My find

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm wondering what this was used for, in the back there's a round hole at the top center with a very fine screen in it. I cant figure out what I've just acquired if anyone knows??? Thank you
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Englewood, FL

Wow !, great find, that might be a "breathing hole" in the back to allow air circulation for something electric, are there any telltale marks or screw holes on the inside that would suggest that something was removed? the screen will keep the spiders out.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Lovely find. Looks perfect there.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow, I didnt see them before, maybe this will help.
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

The "holes' on the sides/back, near the top are slots for the screws that hols the top on, so it's probably from the 50's or early 60's and my guess is it was either a turntable or tv console.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Very interesting !!! Thank you all ..
Christine

Englewood, FL

I agree with frogymon, the 6 holes near the top are screw holes to hold the top to the sides, not too sure about the holes in the bottom, they look different, do they all have screws in them,is there an open hole to let an electric cord go thru?

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 11:40 AM

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

The 3 in the back go straight through and I can fit my index finger in, the 2 on the sides also go through but a pencil barely fits through. There is no hole for the electric cord..
Christine

Ellenboro, NC(Zone 7a)

For some reason I'm thinking this was a radio cabinet, either before tv or right as black andbwhite tvs were starting to become affordable. I seem to vaguely remember one at a relative's house when I was young.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Since 2 of you think thats what it is you both must be right, so I'll call it a vintage radio cabinet. Thanks for all your input...
Christine

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Now, what treasure is it going to be Christine? lol

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Since I put it next to my bed, I'll put my books it in, I love it !!!!
Christine

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

That will be neat and orderly as well as attractive. Good score! Kristi

Englewood, FL

An electrical cord will fit thru any of the 3 holes in the back if the cord is pushed thru from the bottom & hooked up to whatever. Turn it over & see if you can find any clues of something that may have attached to the underside. Otherwise it's a great cabinet for just about anything & I'm envious.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

My wife recently found a Life Magazine from my birth month, Feb., 1949 and when I saw this add I wondered if the cabinet is similar to the one you bought.

Thumbnail by back40bean
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

back40bean, its very similar, wow, looks like frogyman was right on. How cool it is that your wife found a Life magazine showing the tv cabinet, tell her thanks.
infantail, everyone that see the cabinet says the same thing, they too are envious.

I'm very lucky to have had this fall into my lap and it was free !!!!!
Thanks again everyone :>)
Christine

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Such a great stand! You can always put another shelf in it too for your books. I have a wooden TV stand that looks like a tea cart that held a B&W TV (but this was from 1960). No doors on it, but it belonged to my mom and after she used it for years minus the TV it was given to me and DH put a back on it and a shelf. I use it for books and other things. Sitting in my living room.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I just love the older furniture, it has alot more character than the new stuff and it comes with a history. Today they dont make things like they use too.

Bushnell, FL

I think the age of that stand speaks of a time long before tv.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

romcfi, so whats your take on what it was used for? I'm still open minded for any thoughts LOL... as the mystery continues.
Christine

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I can remember seeing my first TV. I baby sat for people who lived across the street from my parents and they had this tiny TV set sitting on a small table and I was so thrilled to watching a test pattern on it. But, that was around around 1950 or 51, don't know just when people could buy their own set, my parents didn't have one yet. I'm anxious to hear more interesting stories on what it was used for.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

That makes a few of us Samigal LOL !!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.