry to read about your Koi deaths. I don't come to this site very often but a few years ago I felt like I lived here at this website, with all the koi dying at my house my first year ponding.

Now I am into it about 4 years (or is it 5?) and even with 100 degree weather I could turn everything off for a few days and not worry about deaths. I lost power this summer for three days and no problem. If I turn my pump off or having trouble with it I will usually just run my air (commercial air pump) and the fish are happy and they enjoy going into the skimmer box (crazy fish). When I lost power I was worried but my pond guy assured me that at a depth of 5.5 feet deep with lost of caves they should be fine and they were. I have a few fish that are approx 25-30 inches long with the majority of them being in the 15-20 inches range. My pond is 5000 gallons. with a bottom drain.

BTW: ALL koi love watermelon. Some will eat rasberries and strawberries and blueberries (they are like dogs aren't they?) Mine will even eat tomatoes cherry tomatoes and one koi will eat cucumber. Of course the orange and white ones are the hungriest and most aggressive feeders and will try anything before any of the others.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9229438

Linda - do you think it is the fact that you have the caves that allows the oxygen to stay in the water? 5.5 feet is deep and I know the water would be cooler down deeper on the water, thus cooler water retaining more oxygen.

Belle - how are you feeling? Have you been able to get around any better?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 4, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9229480

My pond deepest part is only 4 feet.
Carolyn,
I thank you for remembering me Carolyn. I am feeling much better, stitches came out last Wed and the incision is very clean but still swollen. I am going back to see him in 4 weeks and if the x-ray is OK I will then have a walking casts. This cast somehow is heavier, added 1 roll of plaster. I have purple instead of orange. LOL!!! I take pain meds only three times a day now and no wonder he prescribed a lot.

I went out today and had breakfast near the pond. I have a walker with wheels and a wheel chair when we go out.I still stay down stairs because it takes a long time to go upstairs.

DH harvested figs today and will make preserves to sell to fund the health in the fall.

Stay cool !!

Belle
Irish710
Mount Dora, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9229531

Hi Belle and Bonnie, I've been out actually getting some work done. So Belle, How are you doing? Where are you at with your pond? I guess not far if you've been ill. Bonnie, The only place I've posted my koi (that I can remember) was on the Koi Vet site. A lot of expenses came to a halt with 2007/2008. My pond is still in temporary state or not yet finished. It's 6000 gallons, with a bottom center drain, and a de-gasser/oxygenator.
To add to the koi diet are tangerines, spinach and greens. Tadpoles, frogs and other larger things that fall into the pond. Detail upon request.
Back to work.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9229669

Belle - sounds as if you are mending well. I am so glad you were able to have breakfast by the pond. My favorite time is my morning coffee out by the pond - I tend to go through withdrawal during the winter. Feel better soon and make hubby wait on you. I know I tend to feel odd when I have people waiting on my, unless I am in a restaurant.

My pond is also 4 feet at the deepest, but I don't think we have been has hot here as you have been in VA.

Feel better soon.

Irish - when do you think you will have your pond completed? Is this in addition to a pond that is already up and running? Wondering where your koi are if you are renovating. We would love to see some pictures as well on this site and we can always try to help with health issues...

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9232405

Belle it is good to hear of your positive progress to return to full walking health.

Jan
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9232689

My koi are in my pool while renovating. Not a good summer to not have it for human use! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #9260083

Belle

How are you feeling? I keep thinking about you. Are you able to get around more?

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 31, 2012

Post #9260516

Carolyn,
Thank you for thinking of me. It had been a very trying time for me being so independent and staying at home a lot is depressing. I use my walker inside the house and has calluses on both palms.
DH golfs almost everyday but he makes sure I have enough food nearby.

In 6 days I get an X-ray and if everything is OK then I get a walking cast for 2 weeks then PT.
Have a nice weekend.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9261075

Belle

Sounds like you are getting very bored. At least you are able to get around some. I would probaby be on the phone driving all my working friends nuts. I know I did that years ago when I was pregnant and on bedrest. My BFF was always decent about it, but I know I drove her nuts at work.

We are always here if you want to keep posting. I'd love to see some fish and garden pictures - do you have some to share with us?

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9261278

Belle,
I am still praying for your GOOD recovery. If you have any soft thick fabric; you may want to wrap and tape it to you walker handles. 1/4" foam which is available at any Walmart is good. I wraped my crutches handles years ago cause I got big blisters. Of course I have a lot of bottom baggage to haul around and it sure didn't help.
Take care and keep progressing. We are all routing for you.
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 6, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9266640

Good morning to all my ponding friends!!!

Up early and energy level is high!! Why??? I am om steroid, 3 months ago I had some kidney stone blasted on my right kidney. Some bacteria showed on my urine on my Urology visit so they started me on Microbid and on my 4th dose I developed severe allergy that my face got swollen and itch all over with hives. My lips were swollen 4 times. Took benadryl with little results so my GP prescribed some prednisone. this happened during labor day which the pharmacy that I use was closed. DH went to Walgreen, had to pay for the drug because they lost there contract with Tricare.. I am feeling much better !!

My cast came off yesterday and the fracture line does not even show according to my surgeon. I have to use a below knee boot and I am walking still with a walker because it still hurts when I step on the affected foot.I start PT next week .

I rewarded myself with a home service manicure pedicure and boosted my spirits!! LOL!!!

I want to thank you for your care and patience during my ordeal and your you had been nice!!! It feels like we are friends for a long time.
I would like to visit your ponds the next time we are in Orlando area.

My warm regards to all of you!!

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9266699

Belle - that is wonderful news. One quick thing to help keep the stones away, cut a fresh lemon into wedges and squeeze one or two into your iced tea or a glass of water. There is something about the lemons that combats the stones. I learned this from a friend who's husband had problems with kidney stones and this was something his doctor told him to do.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9267443

Good for you Belle, a little pampering never hurt anyone. Glad you are making such good progress.
Anytime you are in Orlando area you have to come see us ponders. I am just 23 miles from Orlando. If you play any of Disneys courses we are not far from there.
You will be back banging that golf ball around again soon. Keep your chin up.
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 15, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9275789

Hello!!!
I am reading all your post and such a friendly group.

My cast is off last week and has a below knee walking boot, had 2 PT;s already and doing bikes for muscle strengthening since I lost some tone on mt left leg and thigh.

i was there for 1.5 hours yesterday and I was in tears because they got me walking with my sneakers and it was still painful. It was all in my mind because i was afraid of falling but I got a belt and 2 personnel with me.I also learned how to use the single crutches which i am mastering with my boot.

MY therapist told me that I should be walking without aid by early next month. DH does some PT at home.Ebjoy the rest of summer.

