I am in MOURNING!!!! Lost 21 kois!!

Virginia Beach, VA

My pond is around 10 years old and had spent a fortune on kois over the years. At first it was not netted and so the herons feasted on them.

We netted it and lost most of it when we lost power on one of a severe storm and so 4-5 years ago i bought 100 babies regular and butterflies and over 30 grew to be beautiful and colorful!!

Some of them were over 20 inches.

We had a storm 2 days ago and last night the pump was running but this morning the power tripped and when I went to feed them this AM a lot were floating. You should have seen me, I ran inside to summon my husband that there is no electricity and that most of my kois are dead!!.
He was nice enough to take the dead ones out before leaving for golf.

It is like losing a pet animal. Do i need to start all over again, buy babies or buy big ones?

What do you do with the dead ones?

My heart is breaking and shed few tears. They were my babies!!!

Belle

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your losses. My wife and I are the kind of people that go into mourning when we lose one of our african cichlids in our tank.

What to do with the dead ones? I would put each one in a plastic grocery bag and freeze them until garbage pickup day. That way, they won't decompose and smell up the property until you can dispose of them. Or, if backyard burning is permitted in your area, I would start big a large fire and cremate them. Anyhow, you still have a few heartaches ahead of you.

Take care,
Sylvain.

Virginia Beach, VA

Found 2 more so it is a total of 23 kois.

Thank you Sylvain

Belle

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Sorry Belle, I feel this way every time I lose one. We have an 89 acre koi farm 2 hours from here. I want to go see the farm this summer.I am getting ready to put 35 outside.They are gettting way to big for my tanks. Your best bet is to start over with smaller fish, they adapt better to your conditions.. I have gotten really unique and well marked ones at Wally world this year! $4.78 each.

Kyle :-)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh, Belle, this is so sad - if it were me, I would thoroughly clean the pond before putting any more fish it it. Bury your lost fish under your plants - they will appreciate it and you can 'visit' them every day, because you will see the beauty in the flowers - think of it as organ donation to your plants.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I'm with Kay. When I lost all my large koi (only about 8) over the winter I froze each one as I found it in the ice. When the plants were up I buried one beside each of my peonies. Not sure if that was the reason, but they peonies are huge this year. I am so very sorry for your lose.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Belle

I am so sorry - it is so hard when we lose them. I would bury them in your garden by a special plant as a tribute to them. They are our pets and deserve the best. I too would get some smaller fish as well. You will pay a fortune for a larger fish and the smaller fish grow so quickly. I know that you know, but please don't forget to quarantine your new fish.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Bellieg,
I don't understand how your koi died so fast. I very often forget to turn pump back on cause I always shut it off to feed them as waterfalls pushes feed down the skimmer. I have never had any die yet. I usually forget at night and when I go out in the AM I turn it back on. Was it a lack of oxygen? Whatever the cause I am truly sorry.

Remember last spring after going to koi show and bringing home desease I lost about 32 5 inch that Mary Merry had given me. I had 4 sick tanks set up etc etc. Then an 18" gold fish jumped out of one of the tanks and I lost that one. I now cover all small tanks with screen. Every morning for a week I'd get up and go out and bury fish. Sure was a sad ritual after a few days but thats the way it goes sometimes. I put all of them in my hibiscus bed. I was told that for various reasons from time to time fish will die which I don't appreciate but try to adjust to. Now when I go out I always look and make sure none are floating.

If I understand your post correctly your pump was only off overnight? Wow now I am really going to make sure my pump is on before going to bed. I told my husb. to always remind me to check it.
Sometimes we have storms here in Fl. that puts elec. out for days. Geeze I sure hope not. We only have 1 generator.
Wish we were closer and I certainly would give you some koi. Hope your near a fish farm.
You may want to disinfect your pond before adding new fish. I completely emptied my old one and washed it with chlorine and rinsed it over and over. Also pressure washed it. By that time I was paranoid about desease.
If you invest in smaller ones you can watch them grow. It doesn't take long.
Whatever you decide to do I certainly wish you good luck with them.
Bonnie

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

It has to be the extreme heat. This would create a problem with oxygen as warmer water has far less oxygen than cooler water.

Virginia Beach, VA

I just arrived from playing golf and I lost 26.

I will probably buy more 2 inch babies. The saddest part is I lost all 4 butterflies which were maybe 20 inches long.

It is devastating because it took 5 years for them to grow that long.
Carolyn, You are right it must be the heat.

