Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pets: We have a new arrival from a rescue shelter!

Communities > Forums > Pets
bookmark
Forum: PetsReplies: 346, Views: 2,791
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9203773

That tee shirt that says "Rescues are the best breed" is a winner with us!

This is our new boy, a 3 year old eleven pound Havanese, with a ton of allergies and medical issues.

We lost Harry, a Lhasa Apso, at almost 15 years old, back in May. I realized if we waited until we didn't miss him anymore we might never have another dog so we went to the shelter (where we got Harry) and took home our new arrival after we were interviewed and they contacted our vet to make sure we were qualified to be adoptive parents.

So far he's been a happy and loving pet (enjoying car and truck rides) but he is not used to asphalt streets or walking on them and heads for the grass. He reacts as though it hurts his tender paws. He also hasn't been trained to use the great outdoors for his personal needs and poops on the bedroom floor. I've taken the poops and the pup to the dog pen to show him where we'd like him to go. He also hasn't barked but the need hasn't come up either.

He was in the rescue shelter since June 13th and in a previous shelter for the three weeks prior to that. He was picked up as a stray and my heart can't take the thought that someone let him go out without tags and no phone calls to locate him.

Any ideas on how to help him through this transition period? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9203827

Way to go, Pirl. I lost my 16-year old cat in January and I totally agree with you about "if we waited until we didn't miss them anymore, we might never get another." So true. What's his name?

Carla

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9203843

Perhaps you can set specific times to take him outdoors to do his business,
like in the morning, after meals and at bedtime. Lots of praise and a treat
every time he does what you want may make it more clear to him what is
expected of him. In his previous life he may have had a neglectful owner
who didn't give him a choice of where to go and he was forced to just go
wherever he could. And of course he was on the streets and also spent time
in shelters where going in his cage was his only option. Be patient and
repetitive and he'll soon learn.

Many blessings to you for giving this sweet pup another chance at a good life.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9203852

Carla - there are no words of comfort that make accepting the death of a beloved pet feel any better. I wish there were so I could offer them to you.

No name yet. Most recently he was Hawkeye but that was just for a month. He was a stray so we have no idea of his birth date or age. We're considering Lefty, Clem and Rocky as names.

June - My husband brought him out this morning, immediately, but he didn't do a thing in the dog's pen. He has wet on the grass. Tonight and tomorrow morning I'll feed him and then stay with him in the dog's pen/garden room. We can't give him any treats with all of his allergies but I can give him a belly rub, which he loves, and lots of praise.

It may sound unreasonable but the shelter said he'd be a big expense with all the medicines and allergies and special care needed. My feeling was that I know we'd do everything for the dog (as we've done for previous rescues we've adopted) and I couldn't be sure someone else would do the same so now he's ours and we're thrilled to have him.

Thumbnail by pirl

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9203957

If his feet are sensitive and he seems to prefer grass, is it possible to put
something soft on an area the floor of the dog's pen/garden room? I'm
thinking something like shavings or shredded newspaper. Just thinking
out loud about possibilities that might encourage him to understand
that that is "his area" for a specific function. Over time you could gradually
reduce the amount of shavings until he's willing to go on the ground. He may
have in the past been punished for doing his business in the wrong place so
is nervous about the whole situation.

I like two-syllable names so am voting for Rocky. ;-)

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9203979

I have had a piece of leftover synthetic carpeting in the garden room for quite awhile and he does like to pee on it. I can get another piece for his other needs.

I've always had two syllable pets, funny that you mention it! Our lates thought was Pepi.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9204112

When you call a pet (or a child) it helps to have two syllables. You
need that rising inflection on the second syllable! ;-) I like Pepi.

The carpeting sounds like a worthwhile experiment. Everything right now
is new and confusing to him so he just needs to be guided to what is "his"
and "OK" and what is not.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9204171

Thanks so much for your help, June. I told Jack (my DH) about the rug and he agrees. We have more of it leftover so it's certainly worth a trial.

It just happens that our favorite restaurant out here is named Pepi's. That may well be the name we select.

Thumbnail by pirl

laurief
Deer River, MN
(Zone 3b)

July 13, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9204283

Aww. He looks a lot like my Wookie, except that Wookie is about twice his size, and his coat is wavier than your boy's. It's possible that your guy's feet have been badly burned in the past by being forced to stand on hot pavement or asphalt, in which case his aversion to those surfaces is perfectly understandable. Grass, carpeting, or some other soft, not-heating surface will be a lot more inviting to him. If you must take him on hot surfaces, it might be wise to invest in a set of dog booties to protect his pads.

Laurie
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9204427

We're going to look into something to protect his feet. From the way he behaves we feel sure he was a house dog and didn't get to enjoy the great outdoors. His pads are in great shape and do not appear to have suffered at all. At the shelter the dogs are walked on grass so he's okay with that. He also shows no problem with brick and managed to leave a deposit while I was out gardening with him 20' away. I praised him and brought the evidence to the dog's pen and showed it to him.

Tonight he let out his first little Woof. Babies cough louder than that!

A few minutes ago he put himself to bed without being told or shown what to do. What a good pup!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 13, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9204489

My male schnauzer puppy is now 10 months. His name is Cecil. Everyone thought I was crazy but it is a perfect name for him.

Training is persistence. Outside when they wake up. Outside after they eat. I did not think they were ever going to get it but they finally did. Best think it is morning walk and late evening walk. I was also told they should not have full run of the house until they are trained.

Our neighbors across the street have a Havanese. Must be the breed because he has special food and terrible eye allergies. Our puppies are fed only dry dog food, no human food except yellow, red & orange peppers, sugar peas, asparagus and carrots. They love the peppers. The first 4 months were hell but I lived through it. Every time DH fed them something they should not have, they threw it up. Caught him every time.

We lost our 12 year old female schnauzer in October. A week later our 18 year old cat died. Not a good month. We have now had the puppies since first part of December and the new cat since mid January. They are all three best buddies and now the older male schnauzer actually joins in and plays with the cat. And we have made a special effort to make sure the older male schnauzer still has his own off limit to the puppies places. The older schnauzer is 4 pounds lighter in weight and he always gets the first walk. He sleeps on our bed with the cat and the puppies sleep in their crate.

I did not think I would ever get them trained, but I did. My DH has very little walking ability due to Parkinson so the walks were and are my responsibility. Today they had their first rain. Both the cat and the puppies. It was hilarious to watch.

Pirl, if I die, I want to come back as your rescue dog. What a lucky dog. Sharon

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9204556

Another thought if you can save a bit of his poo and use it to show
him where it is SUPPOSED to go he might catch on faster. When he
eventually catches on, praise him to bits.

I'm so glad you shared this with us, Pirl. I'm looking forward to following
the new adventures with you and this sweet little dog.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9204597

Pirl Whoopee, he made a little "deposit" on his own and you did
exactly the right thing by showing it to him in the pen. You're solidly
on the right track and I just know this will all work out well.

The little woof sound brought a tear to my eyes. He is letting go of his
fears, testing out what is acceptable and that is wonderful.

Sharon, you are another great example of someone with the heart
and patience to work with animals. I love the stories.

texaslady62
DISH, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9204683

Congrats on your new familiy member. He's adorable. Now, what I can say is that since he was a stray he probably burned his pads on the hot concrete and remembers it was hot. He will eventually learn that it won't at certain times. But don't push him. I suggest going to a pet store and buying one of those grassy pads that let them go to the bathroom in the house for now. It is going to take a little time. But ease in to your routine with him. Let him have a comfort zone to stay in while he is learning to trust.
Through the years I have taken care of several traumatized animals. Even a horse, for about six months, I used the fence as a comfort zone until she trusted me enough to be right with her. When it was all said and done, she followed me around like a dog. I gave her to a family with children and she is happy to this day.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9204713

Thanks, everyone! He's adapting well and even peed next to the outdoor (leftover) rug. He sniffed his older poops this morning but didn't add to it.

Jack is the official walker here and just getting the dog out of the garage (fear of driveway/asphalt) is a job but once he gets to the grass he's fine. So they go on a grass walk in the morning, lunch time and before bed. He always has the dog's pen available. He'll see the vet today and we'll get his/her opinion on the asphalt situation. He seems very sensitive to heat since he's willing to walk on the driveway at 9:30 PM.

His little Woof last night was so sweet. He really just wanted to be at Jack's side. What a cutie!

I was the first one up this morning and he greeted me happily. I gave him his medicines as I took my own vitamins and then took him out to the dog's pen and stayed with him there for awhile. He doesn't mind the cement or brick and enjoys the grass. When we got back inside I brought him to see Jack, who was sound asleep. What a morning greeting! He did everything but flips and couldn't stop kissing Jack. I think it's the biggest compliment Jack has ever had and hope Jack doesn't expect me to roll over repeatedly, jump up and down and give him 100 kisses a minute!

Here he is with my daughter as he gets his first belly rub from her. It was love at first sight for all of us with our sweetie.

Thumbnail by pirl

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9204717

He's adorable and I wish you all the happiness in the world. God Bless you for taking him into your home, he's a very lucky dog, he's now in his forever home...
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9204723

Thanks, Christine. Maybe he's the one who rescued us from hum drum!

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9204863

Pirl -- I was consumed with envy at the picture of your lawn! We've had such severe
drought here for the past two years that our "lawn" is reduced to a brown patchy mess.

Pup's joy at greeting his new family is like a little miracle. Amazing how forgiving animals
can be of their past experiences and how willing they are to trust again. He's landed
in the right place at the right time.

bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9205208

God bless you for taking him in. It will bring you more joy that any one can ever imagine.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9205340

Pirl, one of my bosses has a Havanese and he comes to work quite often. He is a lovebug. He is very smart and loves to be around people. He's a very quiet dog, except when someone he doesn't know approaches the office door. Then he sounds like a much larger dog. His owner has him trained on a wee wee pad. I don't know why he doesn't walk him. I think it's due to the condo he lives in. This dog is very good with young children.

Maybe he is not used to using the great outdoors. I am sure you are going to enjoy your new pup. I'm not a dog person and I've fallen in love with the dog at work.

I wish you good luck with your new friend. He is just a cutie!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9205341

June - that was taken at my daughter's house, 7 miles away. Tomorrow I'll take a few here. Our grass is just about as green. Thank you for your very sweet comment. Our little sweetie knew exactly what to do this morning when Jack walked him - no more issues with training him to go outside. Now he actually shows off and goes repeatedly, probably just for the praise.

Bseward - God bless the shelters and their employees for bringing him back to good health. He does bring enormous joy and big smiles.

This afternoon we were at a big neighborhood party and a few people made faces when they heard of his many ailments and medications. One actually said, "That dog should never have been put up for adoption", and she is a lovely person. I told her that if the dog doesn't mind Jack and I taking our vitamins and a few medicines, doesn't mind Jack using Refresh for his dry eyes and doesn't care that we both have the tremors then who are we to demand perfection from a dog?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9205343

Elsie - we cross posted.

Thanks for the encouragement and praise for the Havanese as well as your good wishes. No one at the party had heard of the breed. They are loving, intelligent dogs, quick to learn, and good with other animals as well as children. I've rung our own doorbell to see his reaction but there's no stranger at the door, just me, so no barking yet.

I did persuade him to cross the courtyard, then the driveway and play on the lawn around 7:30. He was so very curious at the big world and the driveway didn't seem to bother his little paws. I'll keep taking him out to get him used to it and in time he'll come around.

When I took him for a little drive around the area he was at the window every minute and loved the tour.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9205375

Pirl, I think Barbara Walters had a Havanese. I think that's where I heard of them first. The dog at work is very quiet - I think he barks when he sees someone strange in the glass of the door. His bark is a big surprise. Be aware - the dog at work likes to play keep away. The owner now has to use a treat to get him back in the office. The dog stands with his paw right at the seam in the carpet and won't budge an inch. The owner lives in Long Island and commutes to NJ every day with him. Everyone says what a good traveler he is. Oh and the other thing - he doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. He's one of those big little dogs.

This is Teddy at work.

Thumbnail by elsie

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9205387

How sweet! He's like a little Teddy bear so he's perfectly named.

We went to the vet's this morning and our boy made friends with a giant yellow lab. It was cute to watch them together. He was willing to make friends with the cat, Whiskers, but the owner held the cat back and the cat didn't even seem bothered by the dog's friendly attitude. For a breed we had never heard of, we're learning a lot about them and we're so grateful to have him.

Does Teddy have any skin allergies or medical issues that the owner mentions?
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9205392

I don't know of any medical issues that Teddy has. I think that the breed has hair rather than fur.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9205397

Thanks. That's a relief. They told us at the shelter that the Havanese don't shed so I guess it is hair. I just brushed him tonight and got 10 kisses in return. To my way of thinking that's reward enough!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 14, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9205542

Pirl, the Havanese across the street has many allergies and problems. They have had him since he was a puppy. I will find out exactly what his problems are. We have babysit him many times in our home. He is adorable and sits on the couch pillow behind you while you watch TV. The only problem is he wants to sleep in our bed, on my pillow. He is now 10 years old and has a major problem. I will also find out about that. He came from a top breeder in California. Hugs, Sharon
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9205605

I had never heard of the Havanese breed until a dear friend got one a couple of years ago. Her name is Lovey and she's adorable. I too haven't heard of their mentioning any health issues with Lovey but I'll check. When we met Lovey, we discovered she was aptly named. She truly is a love and the perfect dog for my friend.

Betty
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9205649

Thanks, Sharon. I'd appreciate knowing anything that can help us help him. So far, he takes his medicines like a pro and is using the dog's pen for the right reasons. His big thrill each morning, after being outside and after breakfast and med's, is going in to see Jack. He already knows who "Daddy" is and loves being petted. Now Jack even gives in to a kiss or two on the ear! Success!

He's too small to make the leap to any bed, loveseat, chair, etc. so no problems with bed for him (or us).

Betty - Lovey would fit so well. The more I read about them, the more I realize they are the ideal breed for us.

It was news to me that articles state the prevalence of juvenile cataracts requires an annual exam by an opthamologist. Our vet's office has four doctors so I hope one is experienced with the issue.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9205702

Pirl - sweet little doggy! Maybe the asphalt issue is the color (dark) and not the asphalt. Maybe he can't see that anything is there - it just looks like empty space to him.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9205713

Thanks, AYC. He has no problem with the driveway now, just the street. Both driveway and street are asphalt so I'm guessing it's the gravel in the Town's asphalt mix that bothers his pads.

Here's a shot of the pup on the lap of the man who said he never wanted a lap dog!!!

Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9205785

That's a great picture.