Belle

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9276134

Glad your bouncing back so well. Keep on keeping on.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9276211

Sounds like you are on the mend Belle. So glad to hear that.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9276480

Belle, thanks so much for the update, so glad it is off so you can begin the road back to walking again. Sorry to hear about the pain, that is the down size, but soon that too will be a distant memory. I've heard that the fear of falling gets to some at first, but if you trust your PT folks, then make sure to let them know of your fear they will help you through it, you aren't the only one with that feeling.

Keep us posted.

Jan
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 22, 2012

Post #9282846

Good morning!!!
PT is very aggressive and doing more, 1.5 hours twice a week. I do not know when I will be pain free!!
DH does some PT on the incision line because of adhesion. I lost muscle on my ankle as well as my whole leg so the incision is adhered to the bone. Does it make sense? LOL!!!

They got me walking with out crutches in my heavy boot and expect me to use it while I am inside the house. I am allowed to use crutches when i go out but if DH id around he is accessible to help me.

I am still on ibupropen three times a day.

The flexion on the ankle is still off and will be awhile before I am normal again
t.

We are supposed to play golf next month in Las Vegas but DH will be the only one playing.

I thank you for your emotional support.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9282936

Belle

sounds like slow but definitely making progress. I would do everything the doctors tell you to do. I am still doing PT exercises they gave me for my lower back 5 years ago and I know if I don't do them, it causes me pain and stiffness through out the day.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you should try your luck at the slots or blackjack tables if you can't be on the golf course.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9296271

Geeez...Had killer lightening storms this evening. They rolled in just as I was finishing up backwashing one of my ponds. When my husband came home he said he could hear something in the back yard. I went out to check and a hose had come off of the pond (that's what I get for rushing around and not doing a good job) It had completely drained the pond. In the 2 hours between cleaning the filter and finding it bottomed out, I lost 23 koi. Hopefully the rest will survive. I think I'll make my morning coffee extra thick before looking in the morning (just to be a little bit brave!) :-/ ugh...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9296360

MM -

Let us know - I would be just sick. You may want to put a bit of kahlua into your morning coffee.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 5, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9296410

Merry merry,
i feel for you , it is an awful experience!!1am thinking of you!!!

Belle

This message was edited Oct 6, 2012 4:48 AM
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9296573

Thats awful. Would you like some koi back? They have grown and look great.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9296849

Oh Goodness Bonnie NO!! :)
I'm fine...
It's just terribly annoying to know that you can give them the best high protein food, keep an immaculately clean pond, have outstanding water quality, buy high end koi from reputable breeders, quarantine...and all it takes is one broken pipe or hungry heron, to completely humble you... sheesh...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9296862

MM

It happens to all of us from time to time. That is one reason we have each other on these forums.

I am so sorry this had to happen - how many fish have you lost?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9297145

23 total...Nothing I can do about it...Of course I checked all the hose lines about 400 times today anyway!
Spitzkopf
Nooksack, WA

October 5, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9297194

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Mary, wish I could help.
I found one of mine in the early summer that had jumper out of the pond and flopped around in the flowers till I found him covered in mud and no movement or breathing. I would guess he'd been out 30 min to an hour or longer. I washed him off in the pond, cleaned the mud out of his gills and administrated CPR . You know it actually worked. There was a little flip of the tail, kept forcing water in his gills and he finally swim away. Not fast and ended belly up or on his side several times for the 1st day them recovered pretty good. Now as strong as ever but a little less daring.

Tom

PS: My Lesson learned from your disaster - Design new pond to be fail safe.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 6, 2012
2:51 AM

Post #9297221

MM,
Been thinking of you and you remember this happened to me few months ago. O lost 26 total and all the butterflies are gone. i do not have a single butterfly.

I wish I can do something for you.

How many is left?

Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9297267

I have my larger ones still, they were in my swimming pool waiting for the new pond to someday be finished. These were my smaller 6-14 inch fish. All of them were butterfly, either ginrin scales or doitsu. Very pretty ones. Once the new pond is finished, I was going to sell off some of the very large ones with standard fins and replace them with some of these beauties. Back to the drawing board!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9297397

Tom - I have tried the koi CPR myself and it does work if you get the fish in time. I am assuming you are talking about drawing the fish backwards through the water to force the water through the gills? It made me feel so good when I was able to do that.

MM - We had that problem a number of years ago with hose blowing off the pump, however we were able to catch it after only about 1/3 of the pond emptied out. Since then we had a fear of the pond emptying if we were out of town. What we did was to pull all of the pumps about 10-12" off the bottom of the pond, with the exception of the largest pump in the skimmer. If something happens, then yes, we lose the pumps, however we still have enough water in the pond to sustain life.

We also have a large bubbler for a 7000 gallon pond in the deep end, so when we go away, the bubbler is on and the large pump in the skimmer is turned off and the smaller pumps in the pond are left running. So far, knock wood, this has worked for us. I don't know how many pumps you have running in each pond, but the idea may work for you -

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9297426

Not sure why you all would have so many pumps running in one pond. All we have is one in each pond and they are down inside of skimmers. Talked to husb. about it cause now you all got me worried and he said no way could pond be completely emptied cause water wouldn't go down lower than pump intake if the hose did blow off. I put them on with hose clamps pretty tight. All other plumbing is heavy duty PVC buried in ground.
Also asked him if knew what fish CPR was and he said same thing you said. Pull them backwards in water to force air into gills. Thanks for the lesson. I do have one that we named Jumper and it wouldn't surprise me to find it in the plants sometime. If I get to it in time will try your method.
What a wonderful help this forum is.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9297453

Bonnie

We have a total of 4 pumps running in the pond. We have 3 waterfalls and then a small pump that runs through the bog for filtration. Your husband is correct that the water wouldn't lower any further down than the pump, however if the pump is sitting on the bottom of the pond, then you would only have about 2-3 inches of water. That wouldn't be enough water to keep my koi alive. What does concern me is that DH has said in the next pond he wants to go to 1 pump, but I don't think he has been remembering that we need at least 2 pumps so we don't have this problem. We do have a back up pump that I suppose we would use if we go on vacay.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9297662

Yes, in my normal ponds, the pumps are a bit off the bottom, but while I'm under reconstruction, things aren't the norm...SO in this case, the pump is just sitting on the bottom...it was the drying out of their gills that couldn't let me do fish CPR on them. I've seen fish come back from the dead if their gills stay moist and can take in oxygen, but it just couldn't happen in this case.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9297850

OK Carolyn, now i understand why you need all the pumps. My pumps have water going into the top which is high up inside of skimmers. Don't know exactly how to explain but if pipe came off of pump and it was still running only place it could go is back into pond. If electric went out and couldn't pump and water did go down it would still leave over a foot of water in the pond. Hope I make some sence. Which sometimes I don't. I'm to the point where I really don't want to loose fish and have to start over from scratch.