Bonnie,
I checked the pump before going to bed and was running.

I will wait till the fall to buy again. I think i have 5 left.

I thank you for your concerns and it helps to have friends who understands.

Belle

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 4:55 AM

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Belle

How were your fish this morning? I am thinking it is going to take time to get the oxygen levels back up to where they were in your pond. Perhaps adding some water will help. I have to believe how you add water, be it from your house or a well or however you do it, that water is cooler and has more oxygen. You may also want to invest in a bubbler for the extreme heat - we run a bubbler when our water temps are in the higher 80's to 90's. I know this wouldn't solve any electrical problems, but I do think the extra oxygen in the long run may have saved some of your koi when the electricity was off.

Virginia Beach, VA

Carolyn,
What are you doing so early???

The few fish that survived appears to be happy. I am withholding food for now.
It is a good idea to put a bubbler and will look for the new one I ordered from AZ ponds. I also have to connect the bubbler in a separate line just in case the pump line trips.

Off to play golf and thank you again for taking time to make me feel better.

Will get in touch with the fish guy and see what he says.

have a good day.

Belle

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Carolyn you got me thinking. Need new temp. gauges to float around in both ponds. It stays in the high 90's here now. Both our ponds feel cool when we step into them. Maybe cause they are both under same big oak tree.
Big pond is now 1/2 full of hyacinths. Do they give off oxygen?? I'll check U of F site.
Everybody warned me about bldg. ponds under an oak and I knew what I was in for with leaf drop but I don't want cooked koi so I will net them both come next fall.
Bad part of electric out front is everything is on one circuit. If one pond goes out everything will.
Husb. said thats the only way he could wire it. Not good.
Belle glad you have some fish left.
Bonnie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Belle

so sorry to hear of your devestating fish loss. I think that is a great idea that others have suggested in to plant them by special plants, they give back to you and your garden for all the enjoyment you received from them.

Jan

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Belle,
I'm so sorry to hear that! It breaks my heart when the ones we've had for so long...die. I just lost one due to egg impaction. This heat has really taken it's toll this year, so the oxygen levels were probably down quite a bit. I have noticed in the past, that the very large koi can't last long without oxygen. I often worry about losing power due to hurricanes or normal Florida tropical storms, because I know the big ones won't last more than a few hours without air. I already told my husband the generator goes to the pond before us if we lose power!
Again, I'm SO sorry !

Virginia Beach, VA

Hello All,
Again thank you for your expressions of sympathy. I lost a total of of 26.

Something is going on inside the pond. For the longest time there is one that is not growing. He/she must be only 4 inches and comes from the same bunch.
Any way there are now 3 small ones and I even thought one of my friends came to give me some while I was gone today. This is puzzling!!!

Merry Merry, You are right the big ones are first one to die when oxygen is depleted

We have a generator too and I will tell my husband to connect to the pond in case we lose power.

How many kois do you have in your pond?

Belle

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Belle

During the week, I am always up early. I have my first cup of coffee in the am with the computer. I try to ease into the day this way.

You said something was goin on in the pond - are you referring to the loss due to the power or something else that has been going on for longer. I do have some fish that are younger and larger than some of the others. I would think if there were no health issues that genetics could wreak havoc with ultimate size.

Virginia Beach, VA

Carolyn,
I have more alive fish than I thought. I saw only 6 yesterday and today I counted 11!!! There was only 1 midgitt Sp and now there are 3!!!

Is it possible for little ones to stay in hiding for months?

I cleared a lot of the tall plants yesterday to make sure that there are not dead ones in between plants.

that is the mystery!!

Belle

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I had my pond emptied and cleaned one year. I thought I had lost all mu fish. then a week or so later three showed up. They had hidden in some deep caves in my pond.

Virginia Beach, VA

Good morning,

So it is possible that some babies survived or made it from previous spawning but I did not see them for months!!! I now have 4 small ones.

This incident took a lot from me, it drained me and I could not even concentrate on my golf game the last few days.

I have to move on.

Belle

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Belle moving on does not mean that you have forgotten them. I know it must be hard and very shattering, but as with nature, life does go on. Here's to being able to rebuild your fish pods and to enjoying them once again.

Jan

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Belle

Jan is so right. We move on but do not forget. I lost 2 of my favorites last year - one had a tumor that exploded (that one was bad...) and another that was one of my first koi that I had had for 11 years at that point. We move on but do not forget.

Yes, you could still have more fry hiding that you don't know about. It seems like they are more social or less afraid to show themselves when they are older. You may see some next year that you didn't know you had.