I'm not a dog person but I do love the dog at work. I have thought of taking him home and raising him as a cat - with my cat Chloe.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9205836

Pirl, I am so happy to hear that the baby is working out. So is he, he has a forever home now.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 15, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9205839

Your pooch looks exactly like a dog my mother had 50 years ago . It was given to her and know no history on it . the dogs name was Buttons . Mother did say that all those dogs had a natural part down the back . Does the Havanese have that parting of the hair ? Buttons was allowed to have a litter . Only got one pup , a female and her name was Candy , altho a cross breed , she looked just like her mother and both were the sweetest dogs ever . I'm jealous .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9205857

Elsie - that would be funny to raise the dog as a cat. I wonder if he'd use a scratching post.

Torriesmom - He certainly does! He put his name on our hearts immediately. It really was love at first sight and we have no regrets.

Digger - Lhasas have the part down the back and so does this charming guy. I think quite a few breeds have it.

Years ago I allowed my Lhasa to mate and she had four pups, three males and one female. We kept two of the pups and they all had much nicer coats than the mother. Most of them lived 'til they were 14, as did our rough Collie and our Bearded Collie.

If you're jealous from photos you'd be super jealous to meet him. He has this adorable habit, when I'm offering him both breakfast and dinner, of rolling over first before eating.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9205871

Pirl, that's funny about rolling over. Teddy does that. He won't sit but he will roll over. Sometimes if he gets excited he tries to do all his tricks at once. He tries to roll over without laying down on the floor. I think you are in for some great times with him.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9205902

That is so funny about the rolling over! Smitty (he finally got a name in the last hour) will sit but very briefly, then roll over. Jack and I howled at Teddy doing all his tricks at once.

It's Smitty because we are both smitten with him!

Now we're taking him on a ride to Petco for booties, hypo allergenic treats and some hard toys. He's too quick to take apart the soft toys. Soon he'll have me trained to sit in the back since he prefers the passenger seat. We do have a seat belt for him.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9205920

Oh I'm just so happy for you, Jack & Smitty!!! He indeed is adorable and lucky you found him.

Tam
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9205926

I think Smitty is adorable..and that is coming from a cat person..

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9205971

Smitty! What a wonderful name for this little guy. It's cute, boyish and a bit
sassy, just like he seems to be.

Pirl, I admire all the progress you've made in just a few days since you first
posted here. Smitty is destined to bring a lot of joy into your life in return for
the loving forever home he so deserves.

I love this thread and hope you will continue to keep us up to date on
Smitty.

bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9206032

I heard back from my friend about Lovey and whether she has any medical issues. Here's what she had to say:

"When the allergies are out for us all, Lovey will sneeze and her eyes will run, but nothing big - the one thing to know about is the problem with their patella in their legs - the knee cap shifts to one place and won't go back in place such as a fall - it's got to be fixed or the Havanese will have terrific arthritis later on.

They are the most wonderful breed and I don't know what we would do without her. They are a very smart dog - when she wants to be- however she has the attention span of a fly!!"

As you can tell, they're in love with Lovey.

It's so wonderful that Smitty has found his forever home and I know you two will be blessed by him.

Betty
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9206070

Smitty is a great name. I'm sure he is going to bring you both lots of joy.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9206290

Thanks so much to Tammy, Melva, June, Betty and Elsie.

I will keep this thread updated, June, and hope to encourage anyone who wants a pet to try a rescue shelter.

Betty - I read about the luxating patella in Havanese and we will keep an eye out for any problems. I really appreciate your help.

When we got in the car today I told Smitty to get in the back. Now this is only his third ride in the car. He immediately hopped into the back. One smart dog! So much better than trying to share Jack's seat, which he's done already.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 15, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9206311

Oh , drat . My girlfriend called me awhile ago and her friend has two , little , young schnauzers to give a home to . Wants to keep them together . Bro and sis , I think . Told her no, I was too old to take them because they would outlive me for sure, and since I lost my little long hair chihuahua just two weeks ago today , and I have another old dog , I just couldn't put myself through the pain of losing more dogs .
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9206366

Love the name Smitty! There are harnesses for dogs that tie into the seat belt to keep them safe in and accident. (I had one for a cat who used to ride in the car with me.)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9206406

Aw Digger - maybe you ought to meet them before making a decision? So sorry to hear you lost your chihuahua.

Pirl - can't wait to hear & see more of our new DG fur-family member!

Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9206414

Digger - my sympathies to you on the loss of your pet. If I knew any magic words to make the pain go away I'd offer them to you but I don't. It's all part of the loving process with us pet lovers.

Yes, AYC, we do have that kind of harness for him.

Tam - we found out tonight that like Harry, the Lhasa we lost in May, Smitty has no intention of allowing his feet or his body to experience rain in any form. Here's a photo of Harry who will never be forgotten.

Thumbnail by pirl

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9207238

RIP Harry.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9210433

How is Smitty doing? Any new pictures?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9210626

He went for his first full check-up at the vet's today and everyone there loved him - no big surprise.

He now has an ear wash, a special ear ointment, special bath and special lotion for his allergies. His feet have to be washed or rinsed off after every jaunt outside. He still has his fish oil, eye ointment for juvenile cataracts, Benedryl, and Keflex. The vet said his health issues had been ignored for a very long time to get him in the state he is, which is much better than when the shelter first got him.

He has to remain on his z/d dog food so I'll be ordering that tonight, online.

We're willing to be in a year or less most of his problems will be gone. We hope so!

Jack goes food shopping on Tuesdays (while I clean and/or garden) so when he returns it's always been return of the great hunter time as he brings home rotisserie chicken, cheese, cold cuts, etc. Smitty was most thrilled to get a slice of turkey!

Thumbnail by pirl

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9210658

Oh my that picture just brought a huge smile to my face! They both look so happy!!!
Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9210678

Thanks, Tammy. He is such a joy and loves to lay in either my lap or Jack's just to be petted. Often he falls asleep there. He was told just once where his bed was and that it was bedtime and now goes to bed without having to be told.

He isn't good at taking food from our fingers and his teeth are as sharp as razors! We've learned to offer tidbits in the palm of our hands.

The vet was very nice and said his pads are inflamed - that's why he was so hesitant to walk on the street. She said he must have been an indoor dog and not a pet that had the outdoor experience.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9210691

Love the picture! I sure hope all his ills go away with your good care. I love your sewing machine table -how ingenious.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9210712

The vet feels his problems were multiplied from not receiving care. Now his med's are lined up for morning, as usual. He is SO good about taking them!

That sewing machine base, with a board on top, was a gift to me 49 years ago. I had Jack make a new top and a shelf as part of it for phone directories, local maps, etc. It's super handy.

I had been out gardening while Jack shopped and was coming back inside, camera in hand, when I spotted this face who was waiting for Jack to return. Is this adorable or what?

Thumbnail by pirl

bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9210726

How precious.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9210738

Aww - what a cutie!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9210769

Thanks, Betty and Elsie. He's always in a good mood, always happy and eager for a good belly rub. He loves to kiss me after I've had two M & M's.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 18, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9210887

Pirl, it is delightful to see you two and Smitty having such a wonderful time. The photo of Smitty waiting at the door is adorable.

When we got the puppies in December, the first 4 months were hell. I forgot how time consuming training was. But now one of us is trained. Me or the puppies. At least two walks a day. The older schnauzer has even gotten younger and more active with the puppies.

And the puppies love to be brushed and combed.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I look forward to seeing what Smitty is up to. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9211052

Thanks, Sharon. When Jack leaves to go to the post office/bank/store, etc. Smitty goes into Jack's bathroom and takes his place next to Jack's slippers - too cute!

(Sorry about the photo being so fuzzy!)

Thumbnail by pirl

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9211288

Pirl, I'm not sure which I envy most the adorable Smitty or that
glorious sewing machine base desk! ;-)

It just makes my day to see this little guy settling in and feeling secure
in his new home.

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9211316

I do believe Smitty could be the luckiest dog in the world. :-)

Carla
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 19, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9211506

Precious doesn't do either of you three justice .
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 19, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9211724

Pirl, I'm just seeing this for the first time. This entire thread just makes me smile big time! I think Smitty is the luckiest fella in the whole wide world!
Hugs&blessings to the 3 of you!
Susan
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9211745

Thanks, everyone.

Carla - we feel we're the luckiest "parents" in the whole world.

Digger - how sweet of you!

Our sweetie now loves being outside on the grass. It's a huge new world for him. He smells everything!

This shot is for June.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9211748

Thanks, Susan. He's so sweet!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9211766

Just saw this Pirl, and didn't read the whole thread, but did want to tell you that he is a doll.

One thing tho, the first thing we learned was that their crate/cage, or whatever you want to call it, is the last place they want to go to the bathroom. They don't want to mess up their bed.

However, you will adjust, all 3 of you, and yes, you did the right thing. Especially due to his medical issues. That is why he was there so long, because a lot of people can't afford to pay for them. I am glad to know that the Rescue people do inform people of them tho. He is a lucky little guy.

Jeanette
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9211773

Smitty is vern nice dog, he looks and acts like he is at home. By the way, I learned how to sew on the sewing machine like you have. When I first came to US they asked me , since I could not speak English, what can I do with my hand. I told them that I can sew. they took me to a sewing factory. Nobody told me that the sewing machine was electric. I took some learning to relearn . But my first paycheck was $52.oo dollars, I tought I was rich. I am glad for you three, but wait till he leaves a present in Jacks sleepers, he won't be no special after that. Just kidding. Etelka
Had some more rain again, so everything is growing, today I watered with epsom salts , hope that will give the clems some last boost.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9211807

Hi Jeanette - Smitty reacts happily to the word "walk" and does all his business precisely where he's supposed to. The shelter is very good and the vet there gave us the medical information and said his care could be "burdensome". We're thinking he'll be fine in less than a year.

Etelka - I seriously doubt Smitty would even consider leaving anything but a paw print in Jack's slippers. Now they're watching TV and Smitty is curled up, as usual, at Jack's feet. My mom had a Singer sewing machine - not electric. I bought an electric one in 1965 for $49.00 and still have it! Hurray for the rain. We were due for "rain all day" but if it lasted 10 minutes it was a lot. I'd love a rainy day to relax. Today I worked from 10:30 to 6 PM. The shower felt divine.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9211963

Wow Pirl, what a beautiful boy Smitty is! Lucky him! Lucky you!

I have been reading all about Patrick of the The Patrick Miracle. So very upsetting even with the happy ending! The world needs more Pirls for sure!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 19, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9212053

I just shared the cutest one minute video on my facebook . Every pooch lover should see it .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9212189

Thank you, Kell.

Digger - please post a link. Thanks.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9212351

Here's the link to the video Digger mentioned. It has a happy ending thanks to the help of a few good people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnb1dap1Is

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9212361

pirl,

He is an incredibly adorable little fella. I can't believe anyone was willing to let him go, but I'm sure glad that you came along at the right time to give him a home. Sorry to hear about your previous loss. I've been there, so I know that nothing but time can heal that wound.

I jumped over the mid section of posts. Just didn't have time now to read everything but wanted to offer a few ideas for helping him learn to do his business when/where you prefer. If you are still having difficulty getting him to go in the desired area, there are several products which might be helpful. There is a spray designed to 'scent' puppy pads. People cannot smell it. Compared to dogs, we are the olfactory equivalent of blind. You could use the spray on other surfaces, as well. It basically marks the spot, in dog terms, as the place to 'go'. In addition, they make a little plastic fire hydrant that is pre-scented and acts as a marker for where to go. The fire hydrant has a removable, plastic spike on the bottom for use outdoors as well as indoors (w/o spike). I used one of these outside to mark the spot where I wanted my dog to go.

June's suggestion about praising him lavishly when he goes in the desired location is in line with the recommendations I got from a trainer. I was told to make a big production out of it, praising him, and showing how happy I was - not loud and overly excited, but praising and happy. I used to say, "Good boy" while my dog was in the act and then clap lightly (the seal thing) after my dog had finished and returned to me. I would pet him and just shower him with accolades as though he had just won the Westminster. He wants to please you, so the idea is to let him know in a big way when he does.

Hope the potty situation is getting better. Again, he is a very adorable little guy.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9212597

Thanks, Dream. He learned what to do and where to do it and hasn't had a problem since then. I do praise him and so does Jack.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9212653

Excellent. I knew there was a chance I would be addressing a problem that had already been solved, but then that's the best possible outcome. Sounds like a success story.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9212677

It's all working out just fine.

We had such a funny scene at Petco today as I was putting boots on him. He looked ridiculous and hated every boot style. The ones meant for his size were too small for his paws and larger ones made him look like a little boy wearing daddy's slippers. I can't recall having so much fun in a store!

This afternoon he actually left the grass, while Jack was walking him, and crossed the street! I guess his feet are healing or he's feeling more comfortable with the asphalt. Of course, it was raining lightly so that probably made it cooler and more tolerable for him.

I did call the shelter to let them know of his great progress. The worker, Margaret, who helped us so much with the adoption was so happy I called. I told her about the vet's visit and new medicines as well as his potty progress. I told her that when he's back in perfect shape we'd go back for a visit and she said it made her day. Here's our buddy, Margaret.

Thumbnail by pirl

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9212710

That video brought tears to my eyes... I just love a happy ending!
Tam
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9212843

I'm glad he's settling in for you. It sounds like you are making great progress. I got a real kick out of you telling that he is too short to climb on a bed as my dog can climb in a half open window on a mini van.

pirl wrote:Here's the link to the video Digger mentioned. It has a happy ending thanks to the help of a few good people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnb1dap1Is

What's funny is I just saw that video a couple of nights ago.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2012 9:51 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9212897

We had a rescue hound/beagle mix, Joey, who could almost leap tall buildings in a single bound. He was a fun dog. He got too close to a fawn (we guess) and the doe kicked him in the chest, knocking out his lung, and he died a few hours later after being operated on at the animal hospital.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9212940

I'm sorry about Joey. My neighbor has two beagles and the male is a busy body. He's always trying to trail anything and he will dig trying to get at things in the ground. They are both busy bodies.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2012
12:01 AM

Post #9213031

Here is the update to Pirl's and Digger's video of scared Edie no more getting adopted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOmDmSrW33w&feature=fvwrel
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9213130

Thanks, Kell. That was sweet of you to post. Happy endings are just the best!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9213151

Today's date goes down in Smitty's baby book: he willingly and happily took his first full walk around the block...on the asphalt road! He'll probably have to "sleep it off" but I'm very happy that he's made such progress.

Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 21, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9213225

I hate to hijack in again about this , but the video on Edie isn't the one I wanted everyone to see . The one I was trying to link is" Wrong Automation" on youtube. My daughter has a sweeper like that and I couldn't resist sharing
Sorry about my first try at sending link . I need to go to the practice forum and get this down pat .
You named that pooch just right . He looks like a Smitty . I just love hairy , dogs . My Gracie has the softest hair but just when it gets to the cuddle length , it mats and she's ready for another clip . Maybe a few walks on the asphalt will give him a thicker pad on his feet . I see many loving years for the family .
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9213252

Links are easy. They paste link any other text.