MM, I am sorry this happened and the offer still goes for some koi for you. I told Jeff and the first words out of his mouth were we have to take her some fish Mom. Don't think he knows you have some others. I am so glad it wasn't your large ones.
Have you started digging new pond?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9297904

I have to 2 "hard" sides of the pond done. (Cement block) The other 2 will be softer sides of wood, similar to bulding a deck. The upper pond will look like it's all a part of the whole thing, with a water fall under the walkway bridge, into the larger pond, but it will be an optical illlusion...and actually be 2 separate ponds. So no, I haven't started digging (which must be done by hand, no equipment) but I have the walls in, and the grass removed. Because I have to dig by hand, I'm not sure what to do with the dirt. I'm trying to build yard perimeter planter boxes, to accept some of it. I live in a subdivision, so I can't just move it "somewhere" ...and because of the zero side yard, I can't get a kubata or small scoop into the back yard to dig any of the dirt and dump it in a truck.
Jeff is so sweet...please tell him I'm fine, bummed but fine. No worries...
It was actually weird this morning when I threw the fish food in the little pond...I always take the same amount, and forgot only half the amount of fish were in there...then I had to scoop food out, they just couldn't eat it all. Habit I guess! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9298976

Never have seen zoning that had zero lot line. There is a very small Bobcat with bucket that I thought might get in there. Geez thats really hard to dicard all that dirt. I can remember moving dirt away from a site with 5 gal. buckets. No fun but I got er done.
Maybe a FREE DIRT sign in front would get neighbors to come take some to make flower beds in their yards. Don't laugh, need to get creative here. Just tell them to bring their wheelbarrows.
We have had excavators stop here and want that big pile of dirt in our side yard and Charlie won't let them have it cause they sell it and he uses it to fill bull holes in pasture or any place else its needed.
Offer to help still stands. I could try and recruit my grandsons also but football may be an obstacle. Not for me I don't play. LOL
Just let me know.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9299023

You are are the kindest sweetest person! As we say, here in West Orange County, you get an extra gem in your crown in heaven!

We have a trailer (it's a closed trailer) but we thought maybe if we borrowed wheelbarrows, we could do maybe 6-8 at a time, haul them away...dump them...make a round trip...etc/etc/etc...over and over...and just get some of the dirt out of here. Some can go in my planters, but some will just have to go elsewhere...It's very clean dirt, so anyone can use it, but it's just a matter of getting it out of here.
I can dig it...I just need someone else to drive the wheelbarrow...for some reason I am the world's WORST wheelbarrow driver EVER! I tip them, crash them, roll them...it's just sad...embarrassing and sad...
There are only a couple of things I simply can NOT do...1) make jello...2) make chocolate chip cookies (although I am a serious upper level cook/baker...and 3) drive a wheelbarrow...

who knew? lol
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9299250

MM,
Just bought one of those garden carts that tip out load cause my wheelbarrow completely wore out. We have Charlies old PU truck that we could haul dirt away with.
There is ALWAYS A WAY we just have to explore possibilities.
Call me and we will set up a day to dig and remove soil.
You have waited so long and been patient much better than I am.
Just have marked out on ground where you want dug out and we will go at it.
I'm not what I used to be but I can keep going longer than most 30 yr. olds. especially now that its getting cooler. We were digging in high heat.
LETS GET ER DONE.
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 8, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9299352

Bonnie,
What a TROOPER you are and with a BIG HEART too!!!

Enjoy your good deed!!! God Bless you!!!!

MM,
I hope you say YES!!!

Belle
weidner
Merchantville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012

Post #9299668

RE: dead Koi
My pond is 10 ft x 15 ft. Deepest part is 2'6" --- which is kinda shallow, I know.
The koi / goldfish population is/was 27 (until the herons hit last spring!
This summer, the air temp here in So. Jersey (near Phila) peaked at 104 degrees.
The only Koi that I lost was 24" long and weighed 14 lbs at the beginning of summer.
We called him Brutus. I had been offered $5,000 for him in early spring, and then I found him floating belly-up in August. The only change was in the diet: I ran out of Tetra pellets and, following advice of some other Koi people, I fed the pond a few handsful of Cheerios. The next day he was a bit sluggish. Day 2 he was bloated. Day 3 he was dead. None of the other fish were affected.
By the way: In response to those who lost fish when the electric went off and the pump died: with all our 20+ fish, without any plants or lilies, in spite of the shallow pond (2'6"), in spite of the high daily temperatures, we have never before lost fish except now --- AND we do not keep the pond aerated and have only one small 250 gph pump that circulates the water.(it used to be the bilge pump in our boat)

Thumbnail by weidner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9299705

weidner so sorry to hear about the lost of your big boy...

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9299718

Weidner

I am very so sorry for your loss. I have many questions... please bear with me.

Typically the larger koi will be affected by the loss of oxygen before the smaller koi. How many gallons is your pond? I see that you have some foam in the picture you have posted - when was the picture taken? I am judging from the foliage it was sometime during the summer?

How many gallons do you have? Do you have a bottom drain? How do you keep the pond clean with 250/gph? Wondering what your normal routine is...how many gallons is your pond?

What are you doing to ward off the herons at this point? Also, with that many koi and goldies - I have to believe they are breeding all over the place - what are your thoughts in regards to the over population?

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9299779

Weidner,
I feel bad you lost Brutus. Stuff happens. I don't feed my koi anything but high quality koi food. I have been tempted to give them some greens from my garden but was afraid to chance it I have read others give koi cereal but not me.

Your pond must be around 2,500 gals or more so you don't have fish overload. Now herons those buggers are a different story. They think they are spear fishermem.

Do you test your water for amonia, nitrites & nitrates, I learned the hardway amonia will knock them dead in no time. Clear water is not necessarily quality water. I see bubbles on your water so I'm guessing you have a waterfall that aerates water. Thats what I have plus a small fountain but I'm considering an aerator as here its so hot oxygen gets depleted faster. I do run a 3,500 GPH pump down inside a skimmer in both ponds. I've got a long stretch for water to get to waterfalls so I need it.

How old is your pond? I'm guessing if you had a fish that large it is a few years old. Sounds to me like Brutus and cheerios didn't get along. I've lost many fish for many different reasons so you are doing very well and hope you won't be discouraged.

I certainly appreciate you posting the info. about cheerios. Thank you.
Bonnie

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9300093

I often feed my koi cheerios (not honey nut or any of the other flavors) just plain old cheerios. When the water gets cool, it seems to even be a better food than high protien foods. Cheerios and green peas have always been a safe bet when it's time to back off of the higher protein foods. I've never had a problem with either.
I'm suspecting a low oxygen level, due to the high temps and fish load, and not the cheerios. Here in Florida, where the temps are quite often higher than normal, we deal with a lot of low oxygen level issues. I'm sure it's much more rare in your area, but due to the odd weather you had this year, I think it may have snuck up on you.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9300099

(and Bonnie...) I'll be contacting you soon...not for your offer of labor...but just to hook up and spend an hour with your cheery little self! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9300296

I think there was an oxygen crash in Weidner's pond as well. I know looking back - there were times with my pond having oxygen crashes. My pond is quite a bit deeper and I don't have the fish load.

