Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Orchid Cactus: A maze of Noids

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 48, Views: 591
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9203383

I find myself with many Noids as I end up my project of adding on to my greenhouse (doubling size) which has entailed having to move many plants with resultant breakage of stems. Just moving materials through the area caused many small problems. I found myself putting three to five different Noids together in pots. I wonder how this will come 0ut when these plants get blooming size? Ones from early in the project appear to have rooted already. I also found several cases where one plant had branched into a surrounding plant nd rooted and already formed a rather large new base. I'm wondering how others have handled these unnamed plants.
Do you keep them and try to identify them when they bloom or do you just dump them? Do you let them grow awhile and then trade them? Do others want Noids? Just asking. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9204743

Hi Bob,

My collection is still small and relatively new so I'm not faced with your problem. I do know that noids are sold on ebay, usually lumped together in a group with pictures of the blooms. Some people don't care about names and just want pictures of the flowers so they know what they're bidding on.

Rox
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 14, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9205197

My Orchids need tags. Only half of my 14 Epis have names, but I don't have any intention of selling them. For trades, I let the pictures do the talking, with the exception of the few different types such as crenatum and oxypetalum. I definately want to know if they are night bloomers or Dragon fruit though!
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9207231

Is a noid the name for unknown?
I can take all that fall that you don't want to deal with as I am making back room into a greenhouse till next spring. LOL

Lavina
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9207550

Good for you Lavina. You have given me so much and I will be happy to share with you---some will be rooted Noids and some will be rooted hybrids that I know the name for. Happy gardening girl. All below will be included. bob

Pictures are: Oxypetalum, Space Rocket, Alchemy, German Empress and Mor Mor

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 12:56 PM

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9208317

What a nice surprise to start my morning.
Lavina
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9251676

I keep them. If they arrive as noids I put them in a "group" pot unless the person has sent a description or has a picture, like OCCAROL did. If it's a basic color description I'll group them by colors. Sometimes I'll receive cuttings and not be able to read the name.

I'm restarting my collection* and just received a box of cuttings today, I can't read the names on half of them. I have three rooted cuttings already and two are noids. ^_^

*- long depressing story.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9257531

I for some reason find looking at EPI blooms makes me happy. I think i have gone daff
Love all these plants
Lavina
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 28, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9257701

LaviniaMae, How can you NOT love them? They are space hogs, and only bloom once a year, but they are so spectacular when they bloom, it's worth the wait, and they aren't fussy to grow.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9258892

OC if we lived closer I think we would be great friends. I've started to name my plants like pets as they mature to blooming size. Each plant establishes it's own worth when it blooms. I see the 300+ that haven't bloomed yet as emerging new personalities that bloom to make me happy.! I got a lot of good times ahead.

Red Schlum(bushel basket size), April Showers; Akermani, Wild Thing, Caroline

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 29, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9258906

Maybe, but I treat my plants the same way I treated my cats...survive or don't. I think you are alot more dedicated than that! I used to be more caring, but as age increases, my fussing decreases.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9258909

Here are some more of my good friends that I haven't highlighted yet.

Golden Dancer Schlum, Aster Strictum, Fiesta de Flores, Vista Sun, German Empress

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 24, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9395884

I love it, I am not the only one who does these things. I now have more noid orchid cacti than named varieties. I was in the greenhouse this morning waking them up and thinking I really need to re-label them while I can still read the tags and before they all become orphans. I cannot stand to throw away a cutting. So I too will pot them up, either in a clump, or a smaller pot. I have found that trying to identify them when they bloom is like trying to tell a bunch of baby quaker parrots apart. You just can't do it. I did the happy dance this morning because I found some cuttings in a basket that was still outside, but they were fine. They had not frozen or rotted. Needless to say I am potting them up this afternoon.
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9409397

Those are gorgeous. What kind of fertilizer do you use for them?
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

February 5, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9409560

10-10-10 once a month from march - November and then nothing through the winter.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9409721

Remember you want to throw some bloombuster on the
m in late Feb-early March to get buds started. bob
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