First go to the address bar ( that's the space that the link goes in in the browser. It's the one that starts http

Click in it. If it doesn't highlight the whole thing, hold down the control key and hit a. This will high light the whole address. Right click and chose copy. Now go to Dave's garden click in the message area where you want it, right click and choose paste. Your link is there. There must be a space before the http and DON'T put punctuation after the link. There must be a space there. The computer counts every thing between the two spaces as part of the link.

After you write what you want preview it and click on the link. If it doesn't work you can fix it then. The most common ways to mess up a link is to cut one end or the other off. If it doesn't start with http then it isn't going to be a link. Sometimes the last letter is cut off. Another way is to put a comma or period at the end of the link because it's natural for you to type a period at the end of a sentence. Periods are also hard to spot on many monitors.

One other tid bit. If you type the whole thing out then everything after the slash that comes after the .com or dot whatever is case sensitive.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 2:52 PM

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9213264

I love reading all about Smitty & his new family. Isnt it amazing how one dog can help with the healing of a broken heart when we loose our dogs & cats for that matter.

I did cry watching the first video of Edie and cried tears of joy over the second video..
Christine
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9213719

So happy to hear about Smitty's progress. Such good news.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9213770

Thanks, Christine and Torriesmom. Tonight we had a big event - Smitty got to shower with me! He was such a good boy and allowed me to wet him down, apply the special shampoo that had to stay on for 5 minutes (while I showered and washed my hair) then I rinsed him off, applied my own conditioner and rinsed my hair over Smitty so he'd get some conditioner. He sparkles.

NO, I did not take photos in the shower!

We have to go through this 3 times a week. I will say that after gardening for 8 hours today, around a lot of pine trees, my hands are spotlessly clean! That dog shampoo may become my hand wash after gardening.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 21, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9213988

Arlene, this has nothing to do with Smitty but I knew you would like this. I saw it on Facebook and thought of you immediately. I do not like the frame.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 21, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9213999

Smitty is blending beautifully. What a jewel that he will take a shower. Jack looks so happy with his new buddy. So happy for both of you.

My two puppies wait for me to get out of the shower so they can help dry my legs.

Because it is so hot here I have a doggie water bottle half full in the freezer. When I get the bottle out of the freezer to fill the rest of the way, they go nuts. Their favorite treat is yellow and red bell peppers. They also like broccoli. Probably because they only get their dry dog food and raw vegetables. The Vet and I are trying to keep these puppies healthy.

Take care and enjoy Smitty. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9214118

That's a beauty, Sharon. I already copied the photo - thank you.

Smitty was so cute in the tub and so good when I dried him off but he still shook off the excess water as every dog I've had has done. Then he was racing around the house. Since he was sparkling clean it was fine with us.

Is the dry dog food allergy free? Is it one of the grain free products?

Smitty likes a bit of lettuce and some red peppers but since the vet wants him on only the z/d allergy free dog food, he's not getting many goodies. He's down to two a day now and they're allergy free dog bonies.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 28, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9221796

So what is going on with Smitty. All is well here. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9222189

We're all fine, Sharon, and Smitty enjoyed (ha ha ha) another shower with me last night. (Second photo)

Earlier yesterday Jack had Smitty in his lap for some "quality" time and they both fell asleep. Smitty is not scratching and, while he doesn't take the full walk around the block most days, he does walk with Jack about a block away to sniff where the neighborhood dogs have been.

He takes all his medicines and treatments without a problem and he looks wonderful. No one would guess the life he had before the shelters.

He even gave me a box of Godiva this morning!

P.S. I know it's early but...Happy Birthday, Sharon.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9222279

He has gorgeous green eyes???!!!! or is that an artifact of the camera? (Love the snoozing duo.)

Tam
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9222309

Hi Pirl - Just spotted this thread and had a wonderful time reading all the posts. It's heart-warming how everything has worked out with Smitty so I thought it very appropriate to wish you a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope the 3 of you have a wonderful day!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9222338

It's just the way the flash hits the retina, Tammy. I tried changing it but couldn't. He has big brown eyes. He's such a good snoozer no matter which lap he is occupying.

Nutsaboutnature - thank you for the greetings. He takes his time when he's outside walking and makes us take notice of everything around us as he gazes up at trees or down at bugs or a moth passing. The world is so big and so new to him that he makes us appreciate everything more...even Godiva!

Sorry for the fuzzy photo but keeping him from attacking the box was a major job!

All three of us will go to my daughter and SIL's later to join my granddaughter, Megan, who just turned 21 yesterday and my grandson, 6 year old Charlie, to celebrate with my son and his girlfriend.

Thumbnail by pirl

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9222339

Happy Birthday Pirl!!!!

Scirocco hopes you find a perfect spot to spend your day

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9222354

Thank you, Tammy. What a fantastic shot of Scirocco!

Thumbnail by pirl

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9222413

Happy Birthday Pirl!! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Smitty looks great. So nice to hear he is feeling and looking better. Love the picture of the snoozing pair.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 29, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9222687

Happy birthday ! Both of you look so relaxed .
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 29, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9222702

Happy Birthday to you also. I am going to be 70. Oh my goodness. I cannot believe I am going to be 70.

Smitty is a great dog with offers of Godiva. I am getting ready to brush the puppies. They are way over due. Shame on me. But they are really good about being combed and brushed.

Thanks for the update. Sharon

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9222834

Happy BIRTHDAY Pirl, I'm sure you enjoyed your day with your family & Godiva. It's like Smitty has been a part of your family forever, he's fit in so perfectly. I was just down on the Island in June, next time I'll have to see if I can get out your way and meet you & Smitty, I'd be honored to meet such a wonderful lady as you. I grew up in Nassau so it's a huge difference coming out your way. Blessings sent to all of you!!!
Christine

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9222854

Hoping you have a great new year, Pirl!

So tell me what you had for your birthday dinner!

Thumbnail by Kell

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9222874

Thanks, Elsie. The snoozing duo both enjoy it.

Digger - Smitty is quick to relax so fast that he falls asleep in my arms. It's almost like having a baby that doesn't need changing or hand feeding.

You know, Sharon, that I made it through the 70th year without any problems and I hope you do as well. Smitty loves being combed and I do it nightly.

Christine - I lived in Nassau from '62 to '91 and enjoyed it. Where in Nassau did you grow up? We've been 90 miles east of Nassau for the last 21 years and we love it out here. There's a lot less traffic and a quieter pace of life here. Anytime you're down this way just drop me a Dmail and we can meet.Thanks for the greetings. It does feel like Smitty has been with us for much longer than just 17 days.

Thanks, Kell. The color of your blossoms does match lobster rolls! Tonight I settled for Eggplant Parmigiana since we had enough cake at my daughter's house. She's really good at baking!

Thumbnail by pirl

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9222935

That's a beautiful cake!!! She's very talented.

Tam
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9223025

Pirl, that is a beautiful cake.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9223038

Thanks, Tammy and Elsie. She is very talented and the cake was excellent. We'll share the remaining piece of it tomorrow.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9223142

Share it with me, Birthday Girl! Looks so good!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9223320

pirl I grew up in Massapequa in the 60's , I moved upstate in 92 and love living in the mountains. The only thing I miss about the Island is the beach. That cake has got me drooling LOL... I will let you know when I'm down that way again. Have a Happy Day !!!
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9223374

Too late, Kell. Better luck next year. It was the Waldorf Astoria recipe she used (as if that matters to me). We'll celebrate again Wednesday night with dinner at the Jamesport Manor and I'll take photos.

Christine - we weren't that far from you in Hicksville! We get our mountain fix in Maine each year. We seldom go to the beach in summer but I haunt the beaches in winter for driftwood. We found this in January of 2006 and it's my favorite piece. It's totally hollow on the inside so it wasn't a major job to haul it home. Every year I try something different with it.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9224012

Now that is some beautiful driftwood, what great ideas you did with your plantings, Is that your house, my old eye's think I'm reading Jamesport ???

I liked Hicksville, it was a nice town, ever run into Billy Joel back in the 60's ?
Here's a shot of Robert Moses when I was down there last month. The beach still looks nice.
And of course The Duck !!!

Thumbnail by jasminesmom   Thumbnail by jasminesmom

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9224170

Thanks. The best beach for driftwood is out in East Marion. We have 14 beaches in Southold but we generally find smaller pieces locally.

Wish it were my house! It's the Jamesport Manor, in Jamesport.

No Billy Joel hanging out in the 60's but by the 70's he was hanging out in Oyster Bay (the village) and I worked in East Norwich (next village south) and he was always dropping in and playing piano in Oyster Bay. I think he still has a home in Oyster Bay Cove.

Gotta love the duck. That has been moved so often and still looks as good as ever.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

July 30, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9224377

Well Emma and Cecil got their baths today after combing. Then they helped me change the linens on our bed. While helping me the cat came into play. Emma got a hold of Izzy, the cat, tail and started walking away with the tail. Izzy let her know immediately that was not good. These three make me laugh out loud every day. Izzy is a year old and the puppies will be 11 months on the 9th of August.

God bless the Vet's office that called us when the cat was turned into them. Our cat of 18 years died in October 2011 and she has been a great replacement. Our female schnauzer died the same month.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9224562

We need some photos of your pups along with Izzy. I'd love to see them.

Pets do take us away from ourselves and their playfulness is such a joy to see. I'd love to have seen the cat telling the dog, "NO".

Losing a pet is tragic, losing two in a month is agony.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 31, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9224567

We had a young black bear in the front yard this morning . Wish I had a picture to share

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9224665

Oh digger I'm jealous, I've only seen a bear twice where I live. I've been following a clan of research bears out in Mn. for over 2 years now. You should check out there site, bear.org this is Lily my favorite. Isnt she a beauty??
Christine

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9224824

I'm very happy to meet Lily in a photo but please keep her up with you! The deer are even too much for me to deal with.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 31, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9224956

Gosh , Pirl , we watched a mama with her spotted twins the last two days . A buck spike was following them yesterday . D H used to feed them every day . He would beat on the feed can and they would come running from the woods all around us . He could walk among them to put out the feed ,and our little dog would smell noses with several of them . I had to convince him that they were so tame that they wouldn't have a chance when hunting season opened . When he first started feeding them , we had very few neighbors . About six moved in in two years and altho there should be no hunting in our area , it isn't illegal in season .
This is the second bear in the yard this summer . Both within 15 ' of our porch and that doesn't count the one (s) that raided our bird feeder that we didn't see .I'll check out the bear org site.
Where we winter in Texas , we don't get driftwood . We have to go to the barrier island that shelters the bays and that's a long trip by boat . You get all kinds of stuff that washes up out of the gulf .I envy you , I can't get my kid to put anything in the boat except fish . (Oh, where did I go wrong ?)
I have to go to the county shelter and to the local no kill shelter tomorrow . I can't look at the animals because I want to take them all and I know if they have a Yorkie mix , or pure , I'll bring it home and that would be pushing my luck with D H . I just took a sweet Jack Russel in this week .We just lost our long hair chihuahua one month ago today and he was a surrender from a family that the kids started to school . He was left home alone all day and they wanted an active home for him . He had two little girls of his own and I never saw a chihuahua that loved children as much as him .
You sure lucked out with your baby , Pirl .

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9225133

If the deer didn't eat my roses, hostas, daylilies, some of the hydrangeas, sedum (and more) I could almost like them but one of them stomped the chest of our rescue beagle/hound, Joey, and even though we got him to the hospital (on a Sunday, of course) and had him operated on, we lost him later that day. The vet said he didn't believe the story at first but saw the hoof outline as he sedated Joey for the surgery. He even apologized. Neighbors also witnessed it.

Here's a photo of a photo of Joey doing his "Chicken dance". He loved when I made a roast chicken and would do his dance until I could refrigerate the remains...after giving him some skin, naturally!

Smitty stays by his empty plate after dinner until I give him one teaspoon of yogurt. What a cutie he is and so quick to catch on to our habits.

Thumbnail by pirl

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9225230

How cute, Joey doing the chicken dance, amazing how the deer can take out a garden in a night, they LOVE hosta's, they ate plenty of mine.
Smitty knows how good he has it, he's a very smart dog, we need more pictures pirl !!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9225359

I'd take more photos, Christine, but he keeps doing his, "I am so adorable" pose and you've all seen that one.

I've been using Liquid Fence with success but I just didn't get to spraying the rose garden or the daylilies so the deer took care of both of those.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9225537

That is so sad, Pirl! How horrible for all of you. And what a sudden loss. Joey looks like he was so cute. I didn't realize deer would do that.

That being said, I have so enjoyed a page on Facebook for awhile now that chronicles the friendship of a deer named Pip and a great dane, Kate. If you look thru the photos, you will see Pip as a baby with Kate thru today when she has now had 2 of her own deer litters. It is really a great true story of the friendship between a dog and deer. [HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]

Love the bear photos, Jasminesmom.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9225681

OK pirl, I'll just have to be patient to see more pic's

kell, I cant wait to see the story of Pip and thanks I think Lily is so beautiful and it's quite a story of Lily the black bear,
she has over 140k fans on her facebook page LOL
Have a Happy Day everyone
Christine
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 1, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9225741

It's terrible that deer can get a dog (or human ) down and beat them up like that . I saw it filmed on T V a coupla weeks ago . . I lost Red Dog , who decided to come out of the woods and make his home here , to what I assumed was a bear attack . Now I wonder if a deer cut him up like that . R D never lost his fear of people and altho I trapped him on the porch many times and petted , hand fed him , he never would let anyone touch him when he was loose . I regret that I couldn't catch him to take him to the vet and he died after three days ,poor baby . He lived here ,for about eight years . He looked to be a chow mix , beautiful .
The deer ate the bloom buds off my azaleas three winters in a row , which was another factor in me getting D H to stop feeding them . I do enjoy knowing they are around , in the woods, to see once in awhile . Now I have a possum eating the cat food at night on the porch . Oh well , I have a humane trap and it will end up a mile across the river in a few days .
My dogs eat their treats off the end of a spoon too . So cute to see them lined up , waiting their turn .
Also , if a bear really wanted to get in the house , it would have no problem coming through a locked door or window .

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9226475

digger, when it comes right down to it any wild animal can be vicious beyond our wildest imaginations especially if they may have their babies near by and we not even know it, It's heartbreaking what they can do to our pets & live stock. Nature is so cruel some times, for us and for them, and its so true about bears, if they are hungry which is most of the time, they will do what ever it takes to fatten them selfs up for winter, so many people dont get it when they are told to take their bird feeders down in spring when the bears comes out of hibernation, bird seed is like crack to a bear, crazy as that sounds its the truth and I found that out the hard way.
Christine
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 1, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9226540

Yeah , I found out you don't put feeders up in the spring . You don't leave dog or cat food out at night .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9229118

Happy birthday, Sharon!