I am also wondering about the 'foam' on the pond. I know that can indicate problems with oxygen in the pond water. - http://www.pondcrisis.com/a_oxygen.html

When the pond water reaches the upper 80's to 90's, I have typically stopped feeding my fish - I know there was one summer, I contacted you MM, because I was worried about going without feeding my fish for a long period of time as my water temps were in the 90's for quite some time several summers ago.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9300569

MM,
My cheery little self would be glad to help you. Thats the least I can do in return for all the fish you have given me. Besides I get a kick out of building most anything.
I'm anxious for you to see blue boy/girl. Now I think its a girl because of the well rounded body and it really has grown. It's straight sided but still beautiful. You know I'm a butterfly lover at heart.
Got my back garden all tilled yesterday and now researching fence to keep rabbits out. Last year we lost everything to those little buggers. They are living in Charlies barn down in between those big roles of hay. In all our years of gardening here never had problems with them before. Go figure.
Tangerines are on tree and should be ripe around Jan.
I now have a pair of tufted titmous birds out on one feeder. They are cute little critters.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9301723

Finally figured out why we have rabbits and never before. Cat died. He used to lay in the garden and nothing ever went near there.
Anybody got a mean cat that would smack my dog enough to make her leave it alone. She loves to chase cats but old cat after a year straightened her out and they became BFF.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9301778

Bonnie - I am sure there are a number of ktties that could use a good home. ^_^

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9301855

We have tried but when we brought them home they took one look at Sadie and took off and we never could find them. And thats not good. My dogs not mean but she wants to chase them and her rough way of playing scares them off. If a cat and dog are raised tog. from both being young then their fine. Maybe a fence will help I hope.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9301860

Bonnie

I used to feed the bunnies here. They got quite tame, but the dog from across the street killed them. I felt so badly - I often wondered if I had not fed them if they would have stayred more skiddish and would have lived longer. Although I enjoyed feeding them and getting close to them - I won't do that again.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2012

Post #9302204

I have a free kitty for you! It's a calico and lives (only for now) out on my deck. She's used to being around a fish pond and chases lizards!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9302256

My dog caught a baby bunny and all she did was bring it to me. Didn't hurt it which I thought was rare.

Mary,
We are trying to think of a way to keep Sadie away from a kitten until it gets used to being here and that isn't easy. Charlie loves cats so we don't want to see one aggrevated. Appreciate your thought. If we could find a cat that had been raised with a dog that would probably work.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9310421

Belle - How are you feeling? I am thinking you have more mobility now than you did.

Weidner - anything new on your pond?

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 20, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9310433

Carolyn,
We are in las vegas for a College reunion so i will post when i get home. I am in pain a lot but i am taking heavier pain meds. I might go for acupuncture next month.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9310445

Belle

Win some for me! DH always comes back with more than we went with when it comes to the casinos. I wish I knew how he did it!

Have fun and a safe trip home. I am hoping your pain subsides soon.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 14, 2012
3:27 AM

Post #9332728

Good morning,
Our Las Vegas trip was fun and there were 25 College friends and there husbands. We all decided to go to an Alaskan cruise in 2014.
there are 3 classmates who live in Vegas so we had lunch at there houses which was a lot of fun. It must have taken them days to prepare for the meals.
Few of them gamble but I don't, gave some money to a close friend for the slot machine and in few minutes it as gone. It was $30.00!!! I can think of few things I could have bought. LOL!!!

Some are heavy gamblers and lost thousands. Not Me!!

DH off course played golf 4 times so we did not even go watch shows, we had been to Vegas few times before. I was a passenger and had a good time just watching the men he played with. All good players!!

As far as my ankle, I went to see my surgeon last week and i graduated from my walking boot. Yayyy!!!! I am still in a lot of pain , takes pain med 3 times / day, PT is 2 times / week and doing a lot of stretching. I can not go to the range but not golf yet.

Hope your pond/ fish are problem free. Been busy helping bring plants into the garage. DH brings only few plants into the house.

Take care and may you have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9333595

Belle

You sound great and like you are well on your way to putting all of this nasty accident behind you. I am glad -

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9334248

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL.
BONNIE

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9336986

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here.

Jan
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9337457

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone too... I am back in the no fish boat! My fill valve stuck the other night and filled with city water... killed my fish! I will not replace until the spring. They were about 2 1/2 years old. It usually just fills a tiny bit at a time so the chlorine in it does not bother them but too much will kill them... this happened before... I usually watch carefully and notice if the water is looking too clear and add chlorine remover... not this time. I feel terrible for letting this happen to them. I usually keep the water turned off but forgot. My bad!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9337468

Don't be to harsh on yourself. We have all had mishaps and I'm sure I'm not over with them yet. Keeps us on our toes. When I think I've remembered to do all things right I seem to invent something I shouldn't do. Thats main reason I'll never have thousands of dollars tied up in fish. Too easy to loose them.
Take care and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9337552

[quote="BonnieGardens"] We have all had mishaps and I'm sure I'm not over with them yet. Keeps us on our toes.
Bonnie[/quote]

Boy, is that ever an understatement. I think back and I think when we were first starting with the ponds - I think we lost more fish to oxygen crashes
than anything else. Yes, it is a learning experience and at the time we did not know better. DH and I both felt awful and were so totally frustrated. It takes time.

One thing that has helped - I have set up my pond journals here on DG. I am not sure how much space they give to an individual, but I have found that settting up a new journal for every year helps me to remember. Check out the journaling. It doesn't cost anything extra.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9338863

I'm guilty of the "just going to top it off" syndrome of leaving the hose in the pond and fogetting about it...only to come back to a pond of dead fish.
I try to be much better about it and refuse to even start the hose until I've already set the alarm on my phone. Through the years I've gotten much better. I usually never lose fish to illness or disease, just my own carelessness. Maybe I can call my forgetful brain a fish disease? ;)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
weidner
Merchantville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9378473

Sounds like they got electrocuted
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9378666

I keep looking at my little pond and miss my fish.. can't wait till spring to start over... again!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9378932

Tammie,
Spring is just around the corner. You will be enjoying fish again soon. If all of mine died I would start over again.
We are determined. If you were closer I would certainly share some.
The Orlando koi show is coming up in March and my son Jeff is keyed up about cause we went last year and he is going to show some little ones this year. Last year was our first year and he won a ribbon on his showa which he has since traded off. His wife said he is adicted to fish. I think its wonderful. A person could have much worse habbits.
Vendors come from all over the US and Japan with fish so I find it very interesting. I think we are going all 3 days this year. Merry Mary enjoyed it too.
Think spring, Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 8, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9379139