Virginia Beach, VA

Losing 26 is hard for me and misses the butterflies.
The 3 other small fish must have been fry from last year. Is that possible?
I must have visited the pond 10 times already today and they seem very happy. I also got rid of a lot of plants .

I plan to order babies from a guy in Florida.

Happy ponding !!!
Belle

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Where in FL Belle? if you don't mind sharing.

Jan

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Belle

They may very well be fry - so you have something from your babies to remember them.

I know MerryMary deals with a reputable koi dealer in Fla - don't know if it is the same one, but you may want to dmail her.

Carolyn

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Belle,
I have bought fish from Sandy Acres Koi Farm and so far they have all been healthy. I drive there once in a while and pick them out and take them home. Owners are Pat & Joe 6633 W. Dunklin St. Dunnellon Fl. 34433 Open 9:30AM to 4:30PM. Tel 352-564-0373. www.sandyacreskoifarm.com.

I think they will ship and if not I'm sure they can tell you who does as they have been in bus. 20 yrs.
There are loads of others here that raise and sell koi. Mary buys from Ebay which I have never needed to try. Most of my koi have been gifts.
Next Wed. we are going to a friend of my sons that wants to give me all his butterflys which makes me very happy. He doesn't like them like the straight sided ones. I like them better.

Glad you got some babies left. Didn't realize they could hide that well. Smart little buggers.

Bonnie

Virginia Beach, VA

Jan,

I have to check my address book who sold me babies few years ago. I had good luck with them. They were mix, bought 100 and split it 3 ways with friends.

Carolyn,
This small ones are about 4-6 inches and wonders where they were hiding!!

Bonnie,
I will check the website .

I am jealous, I miss my butterflies and they are more expensive if I buy a decent size.

The 4 butterflies that died were yellows and cream colored.

Belle

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonnie

thanks for that link, they are a doable distance from me, so I've bookmarked their site, for later on when I do get a pond going....

Thanks Belle for taking time to find your info, no hurry here, just when ever you get around to it.

Jan

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

How big is your pond? Gallons vs surface area? Oxygen exchanges into the water weather you have a pump running or not. Your pond should not be 100% dependent on the pump running.. if it is, you have too many fish for the size of the pond. Yes, if the water is waaay too hot it does not hold as much oxygen but it has to be really warm to kill all your fish that fast when the pump goes out if you have a sizeable pond. Think about transporting fish in a plastic bag from the store.. you are able to put quite a few fish in a small amount of water into a closed plastic bag. As long as you supply a large air supply in the bag also.. they do not die quickly. I have a feeling there is something wrong in the pond that was keeping the pond stable by the pump... maybe gasses being put off from the bottom. Add a little hydrogen peroxide to the water to increase oxygen level in the water.... some algea growths will decrease the oxygen content in the water and the h2o2 will increase the oxygen content and help kill off some of the algae if it is there... I have done this and it did not hurt my fish.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Tammie

Larger fish are affected sooner from lower oxygen levels in a pond than smaller fish - there is something to your analogy, however, if you have several fish in the bag you are bringing home from the fish store, then you are dealing with smaller fish.

I agree that hydrogen peroxide will add oxygen to the water - however, when this happened to Belle, they were all sleeping. One thing that we have done when oxygen levels have been low in our pond because of power outages, is to take an oar and run it back and forth through the water to help create more oxygen in the water.

I think a large part of Belle's problem was the high, high temperatures they have been having, coupled with the fact that she had some larger fish. When she lost power, her oxygen levels were already low because of these two factors. Couple that with no electricity - you also lose your filtration.

I did look up the oxygen versus water exchange because of the indications in your posting. Elevation plays a factor in this as well - the article also mentions that warmer water holds far less oxygen than colder water - I don't know what temps Belle's pond has been, but I do know that mine has been about 80 degrees and last year, it spent a longer than normal period of time in the 90's.

Thirty fish is a lot of fish in a pond and there are several different trains of thought on that - so many inches of fish to so many gallons of water. Also, so many fish per so many square inches of surface area and lastly - if one has a large fish load and has the extra filtration, then one should be fine.