February 6, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9409970

Bob, What is the bloom buster you are talking about? Is it something you order or can I get it most anywhere? I would sure love to see more blooms this year.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9410464

Go to Wal Mart or Lowes and you will see the term "bloombuster" on small cans/cartons of fertilizer. It will have a series of numbers on it like 10-54-10 where the middle number is way larger than the other two. This means that this fertilizer will better produce blooms on your plant rather than a fertilizer like 10-10-10 which I generally use.
Fertilizer containers usually have a set of numbers that represent the levels of major nutrients contained in the fertilizer. These numbers indicate the level of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium (NPK) in the fertilizer.
Nitrogen (N) is the first number and is basic for good plant growth.
Phosphorus (P) represents the middle number. This encourages root growth, bloom and fruiting.
Potassium (K) is the third number on the bag and helps plants to resist disease.
Growers want Phosphorus for their plants in early spring to aid in plant bloom and fruiting.

I've heard a lot of arguing over this with a lot of people opting for the use of a middle ground fertilizer like 10-10-10 year round. It has equal parts of all three NPK. My Extension Agent advises to up the Phosphorus to encourage bloom rather than encourage general growth early in the season. I feel that she is right in this assumption,.

General 10-10-10 March-Oct. Nothing Nov-Feb. In late Feb, use a bloom buster like 10-54-10 or any other grade with the highest nutrient being the middle one--Phosphorus. I fertilize once per month by hand or in my water supply.
bob (I know you have seen some of these pictures but they brighten my day and many people seem to enjoy)

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9411835

Hi orchidman1, do you dilute the bloombuster fertilizer as directed on the package, or do you dilute it so that it's less concentrated than recommended?

Your pictures of your epies and Schlums are gorgeous, thanks for posting them, and for sharing your info about plant care. Annette

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9411977

If instructions call for diluting, I will usually place granules in a gallon bucket of water and then run it through my overhead watering system which further dilutes it. If dilution is not called for, I just throw it on the shelved plants just as if It were my lawn. I've never had a problem with this method and this is how I normally handle my 10X10X10 applications
. bob
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9412981

Thanks for the info bob, I greatly appreciate it. This is the 3rd-4th year of growing these plants from cuttings, and I hope to see some blooms this year. Annette
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9415591

I recently have found 5 plants with blooms started in my collection. If you are like me and have many plants together in one area, you may lose sight of which plants you have that are starting to bud. I purchased some of those survey flags that consist of a small flag of orange plastic mounted on a metal wire. Now I carry a couple of flags with me when viewing the plants and stick them anywhere I find new buds. Now I can find and watch the development of the buds much easier. bob

Last Year's blooms: Mor Mor, Vista Sun, Wild Thing, German Empress, Caroline

This message was edited Feb 11, 2013 2:54 PM

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
10:42 PM

Post #9416262

Bob, thanks for the great tip about the survey flags. I already have some, now I'll be able to put them to good use.

Your blooms are gorgeous. I do have Vista Sun and Wild Thing that I've grown from cuttings. Thanks for showing an example of what they look like.

I've now also got a lot on pieces that are casualties from when I brought the plants in last fall. I need to pot them up, and I guess wait for them to bloom to figure out what they are. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Click the image for an enlarged view.

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9416412

Annette: If you have more than a couple plants, You may want to note what plants are located around where you find your broken pieces. That way you have some clues when it comes time to identify them. bob
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
1:17 AM

Post #9417369

Thanks again Bob, I'll have do that next year. This year the pieces are now all mixed up, so I'll have to wait till they bloom to ID them. Annette

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9460512

Bob--
We talked on some other Thread---

My Epi that I posted--you had no ID for. So--looking at yours here--It is most like your
"Wild Thing". is that a real name? or is it one of your christened names--like your friends...

And--BTW--I really do not care about names! Here in Baltimore--not too many people evn
have Epis. I only have three. I enjoy em--and I curse them--as they grow so LARGE and lanky.
In the winter--i have to bring everything inside. These heavy Epis hang from the usual ceiling hook.
One of these days--I will hear a big CRASH--because their weight pulled out the hook.
I DO live in fear of that...especially my Ric-Rac. That thing weighs a ton!!!