I'm going to try and make it back again this year...The last hour of the last day, I got a great deal on a filter system (almost half price, they didn't want to pack it and load it back up) It's a bead filter with the vortex back wash, and will go on my new pond, if I iever get it done.
Bonnie...I know I don't need to remind you about buying fish there! At least quarantine the heck out of any new ones!
Once my newer pond gets up and running, I'm getting rid of half of my fish. I am sooooo overcrowded right now, that it's diffucult to keep up with, mostly because without my big newer pond up and running, I'm running smaller ponds with little filters. Bonnie, some will go to you and Jeff if you want some.
I'm trying to get more organized about exactly what I want in my new pond. I tend to buy everything that's pretty, and that's just not working! I will go with only 1 or 2 lily colors...less fish of different varieties...separate my water iris colors...etc. I was always the kid who brought home every homeless kitten, and now that I live in a subdivision and not on a farm, I can't do that anymore!
Keep your fingers crossed for me, I tend to get weak the minute I walk into a nursery or pet store! sigh... :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9379317

MM

I have both of those weaknesses as well. Anything that is pretty or any animals. My husband as tried to indicate to me no more cats for awhile, but... not sure I can do that ^_^

Bonnie - would it be possible to send pictures of the koi show? I would love to go to one. (I did get your dmail, just have not had a chance to respond - but I will).

Looking forward to spring and my pond!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9381545

MM,
You aren't the only with those types of weakness. Heck, we could be a lot worse. According to my size pond and the amt. of fish in it now I have room for about 30 more. Also, all thats in old pond is 3 goldies and 1 oranda. You don't have to worry about me not quaranteeing new fish. Remember what happened to me after last koi show. Charlie suggested I move those 3 goldies & oranda to new pond and put any new fish by themselves in old pond. Makes sence to me.
Jeff and I and his boys are going to fish farm this Sat. for fish food and I don't intend to buy any fish. Just look. I will wait until you divide so they will have a good new home. Sounds like you really have a job ahead of you but just think how nice it will be when you get it all done.
I'm still feeding as water temps are good. Also did water quality check last week and all readings were great. Tomorrow while it is so warm I'm cleaning all filtration on both ponds. Since I bought a new pressure washer it doesn't take me anywhere near as long. Can't wait until we get that new table built for that purpose and potting table all in one. Will sure be handy.
Set out a new camilia and alamanda vine. Camelia is loaded with buds. Can't wait to see it in bloom.
Hawaii sunset vine is putting out new shoots. That I'm really babying. Still in pot so I can bring it inside as I'm sure cold snap will come in Feb.
Happy ponding and gardening to all.
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 14, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9384948

I did something stupid today. i added city water to my pond , forgot to turn it off for 6 hours. My heart almost stopped when I realized the mistake, water all over the yard, DH sleeping from playing golf.There are 3 kois on there sides but still breathing. I added salt and baking soda as well as bottle of peroxide. I am help less!!! Remember I lost all those kios last summer!!!

It is already dark outside.

Do you think those 3 will die?

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9384999

Belle

did you add a dechlorinator to the water?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 14, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9385032

Carolyn,

No I never add dechlorinator because I always turn it off in few minutes. Also I have a 4 foot falls and so the chlorine evaporates fast.

Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9385093

I would still run up to PetSmart (even Walmart) and immediately get some dechlorinator. The chlorine burns their gills, so no matter how much oxygen they have, they can't absorb it. The less there is in the water, the better! Use tons of oxygen. The salt is a great idea, because the chlorine has already burned their slime coat off of their skin, eyes, and gills. Be cautious of the peroxide for now. It can be a liquid abrasive for skin that already has no coat left on it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9385123

Belle

I don't think the chemicals burn off that quickly - I could be wrong on that, but I think it takes some time.

I am thinking the chemicals in the water is where the problems are lying right now. You said the water was running for quite some time, so there may be more in the way of chemicals in the water than what you normally end up with.

I agree with MM - I would run to the pet store and get some dechlorinator and dose the pond.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 14, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9385127

It is already past 8 PM. I will go out with a flashlight to check on them.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9385132

Belle

I would keep a jar of the dry dechlor on hand as a 'just in case'. It has a long shelf life and is relatively inexpensive.

Typically we run water through a filter that removes chemicals, but we also don't have chloramines in our water. There are times where the water goes in right from the hose and not through the filter, so the dechlor helps.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 14, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9385154

One is gone so I took it out . The rests are slowly swimming. Off course it it is dark even with spot lights and a flash light. i will check again early AM.

thank you again.

Belle
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 15, 2013
3:03 AM

Post #9385532

Good morning,
Woke up few times during the night thinking about my kois. I am waiting for some light so i can check and also bag the one that expired. DH does not know and will not be sympathetic because it was negligence.
Scheduled to play golf today with DH and i am very excited . This will be my 5th game since the accident.

As far as my ankle, it is doing fine, achy sometimes especially when i had a lot to do. i do however take ultram couple of times a week otherwise tylenol every 6 hrs.works well.

Will keep in touch and I appreciate your time.

Belle
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 15, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9385655

I think the crisis is over. Lost 2 big ones and it could have been worse. DH does not know!! Lesson learned!!1

I am going to buy dichlorinator today just in case it happens again.

Golf is cancelled, raining hard and it is in the 40's.

Have a good day!!

Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9385823

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chlorine-Filter-Hose-Attachment-For-Ponds-and-Aquariums-i-b-font-color-red-FR-/190760089005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6a2ff5ad

See if you can get this to open...it's an attachment for your hose that you use when you're going to top off your pond. The filter only lasts through so many, so don't water your lawn with it! :)

But DEFINITELY still get some anti-chlor to use even IF you use the filter.

I'm so sorry this happened again. I've done it too and now have an agreement with myself, that I won't even turn the hose on until I've already set the alarm on my phone.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 15, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9385924

MM,
I thank you for the link. i just bought the chlorine filter.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9386086

We have something similar to that as well. Ours has filter that go into the unit that are changed every so often. It makes topping off the pond or water exchanges much simpler.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9386318

Great Belle! Let's hope this is the last time we hear of any more losses! :D (but we won't leak a word to your hubbie!)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 15, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9386441

MM,
DH is a perfectionist!! I am not allowed to make mistakes. LOL!!!

Belle

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9386504

I've got a definition for perfectionist but I sure can't put it into print. LOL

Hey, we are all human and that gives an allowance for error now and then.
Bell,
Hope your remaining fish do well and glad you are back playing golf.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9386585

I'm a perfectionist that still screws up...so I guess that makes me ...human?? :D

A friend, many years ago, told me if you screw up a recipe and burn it...you don't admit defeat and the fact that you did something wrong...you just rename it and move forward with the new "how it is".

I go with that.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9386589

We all make mistakes - if we didn't make mistakes we would never learn.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9386666

I've learned approximately 2,437 times with my pond. ;)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2013
1:26 AM

Post #9386747

You're funny. You make me laugh.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9386921

People who don't make mistakes often times don't do anything.

You know my saying-nothing ventured--nothing gained.