What should really happen, and I think probably most of us do not have this scenario - myself included, is to have a generator hooked up to a main circuit to our pond pumps, so that when the power goes out, the generator kicks in.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

We have a new generator never been turned on but if power goes off our freezer will get it first as we have a years worth of beef in there. I told DH we need to buy another generator and he just smiled but I think he would cause he has gotton attached to the fish now himself.
He is slowly working on little pond shack Carolyn. I haven't been outside much for a week. My BP is too high and the heat sure doesn't help me any. It will get done eventually. Fish are all in new pond and ones in old pond have loads of room now. Just goldfish and a couple of koi in old pond.
I have no additional oxygen on either pond. Just waterfalls in one and waterfalls & fountain in the new one. I'm going to order some oxygenator plants. If hyacinths give off oxyg. then new pond has plenty. Boy the fish sure love those plants to hide in play in.
Took some pics today. Will post them on my pond in progress thread.
Bonnie

Bonnie, will you give us a link to where you put those pictures?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

"so many inches of fish to so many gallons of water."

I can see that this would be right, as when we had goats or horses, there is a so many rule, 1 horse to 1 acre, 6 goats to 1 acre... so why not with fish.

Belle, hope you are feeling better and on the road to recovery and that your remaining fish are doing well for you.

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Don't know if link address is one in search bar but anyhow they are near end of thread on my Pond In Progress one. Pics aren't wonderful but you know fish keep moving.
Hope you find them and enjoy.
Bonnie

Here's the link - the fish pictures are near the very bottom - WONDERFUL job, Bonnie!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263354/

Mount Dora, FL(Zone 9a)

Belle, I hurt for you. I've lost my share of koi, too. I was willing to start you off with a few of mine not so small koi, except your too far away. I've stayed up all night during power failures circulating water and I bought a generator the next morning. Another time after a pump went out, we found our fish piping at the surface. So my husband had this idea. We ran a separate heavy duty 1/4 inch line air pump to the pond and q-tanks. The pump is hooked to a completely separate circuit then any other pond equipment. We have 6 dedicated circuits to our pond. One circuit has only one outlet for the air pump. Mine is outside in an approved electrical box with a lock on it.
(Problematic neighborhood kids)
We try to think of every scenario and yet things still happens. Please remember the best times. When you first hand fed a koi. When you actually could pet one. Or when your IN cleaning the pond they are making total pest of them selves.

I also just a MAJOR incident +/-2 months ago and I'm still not ready to talk about, yet.

BTW: Most of my koi are 10+ pounds and 24+ inches. A rule of thumb I heard some time ago was 250 gallons per large fish. Some people believe that is a minimum and prefer 500 gallons. I believe the type of equipment you run determines your fish load. I prefer the 250 gallon "rule".

Thumbnail by Irish710 Thumbnail by Irish710 Thumbnail by Irish710
Virginia Beach, VA

Irish,
Wow!! How many fish do you have? all my butterflies are gone. I plan to but babies in the fall.
We too have a new generator, It is still in the box and I hope DH knows how to put it together in case of emergency.
I hope you are getting better from the incident that you are not ready to talk about it.

Jan,

I am getting better everyday, pain meds are every 5-6 hours instead of every 4=5 hours.I thank you for asking.

I am taking things a day at a time and trying to be patient which I do not have much of.

Belle

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Belle, I hear ya on the patient part of things. LOL when I had foot surgery years ago, oh my goodness it was the longest 6, 8 weeks to go with crutches that I ever went through.

Irish that is a LOT of fish, wow.....

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Irish,
Your fish are lovely. I have seen those pics before. Were they on U-tube? I remember because I was surprised that they would eat watermelon.
Bonnie

Deer Park, IL(Zone 5b)

Belle-I am so sorry to read about your Koi deaths. I don't come to this site very often but a few years ago I felt like I lived here at this website, with all the koi dying at my house my first year ponding.

Now I am into it about 4 years (or is it 5?) and even with 100 degree weather I could turn everything off for a few days and not worry about deaths. I lost power this summer for three days and no problem. If I turn my pump off or having trouble with it I will usually just run my air (commercial air pump) and the fish are happy and they enjoy going into the skimmer box (crazy fish). When I lost power I was worried but my pond guy assured me that at a depth of 5.5 feet deep with lost of caves they should be fine and they were. I have a few fish that are approx 25-30 inches long with the majority of them being in the 15-20 inches range. My pond is 5000 gallons. with a bottom drain.

BTW: ALL koi love watermelon. Some will eat rasberries and strawberries and blueberries (they are like dogs aren't they?) Mine will even eat tomatoes cherry tomatoes and one koi will eat cucumber. Of course the orange and white ones are the hungriest and most aggressive feeders and will try anything before any of the others.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.