-
AuthorContent
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9204174

I have such trouble growing the beautiful dahlia here in Tn..The first year we were here they were awesome and looked gorgeous now I can't get them to do anything...When they first peek through the ground it's like they wither up and die...Could I transplant them now into a box garden with better soil? Or should I leave them be? I want to grow these beauts but hate wasting money on them if they are only going to die

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9207186

wonder why they are dying????
I had them in containers since they won't overwinter here and they did fine
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 16, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9207686

Dahlia's need a good fertilised soil, they like Humas / Manures or good compost added to planting area as this allow's moisture to be retained around the tubers and roots, they are very hungry plants too, I dont live in your zone, i'm much cooler with lots of rain but I still water my Dahlia's every second day otherwise the the tubers dry out and shrivle up,

These dahlia tubers are not buried deep under ground, infact they are planted very shallow normally, I would maybe dig one of your tubers up to examine it and check if the soil is too dry or too wet, have you gave a feed since last year when the tubers gave a good show, maybe give a liquid feed now. too.

Look out for slugs / snails at night time as they love Dahlia's (all parts of the plants, Rabits love the tubers too however they are toxic to other animals. Earwigs love to lay asleep in daytime curled up inside the flower heads or even the buds and come out in evening to feed on the flowers / buds, and the leaves so look out for holes nibbled in these areas, the slugs and snails normally leave a slimmy trail behind.
These are just a few guidlines that you could check out and maybe either help to save some tubers or at best, change the conditions for future.
Good luck. WeeNel.
kountrykitten
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9226966

thank you ladies where I have them is very dry hard soil, and I was afraid to water alot cause I know they don't like wet feet, but will take your advice and water every two days Thanks so much...>The first year I planted where they are at now they were beautiful and did fine. My husband is going to build a flower box for them & I will buy some miracle grow soil to put in there. Maybe next year will be a better year for them...Thanks again

KK
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9226982

Be careful on translating someone else's exact watering frequency to your garden. I think it's fine to experiment with watering more often if you've been keeping them too dry, but don't assume that every 2 days is the right frequency for you. Before you water, try sticking your finger, wooden skewer, etc down a few inches into the soil to see how wet it is. If it's dried out then very 2 days may be a good frequency, but if it's still wet then you should hold off, your proper frequency could be 3 days, 4 days, once a week, etc.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 9, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9270115

I planted dahlia in a14 inch container last year and I got lots of blooms.This year I pinched back the top, the blooms are forming fine but early in the morning the plant looks vibrant but about 10 am or so the plant begins to wilt,I gave it about 2 liters of water today and it seems to pick up.Can i give it bonemeal at this stage?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

September 10, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9270785

Bonemeal is a good natural feed but it's a slow release type that you wont see any benefit right away but to be honest, I prefer these type of feeds for bulbs, tubers ect as the feed gets taken up by the tuber / bulbs before it shows you healthy top growth, like better flowers or greenery, tubers retain this better than just roots and hold onto the feed for longer.

Ecrane is right in as much as what watering I do here is maybe not what you need so I gave my regime as an example that Dahlia's, the tuberous ones, require much more water than we think but as mentioned also, you don't let them sit in water, but you did say your soil is VERY dry therefore assume there is no Humus matter in the soil that will allow moisture from your watering to be held in the planting area long enough for the tubers to get plumped back up again after being bone dry in your temp.
I would imagine from your description of your soil it will not be able to hold onto water or nutrients / like plant food etc, so you will need to water Much more often BUT, you do need to test the soil so you can learn how quickly the soil a few inches down is drying out.

Not sure IF you are able start a compost heap / container ect and throw in all your household scraps from veg peelings and coffee grinds and lots of other UNCOOKED scraps, anything that is NOT man made is good, once this has rotted down and has no smell, crumbles in your hand, then you have the best organic humus and feed to add to your very dry soil. this constant addition will gradually sweeten your soil, add air into it and help it retain some moisture that ALL plants need unless they naturally require very arid / dry conditions.
Hope this helps you understand what we gardeners can do to help break up dry soil and help feed our plants at the same time,
Good luck and happy gardening. Weenel
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 1, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9292883

MY DINNER PLATE DAHLIA GAVE ME A BEAUTIFUL BLOOM. I TOOK A PICTURE BUT WILL POST IT WHEN MY DAUGHTER DOWNLOAD IT FOR ME. ITS SO FUNNY I WENT AWAY FOR TEN DAYS AND LEFT MY GARDEN TO THE MERCY OF NATURE . LUCKILY IT RAINED FOR 3 OR 4 DAYS AND THE PLANT IS DOING WELL
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 20, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9310849

HI GARDEN BUDDIES THIS IS THE PICTURE OF MY DINNER PLATE DAHLIA. ALL YOUR ADVICE DID HELP ME

Thumbnail by cytf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9312570

That is a beautiful bloom and the advise that was given helps all of us. Isn't it funny how one persons problem, and the solutions presented not only helps the one that asked, but the many others that follow the post.
Thanks.
Also, there is so much good advise on the dahlia forum. Many, many knowledgable friends here on DG.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 5:55 PM
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 24, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9314423

thank you MyRee I appreciate you nice comment.I really did some work on my dahlia plant this year

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America