I'm sure Merry Mary and I are both adventurous so we should be champions of mistakes and accomplishments.

Got to get work and do something even if its wrong.

I'm loving this beautiful weather.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9387222

Send the weather this way. It is snow again! Ughh!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9388718

Supposed to go dowh to 39 here tonight. Don't think it will hurt most of my plants. Rest of the week supposed to be in the 70's.

My husb. says anything below 70 is freezing. Now you know why we live in Fl. He hats cold weather.

This time ofyear I keep close check on the weather. I have seen 26 more than once. We used to have large groves all around Clermont but 1983 freeze started killing them. 3 bad freezes back to back did them in. Our grove died a few years later. I still miss them. Now we grow cows instead of oranges. Made more $$ with the oranges but thats life.

Stay warm up north all.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2013
1:25 AM

Post #9388846

Bonnie

I agree with your husband. I can tell when it hits 68 degrees as I get cold around that point. Not happy to see the thermometer at 17 degrees this morning. Ughh!!!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9389169

Cold AND it just started raining too...blah...it was 84 just the other day! That's winter in Florida!
Bonnie...I too miss the groves that used to be all over central Florida. My favorite smell is orange blossoms blooming all around town.
My little 3 branched 3 foot citrus tree has buds on it, so I don't want it to get cold enough to freeze them off before they get to open. My plan is to have my morning coffee with my face buried in the open blooms savoring the smell! What a great way to start a morning! I'll take the rain...but cold weather, PLEASE go away!
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9391034

It is an easy winter with no fish in my little pond.. not having to worry about keeping the ice open for them.. but I miss them! That forgetting to turn the water off is a mistake so often made! This last time was a stuck valve .. now I can't trust the valve and will be back to turning water off and on ... when I get fish in the spring.

Sorry for your loss.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9391765

Come spring time it looks like a lot of people are going to be buying fish.
I can understand. If I lost all of mine I would replace them even tho it would takea while.

To all who lost fish THINK SPRING and new fishies swimming aorund for your viewing enjoyment.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2013
1:28 AM

Post #9392002

I would hate to have an empty pond. I think spring anyway, but I would definitely be planning my fishing expedition. DH and I used to go every spring to the fish farm and we would make a day of it - we would figure out where we would stop and have a nice lunch on the way and what kind of fish we were going to buy. Of course we bought more than we always planned to buy - but it was always great fun.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
2:53 AM

Post #9392019

Carolyn,
There are so many places to buy fish here you would go bonkers. Because we like the folks that run it we go to Sandy Acres fish farm. It's all on 2 acres, not huge but quite a bit to choose from. They keep their own large breeders plus pond plants for sale. Never bought any plants cause really don't know how to raise them plus all my water is really moving and i'm sure they would like still water.

Got a ton of broadleaf fern a friend wanted to get rid of so thats my job for today planting them. Plants in front of my angel died out so time for some new ones and can't beat free but digging them was difficult. Just hope they all root.

Fish are all happy right now. I've been feeding them fish food and cherrios for desert. They love them. New little ones in old pond are doing good. Haven't lost not 1 yet. Blue shubunkins with yellow heads are about 4 inches. Zip around the pond like jets.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9392356

Bonnie

I am so envious...

I have a screen saver on my desk top at work of my fish. I just love looking at them.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9392750

Bet your co-workers enjoy it to.

My son Jeff talks a blue streak about fish to anyone that will listen. His wife would like to tape his mouth. I just smile and listen and figure I'm glad thats his interest and not something bad. Fish and football with his boys are his life outside of work. One grandson is now 14 and we are all going to next koi show in March. \

All the new shubunkins I bought at fish farm are doing well. Everything I put in old pond seem to be fine. 1 new butterfly in larger pond is also looking peppy. He is really ugly so I decided to name him UGLY. Jeff just says he is different. Has bright red lines just above his eyes reminds me of someone that went beserk with eye makeup. We just laugh at him.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9395370

Just found another place in Deland on Craigs list. 4 and 5 dollars for little ones 4-5 inches. Got some 1 ft. and larger for $50. I told Jeff and you know what he said "mom maybe we better check that out". I don't need anymore large fish but!!!!!!!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 24, 2013
1:47 AM

Post #9395605

Bonnie,

The $4-5 is my price!! LOL!!! they grow fast.
Had you ever bought fish from Koi to the world? He sends me email when he has sales. He sells babies for for $200.00 and he said it's almost 250 count.

Carolyn,
I saw your name trying to order pond plants. i keep losing my water lillies, I think the kois unroot them.

It had been low twenties here but Phoenix and CA will be high 70's and 80's.

think spring!!!

Belle
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
2:06 AM

Post #9395612

Yep.. going to be high 70's here tomorrow, thursday... I am really looking forward to it. Not going to last but the one day then a cold front is headed out way. Going to make the best of it. My little pond is going to get a good clean out before I get new fish this spring.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9395667

Belle - are your waterlilies Hardy or tropical? Also what are you using as a planting medium?

Llahsa - we have plenty of cold to share. I am encouraged to see my deicers are still working hard though.

My next pond will be stocked with $5 fish. No more spending a fortune on fish. There are too many that need a good home.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9395754

Between Merry Marys donations and others I have never spent $400. on fish I'm sure and I have plenty. Doubt I have that much in fish altogether.

Just spent hours on arbor & trellis forum. Shouldn't have gone there. Jeff and I have talked about arbor over pond with walkway under it. Have to talk to engineer (husb.) about specs. Nothing is impossible if you plan ahead and build right the first time.

Gardens are an ongoing project, never really finished. I am loving this cooler weather, gives me more pep than the summer heat.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9395970

Bonnie

I would love to be out in the garden. I'lll come down and weed for you! ^_^
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 24, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9396082

Me too! shovel dirt, haul rock, you name it. Anything for sun and warmth -- mostly sun. I get really squirrely this time of year with lack of sun. It is 9am here and black as pitch; well not quite. I can actually see stuff but it is very dark. Maybe around 10 we may get some lightening on the horizon that really resembles sunrise. I think part of the problem today is the heavy overcast. But, 35F is holding. Just so it holds to about March or earlier then continues to go up. Got to pull out my seed packets and start to think about setting up the garage nursery. Well, around the middle of March, except for my begonias. They have to get started around the middle of February to have flowers before July.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 24, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9396222

Carolyn,

I think my waterlilies were hardy and I use walmart red kitty litter and pea gravel..

It is very cold here!!! Low teens!!!

Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9396407

Bonnie, I've purchased from Deland before. So far, nothing unhealthy. They get their main stock from Blackwater Creek. Good prices. Once I split my group in half, when the new pond gets up and running, you'll never want another fish again! I'm probably getting rid of more than you can handle, so will list some on Craigslist too. They're all big.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9396439

It is frigid here too, but next week we are supposed to be in the 40's with rain. I am looking forward to that.

