Uses for a dehydrator

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

A month or so ago I purchased a Nesco Dehydrator with 7 trays, last week I went to the website and bought an additional 4 trays with removable centers. I love finding all the things I can use this for, I already have dehydrated apples, carrots, cucumbers, herbs, zuke, squash, raisin's and citrus. I've made jerky (anyone have a great recipe or tips?) made dog treats, dried gumpaste flowers and real flowers to collect the seeds, proofed bread and now I'm using it as a yogurt maker. I can honestly say this has been the best purchase I've made in ages!

Thumbnail by araness
Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

My sister bought one of these recently. I have the really old round one. One thing I like to do with it is this.
Marinate 1/2 pear or cherry tomatoes in olive oil, garlic and herbs drain them then dehydrate them. Tasty in salads, pasta or whatever.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

One of my favorite veggies to dry is onions.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

how bad is the smell? I'm a bit worried about that...lol rather not have the house smell like onions for the next 6 months

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have been using my excaliber dehydrator as a yogurt maker for years. It has been too hot here so I tried putting the yogurt into a ice chest with extra padding inside to keep in the heat - and it worked! Yogurt is only a tiny bit softer than if I had used 7 hours of electricity!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Well, I don't remember a strong smell. However, I plug mine in in our garage. It has a timer. Good thing for me. Out of sight, out of mind. LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

way to high a humidity here to do that right now, maybe in the winter. LOL I'll just have to deal with the smell. I did parsley today, trying to get the making for soup mixes.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Araness, you should have a very laid back winter. Good luck with everything you dry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images