Here is mine. Be it "Crazy thing"--or whatever...Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9461067

Yes Wild Thing is a real name. Hybrids are named rather loosely. I do think your picture may be Wild Thing.
I have had several plants fall in the greenhouse without any damage to the plants. They are tougher than they look.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9461537

Oh, Bob----

I do not fear the damage to the Epis--if they fall--It is that them falling down will wipe out
about 12 different plants below them.
IF any sections break off of the BIG plants--it will just give me more pieces to root and share.

Remember this picture I sent you? Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9461700

Beautiful!
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 5, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9472490

ooh, that wild thing is gorgeous! I am finally on the mend again. I quit my job and that has helped a lot. Now I am working in the yard and greenhouse every spare minute.
Bob I haven't forgotten our trade. I had neglected some of my plants so much that it is a miracle they survived at all. Several have been moved into icu. Maybe I can pamper them enough to bring them back to their former glory.
Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say Hi.

Wishing you all lots of blooms.
Linda
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9472830

Hey Linda. I now have 24 plants flagged as having buds so I am really looking forward to this blooming season. Most of these are first time blooms. I think I'll move my collection outside as soon as the blooms subside and leave them outside until November. That should give them a healthy boost. However, I tend to fill any empty space in the greenhouse which could cause problems when Nov. rolls around again. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1      

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 6, 2013
4:46 AM

Post #9473414

I can relate to the empty space in the greenhouse Bob, I took my epi's out this past week and my hubby moved in another shelving unit for me, so I am rooting a lot of other things right now and wondering what I will do when the time comes to protect the epi's again. LOL
We had to have some trees taken down in the back yard, so some of my epi's are now just sitting in their pots in the flower beds. I had a brainstorm ( sometimes a scary thing the way my brain works ) the other day and put smaller pots of soil around the pots in the flower beds. Now the epis that are draping over the pots in the flower beds are draping right into the smaller pots and will root themselves. Last year, they rooted themselves into anything they could reach, so I decided I would make it easy for them this year. I am calling it my octopus rooting method. I will send pics later on. I need to get busy this morning.
Bob, what did you do to already have buds? I know what you've told me, but I must not be doing something right.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9473536

Linda, you never ever stop amazing me. That is a marvelous idea to put those pots beside your epi's...the one you sent me is growing up, out and all over. I am not sure if I should cut it back and make more, or what? It has not bloomed because it is still a young plant I assume. It is in a 10 inch pot and this is the second year I have had it. It has about a two foot center stem going straight up and on the top of that it is getting new sprouts. Crazy looking and I am wondering if I need to trim it to keep it healthy. I am really very new at these Epis and I have so much learning to do. Is the Disocactus an Epi...(sorry if that is a dumb question)?
JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9473863

JB--

I waited 6 years before one of my Epis bloomed. Let them be--they will do it when they decide--
usually when they fill the pot with roots.
My Ric Rac I have now had for 8 years--and it has only bloomed once.

Also--"orchid man" above said that if you EVER need to cut an Epi back--
remove the whole frond from the base. Do not just cut the tip off--as then it will branch out from there
an will create a sloppy appearance...

Did you read the whole Thread above? Lots of good info on there.
Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9473990

Gita, there is so much good info on all these threads there is no way I read all of it. I do appreciate being able to go back and ask. The line of least resistance is the one someone my age likes. Your pale salmon CC you sent me is blooming and it is beautiful. It is in the greenhouse on the bottom shelf with some other babies I am waiting for to grow and it looks super good. I am going to have to bring it in the house soon. This month I am hoping to make room inside by putting the big things outside for the next six months. Sorry, did not mean to stray from Epis just do not have time to find a thread to put this on. Love you. JB
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 6, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9474228

Jb, I can never keep up with all the info here either. I am just so happy it is here when I need to know something. Gita, it is good to see you too.

Here are the pics as promised. It was just a wild thought that came to me yesterday, so I thought I would try it. I know 1 summer I had several epi's root themselves in my flowerbed, so this time, I am just making sure they are finding a pot close by and labeling them ahead of time.