Belle - the koi are after the clay in the kitty litter. Koi love clay. I bought clay to add to water and the koi swim right into it! I think you will be less apt to have a problem if you remove the litter and use just some prewashed pea gravel.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9396560

WELL,
If thats the case Mary I don't need a trip to Deland.

Charlie said you need these tangerines now. I can run them over to you Sat. if thats convenient. I don't want you to get gone by fruit.
I also have a couple of pieces of broadleaf fern if you want them. They are beautiful. Fronds are about 4 feet long now and they would look nice around your new pond. They spread over time and thats why my friend wanted to get rid of them.
I think they are beautiful. Let me know.

Carolyn beautiful lilly.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9396569

Carolyn and Oberon,

Sure would appreciate your help. There is always something that needs doing around here and now the weather is simply beautiful. I can't stand staying in the house now. I get up early do laundry or vacuum floors so I can be outside by sunup.
Would really love to have you visit anyhow. I'm a pretty good tour guide especially our state parks. Worked as district mgrs. sec. for 12 years and just loved it. They moved our office and that ended my wonderful career.

Carolyn you especially should come down to visit your relatives in Deland thats not far from me. The doors always open so come on down.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9396722

Bonnie, I will be gone until Monday late morning...this is my busiest work month. I'm going to try to head your way this week, one morning (I have to be at the school by 2:00 every day) I want to bring you your lotus before it gets too established here.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2013
3:23 AM

Post #9396903

Bonnie

That would be soooo much fun! How much land do you have? Everytime you show us pictures, it looks like you have enough property so as not to have neighbors right on top of you. Something else I dream of.

I would give almost anything at this point to be out in the garden. Most everything was put on hold last July because of the health problems DH has been having. My gardens were such a mess.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9397056

Mary come anytime I'm home. I'll be working outside so I'll take cell with me. 353-223-1611.

Carolyn,
We have 15 acres only 5 miles fron town of Clermont which is perfect. Bigger city of Orlando is about 23 miles away.
Only go there if I have to. OK sun is up time to grab shovel and get rest of ferns planted and then on to other tasks.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9397190

Bonnie - 15 acres! I would love that. I am on 1/5 of an acre in town!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9397563

Only thing is by the time you retire you aren't always in good enough health to take care of land. The cows keep ours well mowed but fences have to be kept up etc. etc. My husb. tells me as long as he can drag himself out there to do the minumum work he is keeping his cows. With them we get ag exemption on our land taxes so they really help. One of our 5 acre pieces is taxed $15.00 as it is pasture and no house on it. We are thinking of giving that to Jeff to build a new house on. Other 10 acres can be sold and split between other 3 kids. Thats after we are gone. Might need it for nursing home expence who knows. Never know what tomorrow can bring.
Main problem with all our kids is there homes aren't worth what they once were so selling isn't really much help. We were talking about it today and he said he knew he would have to take a loss. His wife is a realtor.
We just take each day at a time.
I would like to see you have a little more land then you could build a large pond. LOL
Just value your and your husb. health. Thats what counts.
Take care and keep warm.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 30, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9402320

Hello All!!
We are now in Phoenix and it is unusually cold but i am packed for cold and warm weather,. So afr we had played 3 times and 2 more here in Phoenix.We are headed for Pal spring and San Diego. Scheduled to tour sedona and Grand Canyon this week end before heading to Palm spring. My ankle is holding with ultram.

My neighbor called the other day and there was a ice storm few days ago so my pond is frozen she can see the fish so i hope they are alive. Are they okay? i am worried. The dechlorinator that I purchased for $48.00 busted !! I told her to buy some tablets and I am so lucky to have good neighbors.

i do have a heater for the pond but with my husband insistence i did not set it in.

I am worried and I hope my babies are okay.

Accommodation is good!!

Belle
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 30, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9402401

Tell your neighbors to get the pond heater in. If the ice stays for any length of time (don't know how long it would take) the gases cannot escape and could kill fish. Anyone else have a comment.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9402446

Yes. - I have a couple of observations. First and foremost as Mary indicated - the deicer needs to go into the pond ASAP! Belle - my understanding is that you have had your pond for several years - what has been the routine in previous years? Also - the dechlorinator - is that for a pond or a swimming pool? Seems quite pricey to me. How many gallons would one tablet be designated to handle? Let us know.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9402476

Add the deicer ASAP! Melting even a small hole will help greatly!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 31, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9404107

We are on a 3 week golf vacation. Talked to my neighbor and she said all the fish are okay. the temp is on the 70;s for few days.

Thank you again.

Belle
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 4, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9407791

Update
The fish are doing okay after the big freeze. My $48.00 dechorinator that busted is for pond according to the label and i emailed the seller . He wanted to know what happened and when I get home i will email him back. He will try to get a replacement.

We toured Sedona as well as Grand Canyon and our drive to Palm Spring was almost 6 hours. We had 3 hours wait for our accommodation so we ended up at a taco place and I did something memorable or bad !!! It all depends how you are going to take it. Need opinions!! I was going to post this at the travel and vacation but you are more friendly here.

Scenario-- Not taco bell

After we ordered I watched the workers and noticed that they were making our order with bare hands and after 3 tacos i asked the cashier why they they did not have gloves. They do not use gloves because there hands are clean. I told her that i am not going to eat there if they do not use gloves. 2 ladies don gloves and started laughing and so i told them " this is serious, I had not seen food handlers with out gloves where i live" It looks like you do not eat in fast food she said. I do eat at fast food but I am very particular where I eat.

Now, what would you have done?? Incidentally i am a retired operating room RN so i am very conscious of bugs, bacteria and virus lOL!!! nuts ???

The temp here is high 60's and the last time we were here it was in the 80's. It is not shorts weather!!! Good thing i packed for cold weather.

Have a good day and think spring!!!

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
7:14 AM

Post #9407909

Belle,
I am a certified food handler because I used to do demos in stores ( think black and white uniforms) If you handle any food product to the public you HAVE to wear gloves. Fl. doesn't even like latex gloves which I provided myself as they fit tighter. We were told to use those flimsy thin ones like you see used in delis or backerys because some people are allergic to latex.

We rarely had to actually touch the food as it was in containers or boxes and put it into paper cups in measured amts. but still had to wear gloves to protect the public which is good.

Wherever you were they are way behind time and should be reported to their local healthy dept.
Bonnie

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 4, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9408777

Never heard of people preparing food without gloves. Yuk. With gloves I don't have to 'trust' that they washed their hands thoroughly.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2013
1:23 AM

Post #9408881

I feel the same way as Mary does. My assumption is that they don't wash their hands on a regular basis.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 5, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9408978

I am going to do a review when i get home.

Our vacation is fun, DH is especially nice when we play golf. We were late, DH made a wrong turn but the course wre very accommodating and even had someone escort us to the other course. it was a very bust day for them, lots of golfers and it is nice to see the members sporting their private golf cs and headed to San Diegoarts. It must cost a fortune!!!

