AuthorContent
av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9204843

Hi Guys,

I'm building a shade house so my Epis can spend the summer out of the greenhouse oven. LOL Gets about 115 in there even with an exhaust fan , louvered windows and oscillating fans inside.

I bought a roll of snow fence to use for the shade house roof ( http://www.hooverfence.com/wood/snow-fence.htm) I plan on building a sturdy frame and using the double woven 13 guage galvanized wire between the slats to hang the baskets from. The fencing has 1 1/2 inch slats with a 2 1/2 inch space between them. I think I'll be needing a shade cloth on top of it, but what percent sunblock should I buy? I'm hoping someone out there can help with this problem. I don't want to give them too much shade, but the North Carolina sun can be brutal.

Trading Question: I have about 50 different Epis now, and about 20 different aporophyllum. Problem is, they are getting big enough to take cuttings from and trade, but few of them have bloomed, so I'm not POSITIVE of their ID. Is it acceptable to trade cuttings as long as I tell the person I'm trading with and let them know to check the flower when it blooms? What do you all think?

Rox

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 14, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9205205

I can't help you with the sunblock question, but on the trading question I just wrote a new tag for one the lady said was purple. It turned out to be a second dark orange, after waiting three years for it to bloom. I, personally would wait until you have seen them bloom, but if you really must prune them you should tell the recipient you haven't seen it and this is what it's SUPPOSED to be.

Carol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America