Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Watermelon Woes...

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9204124

What the heck is happening to my watermelons?? It looks like I'm getting a lot of BER-like lesions & some splits on the skins. We've had about 5" of rain since Tuesday and another storm is hitting right now.

The melons are sitting a pine bark mulch bed but some are in the grass along the perimeter fence around the garden. Would this be part of the problem?? With all the rain & humidity there hasn't been much drying of the ground.

Added text: I was watering with a large diameter sprinkler off the drip system. Would the spray watering add to the problem??

Crimson Sweet & Congo before on 6/26..

C & C today...

End Rots...

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 4:23 PM

Thumbnail by kevcarr59   Thumbnail by kevcarr59   Thumbnail by kevcarr59   Thumbnail by kevcarr59   Thumbnail by kevcarr59
Click an image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9204366

You know me, That is same that happened to my GR melons and CS melons, high humidity, no rain, blazing sunshine, and a fungicide that didn;t work. That was last year that happened as my experience.
Wait. I am sure more will reply with more useful info. Me l am believing the roots of the plant and a good fungicide have more to do with it than anything else
Koriput
Shullsburg, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
8:48 PM

Post #9384135

Just cruising through the forums looking for items of interest like watermelons and tomato stuff.

Since there were no further reports on your affliction, thought I would throw my two cents in!

Looking at the spot and its location and your weather reports seems similar to an article I was just reading about blossum end rot on tomatoes. That article said primary cause was from PH of soil being off which inhibits the intake of calcium plus just a lot of water can drown out roots with similar effects. So if you never found out anything different, might want to have your soil tested (a good idea for any serious gardener).

Sure never had any over watering problems with mine last year here in southern Wisconsin, but sure did a lot of watering by hand though!

Cheers

Joe

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9386671

I didn't have much response but with some conversations with different people they pretty much had the same conclusion. Plus the fact being gone for several weeks and having knee surgery to recuperate from really took my attention away from the garden...

Thanks for your input...

Kevin

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9387448

Kev,
Speaking of BER, I'm exploring the use of COMFREY TEA as a possible deterrent to hindered calcium intake.

There's a website that's talking all about COMFREY benefits over on Pinterest, and I noticed that Comfrey facilitates the uptake of calcium in plants. So, I just thought about what it might do for our tomatoes, bell peppers, and YOUR watermelons.

I'm feel another garden experiment coming on...

Linda

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2013
12:59 AM

Post #9387845

Linda, you ARE the mad scientist on the loose!!!!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 17, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9387931

Linda do you have a comfrey plant??? if so where did you get it ??
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

January 20, 2013
10:53 PM

Post #9391990

For watermelon, I have tried to keep the ground under the melons them selves dry, but watering the plant roots with drip. Then I read recently that once they start making melons not to add nitrogen fertilizer any more but some 0-10-10 every three weeks till they are ripe. You might want to research that for your area.

At the time I transplant the plants out, I add a couple tablespoons of bone meal, alfalfa meal and organic fertilizer to each hole, work it in to the dirt well before placing the transplant in the hole, water well with vit b1 for transplant shock and that seems to produce good melons

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2013
12:15 AM

Post #9393263

Thanks for that info, it was the first time I've tried to grow WMelons. Maybe this year will be a little bit better. I did the melons in a grow pouch on a bed of pine bark mulch, so should I concentrate watering more to the container & the root system, or should I also water the leaves and the vine?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America