We will be here for 6 days and headed to San Diego and hopefully the weather is better so i can use shorts. i had to go buy pants yesterday.

Have a good day and think SPRING!!!

Belle
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 9, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9412879

Good morning,
II hope you are not dealing with snow / blizzard where you are.

Carolyn,
did you get snow? I had my share of snow when we lived in Rhode Island for 10 years. The state knew how to deal with snow unlike where we are now where life stops when there is an inch!!! LOL!!!

I did something very scary yesterday. We had one day of planned shopping at the outlet in Palm Spring. Had lunch
at the food court and DH decided t o have ice cream and in the process of taking my credit card I might have dropped my wallet / check book. When i got back to the table to put back my credit card I discovered my wallet was gone!1 I ran to the ice cream register to check if I left it there. Nada!!! Checked my purse again and my heart was beating 200 / minute WEnt back to the counter to asked again. I called my bank to report and a guy approached me if i had lost my wallet. I followed him to a room and found out that he is one of the housekeeping and he was ready to call security. i asked him to follow me and gave him a reward. What a day!!! I had 2 credit cards, my drivers license, a golf ID and my military ID

There were a lot of sales at Izod store so i treated more golf outfits and was surprised that DH did not say a word. Normally he would tell me that i have too much!!!

To top it all Coldwater creek was closing and pants were 1.99 and jackets were 4.99. Did i buy?? Yes i did!! Who wouldn't??? Roger did not say a word!!

Heading to San Diego for 6 days and will play 4 times.

Our 3 weeks vacation is a lot of fun!!!

Thank spring !!!

Belle

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9413004

Belle

We got a good 6 inches of snow last night. Thankfully it wasn't more. My daughter and I exchanged texts last night and they were supposed to end up with about 3 feet of snow. When I talked to her in the late afternoon they already had a foot of snow and she was quite excited. Apparently she likes the snow more than she used to like it! She is up in Maine.

Belle - I have to tell you, I would have been more nervous about following the guy to his room than I would have been about losing the credit cards. Glad everything worked out well for you though.

Sounds like you are having a good time. I would have grabbed up everything at CC too.

Enjoy and stay warm. Have fun in San Diego - I love San Diego ^_^

Carolyn
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9413482

Belle,
You were VERY fortunate. Just last week our checking account got hacked and a person (bank has name) transfered $990. out of our acct. into hers and she is also a Bank of America customer. Their fraud dept. called. I was livid because if they had called instead of sending an e-mail after the fact I could have told them no such person was on our acct. To me thats gross negligence.

I spent all one morning at the sheriffs dept. office and then afternoon at the bank closing out accts. and opening new ones. Had to contact all the credit bureaus to put fraud alert on our accts. We had to fill out 7 reports ea. (husb. and I) I also signed a form to prosecute so if it goes to court I will be going to Miss. where this person lives. If the name isn't ficticious they should be able to prosecute.

If it happens again I'm changing banks. Before transfering out that sizable amt. they should have called.

OK I'm done ranting. Enjoy your vacation and glad you snagged some real bargains.
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 10, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9413901

Good morning,
We are in San Diego and will go to church early then a College friend will treat us to lunch. We might cook dinner in our unit, had Chinese for dinner yesterday after golf 90 miles away.

our golf starts tomorrow but DH wants to cancel Tuesday because it is 80 miles away. We might go for a 2 day tour.

Yes I feel lucky that I got my wallet back. I was not thinking right when I followed him to the housekeeping room, DH was watching me very closely. It was just too fast.

Bonnie,
You are lucky that that they did not drain your savings.We are with Navy Federal and we are very pleased with the service. i do monitor the account on line for anything suspicious. i check it every time i am on line. I wonder how these hackers do it!!!

We had one incident when our credit card was used by someone in CA as well as NY in a restaurant. The bank called right away and we were not liable for the bills.The credit card was discontinued right away.

One thing I do is to notify the bank when we go on a long vacation and where we will be.

Think spring!!

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9418251

My youngest dgt. who has been with Fl. prison system for almost 30 years said people sit and hit numerical keys until they happen to get the combination right to hack into an acct. With credit cards its much easier cause of the pocket scanners crooks have can read a card right thru your wallet unless it is foil lined wallet. Her husb. bought one as he travels for work extensively and often has CC and cash on him. Also, I'm sure you heard about the scanners that have been installed in gas pumps where many people use debit or credit cards when buying gas. Just love all these high tech crooks.

Stay safe and enjoy your vacation.
Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 14, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9418582

Good morning,
We are having a blast!! Been out with a College friend 3 times for dinner and last night went to the University Club and the view on the 34th floor is spectacular.

Yes I had read those gadgets that reads that the credit card numbers.The hackers are clever!!!

We are driving back to Phoenix on Friday to return our car rental as well as catch our plane. it could have cost a fortune to return it here or go home via San Diego.

there are several homeless here but noticed that they wake up early. Majority of them are young.

Think spring!!!

Belle
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 17, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9421832

I am home!!!

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9421955

Hope you arrived safely!

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 18, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9423416

Carolyn,

We are home safe!!
Going back to my experience with Del taco:
I was going to post a review but are asking my email address and there is no way I am giving away my email address.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9423425

Glad you are home safely Belle - You could leave a review for the taco place by setting up a free email account that is only for that if you want. It is up to you though - not sure if those reviews really help, are you?

Looking forward to Spring - we were in the teens this morning with a wind chill at -5. It is time for the season to change!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 18, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9423703

Carolyn,
have to create another email address then. Maybe a g-mail account Thank you
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9424042

Night before last it was 26 here but went up to 70's during the day. Today supposed to get up there again. I have bunch of flats I planted with morning glory for RU and they are up about 2". I have them in back of 4 wheel Gator and drive them into my husb. workshop at night and out during the day. Also planted phflox, gallardia and a weird gourd I had saved so I cut hole in it to get seeds out.

Glad your home Belle and enjoyed your golfing vacation.

Hope everyones fish are doing well. NE is getting more snow coming weekend. Brrrrr.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9424044

Bonnie - don't say the "s"word. Birds are singing this morning!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9427354

Husb. made and put out 4 eastern bluebird nest boxes as we have been seeing them. They are just beautiful.
I hope for his sake we get some to nest.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2013
4:50 AM

Post #9427561

I have only seen pictures of them. It would be fun to see them in real life.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 22, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9427580

Bonnie,
Talking about nesting, we have a big wreath near the front entrance wall and for over 10 years morning doves nest and hatch.
we never bother them.

It is still very cold here.

By the way I created a new email address with Gmail and I have to check my reviews if it posted.

Think spring!!

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9427735

Have mourning doves here every day but don't know where they nest. They eat safflower seed and sun flower seeds like mad. Got to get back to work shredding mulch for another hour or so.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9427751

It is very cold here Belle. Can't wait for Spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America