Thumbnail by pirl

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 4, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9229916

Smitty thanks you. Your hand writing is very good.

I spent the day cleaning the garage and getting all my pots ready for winter sowing. Tuesday is recycle and a few hundred pots are going into recycle. I finally decided I do not need hundreds of starter size pots...I told the gardeners for the HOA I need some pots and they brought me hundreds.

I think I decided I did not need as many when I started cleaning and sterilizing them.

I will post photos tomorrow of Cecil, Emma and Izzy. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9230051

Smitty did have to practice his handwriting but he did a fine job.

Recycling pots is wise. Keeping them just uses up valuable space. Ha! Cleaning and sterilizing will get you into the recycling phase!

We'll look forward to photos of your fur kids.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9230068

What a precious photo of Smitty pirl :>)

Happy Belated Birthday Sharon :>)
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9240934

We need some news of Smitty. It's been too long and I love following his adventures. LOL Betty

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9240956

I agree, we could all use a Smitty fix !!!! Whats he been up to ? We'd also like to hear how your doing pirl...
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9241050

Betty and Christine, and all Smitty followers: his personality is developing more each day and each week. We're still taking showers together but now his little body has learned to leap over the side of the bathtub. I think it was as much a shock for him (that he could even do it) as it was for me.

Last week he played Lassie and it was so funny. He was racing around at top speed. Jack was busy shaving and I was sitting on the bedroom floor so I started the game - Go get help, Lassie. Daddy fell in the well and can't get out! He'd run though the rooms and come back eager for more. Then it was: Lassie - get Emergency Rescue - daddy's been bitten by a snake! He'd go through the whole routine again. He got to relax on Jack's lap. I know it's hard to tell head from rear in this photo but, trust me, Jack is looking at Smitty's face. (#1 photo)

As for his medical issues...his ears are now fine and he's free of ear cleaning and ear drops. He's done with his medicine for his inflamed pads and he led the way on a new walk (on the street!) this morning and made it around the entire block. He's very friendly and very polite with other dogs, regardless of size. He is not intimidated by even the people with two Pit Bull dogs that are very well behaved.

He took another ride to the dump with Jack and he prefers the back of the cab (#2 photo). Harry always took the passenger seat but Smitty hops right into the back like the good boy he is.

He still takes his Vitamin E, Benadryl for allergies and the end of another prescription as well as his eye ointment but when I wrap the pills in cheese, roast beef, liverwurst, turkey, chicken or bury them in tiny meatballs, it's not a problem! He remains on the "Prescription z/d dog food" and eats fast.

At night he loves sleeping at Jack's feet while they watch TV. If I pick him up to sit on the couch with him, he falls sound asleep. He is really a fur baby if there ever was one. No diapers, no school, no crying in the middle of the night, no college education, no marrying the wrong person = ideal! He enjoys being brushed and combed. Smitty is the ideal companion for us and we feel as though fate smiled on us July 12, 2012 when we adopted him.

We're still waiting for photos of Sharon's Cecil, Emma and Izzy. C'mon, Sharon!

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9241070

Now that I fixed the photo you won't have to turn your head to see his cute expression. Sorry about that.

Loving photography, as I do, I didn't like the hair over his right eye so yesterday he allowed me to give him a bit of a cut so one eye (the good one) will be visible in photos.

How did I forget his fun with his tennis balls, which are too big for his mouth. A neighbor gave us the second one and it's such fun to bounce them on the floor and watch him capture one of them but still guard the other one. I'll try to get photos but he moves so fast. I just wish I could move like that in the garden!

Thumbnail by pirl

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9241399

What a great update, sounds like he's been having alot of fun, I just love his precious face and want to give him kisses so give him a few for me. Fate did smile down on you the day you adopted each other. Thank you for keeping us informed about Smiley, since we all have come to love him. Have a Happy Day pirl :>)
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9241458

Thanks, Christine. Every time I've tried adoption it's worked out perfectly whether it's one of my kids or all the dogs we've had. I guess adoption is in my genes, handed down by my great-grandparents to my parents and on to me. Today is even the anniversary of my adopting one of my own children. There is no joy to compare to it.

We're all having a happy day now that I'm done with the garden for the day and done with the heat and humidity and weeds. I spotted Jack taking Smitty for a walk and stopping to talk to our neighbor who is in charge of his grand dog, Primo. Smitty was pleased to play with him again and didn't want to leave though Jack wanted to finish their walk. Smitty is such an agreeable pet, so friendly to other pets and humans. Primo was trying to show Smitty what "fetch" is all about but since Smitty has Jack and I for parents it seems we do the fetching.

You can be sure I'll give him many more kisses for you, and for myself. He loves them most after I've had some M & M's - he's no fool.

I'll end the adoption day post with a quote by Joss Whedon, in which I firmly believe:

I am a great believer in found families and I'm not a great believer in blood.

Thumbnail by pirl

bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9243184

Thanks so much. Just love to read about the adventures of Smitty and see the wonderful pictures. Keep them coming when you can. Betty
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9243192

Pirl, what a nice sentiment. Good for Smitty and good for you.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9243248

Thanks, Betty and Elsie.

Christine said it best - "Fate did smile down on you the day you adopted each other".

How could you not love this face?

Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 16, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9243260

No doubt about it , that family member will bring great rewards . I'd love to feel his fuzzy face on mine .

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9243567

Pirl I have to tell you that your story about Smitty inspired me to register
with our local shelter for an Orientation Course that will take place in
November. I just received my acceptance notice and will then be a trained
volunteer and will likely work one day a week in the adoption facility that
is near my home. I've been a generous donator but am looking forward to
doing hands-on work to get homes for our animals in need.

http://animalhumanenm.org/

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9243643

That's so nice of you, June. Loved the changing photos on that link and I love knowing people help animals who can't help themselves.

Hope you saw the photo where Smitty posed atop the converted sewing machine table! He posed just for you. Good boy!

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9243767

Pirl -- I did see that photo and confess that I really envied you that
sewing machine table. My grandmother had one of those and I think
my sister may have claimed it. Smitty just grows more and more
delightful with every passing day and it makes me happy to know that
he has a wonderful Forever Home.

We have serious shelter problems in New Mexico. Many just toss
animals out if they no longer want to care for them and these days
many people, especially seniors, who simply can no longer afford the
costs of food and vet bills. Sadly there are many senior animals,
especially cats, who are unlikely to get adopted. I donate as much as
I can to their PetSave program which assists low income folks with vet bills.
And when we have local food bank drives I try to include a big bag of
cat food or dog food.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9243838

Maybe you could find one on Craigslist, second hand shops, thrift shops or yard sales.

Smitty loves his toys and is reluctant to share. I can distract him and then we can get down to serious playing.

Most shelters now have major problems. We spoke with the shelter people when we first saw Smitty. They said there are too many vicious dogs of all sizes from the Chihuahuas to the Pit Bulls. They had two dogs in the size we wanted but it was so sad to see all the homeless dogs that would never be taken by anyone as family pets. The room for cats had so many possibilities for cat lovers. I agree that cost and the ability to properly care for pets is a problem for too many.

People who have no idea of what's needed for shelters can help with old clean towels, blankets, pet beds, food bowls, food, etc.

There's a special place in heaven for people like you, June. Thank you for your donations and for your time.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 16, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9243955

Craigslist, under antiques . I'm getting one too, and they run around $125.00 for a Singer . I've seen some nice ones and some off brand , but still nice . Some with tops , some without . They had about 15-20 on the Atlanta site a coupla weeks ago .

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9244043

Someone told me pet ownership is way down in the US. I wonder if its just the economy or something more.

Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9244054

Digger and June - the old Singer models with the pretty tops and the side drawers are really lovely:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=old singer sewing machine models&num=10&hl=en&biw=1080&bih=548&tbm=isch&tbnid=naeDKhg8Sy5MnM:&imgrefurl=http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/appliances/appraisal-antique-singer-sewing-machine-180322.html&docid=nFkegce8cuo2jM&imgurl=http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/appliances/6088d1202158171-appraisal-antique-singer-sewing-machine-330e_1.jpg&w=400&h=300&ei=mJAtUMrkGeaL6gG9xIDgDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=557&vpy=161&dur=6750&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=89&ty=110&sig=113807425426782374700&page=1&tbnh=164&tbnw=222&start=0&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:84

It's worth asking around and checking attics of older relatives. You can ask neighbors, friends and post an ad in a local or church bulletin and see what you can find.

Tammy - the cost of vet care is enormous and to anyone who is now unemployed or underemployed it can become a major expense. That's too sad.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 16, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9244110

That is a beautiful piece of furniture Pirl . I want the metal base so that I can have a table top added and use as a table or cutting board / mini island . Very few people in the south have usable attics . Our roofs are flatter and no storage . If we have hills , then we have basements . In Detroit , my aunt had a basement / attic AND she lived on flat ground in the city . Hooda thunk it .That's the southern way to say "Who would have thought that was a normal way to build a house " ROFL. Anyway , I can't ask older relatives . I am the older relative . If I was 40 years younger , I'd love to have a piece like that .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9244121

Long Island is flat...very flat. To us an ant hill is a marvel of nature. I've had an attic and a basement in every home during my life. Most of the time it's storage space for people to clean out after the owners are gone.

I do have an Ironrite in my basement but mine (originally my mom's) was mahogany (ritzy for the time) and it does make ironing a breeze. Curtains take a minute or two and napkins zip through. While I used to use it monthly, then it went down to twice a year, now it's down to zero but I can't part with it. Now it's worth much more than my mother paid for it.

Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 16, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9244147

Good grief , we had one too . Mother owned a dry cleaners/tailor shop and bought one of those for home . I was the oldest at home and did all the ironing . When she got that , even the men's boxer shorts had to be ironed . I got good enough on it to iron the lace ruffles on her night gowns without wrinkles . It disappered one day and I sure was glad , put a stop to ironing all those shorts . Didn't get me off the hook for the lace ruffles tho . Small world . Mother's IronRite was a different model , I'm going to say about 1951, looked a bit different .
To have a basement with washing machine had to have had some deep plumbing in the ground , huh ?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9244152

My mom used to iron the lace trim on my doll's clothes! She didn't iron boxer shorts.

Mine is from the 50's but I can't think of the exact year but before '55.

All the six homes I've lived in had the washer and dryer in the basement. We just took space from the garage last year to make a laundry room off the kitchen and mud room. It's a blessing. Now I don't go downstairs for anything. Jack does raise many plants from seed down there each spring but that's all it's used for now.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 16, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9244160

I just checked Craigslist and someone has an old Singer to give away . They are a little over 100 mi from me . It looks good except for the fold over lid . I could refinish it for what I want . Nuts , All the goodies are always on the other side of Atlanta . I check the "free" add every day
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 16, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9244165

I'm way O T , but it's your thread .
Had tomato pie for dinner , gonna get another small piece and hit the sack .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9244185

I know 100 miles is a big drive but for the price of gas it seems worth it to me - about 6 gallons of gas but the time spent may be too much for you.

Tomatoes are coming in here by the bushels, so are the cukes. Jack is up to 200 cukes already. The neighbors get them. It's good exercise for Jack to deliver them!

Sweet tomato dreams.

Smitty prefers falling asleep in Jack's arms and Jack gets a big kick out of it.

Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9244379

Awwww, Smitty has his head back and they both look so content .
There are other machines closer and the machine looks pretty bad . I'm not intrested in anything but the cabnet and base . The time factor is the problem . DH had a summer job for the last ten years and retired from it last year . This year in June , they called and asked if he would work until we go back to Tex. Over the years, we've made good friends and one of the partners is in terrible health but works every day . They have been so good to us all these years that D H couldn't say no . He only has weekends off and just turned 69. Ha ha , they get more work out of him than I do .I'm five years older .
I'd have to go to the top and read again , don't remember , but did you find out anything about the background on Smitty ? where he came from and why the humane society had him ? I know all of us would like to know the story .I know he had health issues .

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9244384

I remember sewing on my great aunt's manual (foot pedal powered) Singer fondly. She had no children and I always wonder what happened to it. I know you guys are talking about the table but I love the old machine. I have my grandmothers now - and it still sews well. But she had it motorized. I'd like to try a foot pedal powered one again. (I just bought a brand new machine - haven't had a chance to even pull it out of the box though).

Smitty sure has snuggled into his new family beautifully. Does he come along on the deliveries?

Tam

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9244392

I love the pic of Jack & Smitty, Smitty now has 100% trust in Jack, how cool is that !!!!
Arlene, I laughed when you said LI was flat, very flat, I beg to differ, I didnt think so in June when I was walking up the dunes at Robert Moses LOL...

June, congrats to you on offering your time to your shelter. Hugs's sent your way..
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9244447

Digger - I see your points with the machine, the guy in bad health and with your husband.

Tammy - I know of someone who still used the pedal Singer every now and then. Smitty always heads for the car even when Jack is taking him through the garage, past the car, for a walk. He automatically stops at the car and gives Jack that "Please take me for a ride" look.

Christine - sorry! There are some dunes but how many hills are there along the Long Island Expressway, Montauk Highway, Sunrise Highway, Merrick Road, Northern State or Southern State Parkways? I think Bald Hill (notice they don't call it Bald Mountain) is the highest point on Long Island. Just Googled it and I'm wrong. Bald Hill in Farmingville (not the Bald Hill in Riverhead) is 331' and nearby Telescope Hill is 334' while Jayne's Hill in Dix Hills is 401'. That's underwhelming for mountain lovers.

When Smitty was on Jack's lap I rattled the M & M's bag and this was the result:

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9244582

Digger - I just remembered that I forgot to reply to your question about Smitty's background. He was either brought to a shelter, near where we used to live, or found by someone who contacted the shelter. They were having financial woes so Smitty arrived at the Southampton Animal Shelter and that's where we got him. We don't know anything about his history.

I know I've said it often but this is such a wonderful dog that it's upsetting to think someone would just ditch the dog after teaching him sit, stay, roll over, etc. He had no collar, no ID. His past remains a mystery forever but his future is bright.

Doesn't this little smirk tell you he found the right forever home?

Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9244615

Giggle , Makes you wonder if they are thinking , like mine ,' first , I get in your heart , then your pocketbook .' Oh well , I don't have anything else to spend it on , and it gives me pleasure to know the longer I have them and healthier they are , the more I benefit too .
That little chihuahua saw me coming and I swear she said "Sucker !" lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012

Post #9244649

They are sly but they see us coming and there's no fighting the feeling. The eyes always get to me. They are direct links to my heartstrings.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9244793

Christine - sorry! There are some dunes but how many hills are there along the Long Island Expressway, Montauk Highway, Sunrise Highway, Merrick Road, Northern State or Southern State Parkways? I think Bald Hill (notice they don't call it Bald Mountain) is the highest point on Long Island. Just Googled it and I'm wrong. Bald Hill in Farmingville (not the Bald Hill in Riverhead) is 331' and nearby Telescope Hill is 334' while Jayne's Hill in Dix Hills is 401'. That's underwhelming for mountain lovers.

