Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

exciting to me...

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

This. I've never had a pitaya before. And watching the changes is really cool. I'm guessing this is the beginning of flowers.

Day one... Then day two!

Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't know what the plant is, but they look like roots to me My Echinopsis spachiana has sent out a few of those, at least they look similar, then they dry up. Xuling

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

It's a dragonfruit, pitaya undata. Flowers then Fruit come out the side of the pad. This pad grew this month and is the only one that has these on it. Apparently this one self pollinates and the fruit is sweet. It's alien like!

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Oops Hylocereus Undata.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Yes, those are aerial roots. Let me guess, they're on the side away from the sun. The plant is reaching out to grab on to something so it can keep growing up. The flower is very different. It looks a little like a new branch when it starts out, comes out of the apex, opens at night.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Cool! There are more today. One more on that one and a two on another new pad! It's so cool to try and figure out what is going on. Should I add something for it to cling to?

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Sure, stake it. You can also put it by a wall or structure, or tie it to a tree. Those roots will grab on pretty tight over time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.