Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Florida Gardening: What has been your experience with Clematis terniflora?

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LandscapeGardener
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9204319

Will anyone who's grown Clematis terniflora, common names Sweet Autumn Virginsbower, also Thai Clematis (and possibly others) tell me what your experience has been? Is it a garden thug that will make you curse the day you decided to plant it? Have your neighbors cursed the day you planted it? Has it been reliably fragrant? Does it need strong support? Does it wrap up it's support so tight that it is a dreaded chore to prune? Is it just a vigorous vine that plays nice with it's garden neighbors as long as it's been given needed space(a bad rep from mistaken ID with other vines)? A pain in the ... but worth it for the fragrance? How much- and what- care does Clematis terniflora need? Please share your experiences, good and bad, with this vine. I'm all ears. Well, actually eyes. You know what I mean.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9205719

Sorry I have not grown it but I am thinking about it.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9206849

from FINEGARDENING.COM:

This deciduous, late-flowering twining vine with deep green leaves and profuse, fragrant white flowers is easy to grow and will thrive and bloom in shade. Star-shaped blossoms are 1 inch across, appearing from late August to October and maturing to attractive, plume-like seed heads. The shiny green foliage is leathery.
Noteworthy characteristics: Can self-seed invasively and has escaped cultivation and naturalized in the East and Midwest US. Without support, it will sprawl along the ground, covering up to 10 feet and choking most weeds.
nikkers390
Fort Myers, FL

August 17, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9245230

I'm in borderline zone SW 9b/10a too cold for Mangos too hot for clemaitis. I had sweet autumn clemaitis in Chicago. I absolutely loved it! Never a thug. Has anyone grown it in my zone?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America