You are so right !!!! LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9244804

Oh boy , where our place in Rockport Tex is , the elevation is 6'. Actually , we're a coupla miles N E on a peninsula . Dug a hole a few years ago to pour a concrete footing and at six inches deep , the hole filled with water . When it's dry , it's dry , when it's wet , it's wet .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9244880

Christine - if I fall, I have to blame myself and not the contour of our plot. Don't laugh too hard but we built this "hill" from all the sod we removed when we made the vegetable garden. For a time we had pumpkins growing and that was fun. Then we went with impatiens - very nice but a lot of work each spring. Finally I put some spreading asters there and that's how it remains. I made the indentations you see so I could get that "mountain high" feeling! (Didn't work.)

It is nice in October with that big mound of asters in bloom.

Digger - we're at 14' above sea level. We've never needed to evacuate, thankfully. Photo #3 shows the view from the master bedroom but there are nice water views from many rooms. Smitty couldn't care less.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9245049

My asters bloom in spring and early summer .
I love your view , I was about that far from the lake at my house in S. Arkansas.
This is a view from my neighbors back window one winter . That deck is 70 steps down the hill . Come on down if you want some high hills . get good exercise going up and down .Our place is about where the river turns and up the hill 1/8 mile from the river . I miss not being on the water . Isn't it beautiful ?
Oh Oh , the lower deck you can't see . Some of those rocks down there are as big as houses

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 7:29 PM

Thumbnail by digger9083

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9245052

I so loved reading this post about Smitty! I have a rescue who looks similar to Smitty, so that really put a smile on my face. My rescue is a Shiz tsu, and has the same coloring as Smitty, his name is Whiskey River, and ever since we got him he has been a little rascal, to say the least. He love's to talk to us, and demand things be his way. We rescued him before he had a chance to go behind bars, his other family advertised him in the vet's office, and I was lucky enough to be picked as his forever mommy. He brings joy to our household, we've had him 4 months now, and after we got him, we found a sister for him. Whiskey is a year old May 2010, and Dakota, his sister is 2 years old, again, another rescue, from a woman who had to many dogs, and was forced into giving some up. They are both shiz tsu's ( sp?) and for some reason they are so different in every way, as she is a total lady! Where Whiskey love's his pool, she won't get her feet wet, every once in a while she will get in the pool, get wet, and is promptly out and back on dry ground, him, he lays in the pool like he is king tutt, also swims with his face under the water. Here are a few picture's of my 2 babies! Whiskey, as I said has the same coloring as Smitty! ( This is when we first got him,he didn't have a hair cut, but needed to be updated on his shots before a groomer could see him!) In the back ground is my first rescue, a chiwawa(sp?) We still have him, he is another story, and was found wondering the streets, and taken to the humane society, where we adopted him, first!
The last picture is Whiskey with his first hair cut! Both him and Dakota have to go each month, and her hair is growing on her head, I can now really tie it up with a hair tie, she's the little girl I never had! And a prima donna at that. I have to start my own thread on these 3, as they keep us in a wonderment of what will they do next, all have completey oppisite personalities, but get along great! Whiskey is the trouble maker, always wanting what Chico has, and little Ms. dakota goes along with every thing in stride, but she love's the boys. When Kymbe come's over, he is so in love with her, he will kiss, hump and what ever else to get her attention. BTW, all my dogs are fixed, no more unwanted puppie's coming into this world, I even had Whiskey's past owners give him to me, no money exchanged, with papers. He got fixed, as you can see, I ended up with 2 pure breads, no money exchanged, and there are many more out there who need loving forever home's. Breeders, take note!!! No more puppy mills!
This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 9:14 PM

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 9:29 PM

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9245057

I think I see a chihuahua in the third pic . All are beautiful .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9245103

Digger - that is a fantastic view. Don't know that I could forget many things to keep going up and down 70 steps. I'd probably fall asleep on the steps. That scene looks like it's from a magazine - love it.

Jamibad - how sweet! Love the pink bow! Dakota is so precious!

Whiskey River is almost a dead ringer for Smitty. At first, before I enlarged the photos, I was sure it really was Smitty. You won't catch our boy in any pool. He's like our Harry was and doesn't like getting his feet wet so it was another exciting adventure to be with him in the shower tonight. He sparkles now!

Who is the unnamed pup in the third photo? Were Dakota and Whiskey having a sleep over?

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9245168

I forgot Chico was in the picture, he is our first rescue! We love them all the same! Dakota was brought to us by chance, as was Whiskey, they didn't have to "go behind bars to get adopted, but Chico did, and we found him, and brought him home the same day! We do have sleep over's sometimes, with a friends dog who's name is Kymbe! I think I can find a photo of him, we just love our kids, and yes, when I found this thread, I thought I was looking at Whiskey! He's our "brat" the younger they are the more they make us laugh! I didn't realize Chico was in the photo after I posted the picture, but did go back and edit it, so as to lay claim to him! lol This is a picture of Kymbe, and his master! They tend to sleep over sometimes when the parents are going away, no relation, just Very dear friends, and my little Draven! This is Draven and Kymbe!

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by jamibad

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9245176

So adorable - both the child and Chico! I love the idea of a sleep over but recall the days when my girlfriend and I giggled so much her parents had to keep telling us to go to sleep. Guess I wouldn't face that problem with Smitty but it would be funny if it happened.

Did you get a "summer cut" for Whiskey? Smitty's leg hair needs some spray in conditioner now.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9245185

That's a puppy cut, because we go to the doggy park everyday, he tends to be the one who will take over the doggy park pool, and than rump and play with his other friends, and we get so tired of having to bath him every night, they like to sleep with us, so we bring him home, and dump him into his own pool, rinse him off, and always have a towel inside the front door to dry him off. All my dogs use the pools, he's the only one who relaxes in it! I have a video of him, swimming he perimeter, and calling him a navy seal dog. He look's like he is looking for something under the water. it's too funny. Chico and Dakato will get in to cool off, but than they get out and roll on a blanket I put close by, they dry off, than go play at the park. Dakota normally sits with me or my DH, or in her own chair at the park, she like's to "watch" the other dogs play, and sometimes will join in! Look who's in front! Chico is to the far left, but Whiskey and Dakato are rightin the front,and sometimes you can have at least 15 dogs waiting for a treat!

These picture's are from the doggy park we go to, and what your looking at is " snack time" we all chip in on a duck treat, and 1 lady there is designated as snack lady! They all know when it's snack time, and will line up around her to wait for their snack. I have plenty of picture's but I do need to start another thread, as I don't want to hijack Smitty's. He's tooo cute! I enjoy his story's and will continue to follow, and when I start my own will post a site here!

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9245199

BTW, you said Smitty's legs need conditioner. I looked up what to use on my 2 shiz tsu's for baths! I use Dove shampoo, and conditioner, and than I use Infusiam 23 leave in conditioner. I also use corn starch for a quick fix to comb through their " hair" as it's almost human like! I read this on the internet! And they are so soft, non shedders, and my DH thinks I should get some sort of moose for Dakato's hair, as if it's not tied up, it's in her eye's!

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9245217

Here is a picture of Chico, I feel bad letting him out of the discussion! he is a BIG chiwawa, 20lbs, I think he's mixed but a DNA test isn't needed, as he acts like one, always the barker, letting you know someone is at the door, his brother Whiskey barks, and talks, and Dakato very rarely say's anything, but Chico, yep, he is the loud one! And he love's toy's, this is his monkey, it squeaks and has a monkey squeal, he will drag it around, sleep with it, heaven forbid should he come to bed with out a toy, and BTW, I have steps at my bed, so they can all get in or out when they want. Chico is knowen to get into bed, realize he didn't bring a squeaky toy, get out and go find one of his choice, usually the monkey, and bring it back to bed, and than lay there making it squeak till he falls asleep! What a relief for the adults in the bed when he finally climbs under the covers, and goes to sleep, dragging the toy with him.

His eye's are not red!! More like a greenish brown! The photo has a bad case of red eye! LOL

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 10:01 PM

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9245218

digger9083 wrote:My asters bloom in spring and early summer .
I love your view , I was about that far from the lake at my house in S. Arkansas.
This is a view from my neighbors back window one winter . That deck is 70 steps down the hill . Come on down if you want some high hills . get good exercise going up and down .Our place is about where the river turns and up the hill 1/8 mile from the river . I miss not being on the water . Isn't it beautiful ?
Oh Oh , the lower deck you can't see . Some of those rocks down there are as big as houses

This message was edited Aug 17, 2012 7:29 PM

What a beautiful view, reminds me of a Christams card. I just love it, want to trade places for a month? LOL It's so Beautiful!!!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9245427

Arlene, love seeing your pictures as always, are you far from the ferry?

digger, awesome view, I happen to love snow :>)

jamibad, your fur babies are adorable...

Christine

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9245440

I just realized I never posted pic's of my little rescue, this is Dutchess (on the left) and her best friend Maggie Mae. I love the second picture where Dutchess looks like she's smiling
Christine

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 18, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9246173

Well my brother's wedding is done and my son and his family have visited from Spokane and are headed to the beach in San Diego. I did laundry today and just about have my home and life back in order.

First photo is Cecil. Second Photo is Izzy and third photo is Cecil and Emma together. Emma has clipped esrs and Cecil has floppy ears.

They are also very happy that the house it back to its normal, quiet self.

The puppies slept on our bed the last three nights instead of their crate. It will be interesting to see if they will now go back to the crate.

Love all the stories and photos. I will return soon. Sharon

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9246281

Wow! A lot of good pet photos today.

Jami - how cute they are! Chico is adorable and looks quite naked compared to the furrier ones.

Christine - we're 14 miles from the ferry and we always use it to start and finish our vacations.

Dutchess is so sweet looking and her smile is great. Looks like she's really laughing out loud. Her friend, Maggie Mae looks very loving. The team of white on white is so cute.

Sharon - you have a wonderful trio there. Izzy really matches his surroundings very well. The combo of Cecil and Emma is such a sweet one.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 19, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9246521

Any of y'all ever notice that we , here on D G have the best looking kids ? Two legged and four .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9246662

It's true. They're also the most loved. I've seen dogs that were chained night and day, never to know a belly rub or a bath and never to play a game or run for a ball. That's just existing, not being allowed to be a pet - how sad for the pet and shame, shame on the owners.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9279830

One guess where Smitty went on vacation...

Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 19, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9279844

Pirl , don't want to interfere , but should his hair be trimmed a tiny bit away from his eyes at the base of his nose ?The vet I used to use, told me it was like looking through bangs that were too long and not good for my dogs sight , also wind could blow the hair into my Friskie's eyes and irritate the eyeball . Just a suggestion , don't get mad at me.
Other than my busy body question , That picture should be framed , don't know who the lucky ones are , You and D H , or Smitty .
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9279846

Oh, how wonderful he looks. I've been having Smitty-withdrawal and wondering how he was doing. Obviously, he's enjoying himself immensely. I'm so glad for all of you.

Betty
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 19, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9280034

He is still absolutely adorable.

I want to go to Cape Cod.

I am fighting off a cold but as promised I will try to get a photo on today of th puppies. They were one year old on the 9th of September. Our weather this time of year is beautiful.

I am sitting in the back having a cup of tea and watching the world go by.

My schnauzers hair gets just like that about mid way between grooming. I cut it back because I love to see their eyes. Just have to be careful and not poke them in the eye. Arlene, I am telling myself that, not you...Sharon

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9280037

Hi Arlene I hope you all had a great time at the Cape, Smitty must have had so much fun, I love the picture of him !!! Have any of the trees up there started to change yet? We have a few here & there starting.
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012

Post #9280108

Thanks, everyone. Digger - I trimmed his hair around his eyes once but since I do have the tremors I'm scared of poking him in the eye. How could I get angry with you when you're trying to help me help him. I thank you...and Sharon.

Betty - he's on Jack's lap (his favorite place on earth) in that photo but he spent a fair amount of time on mine. Both Jack and I have the Essential Familial Tremors (runs in both families) so Smitty must think he's on a massaging mattress when he sits on our laps.

Sharon - Cape Cod mornings would have you wearing three comforters and you'd still be cold! Get well soon!

Well, Smitty enjoyed his first ferry ride from the end of Long Island (14 miles away) to New London, CT. He was very well behaved and enjoyed meeting other furry friends.

He was very quick to get the layout of our (rented) cabin and seemed quite happy there.

He found the loveseat wasn't as comfy as our laps so his visits there were brief. The owner allows dogs on all furniture, inside and outside the cabins so don't think Smitty is misbehaving by sitting there.

Even at night he was happy to spend time with us while we had our cocktails.

We loved bringing him to the National Seashore, in Eastham, and a nice stranger snapped this one of the three of us.

(More later.)

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9280239

Pirl -- Just love the picture of the three of you. Smitty is definitely
smiling!!

I am scheduled for the November orientation training at Animal Humane
here in Albuquerque. They do intensive training of volunteers and I'm
hoping to be assigned in the adoption center although I am not at all
adverse to cleaning kennels. You (and Smitty) have been a real
inspiration for me to help animals in need find forever homes.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9280287

The one thing I'd warn you about is when you're told a dog "guards their food" BELIEVE THEM! When we first had Smitty I dropped a meatball (his food made into a meatball shape with one of his pills inside of it) and to help him get it I picked it up. He had to feel I was stealing his food and the words about "guarding" food never rang a bell. A lot of blood, peroxide, pressure, bandages and now, even 6 weeks later, that area of my finger hurts.

Bless you for helping those pets who so desperately need human assistance.

Thanks for your comment about the photo. Leave it to a kind stranger to take the best photo of us ever!

This shot amuses me. It looks like we both have a swatch of lighter hair. It's really only the lighting but I still smile when I see it.

Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 19, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9280330

Pirl , how far away is the shelter you got Smitty from ? I think ANY shelter would help with a short snip , snip , or the groomer shouldn't charge but two or three dollars to give that trim .I would recommend keeping a pair of children's blunt end scissors around , for (in case someone comes around that can snip for you ) .
Well , these last pictures certainly prove that the three of you ARE a true family .
Did Smitty hang his head when he bit you ? He had to know that was a no no . That may be why he ended up in a shelter , could have bitten a child in his old family .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9280346

The shelter is about 40 minutes from us. I'm thinking of calling the groomer we had for years, for Harry. She lives nearby and she'd probably love to meet Smitty. At least she could show me how she cuts bangs and she could trim his paws so it's worth a call.

He is supposed to be 3 to 4 years old though he acts more like a puppy. If it only took him two weeks to get a piece of my finger I'd imagine in 3 to 4 years he'd have had plenty of time to bite a child. Then he'd have been given up earlier in life. Since he arrived at the first shelter with almost no hair, I think the person who owned him just didn't want to give him the diet/pills/care he needed. In any event, he's ours and we're not giving him back!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 19, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9280364

Awwww , come on , I want him . LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9280529

Okay, just call me selfish. He is the most charming little pet I've ever had.

