Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: How to grow tomatillos?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lacey12
Burson, CA

July 14, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9205417

I planted a tomatillo plant last year. It did great, very large, lots of blossoms - no fruit! I went online and learned you must have two plants close together to pollinate. I have done so this year. I am getting very healthy plants again with lots of blossoms and ...again no fruit is setting. I live in northern California, zone 9. What am I doing wrong? I've never even eaten a tomatillo, I just thought it an interesting novelty and I might like them. Now I am taking the challenge and I will have tomatillos - HELP!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9208990

I've never grown them but looks like from all the info on line they are very slow growing, have you seen bees pollinating them?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9210009

I tried growing ONE a few years ago. It grew huge and the branches sprawled in all directions
with blooms coming continuously. BUT--No fruit.
Jen--it grew pretty fast for me.

Then I learned that you need more than one as well. Don't know why yours did not pollinate.
Weather? A lot of rain? No bees? Do you use a lot of sprays in your garden?

Just mulling...some ideas...Gita
Lacey12
Burson, CA

July 19, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9211240

flowAjen,
My plants are very vigorous and about 2 1/2' tall, tons of blossoms.
Gitagal,
My plants have had no insecticides on them. My tomatoes are thriving and loaded with tomatoes so I don't think it is a bee problem. I also have a lot of humming birds. In northern California we won't be getting any rain until mid-September or later. It does seem it has to be a pollination problem. My local nurseryman said he doesn't know anything about them, not very helpful. I'm actually considering using a Q-tip or paint brush and pollinating them myself! Perhaps, it is just too early for them to set fruit.
If I end up with any fruit I well report back.
I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks.
Lacey12
Burson, CA

July 22, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9214377

Folks, here's the bottom line. I was impatient! Fruit is setting, they look like cute little lanterns.
Now to start looking for tomatillo recipes. My Mexican friend says they make great salsa - better than tomato salsa. I better get his recipe.
Thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America