Today, I potted up a lot of noid's that were rooted in 4 inch pots. ( these were the ones that had been badly neglected over the past year or a little longer). I filled several 16-20" pots with as many rooted plants as I could fit and I want to feed them and see what happens. I hope it turns out well. I just don't have room for all of them and I couldn't stand the thought of composting the.

Thumbnail by ibartoo   Thumbnail by ibartoo      

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9474496

I am about to put mine outside. Would morning sun be best or very hot late afternoon sun?
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 7, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9474926

Definitely morning sun! I had one of mine in afternoon sun while it's tree was being trimmed, and it got fried. I just cut about half of the leaves off, as they went from orange, to brown, to black. Fortunately, there are lots of new ones coming out, but there won't be but a couple of blooms on that one this year. Filtered sun is always best.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9475796

Thanks Carol. I will give it Morning sun since we have so few shade trees here. I am sure it will be happy there. The other plants that prefer filtered sun do well on that deck also. Thanks again. JB
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9489504

Concerning NOIDS, I have two that have budded while still small cuttings It will be interesting to try to identify them when they bloom which I think they will since the buds have gotten very big. bob
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9513986

For any of you that have NOIDs that you may not want, I am starting a teaching position with special ed high school students at a school where the school garden has been long neglected. I will be working on the garden this summer to get it in shape for the start of school (August 5th). I also hope to do a 'farmers market' at the school and sell rooted cuttings as well as started vegetables. I would love to get all kinds of plants that I can have my students grow to sell as well as to learn about the plants. Because of their lower level of functioning my students get as many programs as we teacher can develop so I hope to develop a horticulture program, in which students from other schools in my district can participate.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9514249

allgr8dogs
Can epies live outside year round in Arizona? I don't know much about your winter weather there. Do you have a glass house learning environment? bob

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9514270

allgr8dogs, I spent 7 years with the Goodwill Rehabilitation Facility and I know how much those kids loved doing projects like yours. I would love to send you something, please tell us about your climate. Do you want any veggie seeds? flower seeds? Bulbs? If I do not have them I may know someone who does. My neighbor has a farmers market and after I see your list of needs, I will be happy to hit on her for a donation. I have some begonias but they are mostly houseplants.
☺JB
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9514276

I have a small green house, and am putting up a hoop house, in addition. At home, I keep some of my succulents outside year-round, others go in my hoop house at home, and some I bring inside. I don't keep my Christmas cactus (I suspect it's not actually a Christmas cactus) outside when temps drop below 50. Some winters we never drop below 50. Last year we had the coldest winter in 45 years (26 degrees 5 nights in a row).

This message was edited May 9, 2013 8:51 PM
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 9, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9514977

The Epis will take those winter temps, but they would need some shade for the summer. Mine live outside year round here, hanging from trees, but we don't hit the high temps you do.
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9515256

At school we have an area for plants that need more shade. Our garden area also has some areas of filtered sun. I hope to get some shade cloth to decrease the worst of the fierce summer sun . At home I keep the majority of my succulents on my patio where they only get a few hours of sun, or where they get heavily filtered sun. The sun here is a killer in the summer. I swear I'm moving someplace not so hot when I retire.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 10, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9515787

Ha! Years ago I spent a couple of hours there in July...haven't been back since!
When looking at your temps, I saw 45 (years) rather than 26 degrees. Epis would need some protection from that much cold. We rarely get down to 32 here.

This message was edited May 10, 2013 10:48 AM
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2013
8:47 PM

Post #9516387

Typically, we have mild winters but it seems like every 5-7 years we get a hard frost. This winter we had the coldest winter on record of 5 nights of 26 degrees (not typical). I had to bring lots of plants inside. I was surprised that most of my dragon fruit plants were okay outside.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 17, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9523728

Allgr8dogs, I would be happy to send some plants. I put my epis outside and the squirrels have had a field day destroying a lot of them. So I have plenty I can share. I don't have much in the way of vegetables, but I can send a variety of others. Send me a dmail.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America