We bought him the dog sized version of fat free, 95% sugar free blackberry yogurt and served it to him.

First he licked at it.

That was followed by some slurping sounds.

Finally, he tilted his head back so he wouldn't miss a drop of it.

His head went back so far I thought his neck would break. At that point he became of a member of the "Clean Plate Club".

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 19, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9280699

Arlene, so glad you and Jack are having such a great time with Smitty. I love the photo of the three of you. Should go on your Holiday Greetings card.

I am still fighting this cold and we have a family wedding this weekend. One of my nephews is getting married and the whole family is headed this way. I have several relatives staying here so tomorrow I must go grocery shopping.

Thanks so much for sharing the photos. And you are right. I get cold if the humidity is above 5% and the temperature is below 80. Just a desert rat.

Everyone have a great day tomorrow. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9280831

Let's hope you feel much better for the wedding and a house filled with family.

Cape Cod mornings are typically cool, especially in September. You'd be miserable but we enjoyed it considering this past summer we woke up many mornings to temperatures around 80 - much too warm, too early. I did spot some Cape Cod sweat jackets for small children that would have fit Smitty but Jack vetoed the idea.

Sorry, Christine, I forgot to reply to you about the color changing of the trees. There were two as we headed down to New York but I think it was a vine growing through one tree, and not actual changing of color that is so beautiful. Do you have trees beginning to change yet? For us it happens after Columbus Day.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9280842

When we went to the library in Eastham, about two blocks from our cabin, I saw this tee shirt there and bought it. I figured Sharon would really enjoy it since Las Vegas is her home.

Thumbnail by pirl

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9280899

Loved seeing all the pictures of one very happy family, I'm so glad you all had such a wonderful time. The best time for seeing foliage up here is the 2nd week in October, I cant wait, I love this time of year. Have a happy day everyone !!!
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012

Post #9280906

Fall foliage has to be seen to be appreciated and I'm sure it's MUCH more beautiful in the mountains, Christine. A few years ago I sent a box of autumn leaves to a DG school teacher in Dallas, TX so he could show them to the young students who had never seen them in person and couldn't imagine how they could be real.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9280972

Yep , the date fluctuates here , but the mountain roads get thick with visitors looking at Fall leaves . Gonna be early this year . The radio and TV stations keep everyone informed each fall .
I have a Jack Russel that will eat anything offered . Now the other three are learning to eat watermelon . Dogs !
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9281061

Isn't it comical what dogs will or won't eat? Once our Joey was eating some leftovers and spit out one slice of garlic clear across the room. Another dog, long ago, would eat the baked potato but not the skin. He'd manage to scrape out every bit of potato - funny to see it happening. Only one of the many dogs I've had would wait until the tomato I was eyeing for dinner salad that day was ripe, then he'd eat it right off the plant.

Jack weighed Smitty this morning. He's packing on the pounds so as of today I'm cutting back on his canned dog food as well as other foods he loves. He is definitely not picky about food.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9281177

My son's dog eats his tomatoes off the vine , green or not . I used to have a dog and cat , years ago . The cat would jump on the counter and knock off grapefruit I had eaten , then Poco would turn it wrong side out and peel the membrane off and eat that .My son had to put a fence around his toms .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9281223

Ours only ate the ripe tomatoes - some nerve. I did put up a low fence and that did work.

How funny about the cat! It must have enjoyed it.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9281242

Ha ha , a low fence wouldn't help . He has a Catahoula cur .120 lbs .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9281324

Our fun Fred was a male Bearded Collie and weighed in around 50 pounds. Maybe he was just too lazy to be bothered crossing the foot high fence.

I love hearing about breeds I didn't even know existed!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9281349

Catahoula 's were bred to hunt wild hogs . They are white , brown and grey , with , usually at least one blue eye . Sometimes one eye will be half brown and half blue.
I'll try to load a picture . Lost the pic .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9281350

Try again Wonder family dogs and very protective . This is Monroe . My son lost him a coupla years ago to sickness , The vet couldn't save him . So about a year later , my boy got a female from the breeder that he also works with . His dogs are owned by a coupla NFL ball players and several Movie stars .

This message was edited Sep 20, 2012 4:24 PM

Thumbnail by digger9083

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9281400

Thanks for the info. Monroe was lovely. What a serene and peaceful face. It's always grief to lose any pet but a new arrival can at least make us smile.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9281439

He was loved alright .

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9283285

Pirl, you dear lady...I'm so sorry for your loss...my rescue JRT left my arms to cross the Rainbow Bridge on June 11th...my heart has hurt awfully since that morning...I've never missed a dog as much as her, could be because I retired and was with her 24/7 for the last 7yrs...I felt what you said in your early post about the loss...then started reading thru the posts not noticing the date...MYGOSH, you guys been at this a long time!!! anyway, you are one of the people who are special on here to me so had to comment...got my KatieBug just a month ago and the Sun is kinda peekin' out from the clouds...and OMG, I'm working on potty training her and it's not easy...she's getting a bit better but it's hard for me to remember to get her out there! she has to go out every 15 minutes...but OH, I love her...she's so much like my Rosie was, that's why I picked her when I saw her on CraigsList, she's white with brown ears just like Rosie, got that sharp little "tuffy" attitude...Happy every moment even when I'm correcting her she's got that tail wagging...I wish we never lost our kids, but I'll never not have one...Will be watching you guys chatting...The BT is our 9yr old Gussie...Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi   Thumbnail by Depsi

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 22, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9283421

Dipsi , such a picture of love , you and Katie Bug .

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9283697

Deb, I'm so happy for you, and for Katie Bug finding her forever home, you are a match made in heaven. I've trained my little one to use wee wee pads on the days that its impossible for me to take her out, she refuses to GO in snow LOL !!!!! Congrats again and keep the pictures coming, she's a darling as is your Gussie..
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9283771

What terrific photos, Depsi! I love the one of you and Katie Bug but it's the fourth photo that's my favorite. Fantastic!

It's so difficult for us when we lose a pet, so hard to try and adjust but we're forced to face life without them. Gussie and Katie Bug make such a cute duet.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9289691

Smitty fix:

Valerie has been our dog groomer for many years. Smitty got to meet her and be treated to a trimming of his paws and bangs. She reported that he was very well behaved and now it is easier for me to give him his eye medicine twice a day. At Valerie's suggestion, having worked for our vet for years, we are trying artificial tears for his eyes several times a day.

He's a bit of a lazy guy in the morning and stays in bed until his breakfast is ready. He's very cute when he tries to stretch out in bed and it's too small for him to stretch and get that morning belly rub.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9289711

I love Smitty's new do, he's so darn adorable. Thanks for the Smitty fix Arlene :>)
Christine

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9289726

Does the groomer come to you? She did a great job on your very adorable Smitty!

Appreciate the "fix". :-)
Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9289750

Thanks, Christine. I prefer more bangs but time will fix that.

Tammy: yes, Valerie goes to homes to groom dogs (no cats). Valerie had done grooming at the vet's for many years and has worked for us since 1999. She did do a good job and I was happy that Smitty was such a good boy.

Here's our (late) Harry, after a St. Patrick's Day grooming by Valerie and the treat she gave him firmly planted in his mouth.

Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 29, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9289815

My first dog's name was Harry Truman , born in that period . Your Harry was so beautiful , mine was a short haired mongrel , but I loved him .
I love seeing Smitty's beautiful eyes , so much expression . I'm like you , a little more bang , but I like Harry's nose trim better . Sometimes you have to try a little different cut to decide what you like best . Like people cuts , takes awhile to settle on one thing ,and it's fun to change up once in awhile.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9289833

Love the name of Harry Truman! My first dog was about 1950, a mutt who I named Lucky. Then Lucky had pups and we kept Sparkles, after Sparkles Plenty of the Li'l Abner comic strip.

I like seeing Smitty's eyes but his peek-a-boo look was so cute. Next May/June we may get Valerie to do a puppy cut for him. His thighs need almost daily combing, which he loves.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 29, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9289839

That's a LOT of work , but if he loves it , do it ! I have a Westie that comes running when I pick up the wire brush , and a JRT that runs the other way .
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9289902

Pirl, love the new do. Smitty is the cutest!!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 29, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9289924

Pirl, that puppy needs a new larger bed.

I trim our older schnauzer's eyebrows every time I give him a bath. He has such beautiful eyes and it helps me when I clean his eyes. Pirl, I have used artificial tears on the older dogs for years. It is so dry here. It cannot hurt.

I comb the puppies every day, after reading Pirl's comments and now it is so much easier. A 10 minute task per dog instead of 45 minutes. And much less painful for them or me.

They are telling me it is time for their morning walk and then I am going to do some gardening. Talk at you later. Have a wonderful day. Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012

Post #9290180

Digger - How cute about the Westie that loves the grooming and JRT who doesn't! What a pair!

Thanks, Elsie. He seems to enjoy the attention.

Sharon - The bed suits him just fine. He'd look like a mouse in a larger bed. Many times I find him sleeping on the kitchen rug. He has several choices of where to sleep or nap. The artificial tears are great. Smitty doesn't mind them and I feel it's soothing to his eyes. It only takes 5 minutes, at most, to comb or brush Smitty and he will stay as long as I continue to brush him.

We did have a wonderful day even if it was gloomy and chilly outside...and I refuse to complain about chilly after this last summer of way too much heat. My son is 47, never married and never engaged, but now has met Rowena and they plan to get married next year. He brought her over so we could meet her and I made them a nice Chicken Saltimbocca for lunch. They enjoyed the Key Lime Pie and "a good time was had by all". Smitty loved meeting both of them and they loved him as well.

Thumbnail by pirl

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9290240

Pirl - she is just a beautiful girl. I guess he waited 'til he found the perfect woman.

Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9290361

Thank you. She is very lovely and I hope and pray they'll be happy.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 29, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9290450

Pirl, my son never married and got married at 46. They now have a 2 year old boy Luke and her two daughters from a previous marriage 12 and 14. He will be 50 next year and he is very happy with his new family. Some guys just wait a long time. I really did not think he was ever going to get married. The only problem is about one year after they got married he received a job offer with a medical group and moved to Spokane. With DH not being able to travel, we see them once a year. Your son's girlfriend is beautiful. Your son and my son have the same hairdo.

You know your puppy and you know best.

I had just started gardening when our ex-son-in-law stopped by, after calling. He is in town for a convention and we had a nice visit on the back patio. It was just about to hot anyway so I will just start again on Monday.

Have a great Sunday and have fun. Sharon
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 29, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9290495

That hair do is popular , I cut D H like that when his neck hair gets a little unruly.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9290759

If Smitty approves of Rowena she must be a keeper !! She's lovely
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012

Post #9290762

Sharon - I was very surprised to hear him speak of marriage. He had been dating Tina for 6 years and I still love her and hoped she'd be the one for him. As long as he's happy, I'm happy. Tina is welcome here anytime she's out this way just as you remain friends with your ex-son-in-law.

Digger - I'm not fond of men who constantly fuss with their hair...or women who do the same thing. I find it annoying and distracting when they constantly play with their hair, rearrange it, etc.

Here's Tina with such perfect teeth!

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9290767

Thanks, Christine.

Smitty hasn't met the person or dog he doesn't like. Maybe he just likes nice people and not his original owners (I hope). I still can't fathom how people can have a pet for three years and then toss them out the door when they tire of him.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 30, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9290783

Pirl , I went to beauty school two days a week for five years . Just before State exam , I said H - - - with this , I 'm not gonna do it ! My hair is wash and put in pony tail and D H is shaved . I have better things to do than fuss with his or mine . (Or anyone else's either ) . I have a friend that told her husband before they married , she was going to the beauty shop once a week and if he didn't agree , no marriage ! He did , and she still goes, 78 years old and the sad part is , she has the kind of hair that washes , pushed in place and doesn't need any other treatment ,just a trim once a month . I would almost call that a phobia .
I can't stand a man with girlie hands either , except a doctor , or a wimpy handshake . I think we're on the same page .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9290812

Wimpy handshakes are horrid. When a friend, a Marine, shook my hand I thought my fingers would be crushed so that's not so good either but still preferable to wimpy.

I've cut my own hair since I was 12 or 13 and have been to a beauty parlor once as a teen, twice for friends' weddings and a few times after that but certainly less than 10 times in my entire life. I can't take the smells or the gossip and the waste of good gardening time is something that can't be replaced.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9290940

I kept my hair long & easy for years to avoid the beauty shop but now I actually enjoy going. The woman who owns the shop is a wonderful person & a wonderful gardener. The one who cuts my hair loves to cook and so we are always talking about gardening, vegatables, cooking and such. Its a very fun & nurishing experience now to get my hair cut. So don't assume they are all bad, as I did for years.

Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9290959

Sorry if I offended you, Tam. It was not intentional.

Not many people here garden and fewer even cook though they have kitchens like you see in fancy magazines.

By now I'm so used to cutting my hair that I'd rather do it myself than spend the time going anywhere to get it done. Lord knows I have enough appointments with doctors and dentists so it's one less thing for me to remember.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9290979

No offense whatsoever Pirl! Just pointing out that you can't prejudge every salon. I can't tell you how happy I am in my short hair and I avoided it for years thinking it would be awful "wasting my time" getting it cut. (And I'm not coordinated enough to try it myself now that I've found a place that I enjoy going to & that does a good job on it).

Sometimes I wonder if there is a converse relationship between having a fancy kitchen & actually using it? :-)

Tam

Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9291014

One couple put in a very expensive kitchen but when Jack offered them tomatoes, a few years ago, the husband said he had no idea what they could do with them since they eat out for every meal! The wife ended up dying in January and he married his nursing home physical therapist who loves to cook and enjoys the kitchen so much!

Another gal had her kitchen done over with extensive amounts of granite and Sub Zero appliances but the arthritis in her hands and wrists is so bad she can't even use a can opener for some tuna fish when her husband is out of town on business.

One woman, now a widow, uses her house (at she and her husband always did) as just a summer home. She had the kitchen redone and she does cook but now it's cooking for one.

There are many new elaborate kitchens around here but very few women actually cook.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 30, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9291083

I have a very elaborate kitchen but I do cook. We seldom eat out because DH does not like to eat out.

Now he does not eat much so I am having to relearn portions. But I have always made extra whenever I was cooking so I could freeze it for quick meals. I have just started cooking in smaller pots because my tendency is always to fill up the pot. Same with a salad. Large bowl, large salad.

I have a month out of every 4 when we eat out of the freezer. Nothing is purchased at the store but fresh produce and his milk. I always mark what I purchase and freeze. We both enjoy Costco meat, but when I purchase it I cut it into at least 4 portions.

