Photo by Melody

Tomatoes: O.K.TOMATO PRODUCTION QUESTION?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 11, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9205038

I am here with a story question; I was reading about(watching ads) really, about super producing tomatoes with as few plants as possible. I can say about the heirlooms and this and that of the
seeds that have grown plants like the techniques being talked about.I knew these as "notching" back when.
Okay here we go; A plant makes a bloom stem with blooms, that stem comes from the main stem of the plant,blooms are at the end of the stem.
Next stem is all leaves, the stem after that, all leaves,the next stem has blooms,all individually growing from the main stem.
Well the plants use to grow with the bloom stem as part of the main stem or "notched" into the main stem.The next set of leaves from that notch would also have blooms instead of only leaves.
I was looking at my plants confused as could be until,after a while, I began to remember the technique, and that I have had plants before that grew this way. Okay ,any ideas, any directions to any information?
This is possible to try on some of my plant branches only not all,Any of you may know notching as something other,I'm still looking for clarity, Confused I still am some.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9205064

juhur7 - I think I'm following your line of thought...

I'm not sure "notching" as you call it, could be done with tomatoes. Something like this could probably be done with trees and woody shrubs. I think the term would be "grafting." I've seen photos where apple trees produce several different kinds of apples.

See: E. Grafting to put multiple scion varieties on a single tree - at this site:

[HYPERLINK@instruct1.cit.cornell.edu]

(gotta go - be back soon...)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9205090

Hi Bee How ya doing? Well everyone was talking about pruning or sucker removal from the tomato plants.We didn't use to do that because tomato branches did not sucker in the old days.(plants did though from the base of the stem)

Okay I am sure you have seen your share of tomato blooms,that little leaf stem that occurs on that bloom stem is what I am talking about, The entire main stem use to grow from these,the plants are not doing that anymore?
That little bloom stem is acting like a sucker branch not a main stem,The main stem leaves appear with that and keep growing right on up,So your left looking at what looks like a sucker branch only it was suppose to be the main stem? If your confused ,me too! It's more like I am talking about pruning tomato plants only it is about that the plants are really not suppose to be doing what they are doing. Really!!
And besides this means I know and I am sure I am losing a third of my production capability(That counts in my small garden)

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9205884

juhur7 - I must confess: I've never been that observant.

I used to sow tomato seeds and let the plants do their thing. Then I read that one should remove the suckers, so I tried that. Didn't make a difference as far as I could tell. Then I read that one should remove all the lower leaves so they don't drag on the ground. Tried that and it seemed the tomatoes didn't do as well as when I left the leaves on.

So what do I do now? I sow the seeds and let the plants do their thing. They're happy, and I'm happy. Sometimes going back to square one is a good thing. LOL

Sorry I had to go in a hurry, but daughter called and we took the dogs for an evening walk. Early this morning, we took them to the dog park - great fun!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9205910

We don't have dog park's around here, there was one for a while only it didn't last. farther south the metropolis has them.
Of course with a couple of million people and there pets they would have too I haven't had a dog in more than a decade,they are fun healthy for you also.
The thing I have is feral cat named camoflage for his looks.He's been here since 2003 anyway.

As trying to keep with the thread I am really glad tomatoes aren't as finicky as cukes or melons,Maybe that is why they keep gaining popularity as easy garden plants, besides that they are great on burger's and salads.
I am also glad it rained for two solid hours last night,poured down in buckets!! First really good rain here since May...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9206026

juhur? what tomatoes did you plant? or is several varieties doin the same thing? just curious, my tomatoes are krazy- they are all waterlogged and I'm pitching and pruning, waiting on dry days again...I personally have so many branches on the things I haven't figured out which one is doing what, and I have tomatoes bloomin and fruit set on what I would have thot wouldn't have anything on them at all- they were neglected so long...best pic I have at the moment

Thumbnail by kittriana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9206108

Yes it is difficult to tell,most of mine I also let grow however they want. Only thing is the difference of the plants now and the past. They use to be heavier at the bloom stem.If you look you will see every third stem branching has the blooms. Those use to be heavier and part of the main stem,and every branch had blooms.Not today's plants, I am wondering that,where did those high production standard plants go?
Eventually I may get lucky enough to once again have those plants.I had some from my seeds only so did many.I will have them again hopefully as before,only it is going to take me a while of watching and going through plants.It took me eight years? to make one that would grow that way from seed the last time Technique, observation and patience.
Some plants are bred to be neglected ,even tomatoes, I have a little sugar lump, that hasn't been watered or given any care at all besides spring mulch, it hasn't wilted once despite some the driest ,hottest weather here ever.
Different standards and heirlooms are mostly what I have planted.
And your plants are looking really good,those tomatoes look delicious.I always did love that red shade to that green background.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9208751

I tend to 'baby' mine at first, keeping the suckers pinched off and letting one main stem develop. I have also learned that to keep blight from forming too early that I need to watch out for low hanging leaves, so I diligently kept the lowest leaves trimmed this year (along with a spraying program). I have had a wonderful tomato year so far. With the exception of a lot of splitting due to the dry weather, followed by a lot of recent rain, my tomatoes are wonderful. I just have to keep up with the picking in between late afternoon storms. Now, back to the trimming part...after they get so big, usually about 3-4 feet or so, I give up trying to trim and just let 'er rip. At that point it's all I can do to keep them tied up so they don't break off. I put up a cattle panel and plant my Sun Gold, Sun Sugar, and Sweet Million against that and just entwine them thru the panels with very little trimming, even initially. They just run thru the fence panels and it makes the little tomatoes easy to pick from either side.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9208812

That sounds like the perfect set up. I want to come over and sample some of those SUNSUGARS LOL! I don't have SWEET MILLION, have had it, it is good. This year planted SWEET 100 instead.

I have grown tomatoes in trellis netting so it is somewhat the same idea. Works well, just weave them in each day or two as they grow. Instead trying Florida Weave this year and that seems to work well also.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9208824

The year I grew sweet 100 I had 25 to 30 foot vines with more tomatoes than I was to able to keep up with. That is one of the few hybrids I ever grew with success . That is a nice cherry type tomato!!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9208871

Oh oh. I don't have room for giant vines LOL!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9208919

just double em back over theirselves, or build a grape-type arbor ladder they can possess til finished vining...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America