Have a great day. It is going to be in the high 90s here today but I have paperwork to do inside. I promised DH many many years ago I would not garden on Sundays.

Dogs have already had their first walk but Jordan, the 13 year old schnauzer is by my feet starring up at me. He wants another walk. I guess I must go.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 30, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9291239

I have a very nice , handy kitchen , designed by me when we had a doublewide mobile home built . I just don't enjoy cooking any more three hours work , fifteen minutes , enjoy , hour cleanup . D H is a easy one to cook for , watches all the cooking shows , doesn't eat leftovers often . So what's the use ?I don't have granite , but helps resale value tremendously .I am going to change out the sink to a deep , larger one , stone look .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9291297

Five years ago I ditched the granite - way too much work. Since then the granite has been the top of my potting bench and it serves the purpose well but it's still very hot when the sun shines on it.

When we eliminated the granite I replaced one of the two kitchen sinks with a Corian sink integrated into the Corian counters and back splashes that go to the bottom of the cabinets. It's wonderful, easy and I love it. We kept the very deep stainless steel sink (on a different wall of the kitchen) and it is very useful.

I totally agree about hours of cooking to have it done in 15 or 20 minutes and then we get the privilege of cleaning up afterwards.

(I actually loved the sink before the faucet was installed - so pristine!)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9291342

Pirl - what didn't you like about the granite? I have a very similar Corian as you (with integrated sink). I love to cook & cook for my dad too. My kitchen needs to be redone - its over 30yrs old now (except for the Corian. I put that in about 15yrs ago).

Love the kitchen talk!
Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9291402

It was ICY cold, scratched easily, tomatoes and their acid ate into it quickly, had to be sealed frequently and the edge was too sharp. I do realize I could have selected a different edge but it was already too late. As for the tomatoes...we were harvesting 50 pounds or more at a time so some leaked and that couldn't be prevented. Corian is so much easier! In 2009, after having the kitchen Corian for two years and loving it, we went with Corian and the integrated sinks for two of the bathroom vanities. They are wonderful!

1. Guest bathroom

2. Master bathroom (sorry the photo is fuzzy)

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9291785

I love your choices Arlene, they are all pretty..

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9291825

Pirl - I had thought granite would be slam dunk decision. Thanks for the info!

Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012

Post #9291866

Thanks, Christine.

Tam - please don't let me make up your mind. Ask others and see what they say. From all I've heard Zodiaq is supposed to be great. There is a thread about countertops. Let me find it and post it for you.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9291883

Here it is: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/691572/?hl=granite

You can also visit showrooms and lean on the counters to see how they feel to you. Corian is only handled by some places so be aware of that.

Also, investigate colors available in Corian. I love the dark ones but with the work portion of our kitchen facing northeast I felt it would be too dark. Our kitchen table, bought in 2000, is also Corian and that led us to do over the counters because it's so fuss free. The window you see here faces southwest so we did go with dark green Corian here.

Colors (just some, not all) - http://www2.dupont.com/corian/en-us/bi/corian-all-colors.html?src=corian_colors_g_Exact
I just love Rosemary, Thyme, Adobe and Cinnabar! I couldn't even go through the whole page for fear of finding another project!

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012

Post #9291903

Look at these colors!

Thumbnail by pirl

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 1, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9291958

Your wall colors in the nook are almost a match to mine in a mobile home we have in Tex . I textured all the walls first with a Mexican texture .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9292013

I did the texture thing in a former home and for me it caught too much dust so I don't do it now that I'm 30 years older!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 1, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9292917

I may regret it , I'll know in a few days .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9293015

I'm just lazy so you may find it easier to clean. I did find some cobwebs that should go in a museum.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9293340

I did find some cobwebs that should go in a museum.

LOL I havent heard that one before !!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9293350

I should try and get a photo of it: amazing!

Smitty's new fall greeting each day is to just continue sleeping until I get his breakfast ready and...heated lightly. Then he comes alive. He's like a moving stuffed toy, cute as can be.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9293381

Doesn't it amaze you how much we love our fur babies, and they have us trained so well. I warm up the chicken I give mine every morning, she loves boiled chicken, my girl will eat almost anything if I let her. I give her the boiled chicken minced up with green beans or carrot's, what do you feed Smitty for breakfast? What do you give him as a treat? Dutchess likes peanut butter in her kong.
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9293429

We can dote on our pets as we probably wouldn't do for people. I find it great fun.

Smitty can only have his "Prescription Diet" zd canned food but I am allowed to mix it with the dry zd food and he loves that! I do cheat a little and warm up lamb gravy for him. I test him now and then to see what he will eat and last night he ate a piece of lettuce...with dressing. Harry only liked Blue Cheese but Harry likes the Brianna's Santa Fe dressing as we do.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9293433

The lamb gravy sounds delicious, how funny Smitty ate lettuce, Dutch wouldnt eat that if her life depended on it..
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9293441

Our late Joey could detect a piece of garlic in a meatball and he'd spit it clear across the room: fun to watch!

Smitty also adores frozen peas (still frozen). My several former Lhasa Apsos also loved them frozen and they'd scramble around to find them if I broke a bag trying to get some into a pot to cook for us.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 2, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9294287

My puppies love raw assorted colors of mini peppers. That is their treat. They only get dried dog food unless DH, Vern slips them something. Our last female Schnauzer was feed table food and had so many things wrong with her before she died I promised myself these new puppies would be trained and no people food except fruit and vegetables.

That is my rule but not Vern's but nearly every time he gives Cecil some people food, about 30 minutes later he throws up.

I take them to bed with me and close the bedroom door. I go to bed before DH does so I close the bedroom door so he cannot feed them something they are not suppose to have while I am sleeping. After 40+ years with this man I know what he is thinking before he does.

And yes, if all the children in the world were treated as well as our dogs there would probably be a different world.

Hugs, Sharon .

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9294438

My little Dutchess (aka cujo with the groomer) got groomed yesterday and I wanted to share a few pic's of her, this little pip squeak hates the groomer LOL...
The 3rd picture was before her grooming so I'll post a after of the fluff ball

This message was edited Oct 3, 2012 7:24 AM

Thumbnail by jasminesmom   Thumbnail by jasminesmom   Thumbnail by jasminesmom      

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9294442

This is The Dutchess after

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2012

Post #9294481

Oh, poor baby getting a bath. Seems anyone could detect the "I hate this" in Dutchess's eyes! The after photo is superb. What a sweet face and such perfect fur.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 3, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9294812

What kind of shampoo do you'll use at home ?

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9294972

I dont know the name of what he uses, I do know its a whitening shampoo. I can ask him the next time he come if you'd like.
Christine
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 3, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9295048

I'd appreciate it . I'll be off the puter after tomorrow morning 'till sometime Sat or Sun. So I don't miss it would you dmail me when you find out ?My westie could use some whitening . This red mud makes him look dirty even after a bath . When we get him to Tex . this weekend , it won't be so bad but it'll take awhile to wear off .Strange , but my Chihuahua and Jack Russel don't stain like the Westie .

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9301659

digger, here's what he use's on my girl

http://www.petco.com/product/9090/TropiClean-Papaya-Luxury-2-in-1-Shampoo-Plus-Conditioner.aspx

I hope you can find it, and that it works for you as good as it works for us !!!
Christine
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 10, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9301979

Well I finally got around to taking photos today. I tried to get them both in the chair at the same time but no go. This was right after their daily combing. Thanks for the great tip on that Pirl.

Emma, the female, has the cropped ears and Cecil, the male, has the floppy ears. This is our third set of schnauzers and their ears have always been like that.

All is going well here. With the weather cooling down I am going to get a trainer that will come here and get rid of a few puppy problems. Mainly confronting strangers on walks and jumping up on people. Cecil does not bark but Emma does. She has a bark collar and she just turns it sideways the minute we put it on her. We cannot go any tighter or it will chock her.

i go to bed around 9:30pm or earlier and they go at the same time. They sleep until 7:30am. I am just starting to wake up when they start moving around. Or they are already for me to wake up and they see me move. Emma weights 18 pounds and Cecil weights 16.5. Emma is about 1 1/2 pounds heavier than she should be.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 10, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9302081

Back on the puter and thanks for the link . They are updating the site so will keep checking . I think we have a Petco in Corpus Christi .
Bedtime .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9302185

Emma is so adorable and groomed so beautifully. I love her pose! Cecil is sweet and I love the head pose. It looks like he's asking you to repeat whatever you said.

I'm sure the trainer can help you with the issues.

Smitty has been gaining weight and is now at 17 pounds. He's as adorable as ever but I feel he should lose two pounds. We'll see what the vet says. His other issues are calming down dramatically. He had his shower with me again last night and I used Frizz-Ease shampoo for the second wash and when he dried off I used the same brand as a spray conditioner. He would stay in place for hours as I brush and comb him.

When we adopted him one of the ladies at the shelter asked if we considered a cage and she explained how comforting they are to dogs. We were open to any suggestions. He has his bed under a bench so that's a cage of sorts but without a door. Now he's found his own perfect cage under Jack's chair. We know he doesn't want to be bothered or play when he's under the chair. If I bring out the brushes and combs he appears eager and takes his spot for the grooming.

The vet suggested trying Prescription Diet dry dog food and using it as a treat. We did and he loves it.

To all who follow this thread: please post photos of your pups, regardless of age. Thanks!

Thumbnail by pirl

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9302603

Emma & Cecil are adorable !!!!

Smitty has truly found his peace of mind at your house Arlene, it's as if that chair was made just for him...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9302685

Emma and Cecil were also perfectly named.

He has. He loves his life here and I don't blame him.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9311129

Showing off my pip squeak Dutchess & our beautiful foliage...

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9311212

Pip squeak looks so lovely with the fantastic autumn foliage you have there, Christine.

No colors yet on maples and other trees but the Crape Myrtle, 'Powhatan', is glorious.

Thumbnail by pirl

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9311408

Yes it is glorious, we've had an excellent foliage season this year, makes up for last year when the leaves just fell off the trees. Irene put a hurting on nature last fall, some small towns up north still havent recovered. I'm hoping for alot of snow this winter, it's been along time since we've seen a blizzard, you've had more snow than us and thats just so wrong on so many levels LOL !!!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9311521

I'd love a good blizzard, too! It's great for cooking and baking though it's awful for the waistline.

Irene was a nightmare. This was the view through the living room French doors the next morning. We lost trees and power. Of course, with the limbs down it did stop the deer from entering our garden.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9311937

What a mess you had to clean up, did you have any damage to your house? Stopping the deer was a good thing for you. This was a bit of the mess she left us and we were very lucky compared to others up here.This is behind our building, the Esopus Creek that leads out to the Hudson River.

Thumbnail by jasminesmom   Thumbnail by jasminesmom   Thumbnail by jasminesmom      

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9311942

No damage to the house, thankfully.

Wow! That's worse than cleaning up limbs and cutting back for a week. What a horror!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9315314

Sorry I mentioned Irene !!!!! Here's comes Sandy, are you going to stay home or leave ?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9315439

We're never told or advised to evacuate so we'll stay here. I just hope it doesn't happen.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 25, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9315546

This time I hope the weathermen's records hold and they are wrong again.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9315761

Me, too!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9315768

Me, three !!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012

Post #9315782

Smitty doesn't care. He wants Jack in sight every moment of the day, and his meals, but not much else...not even his showers but he got one (with me, again) last night. How come he doesn't want Jack in the shower instead of me? Not fair!

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9316731

LOL !!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 27, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9316915

Typical male , LOL
I shouldn't have said that , but too good to pass up .. Sorry !

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9317169

Arlene & others that are in Sandy's path, be safe and I pray she will keep her wraith off land on the east coast !!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012

Post #9317214

Smitty is a typical male. He'd never come in here to see me unless it's his dinner time. Men!

Thanks, Christine. We're prepared and at least the weather isn't cold or hot so we won't need the heat if the electricity goes out.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9317443

I was checking this thread as usual for your sweet pets. Be safe all.

Ivy
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 27, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9317484

All my monsters are well. Izzy, the cat, is now sleeping in the puppies crate. Only place she can peace and quiet.

All three dogs and the cat follow me everywhere. Of course, that is because I feed them and take them for their walks.

Be safe everyone in the NE. Maybe it is time to head West for a few weeks. Weather here in Las Vegas tomorrow will be 80 degrees and no wind.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012

Post #9317729

I wouldnt mind being in Vegas night now, they say we are getting heavy winds and there are alot of tree's full out there which means alot of them will come down. Well I'm praying they are wrong and Sandy will fool everyone and decide to go out to sea...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9317863

I'm hoping Sandy dissipates and no one is hurt. Just clouds and wind here now. Time for me to go out and plant some astilbe since I know they'll get watered in quite well. Be safe, everyone. This storm will supposedly affect 60 million people.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9318163

The transportation system is shutting down bit by bit among other things. The store shelves are empty and so are some of the ATM's.
Ivy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9318202

Aren't the subways and mass transit in the city shutting down tomorrow in the late afternoon?

Flooding is happening about 45 miles from us around Fire Island and the rain hadn't even begun when the flooding started so the wind must be whipping the water into a frenzy. We're fine. The water is not rising here...yet.

If they have mandatory evacuation we won't go - they won't/can't accept pets.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 28, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9318261

My pet goes where I go .I didn't know any better and didn't have my long haired dachshunds papers with me , only her tags , We had an "on time" delivery to make in Canada. Coming back , the USA border wouldn't let me bring Jessie back into the states . I picked her up and crawled out of the truck . My husband , at the time said I was crazy . I started walking back into Canada and told the agent over my shoulder that Canada would just have to feed me . That is a shaky bridge over , out of Detroit, and don't think any foot traffic , but I was determined and the USA agent could see that . Well , he backed down . Then when we were being checked , I went in to collect my pistols that I had to check when we left the states and they gave me the wrong ones . I had to tell them again what I had and they finally came up with mine . I would have been an unhappy camper if they had been given to someone else .
Good for you Pirl , if my pet goes down , I'll be right beside them .
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9318273

The flooding and winds will be worse tomorrow.
Subways and commuter trains were shutting down this evening at 7pm. buses by 9pm. Path trains shutting down at 12.01am, and over here, the pets are welcome at the evacuation centers/shelters in all 5 bouroughs. N.J transit also shutting down and will be suspended by 2am.
Evacuation at the Rockaways, parts of Brooklyn, lower Manhattan and some parts of Staten Island and Long Island Sound. Those who do not leave are told to get to higher ground.
Just saw that New York, New Jersey and Connecticut has declared a state of emergency. I hope everyone stays safe.

Ivy
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 28, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9318318

Be careful everyone. Hugs, Sharon and the brood.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9318351

I'm so glad we got a generator. Last year we were without power twice for a week.

I managed to get my bulbs planted, a few beds weeded & the leaves raked out and then ground up the leaves.
I'm doing the wash now 'cause the washer & dryer are not on the generator's circuit.

Good luck to everyone!
Tam
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9318363

Hi Pirl and the rest of you up North. We have gusting winds, but that is about it. It will go down to 39 next wee at night. My son and family that live on the outer Banks of NC, they have some rain wind 50m h, but in they case every time they have the North Eastern wind the water goes out to the ocean. My grandkids where walking on river bed where two days ago it was 8' deep. That is crazy. But I am glad they don't have to evacuate. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9318366

We have a few neighbors with generators and it sounds like we live in the airport when everyone has them running. I made a pot of coffe for that "just in case" and we can heat it up as we need it on the gas cooktop in the morning.

I was hesitant to plant the 480 alliums that arrived on Friday since I'm sure they wouldn't want 5 to 10" of water so I'll tackle them next week. I did cut all available dahlias and love having all that color in the house!

So far we just have very light rain and winds are at all of 4 mph. Not 40 but 4. This is the calm before the storm, I fear.

Stay safe, everyone. The winds scare me most.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9318369

Hope everyone stays safe, Etelka.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9318736

Your dahlia's are beautiful, isnt it a shame they dont smell... Well the winds are starting to kick up and there is a nice chill in the air.. Stay safe everyone and try to keep in touch if you can..
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9318746

Thanks, Christine. I do love dahlias and didn't realize I had so many this year. I left many in the ground because I didn't care for them but they all survived the winter and were a foot tall by mid-May. If dahlias had a scent I doubt I'd grow anything else!

Smitty was very interested in the dahlias and was sniffing them but quickly got bored.

Thumbnail by pirl

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9318976

Oh I just don't get tired of seeing that cute Smitty!

We're not in a good spot for the storm - they say it'll be worse on the right side of it and the center passes pretty close to us. We're to its right. But we're set.

I hope my dahlias come back. They were a really nice pop of color this fall - took all summer to get settled in so not a long show. Or maybe they just don't like the heat?
Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9318992

Thanks. He always looks like a stuffed toy to me.

So glad to hear you're safe. The water at two homes, across the street, has risen at a rapid rate. Scary!

Dahlias had a rough time this year and I just had one bloom for the first time. You'll be digging the dahlias after a hard frost, right? I will as well though I hate the thought of spending an entire day (or more) working on that project.

Forgot to remove the scarecrow's head and she's banging back and forth in the wind!

Thumbnail by pirl

torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9319033

Good afternoon all.

I like the scarecrow.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9319049

Those beds are sure all cleaned up! I never had time to clean out the veggie garden - just a few rows. :-(
I'm planning to leave the dahlia's in the ground. We're almost zone 7 and I have had them come back in some years. I do not have time to dig them. (Its only 4 plants so not a big loss if it doesn't work).

I like the scarecrow too.
Tam
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9319075

Thanks! That was when her dress (from the local thrift shop) was new, this past April. Now the vegetable garden is clean again but it took all last week to get it clean. It will be my dahlia garden next year.

Personally, I liked her more with pink hair.

Thumbnail by pirl

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9319100

And a new dress too? Looks like she's a fashion maven. lol
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9319116

A real beauty.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 29, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9319217

Be safe all of you. Sharon
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 29, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9319605

All the above posts seem like everyone is riding it out without too much damage . Praying it doesn't get any rougher for anyone .

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9320184

checking to say we came through basically whole! We're on the generator and the cell service is very sketchy. But we have landline phone & internet. And satelite TV so better than most around here! I need to walk around outside to verify but it looks like no major damage to the property from what I can see from the house.

Tam

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9320261

We're doing alright here, we had a little rain & wind. 90% of LI is without power so I dont think we'll hear from Arlene today, LI got hit really hard. Glad everyone is fine. Take care
Christine
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 30, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9320274

Keep the good news coming in . Pirl ?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9320838

Has anyone heard from Pirl? I'm worried about her and hope she was able to evacuate before the storm hit. I am afraid the tides just poured into Southold.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9320845

I spoke to my friend on the Island last night and they are still a major mess with no electric and this could go on for weeks, I'm sure Arlene & Smitty & Jack are doing fine even without power. Your in our thoughts & prayers Arlene & family...
Christine
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9320864

Thanks Christine, I was most concerned because Pirl's home is on a bay which faces the ocean and the tides would have just pushed into that area. My nephew is a volunteer fireman on LI and he tells me they are still evacuating people this morning. What a sad situation.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9320880

Your very welcome, I grew up on the Island and back in the 60's hurricanes were fun for us because there wasnt the property & personal damage there is now with these crazy storms, my friend said the bay came up1 mile to Montauk Road, the pictures Newsday is showing are shocking.
Christine
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9320944

I read where Southhold had a mandatory evacuation but sometimes, those of us who have lived through other storms, do not like to leave. We had friends in Seaside Heights, NJ whose home is literally buried in sand now. They did not leave until the streets were under water, they never expected such devastation. I left LI in 64. :-)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9321223

I drove around yesterday - the landlines went down (along with internet) for over 24hrs. The damage is extensive, even w/o the flooding those closer to the coastal areas & rivers had. A barn just down the road had the siding & roof blow off one side, a gorgeous stone house has a huge pine tree in teh middle of it. Another place has a tree crushing their car. Lots of downed trees. Amazing.

I sure hope Pirl & family are OK! I bet they will be off the grid for quite a long time though.
Tam

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9321245

I had to stop watching the TV today, my heart is broken for all those that have lost so much and will never recover.
ardesia, It will be 20 years Dec. 2 that I moved up here, I LOVE living in the country.. I didnt know that they evacuated Southhold, I'm sure Arlene is fine where ever she is and I bet she is missing the internet, I'm counting my blessings.
Tam it's good hearing from you, I had heard that parts of Pa were hit really hard
Christine
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 31, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9321246

Prayers 'specially for you and family , Pirl .
We're all waiting to hear .
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9321313

Christine, I used to spend time in Blue Mountain as a child, it is a very beautiful place. I just heard from my nephew who lives near Pirl and they do not expect to have the power back on for another 4 weeks - at best. I hate that I cannot do anything to help out. They have 3 kids in school or I would go and pick them up and bring everyone down here. I wonder how the schools are going to stay open without power?

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9321743

ardesia, it sounds like things are getting worse instead of better out there, I know Arlene must be missing us terribly by now, on a good note my friend on the Island did say there are line crews from every where that starting hitting the Island so hopefully they will get power back. We have some real cold coming in to us this weekend and I feel for those that dont have generators. This is all so sad. Prayers for all.
Christine

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9321946

One of my friends who lives just 5mi away just lost power! They've been up since the storm but the power company estimates it won't be on again until Sun. They did buy a full house generator so will be fine. Another friend said her's is projected to be off until the 7th (Wed)! They don't have a whole house generator so have been getting by with our small generator (loaner) to keep the fridge & freezer going. She said they switched it over to a space heater so she could take a sponge bath w/o freezing. (I offered her the use of our shower but she says she's fine).

We are almost 100mi away from the coast!

Tam
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 1, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9321973

I out here area on the internet and thy said it may take 4 weeks for power to return.

Arlene is a trooper but I would just like to know they are all OK. Have a safe day everyone. Sharon
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9322078

I remember growing up without frigirators, freezers and no indoor plumbing. We had a deep well that we pumped in winter we wraped it with straw so it wont freeze. We bought food every day cooked it and ate all the parishables. I guess if I lived in a area that has lots of bed weather, I would get me a manual water pump and have a fireplace, you could find a lots of wood to use. Store can goods and you can survive on potatoes and caned vegt. and fish for weeks. Etelka
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9326260

I hope Pirl is okay. My bosses live in LI and I have no idea how they are faring. I just got power back this afternoon. Still no work yet. Phones are working about as strange as ever.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9326287

i just heard from pirl. they are good!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 6, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9326441

Clue all of us in . We have worried about her . Maybe she doesn't have access to a puter .

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9326456

they only lost power for one night...but her computer died. she'll be raring to post with her new laptop shortly.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 6, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9326470

She has become a friend on this thread and have worried about her after I learned she was right on the water . I know others know her and have even met her , I haven't , but she is special , to us all , me too . Her and her D H are devoted to the new pooch , my kind of people .

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9326725

Thank you trackinsand for letting us know Arlene is A.O.K. I was worried about them since the Island is in such bad shape. At least this storm hitting today should only bring them some rain & wind, we are getting our first snow and I'm looking forward to it.. Stay safe my friends!!!!
Christine

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9326737

I just read this in the LI paper, keep praying for Arlene and family & also my friends down there.
Christine

A powerful nor'easter is expected to batter Long Island on Wednesday with strong, gusting winds and another round of coastal flooding along the same shorelines that saw extensive damage last week from superstorm Sandy.

The National Weather Service issued a high-wind warning for expected "damaging winds," effective from 1 p.m. Wednesday to 4 a.m. Thursday. Such a warning means "a hazardous high wind event is expected," in this case with 25- to 35-mph winds and gusts as high as 60 mph.

Some gusts along the coast may even peak at 70 mph, said David Stark, meteorologist with the weather service in Upton.

Such winds are capable of bringing down trees and power lines, and creating minor property damage, the warning said.

The weather service also issued a coastal flood warning for the South Shore, Long Island Sound and Peconic and Gardiners bays of eastern Long Island from late morning Wednesday through 7 a.m. Thursday.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 7, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9327054

Oh no , not more !
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9327095

Oh, yes! Storm Athena has begun to batter us already with more high winds and some rain but tonight will bring even worse weather. To the north and west of the city (NYC) they'll get snow.

Glad to hear all is okay, Tammy. Same for you, Christine.

We're absolutely fine and the storm last week was nothing more than a minor inconvenience. By now the wind and rain is "just another day".

Actually, we live on a peninsula between Jockey Creek and Town Creek. To the southeast there is Shelter Island and they took more of the storm than we did but both creeks rose higher than we've ever seen them. The South Fork is south of us and those who live on the barrier beaches got slammed or wiped out as it always happens and they rebuild with the help of the government (you and I) and it happens over and over and over again.

We didn't get a drop of water and it wasn't a problem for us - just the neighbors on the water, which is Southold Bay and then Great Peconic Bay. Glad we are not on the ocean, which is 14 miles east of us.

Smitty was back in the shower with me last night. One of these days the poor thing will bite my toes! He's now at 17 pounds!

I did get the laptop home and just opening it required a call to the Geek Squad. Learning to use it sounds so easy when the pro's explain it but not when I try and do it so my computer guy will help me out. Here I sit at the library watching the rain out of many windows...boring.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9327142

What a relief hearing from you Arlene and so very happy to hear all is well, I just got off the phone with a friend in Central Islip and she said it's snowing like crazy, we've got nothing happening here yet !!!
I hope you get to know your new laptop soon, I dread the day mine bites the dust I've got Vista and I love it.
Stay warm & safe
Christine
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9327180

What a relief to hear the Arlene, husband and her darling dog, Smitty, are just fine. I was anxiously awaiting some news. It's amazing how much we care about our DG friends. God bless, Betty
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 7, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9327339

I think all the family of this thread has been accounted for . So much relief .
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 7, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9327416

Arlene, I went to the newspaper in your area every night on line trying to find out if you were OK. So glad to hear from you.

Now we can get back to our normal dog bragging thread and no more problems. And, I promise, after watching the NE's Tropical Sandy storm, I will never complain about our weather again.

Our weather has been in the low 80s. It has been beautiful. A cold front coming down from the NW and we are suppose to drop close to 20 degrees over night and pick up winds.

My puppies are so spoiled with our beautiful weather I am curious about how they will react to the colder weather. I know how I react. I will probably need to purchase them a sweater.

Everyone keep inside away from your second front of bad weather. Stay warm and safe. Sharon

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9327684

Once again Long Island got hit hard from the storm last night, let's pray that Arlene & family are fine. We had a few flurries and it's very windy this morning. Stay safe everyone & God Bless
Christine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9328062

When I got home from the library (where I now reside) we got the call from the computer guy to drop off the laptop so he could load the photos from my old hard drive onto it. It's a one mile drive from home but the wind and the wet snow were horrid. Poor Staten Island and NYC! Some areas in there got 7 to 9 inches of it and it was the worst kind - not light and fluffy like you see on Christmas cards. This was wind driven, wet, huge clumpy flakes and the drive back home was a bit worse.

I'll end up getting my daughter to help me out with the laptop. It's a major personality conflict for me and Smitty is of NO help but just his face makes me smile.

If they'd set me up with a bed, room for Jack and Smitty, I could live here at the library. It's an historic building, huge windows (the better to see the constant rain with, my dear) and nice and quiet.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9328131

Gee Arlene, you cant catch a break, now I hear they are imposing the odd/even days to get gas just like back in the seventies, although that may work out better for you all. Keep up your positive attitude !!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9328143

It's the law in NJ but I haven't heard it here...yet. That's still okay with me - better than life without electricity or heat or food or a roof over our heads. My prayers to all who are suffering such awful losses though this most difficult time.

I'm actually typing on the new laptop!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9328154

We have the odd even days here - it's much better.

Pirl how is the new laptop? Can you start a new thread? this is getting very slow.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9328169

We got gas on Tuesday and there were only three cars in front of us. It went fast!

I'll try and find a new photo of Smitty and start a new thread, Elsie. Sorry about that!

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9330321

Since Pirl's experience with Smitty inspired me I just want to let her know that yesterday
I finished my Orientation to volunteer at AnimalHumane Shelter. It is Albuquerque's oldest
and largest private shelter, funded entirely from donations and service fees, no federal,
state or city funding at all. 66% of all monies go to animal care, only 10% to administrative
expenses. Over 400 trained volunteers make that possible and I'm pleased to be one of them.

They will finish my background check next week and I'll have another training day in working
with new adopters on their responsibilities and the help we can offer to them on any challenges
with their pets. I'll be assigned to the adoption facility near my house.

I'm a cat person so the biggest surprise was that I really enjoyed working with the dog trainers
and the dogs. The facility offers ongoing puppy and dog training to all new owners which
is likely why their "rate of returns" on adoptions is very low. They do behavior analysis of each
dog and they are categorized accordingly to help adopters get matched to appropriate animals.
They do the same analysis for cats but we cat lovers know how that works out. Cats are far better
con artists than dogs!

So thank you Pirl (and Smitty) for inspiring me to do this.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9330445

Congratulations, June! I am glad I helped inspire you but bet you'd have done it even if Smitty weren't on the scene.

Sounds like it's a very worthy organization and I wish you tons of happiness joining pets with their new families.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

November 11, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9330453

A lot of joy and a ton of tears . Most rewarding thing I've ever done .Unbelievable what you'll see . The good and the bad in people , and the forgiving love in animals . Thank you for giving yourself for this .
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9330506

So true.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9330865

June you are truly an angel, God Bless you for caring, as digger said tons of joy & tears.
Hugs
Christine

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America